The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:How about them Eagles?!
My favorite songs by them are Take it Easy and Already Gone. Hotel California is pretty cool too but it's overplayed.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

One time when I was a kid I ate way too many hot dogs at dinner and felt like I was going to puke. I remember it felt like time slowed down as I agonized waiting for those hot dogs to make their way out of my stomach. After an agonizing wait (weight? heh) I starting feeling better.

I read online that in places with really high gravity like black holes time actually moves slower. When I ate all those hot dogs did time actually grind to a halt because I increased my weight which means I also increased my gravity, which caused time to slow down? If this is true, is it possible for me to slow down my weekends by shoveling food in my mouth all weekend long until I'm on the verge of puking?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:
"My favorite songs by them are Take it Easy and Already Gone. Hotel California is pretty cool too but it's overplayed."
:lol: The Philadelphia ones........! :wtf: :lol:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote: "One time when I was a kid I ate way too many hot dogs at dinner and felt like I was going to puke. I remember it felt like time slowed down as I agonized waiting for those hot dogs to make their way out of my stomach. After an agonizing wait (weight? heh) I starting feeling better.

I read online that in places with really high gravity like black holes time actually moves slower. When I ate all those hot dogs did time actually grind to a halt because I increased my weight which means I also increased my gravity, which caused time to slow down? If this is true, is it possible for me to slow down my weekends by shoveling food in my mouth all weekend long until I'm on the verge of puking?"
I'd say you have a personal problem.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:
JTA wrote:
"My favorite songs by them are Take it Easy and Already Gone. Hotel California is pretty cool too but it's overplayed."
:lol: The Philadelphia ones........! :wtf: :lol:
The Eagles were formed in California though.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mr.B may not know that the band is the EEgles. The football team is the Iggles, yo.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Serious question this time: Any of you have a knack for landscaping?

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:Serious question this time: Any of you have a knack for landscaping?
Serious answer: Don't have to - I've got Joaquin and Diego. :D But if you have a particular question, I'll be happy to ask them.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Serious answer: Don't have to - I've got Joaquin and Diego. :D But if you have a particular question, I'll be happy to ask them.
Well, I have no taste for design at all, and whenever I try to turn my designs into reality they normally end up being lame and not as cool as I thought.

Anyway I have a backyard. Towards the back of it is a sloping hill that probably abruptly slopes up about 3-4 feet. There are a bunch of bushes and stuff on it. It kind of sucks because about 1/3 or my yard is unusable because of this. I was thinking about ways to reclaim some if it, and one of my ideas was to build a retaining wall and make a chill zone. I figured with a 3-4 foot tall retaining wall I could reclaim maybe a further ten feet of yard back, and have a portion of my yard raised above the rest of my yard. I'll plant some grass or hell even make a patio or something with some pavers. Or maybe even plant some beans up there or something. In my mind this will be bad ass. I'll have two separate back yards, the lower backyard for my prole guests, and the upper backyard for me, where I'll sit upon my throne and demand offerings of hot dogs and bud light.

I fear when I put this plan into action it'll turn out to be terrible and not as cool as I'm thinking. Don't know if any of you up there in the mountains have experience doing something like this with all your hills and all. I'll take a pic when I can.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:
Well, I have no taste for design at all, and whenever I try to turn my designs into reality they normally end up being lame and not as cool as I thought.

Anyway I have a backyard. Towards the back of it is a sloping hill that probably abruptly slopes up about 3-4 feet. There are a bunch of bushes and stuff on it. It kind of sucks because about 1/3 or my yard is unusable because of this. I was thinking about ways to reclaim some if it, and one of my ideas was to build a retaining wall and make a chill zone. I figured with a 3-4 foot tall retaining wall I could reclaim maybe a further ten feet of yard back, and have a portion of my yard raised above the rest of my yard. I'll plant some grass or hell even make a patio or something with some pavers. Or maybe even plant some beans up there or something. In my mind this will be bad ass. I'll have two separate back yards, the lower backyard for my prole guests, and the upper backyard for me, where I'll sit upon my throne and demand offerings of hot dogs and bud light.

I fear when I put this plan into action it'll turn out to be terrible and not as cool as I'm thinking. Don't know if any of you up there in the mountains have experience doing something like this with all your hills and all. I'll take a pic when I can.
Without conferring with my guys, I can say this - terracing to get more level space is a good idea. But if you're going to have to put in a 3-4 foot wall, you'd probably be better off doing two steps. A wall that high would not only be really expensive (has to be a lot stronger than a 2-footer, lots of fill, lots of grading work) but unless you've got a really big yard, it would look pretty awkward and make the rest of your yard look like it's in a hole. And you'd have to build steps.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:

Without conferring with my guys, I can say this - terracing to get more level space is a good idea. But if you're going to have to put in a 3-4 foot wall, you'd probably be better off doing two steps. A wall that high would not only be really expensive (has to be a lot stronger than a 2-footer, lots of fill, lots of grading work) but unless you've got a really big yard, it would look pretty awkward and make the rest of your yard look like it's in a hole. And you'd have to build steps.
Good info thanks.

I may have over estimated the height a bit. I could probably get away with a 2-2.5 ft. high retaining wall which should give me about 6-8 ft of flat ground. Here are some pics:

http://i.imgur.com/Cmay2Wk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NW6KH3t.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qtycMKw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YcDajRi.jpg

I was thinking about adding it to the middle part of my yard, not spanning the whole width (maybe between the bird house and the dead bush on the left), and making a sort of half rectangle with rounded corners or oval. Depending on the width this could potentially give me ~100 - 120 square feet or so of new yard that I could do something with. Still not sure yet though, this might end up looking stupid and not being as cool as I have it pictured in my mind. I'm going to have to keep looking at pics of other peoples yards until I'm convinced

O Really
Admiral

What's at the top of the hill? Any chance of leveling it down a little to reduce fill amount and wall height? Anyway, here's what I would do (subject to my live-in project manager and the crew) I'd let the wall run the width of the yard, but shaped as a gentle curve toward the house. Then in the middle of that curve - around where your chair is, I'd have a bulge and build a rock firepit, with grill.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:What's at the top of the hill? Any chance of leveling it down a little to reduce fill amount and wall height? Anyway, here's what I would do (subject to my live-in project manager and the crew) I'd let the wall run the width of the yard, but shaped as a gentle curve toward the house. Then in the middle of that curve - around where your chair is, I'd have a bulge and build a rock firepit, with grill.
A bunch of rocks then some bushes then a road, The top of the hill is about 5 ft. higher then my yard so I'm not sure if leveling it down would be a good option.

I was thinking the same - at least start off with the raised semicircle area jutting out from the hill, plant some grass for now or a garden or something, then in the future do what you said since you can add some pavers and make another patio at any time.

O Really
Admiral

Oh, no - you need to get the entire project done at the same time. If you don't, you'll get used to it the way it is and the prospect of taking down part of that wall you worked so hard on just to put up a silly fire pit/patio will be more and more discouraging. Git'er done now.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

What is the best candy?

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:What is the best candy?
Eye candy?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:What is the best candy?
Eye candy?
Will too much eye candy give me

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Not likely, but it will give you this :shock:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:"What is the best candy?"
"Eye candy?"
Real "Eye Candy"

then there's....
"Eye Candy" for Vrede
Last edited by Mr.B on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Not just Vrede - eye candy for anybody male or female that has an appreciation of a fine set of abs.