Afghanistan

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Afghanistan

Unread post by Vrede too »

Maaaybe Joe could have handled some details better, but 45SHOLE made the deal with the Taliban and we usually fail when we try to build a nation with puppets. Seems like all we accomplished is 2 decades of misery and the many many years of hostility that will arise from that . . . oh, I almost forgot about the 2 decades of pork for the merchants of death and other corrupt leeches.

Good time for a selection of posts from page 1, starting almost 9 years ago when BRD did:
Vrede on Wed Oct 24, 2012 wrote:Democracy? - Most Americans want us out now.
k9nanny wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:28 pm
I suppose this could be new thread, but it seems appropriate here, too.

Comment from a friend.
How come defense spending is always off the table. And why do we call it defense when we're always playing offense. It used to be the War Department, not the Department of Defense. I move the old name be readopted.
Vrede on Fri Dec 27, 2013 wrote:Majority of Americans: Invading Afghanistan Was 'Wrong Thing to Do'

The invasion was an understandable response to 9/11 and I'm pretty sure Gore would have done much the same thing. Rather, my problem is more with the utter mismanagement of the occupation from the start and the fact that it's lasted about a decade too long.
O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:19 pm
I think maybe we could decide if we'd consider it an "invasion" if we imagined thousands of Afghani soldiers shooting at people in NW DC and chunking rockets into Leicester.
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:07 pm
We expend a lot of effort and money creating enemies for ourselves. I myself am against it.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:47 am
Kunduz Hospital Attack: MSF Factsheet
Boatrocker wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm
rstrong wrote:And I thought that bombing a free hospital was just yet another concession to Republican healthcare policy.
Don't give em any ideas.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:17 pm
They don't listen to Canadian ideas on healthcare.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:35 am
Same as it ever was.
Vietnam veteran who earned the Medal of Honor says Afghanistan now looks 'just like' Saigon in 1975

Probably an apt comparison within a few weeks or months, but he apparently neglects to mention that Afghanistan has looked just like Vietnam for nearly 20 years.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So has anyone taken a Vietnam vacay lately? Da Nang, f'rinstance. Described in travel brochures as "Port city with a Hindu sculpture museum, sandy beach resorts, pagodas & the Marble Mountains." Doesn't sound much like all the domino-threatening commie fear mongers painted a takeover by the north, does it? Without that ill-conceived war, Vietnam probably would have been a thriving country for a lot longer, the US would have had enough extra money to create a decent healthcare system or something worthwhile, 50,000 young (mostly) men wouldn't be dead and many thousands more wouldn't be permanently injured.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:10 pm
So has anyone taken a Vietnam vacay lately? Da Nang, f'rinstance. Described in travel brochures as "Port city with a Hindu sculpture museum, sandy beach resorts, pagodas & the Marble Mountains." Doesn't sound much like all the domino-threatening commie fear mongers painted a takeover by the north, does it? Without that ill-conceived war, Vietnam probably would have been a thriving country for a lot longer, the US would have had enough extra money to create a decent healthcare system or something worthwhile, 50,000 young (mostly) men wouldn't be dead and many thousands more wouldn't be permanently injured.
Not disagreeing with you but any half bright right wing nutjob could bring North and South Korea up as a foil to your Vietnam premise.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:47 am
O Really wrote:
Not disagreeing with you but any half bright right wing nutjob could bring North and South Korea up as a foil to your Vietnam premise.
They could, as they are prone to pander in false equivalencies. US involvement, along with UN, lasted about 3 years. US forces have remained in South Korea to enforce the armistice agreement, but for 68 years there's been little actual fighting and each Korea has pretty much done its own thing despite occasional blustering. In both Vietnam and Afghanistan, the US was an active participant in an internal conflict that never had any chance of a negotiated resolution.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:50 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:35 am
Same as it ever was.
Vietnam veteran who earned the Medal of Honor says Afghanistan now looks 'just like' Saigon in 1975

Probably an apt comparison within a few weeks or months, but he apparently neglects to mention that Afghanistan has looked just like Vietnam for nearly 20 years.
I considered including 'days', but thought that might be giving the Taliban too much credit.

Assuming that the Taliban was always going to prevail over the internal mercenaries that we cut off, this may have been the best outcome. Rapid collapse = fewer deaths.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

There are fewer deaths because there's no resistance. It's pretty easy for the Taliban or any invading force to roll quickly when the opposition turns and runs. Remember the famed Iraqui "Elite Republican Guard"?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:09 pm
There are fewer deaths because there's no resistance. It's pretty easy for the Taliban or any invading force to roll quickly when the opposition turns and runs. Remember the famed Iraqui "Elite Republican Guard"?

Wait, wait, don't tell me

Who was the invading force?

And what was the government that was invaded?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:47 pm

The usual suspect.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Let us all just be thankful the Vietnam War is over.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:37 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:47 am
O Really wrote:
They could, as they are prone to pander in false equivalencies. US involvement, along with UN, lasted about 3 years. US forces have remained in South Korea to enforce the armistice agreement, but for 68 years there's been little actual fighting and each Korea has pretty much done its own thing despite occasional blustering. In both Vietnam and Afghanistan, the US was an active participant in an internal conflict that never had any chance of a negotiated resolution.
Well, I'm not convinced it's false equivalence. The US has had military presence, which by definition is being an active participant in an internal "conflict" (which may or may not have any chance of success) in Korea for over 70 years for no apparent purpose. Our presence in Japan has been longer than that, but benign and part of a surrender agreement....like the UN Korea scene. If the Kim family decides to go over the side, don't kid yourself that it won't be another Vietnam. We would have to go big and fast or run and hide. And I guess that makes me the half bright right wing nutjob.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:56 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

The usual suspect.
As has happened so many times before, we just armed the Taliban with tens (hundreds?) of billions of dollars in captured military equipment. Of course, this will necessitate the purchase of vast amounts of new military equipment in order to contain the threat from our own guns and bombs.

Feed the Pentagon and merchants of death, nothing else matters.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:56 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

The usual suspect.
As has happened so many times before, we just armed the Taliban with tens (hundreds?) of billions of dollars in captured military equipment. Of course, this will necessitate the purchase of vast amounts of new military equipment in order to contain the threat from our own guns and bombs.

Feed the Pentagon and merchants of death, nothing else matters.
Don't forget the factional militias in Iraq that we've heavily armed and wished best of luck.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

What a fucking waste man.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Whack9 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 pm
Yeah. And it basically had to end this way.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:03 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Another Bush disaster.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:10 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Another Bush disaster.
They should be in prison for war crimes for starting that war.
I bet most Americans believe that the Taliban took out the world trade center.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 am
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:10 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Another Bush disaster.
They should be in prison for war crimes for starting that war.
I bet most Americans believe that the Taliban took out the world trade center.
Most Republicans probably do.

That is, if they even know about the Taliban.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Taliban harbored the people that took out the WTC/Pentagon and did nothing to bring them immediately to justice. I have zero sympathy for or solidarity with them.

War crimes? Gore would have invaded, too.
Screwed up the occupation = Bush disaster.
Obama escalation = Obama disaster. VP Joe abetted.
45SHOLE escalation = 45SHOLE disaster.
Being the one to turn out the lights = Joe disaster, whether fair and accurate or not. Honorable disaster mention to 45SHOLE for negotiating a May 2021 withdrawal.
20 years, 4 POTUSes = America's disaster. We suck.
1312. ETTD.