The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"Hey, I don't wear gold."
And definitely not a cross....

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote: "I worked at Ingles too. We are Ingles brothers."
I ditten work thar long 'nuff to be uh part of no brotherhood..... :lol:
(English conforms to O Really's description of shoppers that frequent Ingle's)

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mr.B wrote:
Why not? I wore a St. Christopher medal for years because it was a gift from someone close. Didn't mean I was a Catholic, but as an amulet it was fun to consider it good luck on traveling. I'll bet lots of people wear cross jewelry (or ankh, or infinity, yada) who aren't necessarily devout.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
Mr.B wrote:
"Why not? I wore a St. Christopher medal for years because it was a gift from someone close. Didn't mean I was a Catholic, but as an amulet it was fun to consider it good luck on traveling. I'll bet lots of people wear cross jewelry (or ankh, or infinity, yada) who aren't necessarily devout."
Big deal. I've got my lucky rabbit's foot on my key chain and a four-leaf clover in my billfold....doesn't mean I'm superstitious though.
(btw...I don't wear a cross either)

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:[
Big deal. I've got my lucky rabbit's foot on my key chain and a four-leaf clover in my billfold....doesn't mean I'm superstitious though.
(btw...I don't wear a cross either)
'Zactly. A symbol important to some may to others just be a rabbit's foot. Of course, it wasn't lucky for the rabbit.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"Of course, it wasn't lucky for the rabbit."
Got that right...nailed 'im just before he could devour that clover leaf....

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of symbols...why is it Christians use the cross as an icon instead of something representing the resurrection? One might think that anybody can get crucified, including a couple of petty thieves, but not many rise up again. I think I'd wear something that looked like a cave entrance with a rock moved over.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"Speaking of symbols...why is it Christians use the cross as an icon instead of something representing the resurrection? One might think that anybody can get crucified, including a couple of petty thieves, but not many rise up again. I think I'd wear something that looked like a cave entrance with a rock moved over."
I guess it's because a cross is easier to make than a cave entrance with a rock moved over.

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote:"Speaking of symbols...why is it Christians use the cross as an icon instead of something representing the resurrection? One might think that anybody can get crucified, including a couple of petty thieves, but not many rise up again. I think I'd wear something that looked like a cave entrance with a rock moved over."
I guess it's because a cross is easier to make than a cave entrance with a rock moved over.
Both the egg and the butterfly have been used as symbols of the resurrection. Both (particularly the butterfly) better than the symbol of temporary death.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"Christians chose a symbol of torture, oppression and suffering. Is there another major religion that's such a downer?"
I waited for Vrede's stupidity to kick in before I responded re: the cross. Good thing I did, we were shown a prime example of what can't be fixed.
He must've Googled that on one of his favorite homo, atheist, or God hater sites.

The cross represents Christ's suffering for our sins...

The empty tomb represents salvation and a new life.....

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote: The cross represents Christ's suffering for our sins...

The empty tomb represents salvation and a new life.....
Clearly the cross represents suffering. But that's not the important part of the story. Anybody can take the rap for others. What makes him special is that he didn't stay dead. Seems like focusing on the murder is no different from worship of any other martyr. As far as written accounts go, only one martyr has risen. I'd think one would choose to celebrate the salvation and new life more than the suffering, but that's just me.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote: What makes him special is that he didn't stay dead.
Keep in mind that early versions of the Gospel of Mark found over the years ended with the women discovering Jesus's tomb to be empty, and fleeing. Jesus's resurrection doesn't show up until over 300 years later.

O Really
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
O Really wrote: What makes him special is that he didn't stay dead.
Keep in mind that early versions of the Gospel of Mark found over the years ended with the women discovering Jesus's tomb to be empty, and fleeing. Jesus's resurrection doesn't show up until over 300 years later.
Whether he actually resurrected or not isn't my issue. That's the story and, going along, it just seems that's more worthy of celebration than being killed.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:
O Really wrote:... only one martyr has risen....
Does Kenny count?

Kenny never resurrected in the same episode. Of course, according to rstrong, Jesus didn't resurrect in the same episode either.

O Really
Admiral

Yes, but if the women found the tomb empty, there couldn't be any other possible reason other than resurrection, is there? I think not. It's not like there were grave robbers back then, or that anyone who knew or knew about Jesus would have any reason to tamper with the tomb. It had to be resurrection. It was probably a scene like Geraldo and Al Capones treasure cave.

O Really
Admiral

Some disagree with rstrong's 300 year comment.

"The earliest written records of the death and resurrection of Jesus are the letters of Paul, which were written around two decades after the death of Jesus,[66][67] and show that within this time frame Christians believed that it had happened. Some scholars suppose that these contain early Christian creeds and creedal hymns, which were included in several of the New Testament texts and that some of these creeds date to within a few years of Jesus' death and were developed within the Christian community in Jerusalem.[68] Though embedded within the texts of the New Testament, these creeds are a distinct source for early Christianity.

Romans 1:3–4: "...concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and designated the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord".[69]
2 Timothy 2:8: "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead... this is my gospel for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained...".[70]
1 Corinthians 15:3-7: "...that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures"

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"Some disagree with rstrong's 300 year comment."
Very good O Really.......sometimes you surprise me. I believe there's something that's not surfaced yet hidden in there somewhere.... :clap:

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote:"Some disagree with rstrong's 300 year comment."
Very good O Really.......sometimes you surprise me. I believe there's something that's not surfaced yet hidden in there somewhere.... :clap:
Nope. I may occasionally yank a chain, or may sometimes advocate for the devil, but generally what you read is what I am. Rstrong is a reliable source of good information and opinion. But hey - it's been a long time since the New Testament was written, many different gospels have been discovered and sorted through, and facts get fuzzy. I just wanted to point out that there are differing opinions. I've done it before, and will undoubtedly do it again. But thanks for the :clap:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

May I recommend a most excellent 2014 BBC series on the early Bible, the edits and the lost (and re-discovered) books of early Christianity:

YouTube: BBC Bible Hunters 1 of 2 The Search For Bible Truth

YouTube: BBC Bible Hunters 2 of 2 The Search For The Lost Gospels

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:May I recommend a most excellent 2014 BBC series on the early Bible, the edits and the lost (and re-discovered) books of early Christianity:

YouTube: BBC Bible Hunters 1 of 2 The Search For Bible Truth

YouTube: BBC Bible Hunters 2 of 2 The Search For The Lost Gospels
I'll check 'em out.