2016 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: 2016 Elections

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede wrote:Yep, they include both lefty 'natural' types and some righty fundies, along with conspiracy wingnuts of whatever political leanings. I think mistrust of government and technology can be healthy, but it has to be rational.
I've never had a flu vaccine in any year, not because I'm "natural" or a nutjob; just suffer an acute case of apathy. And the only time I trust the government is when I'm waiting for them to give me back the interest free loan I've given them over the past year.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

bannination wrote: Had an argument with a co-worker years ago, said they'd never get the flu shot because every time they got it they got horribly sick . . . .
I must admit, I refused a flu shot for years. Decades ago, when I rode submarines for living, the Navy gave us flu shots; I never failed to get the flu after a shot. Out of the Nav, I stopped taking flu shots and remained untroubled by the flu. It wasn't until my doctor whacked my peepee for not getting a flu shot that the subject came up again, and he explained that the injections in use for some time no longer relied on live virus for the immunization. Live virus shots often caused the flu in a notable percentage of recipients, at least back in the late 70s, he explained. Had I just known, I'd have gotten an annual shot. Nonetheless, I haven't gotten the flu since 1979.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:The jury is still out on "nutjob" ;) but just to be clear I was referring there to the normal childhood vaccines, the ones that are mandatory for public school kids. I consider the flu vaccine to be optional for all but healthcare workers, the elderly, the frail, young children . . . and JTA.
Ah, my mistake. I've had the vaccinations for chicken pox and polio but those are the only ones I can remember having. I think I had measles when I was a kid, and mumps, too. Back then the doctor would come to your house with his little black bag. It was full of black magic. Speaking of wingunts, I wrote Senator Tillis this evening to express my opinion of him advocating food service workers not being mandated to wash their hands after using the restroom....his position is that the free market would serve to shun any restaurant following that policy but he's still for the no hand washing mandate. I told him that I always suspected he was a goddam loony wingnut and that his statement today serves to prove it. I also wished him the pleasure of being served a sandwich by someone who had just taken a shit and wiped with their hand. I explained that only he would be able to appreciate such a thing. Let's hope the free market gets rid of this dubmass at the next election cycle. Can I have fries with that?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:I think you just threatened a Senator, sort of. Be careful for awhile lest something else is found to be bustable.

The Navy probably vaccinated you, too.

Tetanus, which comes with diphtheria and pertussis, is a good one to keep up to date so you don't have to go to the ER for a nonsuturable cut or puncture - every 10 years.
They've decided that the MMR is not lifelong, one adult booster is needed. Or, don't go to Disneyland.
Chicken Pox is good, too, even if you've had the disease. Shingles really sucks at our age.
Hep A and B are good, but maybe not necessary depending on your lifestyle and travels.
Nah, I was careful not to make any sort of overt threat. And, yes, the Navy gave us all sorts of shots. I don't even remember what they were for. I once had to get a bunch of extra shots after being stranded in Taiwan ....I had taken a few days leave and was about a hundred miles from where the ship was; for some reason the ship got underway a couple of days ahead of schedule and left me. To get out of the country, I had to get a bunch of shots since I didn't have any sort of medical records with me. At least I didn't get in trouble over it; they left me, I didn't leave them. Also, I am not sure if food workers in Taiwan must wash hands as part of an established policy. Thom Tillis would love it over there.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede wrote: . . . Chicken Pox is good, too, even if you've had the disease. Shingles really sucks at our age . . . .
I caught chicken pox 26 years ago, at the age of 32. That was the single worst thing I've ever had, and I will get the shingles vac as soon as my quack will give it to me.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Boatrocker wrote:
Vrede wrote: . . . Chicken Pox is good, too, even if you've had the disease. Shingles really sucks at our age . . . .
I caught chicken pox 26 years ago, at the age of 32. That was the single worst thing I've ever had, and I will get the shingles vac as soon as my quack will give it to me.
I got pneumonia once; I think that was the worst I ever had. It made me so tired I could barely sit up in a chair. Lasted about a week. It was worse than being a GOP wingunt and I wish it on no one. And this was about twenty five years ago before GOP wingnuts were profligate and profuse.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Boatrocker wrote:
Thanks to the anti-vaxxers we may be more likely to get it.
:thumbdown:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede wrote:
Dook, of course. No mention of the English degree lie.
Not to mention that he's still a certified ophthalmologist in that he created his own "National Board of Ophthalmology" - with himself as the organization's president, his wife as vice-president, and his father-in-law as secretary - and certified himself.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

"Why I can never vote Republican."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Not voting for Republicans is a trend that I follow, and I hardly ever follow trends.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede wrote:I think you just threatened a Senator, sort of. Be careful for awhile lest something else is found to be bustable.

The Navy probably vaccinated you, too.

Tetanus, which comes with diphtheria and pertussis, is a good one to keep up to date so you don't have to go to the ER for a nonsuturable cut or puncture - every 10 years.
They've decided that the MMR is not lifelong, one adult booster is needed. Or, don't go to Disneyland.
Chicken Pox is good, too, even if you've had the disease. Shingles really sucks at our age.
Hep A and B are good, but maybe not necessary depending on your lifestyle and travels.

not so sure it is threatening to give someone what they asked for
the guy is an idiot and all servers should see it as a moral obligation to shit and not wash before serving him
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

did you know that he claims his bald spot is a scar resulting from hitting his head while working under the kitchen sink

the real trouble is - this guy is uneducated and will attract republicon and tea bagger alike to his anti-elitist not corrupted by liberal education

I see him as the pugs man and possibly our next president

what a fucked up country
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I would go with Biden over Clinton. I've always thought she has sort of an aristocratic attitude in a lot of ways.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

as good of a president as biden would make, I can't see him beating anyone

the most effective scam the right has used is their constant labeling of everyone and everything they love, hate or fear - every time it is mentioned anytime anywhere

as terrible as runnie was - AAAmericans have heard so many times of his greatness that is have become almost fact

opposite goes for one of the best - President Carter

and Biden has 20 years of the right claiming that he is a buffoon

the government doesn't work
government is the problem
the depression ended because of all the jobs the war created
(flip the coin) the government can't create jobs

and on and on

I wish warren had a chance, but I don't think they could possibly let that happen

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Biden could easily win, given the current clown car of Republican alternatives.

Every vice President gets portrayed as a buffoon. Dick Cheney was only an exception by virtue of standing next to Bush II, and by being too openly corrupt to be seen as a buffoon.

When Biden debated Paul Ryan in 2012, it's Ryan who looked like a buffoon.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede wrote:Walker has a lot of skeletons that might not withstand national scrutiny.
Barack Obama (U.S. President): B.S., Political Science, Columbia University; J.D. Harvard, magna cum laude

Angela Merkel (German Chancellor): Doctorate in Physics, University of Leipzig

Tony Abbott (Prime Minister of Australia): Rhodes Scholar, Queen's College, Oxford, degrees in Economics and Politics, Sydney University

Stephen Harper (Canadian Prime Minister): Masters in Economics, University of Calgary

Scott Walker: High School graduate

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:Biden could easily win, given the current clown car of Republican alternatives.

Every vice President gets portrayed as a buffoon. Dick Cheney was only an exception by virtue of standing next to Bush II, and by being too openly corrupt to be seen as a buffoon.

When Biden debated Paul Ryan in 2012, it's Ryan who looked like a buffoon.

I like him and would vote for him over Clinton, but Warren is much closer to my politics

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Vrede wrote:Walker has a lot of skeletons that might not withstand national scrutiny.
Barack Obama (U.S. President): B.S., Political Science, Columbia University; J.D. Harvard, magna cum laude

Angela Merkel (German Chancellor): Doctorate in Physics, University of Leipzig

Tony Abbott (Prime Minister of Australia): Rhodes Scholar, Queen's College, Oxford, degrees in Economics and Politics, Sydney University

Stephen Harper (Canadian Prime Minister): Masters in Economics, University of Calgary

Scott Walker: High School graduate

the right has pretty much always been anti-intellectual

they will pile into this clown car quicker than they did ryan's weenie-mobile

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote: Biden could easily win, given the current clown car of Republican alternatives.
I remain nervous about the clown car of RW voters. It's a much bigger car, too many of the clowns in it are as volatile and reactionary as they are stupid and easily-swayed.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:
rstrong wrote: Biden could easily win, given the current clown car of Republican alternatives.
I remain nervous about the clown car of RW voters. It's a much bigger car, too many of the clowns in it are as volatile and reactionary as they are stupid and easily-swayed.
and most see the lack of education as some sort of moral advantage