The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by JTA »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote: "Unless it's named for the mountain, I have no idea."
The range of mountains around the town is named the Black Mountain Range; so named for the abundance of Frasier fir trees that give the mountains an appearance of being black. The town's original name (in Cherokee) was Grey Eagle. When the town organized by whites in 1893, it was renamed Black Mountain.
Whatever happened to the Cherokee in Grey Eagle after the Whites "organized" the town and named it Black Mountain?
When the whites landed their ships in Black Mountain, they fell on hard times due to extreme drought caused by the dust bowl. The Cherokee came to the whites aid and gave them things to eat like turkey and macaroni and cheese. The Cherokee and whites had a big feast, John Smith, the mayor of Black Mountain, married Pocahontas, the queen of Grey Eagle, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Next question.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Why is it that toothpaste cannot be squeezed back into the tube?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:Why is it that toothpaste cannot be squeezed back into the tube?
Because squeezing only takes it out. If you want it back in you have to suck it. Yin/Yang, ebb/flow, squeeze/suck.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Why is it that toothpaste cannot be squeezed back into the tube?
Because squeezing only takes it out. If you want it back in you have to suck it. Yin/Yang, ebb/flow, squeeze/suck.
Now I get it....I always thought Newton's Third Law figured into it somehow. Now I can start getting rid of all this extra toothpaste around here which is unconfined.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

It's best if we consult our bibles for this one. Gather round, let me teach you all an important bible lesson.

Like any vacation eventually the novelty wears off and you eventually become bored and ready for new adventures. But have you ever taken a vacation for forty years? As you can imagine, after the first few weeks you'd become incredibly bored. Well this is exactly what happened when Moses led his people into the desert. What happens when you have a bunch of bored Jews with nothing to do? Rap music is what happens.. What happens when you have a bunch of bored rapping Jews grumpy as hell because they're stuck in a desert? Rap battles!

Moses being an old guy and not understanding rap music saw his people engaging in frequent rap battles. People insulting each other's mothers, using all kinds of expletives, Moses knew he needed to put a stop to this, so he consults the bible:
Proverbs 15:2: The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.”
Moses tries to explain to his boys why rap battles are bad, but they just aren't getting it. He goes up on a mountain one night and has a talk with God.

"God, my people just aren't getting it. Mutiny on the bounty's what they're all about, Just the other day we got sixteen men on a dead man's chest, and if they don't stop I'll shoot those suckers and I'll shoot the rest."

God knew he had to act, so he presented Moses with some toothpaste. He told Moses to give the toothpaste to his people, let them cleanse their palates of their sins. Teach them that like the toothpaste, once you speak of ill someones mother the deed is done and there is no going back. Just as you cannot put toothpaste back into the tube, you cannot take back what you have already said.

That's why you cannot squeeze toothpaste back into the tube.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:"That's why you cannot squeeze toothpaste back into the tube."
Whew! I'm glad someone figured out that puzzle...... :-0?>

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

neoplacebo wrote: "Whatever happened to the Cherokee in Grey Eagle after the Whites "organized" the town and named it Black Mountain?"
They moved to Jackson County and laid out their own territory and declared it a reservation.....reserved for Cherokees only; no Whites, no Blacks.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Actually, if you were to fill your mouth with the squeezed out toothpaste, you can squeeze / blow it out of your mouth into a previously emptied toothpaste tube but this is not generally recommended.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

neoplacebo wrote:"Actually, if you were to fill your mouth with the squeezed out toothpaste, you can squeeze / blow it out of your mouth into a previously emptied toothpaste tube but this is not generally recommended."
Might be possible if you attached a vacuum pump to it first.... :idea: -0-?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Why don't homophobes use magnets as justification for their point of view? Opposites attract; likes repel. I don't understand why they don't.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Mr.B wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:"Actually, if you were to fill your mouth with the squeezed out toothpaste, you can squeeze / blow it out of your mouth into a previously emptied toothpaste tube but this is not generally recommended."
Might be possible if you attached a vacuum pump to it first.... :idea: -0-?
Nonsense; it's a well known fact that Moses used this very tactic to distribute the aforementioned holy toothpaste to the marginally faithful out there in the desert. This is due to the fact that an empty toothpaste tube presents little or no resistance to being filled. The entire concept became known eventually as the path of least resistance, and is in effect to this day.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Atheists - How do explain the fact that Jesus was born on Christmas Day in 1 AD. Surely this proves some kind of divine intervention was in play since the probability of this happening is simply too good to be true?

indago
Pilot Officer

Unread post by indago »

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Funny thing about those extra commandments; the Bible itself doesn't stop at 10.

Exodus 20's commandments only pause at 10 because the sound of God speaking them accompanied by thunder, lightning, trumpets and the mountain smoking, made the people afraid and they moved "afar off." (The hard copy on tablets came later.)

And so God dictated the rest of the commandments to Moses, who forwarded them to the people.

But Christians like to forget about the rest of the commandments. They get a tad inconvenient, what with the rules for beating slaves, selling your daughter as a sex slave, and when you must kill your children as punishment.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:Atheists - How do explain the fact that Jesus was born on Christmas Day in 1 AD. Surely this proves some kind of divine intervention was in play since the probability of this happening is simply too good to be true?
If he was born December 25, how did they know in January that the year was going to be 1 AD? Wouldn't the January following his birth be 1 AD? I do agree, however, that his being born on Christmas Day proves his divinity.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:Atheists - How do explain the fact that Jesus was born on Christmas Day in 1 AD. Surely this proves some kind of divine intervention was in play since the probability of this happening is simply too good to be true?
If he was born December 25, how did they know in January that the year was going to be 1 AD? Wouldn't the January following his birth be 1 AD? I do agree, however, that his being born on Christmas Day proves his divinity.
Yeah, the first year is zero AD and January 1 starts the year 1 AD. I myself missed being born on Christmas by a mere three days; 22 December. The story of my life.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

neoplacebo wrote:Yeah, the first year is zero AD and January 1 starts the year 1 AD. I myself missed being born on Christmas by a mere three days; 22 December. The story of my life.
It's important to remember whose birthday we're celebrating on December 25th. If it wasn't for him, our lives would be less rich and less fulfilling. It's good to honor him and give the respect that is due on this important day. So, happy birthday Rod Serling.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

rstrong wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Yeah, the first year is zero AD and January 1 starts the year 1 AD. I myself missed being born on Christmas by a mere three days; 22 December. The story of my life.
It's important to remember whose birthday we're celebrating on December 25th. If it wasn't for him, our lives would be less rich and less fulfilling. It's good to honor him and give the respect that is due on this important day. So, happy birthday Rod Serling.
And let us not forget his divine perpetual cigarette as well.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Yeah, the first year is zero AD and January 1 starts the year 1 AD. I myself missed being born on Christmas by a mere three days; 22 December. The story of my life.
The First of the Fundamental Laws of Math states that when counting sequential numbers you can't skip any. This hypothesis you've proposed seems to have violated this principle, for the year following 1 BC (-1 in scientific terms) is 1 AD, but -1 + 1 = 0, not 1, and Math doesn't lie.

The implications of this are frightening, for this implies it currently isn't the year 2014, but is instead the year 2013, which means I am from the future.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

How about them Eagles?!