The Book Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: The Book Thread

Unread post by Whack9 »

Lame.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:13 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... r-the-road

"Sixteen years since his last novel, The Road, Cormac McCarthy’s long awaited follow-up has finally been confirmed – with not one, but two new novels to be published one month apart later this year.

The Passenger, out in October, and Stella Maris, out in November, follow siblings Bobby and Alicia Western, “who are tormented by the legacy of their father, a physicist who helped develop the atom bomb”, reported the New York Times on Tuesday."
Oh man I just saw that. I'm super excited.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:31 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 pm
Have you read it yet?
Not yet, have you?

Might check this out next.
https://news.yahoo.com/cormac-mccarthy- ... 30329.html

RIP Cormac
Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:54 pm
Lame.
The book, the author, the death, the article or billy.pilgrim's post?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:25 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:13 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... r-the-road

"Sixteen years since his last novel, The Road, Cormac McCarthy’s long awaited follow-up has finally been confirmed – with not one, but two new novels to be published one month apart later this year.

The Passenger, out in October, and Stella Maris, out in November, follow siblings Bobby and Alicia Western, “who are tormented by the legacy of their father, a physicist who helped develop the atom bomb”, reported the New York Times on Tuesday."
Oh man I just saw that. I'm super excited.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:31 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 pm
Have you read it yet?
Not yet, have you?

Might check this out next.
https://news.yahoo.com/cormac-mccarthy- ... 30329.html

RIP Cormac
Whack9 wrote:
Lame.
Cormac McCarthy dying. Lame as in "damn 😢"
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:29 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Lame.
Ah. Though 89 he published 2 books just last year. I haven't read any of his works, but No Country for Old Men is a great film.

Dr. Nicholas Dodman is cited throughout this article on Animal psychopathology. He's published several books. If Only They Could Speak: Stories about Pets and Their People is well written and very interesting.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:00 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Lame.
Ah. Though 89 he published 2 books just last year. I haven't read any of his works, but No Country for Old Men is a great film.

Dr. Nicholas Dodman is cited throughout this article on Animal psychopathology. He's published several books. If Only They Could Speak: Stories about Pets and Their People is well written and very interesting.
If you read at all, you should read his border trilogy.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:22 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:00 pm
Whack9 wrote:
If you read at all, you should read his border trilogy.
Thanks.

You, especially, would appreciate this book I'm reading:
Never Shake Hands With a War Criminal
Barry Crimmins, 2004

"In a world where political satire has been reduced to oral sex jokes, Barry Crimmins stands out as one of the few humorists who takes the high ground and comments on what's really important. He's truly one of the most hilarious social critics of our generation."
-Liz Winstead, creator of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show"

"He breaks down reality in a hilarious way. He seems ticked off at everything, and when you hear him, you agree. One of the few political comedians who is really good."
-Steven Wright

Barry Crimmins was an American stand-up comedian, political satirist, anti-pedophilia activist (long before Q), author, Air America Radio writer and correspondent, and comedy club owner.
Crimmins was born in 1953 and died in 2018 at 64 :( . He trashes Nixon, Reagan, Daddy Shrub and others, but since it's a 2004 book most of his scathing is directed at Shrub. It's funny, darkly nostalgic, and interesting to compare to Dolt .45's abominations.

Guess who the war criminal is whose handshake Crimmins spurned irl.
Spoiler:

Henry Kissinger
:-||
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I guessed McNamara. If I'm not mistaken, he later committed suicide.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:23 am
Good guess, but Robert McNamara repented of his Vietnam War criminality and even his membership in the Republican party and became a professional humanitarian and private peace activist for decades. He died of natural causes aged 93 and hopefully at peace.

Barry Crimmins MIGHT have shaken McNamara's hand, -0-? . McNamara hasn't been mentioned yet in the book, but Crimmins would have only been 15 when he left DoD in 1968.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:23 am
Good guess, but Robert McNamara repented of his Vietnam War criminality and even his membership in the Republican party and became a professional humanitarian and private peace activist for decades. He died of natural causes aged 93 and hopefully at peace.

Barry Crimmins MIGHT have shaken McNamara's hand, -0-? . McNamara hasn't been mentioned yet in the book, but Crimmins would have only been 15 when he left DoD in 1968.
Ah, thanks. But there was someone in the Nixon administration that later committed suicide. I remember reading about it. Thought it was McNamara, I just checked; it was McFarlane, who attempted suicide. Apparently over the Iran/Contra debacle. I thought he'd actually died; apparently not. You'd think I'd have got this right since my name also has the "Mc" prefix. Oh, well, it's hard to remember things when you've been whooping it up with abandon these past few decades. McNamara, McFarlane, funny how there's no "Mc's" in the current crop of GQP nutjobs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:33 pm
Ah, thanks. But there was someone in the Nixon administration that later committed suicide. I remember reading about it. Thought it was McNamara, I just checked; it was McFarlane, who attempted suicide. Apparently over the Iran/Contra debacle. I thought he'd actually died; apparently not. You'd think I'd have got this right since my name also has the "Mc" prefix. Oh, well, it's hard to remember things when you've been whooping it up with abandon these past few decades. McNamara, McFarlane, funny how there's no "Mc's" in the current crop of GQP nutjobs.
Kevin McCarthy
Mitch McConnell

Whoop it up with abandon some more.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:51 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:33 pm
Kevin McCarthy
Mitch McConnell

Whoop it up with abandon some more.
Opps! I was wrong twice.....McFarlane didn't work for Nixon; it was Reagan. It sure would make it easier on me if I didn't have to chase this stuff down. Besides, it's hard to remember stuff when you're on drugs. But I'll go ahead and advocate for Bannon, Flynn, Powell, Ellis, Rudy, trump, Navarro, Miller, and Meadows killing themselves. They're a shameful lot and deserve to be dragged behind a large Buick.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:09 pm
Opps! I was wrong twice.....McFarlane didn't work for Nixon; it was Reagan. It sure would make it easier on me if I didn't have to chase this stuff down. Besides, it's hard to remember stuff when you're on drugs. But I'll go ahead and advocate for Bannon, Flynn, Powell, Ellis, Rudy, trump, Navarro, Miller, and Meadows killing themselves. They're a shameful lot and deserve to be dragged behind a large Buick.
:thumbup:

Speaking of bigotry, I read some of anti-apartheid activist Alan Paton's works 40-50 years ago. I thought that I had read Ah, but Your Land Is Beautiful, but on reading it now nothing felt familiar.

Written in 1983, it is set in the late 1950s.
... It is a fictional reworking of Paton's own years working as a political activist and of the experience he gained working as the president of the Liberal Party of South Africa.
It was a time of hardening policies and is largely heartbreaking. The passages in the voice of the hateful National Party Afrikaners sound just like our own modern RWers. Paton was a brave man.

However, in 1983 Paton may have sensed the seismic change that was on the horizon. Tragically, he died at 85 in 1988, less than 2 years before Nelson Mandela was released from prison.

Excellent book. :clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:14 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:09 pm
:thumbup:

Speaking of bigotry, I read some of anti-apartheid activist Alan Paton's works 40-50 years ago. I thought that I had read Ah, but Your Land Is Beautiful, but on reading it now nothing felt familiar.

Written in 1983, it is set in the late 1950s.
... It is a fictional reworking of Paton's own years working as a political activist and of the experience he gained working as the president of the Liberal Party of South Africa.
It was a time of hardening policies and is largely heartbreaking. The passages in the voice of the hateful National Party Afrikaners sound just like our own modern RWers. Paton was a brave man.

However, in 1983 Paton may have sensed the seismic change that was on the horizon. Tragically, he died at 85 in 1988, less than 2 years before Nelson Mandela was released from prison.

Excellent book. :clap:
Thanks. I'll see if my local library has it. And with any luck, there will be a drag show for kids happening upon my arrival. Hell, I might even assume a right wing nutjob stance and gather up a bunch of books by Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Sean Hannity and see if I can get them baneed as bullshit.

I remember when Reagan, doing his part for apartheid, vetoed Congress anti apartheid bill. His veto was overridden. Fish slap emoji.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:36 am
Thanks. I'll see if my local library has it. And with any luck, there will be a drag show for kids happening upon my arrival. Hell, I might even assume a right wing nutjob stance and gather up a bunch of books by Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Sean Hannity and see if I can get them banned as bullshit.

I remember when Reagan, doing his part for apartheid, vetoed Congress anti apartheid bill. His veto was overridden. Fish slap emoji.
Any luck finding it, or a story time drag queen :D ? I was an anti-apartheid activist and lobbyist through the 1980s, one of many reasons to despise Reagan and the Repugs.

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Throughout my life I've seen countless movies, cartoons, comics and other cultural references, but I'd never read the original. It can be a bit ponderous as Victorian psychological/sociological novels are wont to be, but still a good read. It's quite short, just 54 pages in the paperback edition I found.

Robert Louis Stevenson, who also wrote Treasure Island, Kidnapped, A Child's Garden of Verses and more, died of a stroke at 44. That sucks.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ummm, I think you may have found the Cliffs notes version. I

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:05 pm
"Unabridged" on the book cover. Do you have a citation showing that it's really longer? Fwiw, this is a tall paperback with small print. Other versions might be a few more pages.

Looks like your 2nd sentence was abridged. :P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:31 pm
O Really wrote:
"Unabridged" on the book cover. Do you have a citation showing that it's really longer? Fwiw, this is a tall paperback with small print. Other versions might be a few more pages.

From Barnes and Noble
ISBN-13: 9781016616416
Publisher: Legare Street Press
Pages: 260
Sales rank: 952,117

But after you insisted, I did find a paperback with 54 pages.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:22 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:31 pm
O Really wrote:

From Barnes and Noble
ISBN-13: 9781016616416
Publisher: Legare Street Press
Pages: 260
Sales rank: 952,117

But after you insisted, I did find a paperback with 54 pages.
:headscratch: I wouldn't think that being a tall paperback with small print could make the difference between 54 pages and 260 pages, but maybe? -0-?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:36 am
Thanks. I'll see if my local library has it. And with any luck, there will be a drag show for kids happening upon my arrival. Hell, I might even assume a right wing nutjob stance and gather up a bunch of books by Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Sean Hannity and see if I can get them banned as bullshit.

Any luck finding it, or a story time drag queen :D ? I was an anti-apartheid activist and lobbyist through the 1980s, one of many reasons to despise Reagan and the Repugs.

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Throughout my life I've seen countless movies, cartoons, comics and other cultural references, but I'd never read the original. It can be a bit ponderous as Victorian psychological/sociological novels are wont to be, but still a good read. It's quite short, just 54 pages in the paperback edition I found.

Robert Louis Stevenson, who also wrote Treasure Island, Kidnapped, A Child's Garden of Verses and more, died of a stroke at 44. That sucks.
Nah, not been to the library in several months. But I am re reading "Generation of Swine; Gonzo Papers Vol 2; Tales of Shame and Degradation in the 80's" by Hunter S. Thompson. It's a bunch of short pieces he wrote about myriad current happenings at the time.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:30 pm

Interesting thing about Stevenson - turns out one of the most comprehensive collections of Stevenson stuff is in the Napa Valley town of St. Helena ("Sain Heleena" for any of you Montanans who might be tempted to mis-pronounce it). https://stevensonmuseum.org/

Why, you ask. Turns out Stevenson had an American wife from California and they honeymooned spent some time in Napa Valley and wrote "The Silverado Squatters" set in the area. During a time when Stevenson wasn't so popular - or at least his stuff wasn't in high (expensive) demand, a very wealthy fan retired, moved to St. Helena and started the Stevenson museum.

It was especially cool to see some original hand-written manuscript for "Jekyll and Hyde". So though I've never read the "original story" I've read from the real "original."