2016 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2016 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Wneglia wrote:HELL FREEZES OVER :o
Said Dr. Frankenstein, "Oops."
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

June 7, our second primary (thanks GOP :roll: ):

My thoughts from March -

US House 11:
Rick Bryson has a lame website and doesn't even list credentials.
Tom Hill has a decent resume, is great on the issues and really lays into the incumbent, Mark Meadows. I'll probably vote for him.

Opinions?
North Carolina judicial elections, 2016, (Edmunds seat)

The seat currently held by Robert H. Edmunds, Jr. will be on the 2016 ballot. Under current state law, Edmunds would have to relinquish his seat in 2021 if he is re-elected in 2016, because he will reach mandatory retirement age.

A 2015 change in state law was set to make Edmunds the first sitting justice who had the option of running in a retention election rather than running against other candidates. Edmunds chose that option, which would have meant that the state's voters would only be able to vote "for" or "against" Edmunds in the November election. If a majority of voters voted "against," the Governor would appoint a new justice to serve until the next general election. Critics cast this as an attempt by Republicans in the legislature to maintain the 4-3 Republican majority on the Court. Edmunds is a Republican, as is the current governor, who would appoint any replacement. Attorney Sabra Faires and two voters filed a lawsuit, claiming the new election method violated the North Carolina Constitution and was not an election at all, but a referendum. Faires said she wanted to run for the seat. A three-judge panel found in favor of Faires and the two voters, and the State Board of Elections established a new candidate filing period of March 16-25. If more than two candidates filed for the seat, there would be a primary election on June 7.

Edmunds and Faires both filed to run for the seat on March 16. Wake County Superior Court Judge Michael R. Morgan then filed on March 21, and was joined later by attorney Daniel Robertson, setting up a primary.
Robert H. Edmunds, Jr. is GOP. Enough reason to dump him? If so, which of his challengers?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Bernie won Rhode Island!!! :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Don't know anything about him myself but progressives are crowing that Jamie Raskin won the congressional primary victory in Maryland's bizarrely contorted 8th. It includes the town I grew up in. :clap:

They're saying, "Jamie's victory would have been major no matter what, because Jamie is one of the leading public intellectuals and political leaders of our time. He literally wrote the book on political reform." The MD 8th has been Dem since 2003, we'll see.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boehner calls Cruz ‘Lucifer in the flesh’

... “Lucifer in the flesh,” Boehner said during a talk hosted by Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif., according to the Stanford Daily. “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

The Ohio Republican, who retired from Congress last fall, said he would vote for whomever the party nominates for president — unless it’s Cruz.

... Boehner, who had previously labeled Cruz a “jackass,” referred to the Texas senator as “Lucifer.” ...
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sixty-two percent of people polled said they have an unfavorable view of the GOP, the highest negative rating the party has seen since 1992, according to a Pew Research Center Poll. Only 33 percent of respondents said they have a favorable impression of the GOP.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... &ocid=iehp

I'm assuming the "33 percent" are the "poorly educated" who Trump loves.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... Only 33 percent of respondents said they have a favorable impression of the GOP....
... with almost 1/3 of Republicans saying unfavorable. :lol:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So blind hate of anything Obama notwithstanding, what would it take for a person to have a favorable view of the Republican Party? I think it would have to be only those who have no idea what the US government does or is supposed to do (or is Constitutionally required to do), who thinks governing is easy, simple, and largely unnecessary, and who is, generally and proudly, all the "ic" and "ist" things. The Republican Party has not done or been anything recently that Republicans have historically stood for. The most popular candidates are those who literally advocate tearing down (and barely avoiding the term "overthrowing") the government. Those who have not set forth any positive ideas, consistently and constantly being only "against." Have you heard any Republican say, "here's what I think the US healthcare system should be..."? Have you heard a viable tax plan (other than constant cut-cut-cut for the high incomes)? Have you heard "here are my priorities for rebuilding the infrastructure (such as the Eisenhower interstates), improving education level, and developing business opportunities? All those things are Republican-friendly topics that previous Republicans have run on. What do we get now? Not reasonable ideas or proposals, fershure.

And don't even get started on the national Republican party organization itself!

If anybody knows a Republican who has a favorable view of the party, ask them why. Then tell us. Enquiring minds want to know.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... Have you heard any Republican say, "here's what I think the US healthcare system should be..."? ...
Paul Ryan’s Big Plan To Replace Obamacare Is An Old Idea That Doesn’t Work
It took him six years to come up with a policy invented in the 1970s.

:D
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... Have you heard any Republican say, "here's what I think the US healthcare system should be..."? ...
Paul Ryan’s Big Plan To Replace Obamacare Is An Old Idea That Doesn’t Work
It took him six years to come up with a policy invented in the 1970s.

:D
About a dozen years ago I checked out Florida's insurance for people with preexisting conditions.
At the time, I was paying $300/month for family coverage.
During the application, I was only asked if I had a preexisting condition, never what type of condition. They then quoted me $6,450/month for me alone.

Asshole joe scarfboro likes to brag about the Florida plan for preexisting conditions.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:Don't know anything about him myself but progressives are crowing that Jamie Raskin won the congressional primary victory in Maryland's bizarrely contorted 8th. It includes the town I grew up in. :clap:

They're saying, "Jamie's victory would have been major no matter what, because Jamie is one of the leading public intellectuals and political leaders of our time. He literally wrote the book on political reform." The MD 8th has been Dem since 2003, we'll see.
Turns out he would be the U.S. Congress' only openly non-theistic member and just the second “out” non-theist in congressional history.

Diversity In D.C.?: Humanist Wins Maryland Congressional Primary
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The real Lucifer called her back home.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Maybe someone's already mentioned it, but I bet if Trump gets the nomination, he will select Christie as VP. I feel this is quite appropriate.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Welcome back, hominy!

They seem to have distanced themselves from each other since Christie looked so disgusted being on stage with Trump soon after the endorsement.

It might make sense in some ways, but I don't think a blue state NJ VP candidate broadens the appeal enough for a NY POTUS candidate. Someone from a swing state may be more likely. I've wondered about VA's Webb, a con Dem. Trump's the type to throw that kind of monkey wrench in the works.

One thing that all POTUS candidates will appreciate for many years to come is how difficult it will be to make a worse VP pick than McCain did with Palin. Dan Quayle owes McCain big time, too.

Aside: My Halloween costume one year was outdoor gear with a homemade button showing Dan in crosshairs and a sign reading, "Hunters for Quayle!". I did not get a visit from the Secret Service.
1312. ETTD.

antialias_2

Unread post by antialias_2 »

Vrede too wrote:
Boehner calls Cruz ‘Lucifer in the flesh’

... “Lucifer in the flesh,” Boehner said during a talk hosted by Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif., according to the Stanford Daily. “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

The Ohio Republican, who retired from Congress last fall, said he would vote for whomever the party nominates for president — unless it’s Cruz.

... Boehner, who had previously labeled Cruz a “jackass,” referred to the Texas senator as “Lucifer.” ...
:lol:
Wow, he broke the 11th Commandment.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:Welcome back, hominy!

They seem to have distanced themselves from each other since Christie looked so disgusted being on stage with Trump soon after the endorsement.

It might make sense in some ways, but I don't think a blue state NJ VP candidate broadens the appeal enough for a NY POTUS candidate. Someone from a swing state may be more likely. I've wondered about VA's Webb, a con Dem. Trump's the type to throw that kind of monkey wrench in the works.

One thing that all POTUS candidates will appreciate for many years to come is how difficult it will be to make a worse VP pick than McCain did with Palin. Dan Quayle owes McCain big time, too.

Aside: My Halloween costume one year was outdoor gear with a homemade button showing Dan in crosshairs and a sign reading, "Hunters for Quayle!". I did not get a visit from the Secret Service.
Well, that may be, but I will stick with my prediction as I relish watching their first press conference in which Trump shouts "get him out of here; get 'em out" and Christie jumps in a few minutes later telling another questioner to "sit down and shut up." It's gonna be great.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:... "get him out of here; get 'em out" ... "sit down and shut up." ...
See, they're just too different. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination.

Now we know, he'll blame Carly.
1312. ETTD.