2016 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: 2016 Elections

Unread post by JTA »

What is BRD's take on Gary Johnson?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:... Me: If NC looks at all close - Hillary, if not - third party (not sure which will be on the ballot)....
Green rather than Libertarian, Libertarian rather than Constitution, but don't know what the options will be.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:I'll take (b) for $200, Alex.
And after she quit being a real Republican she was suitably lefty, but hey, she's spent 16 years living with (residentially and/or occupationally) middle-of-the-road guys who got elected. If you're the candidate, it's hard to argue with success.
She lost the last time. :P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:What is BRD's take on Gary Johnson?
Better than being named Harry.
I think he'll be hard on his competitors.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:I'll take (b) for $200, Alex.
And after she quit being a real Republican she was suitably lefty, but hey, she's spent 16 years living with (residentially and/or occupationally) middle-of-the-road guys who got elected. If you're the candidate, it's hard to argue with success.
She lost the last time. :P
She did. And to a middle of the roader.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Touche. :D

Sadly true, but not relative to her at the time.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Problem is, you've got 40ish% of the voters who will voe (D) no matter what, and 40ish% who will vote (R). The entire fight is over the remaining 20% who don't care enough to pick a side.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:Problem is, you've got 40ish% of the voters who will voe (D) no matter what, and 40ish% who will vote (R). The entire fight is over the remaining 20% who don't care enough to pick a side.
I'm always fascinated by those people who are split between a (R) candidate and a (D) candidate. Usually the difference on policies are the polar opposite, yet they're on the fence.... I just find that incredibly weird.

I don't think the policies of Trump and Hillary would be that much different in reality, but the difference is I don't want either of them. It looks as though Hillary's email shenanigans is getting much more traction here as of late, though, even if she's proven in the wrong, I doubt it'll affect her chances of getting elected unless jail time has to be served.

O Really
Admiral

You heard it here first: If either of the current remaining Presidential candidates gets indicted or goes to jail it's way more likely his name will start with "T" instead of "C" or "S".

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

For what are you thinking? Trump University is civil suits.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

THE Hillary Clinton?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Problem is, you've got 40ish% of the voters who will voe (D) no matter what, and 40ish% who will vote (R). The entire fight is over the remaining 20% who don't care enough to pick a side.
That, plus motivating or discouraging some of either 40%. Not every Dem gets my vote, and there's even the rare Republican or Libertarian that does.
bannination wrote:I'm always fascinated by those people who are split between a (R) candidate and a (D) candidate. Usually the difference on policies are the polar opposite, yet they're on the fence.... I just find that incredibly weird....
A lot of those 20% lean one way or the other ideologically but are disgusted enough with both parties that they'll also weigh other things like character, experience, particular local or hot button issues, etc.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:For what are you thinking? Trump University is civil suits.
Nothing in particular. Just another way of saying no way no how is Hillary getting indicted or going to jail. However, the civil suits are fraud- based, so if you use Republican reasoning on Trump as they did on Hillary for either Benghazi or emails (i.e. you did or did not do something and since whatever you did isn't exactly according to the rules and since you were standing around there it must be illegal and you should go to jail), then he'd be up the crick.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: A lot of those 20% lean one way or the other ideologically but are disgusted enough with both parties that they'll also weigh other things like character, experience, particular local or hot button issues, etc.
You've got a lot who'll say they're disgusted with both parties, or "all politicians are scum." But I would contend most of those just aren't paying attention and will still vote for their incumbent, contradicting their "all...scum" statements, and nothing changes. And really, that's not unreasonable since "we" don't get to vote on but one member of the House and IRL coordinating a movement to toss out all incumbents just nogonnahappen.

But if a person reads, it is easy to tell significant differences in Democrats and Republicans. And for better or worse, politics is a team sport.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Done, Hillary vs. Trump. Oh well, Bernie, we'll always have North Dakota. May FSM have mercy on us, ramen.

This part's cool:

In case you missed it, a major party is about to nominate a woman for president

We may follow the lead of Muslim Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh, along with the country that has the 2nd most Muslims after Indonesia, India.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:I am voting for Tom Hill for US House 11, likely a sacrificial lamb in the GOP gerrymandered district.

Bryson 9,636
Hill 9,351
Bummer.

North Carolina Supreme Court:
Sabra Jean Faires' website doesn't give me much reason to vote for her.
Daniel G. Robertson is from MS and thinks it's a plus that he has never held elected office before. I can't find that he even has a website. Doesn't he know any 12 year olds?
Michael R. Morgan has the life and professional experience. I'm voting for him.

Incumbent Robert H. Edmunds, Jr. (GOP) 48.9%
Michael R. Morgan 33.4%
They'll face off again in Nov., but it doesn't look too good.
Oh well, could be worse. I could be like O Really and have zombie pol Tim Moffitt as my newest county commissioner (Buncombe). :P
1312. ETTD.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

This really has nothing to do with the 2016 election, but I just learned from my son the existence of shadow congresspersons. Jesse Jackson was a senator of DC in 1990! Link

Maybe I'm the only one here to finally learn of this. :oops: Better late than never, I guess.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:... This part's cool:

In case you missed it, a major party is about to nominate a woman for president

We may follow the lead of Muslim Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh, along with the country that has the 2nd most Muslims after Indonesia, India.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Nice. But weren't you supporting the old white guy? :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Don't mar my silver lining, grinch. :D

Odds are that I would have been even more enthusiastic for Elizabeth Warren or some other younger female Bernie, and I definitely don't go for old orange guys.
1312. ETTD.