Kill List

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Kill List

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Leaving aside the childish Useless diversion, if you are being hunted by the govt or Whack9:

How to hide from a drone – the subtle art of 'ghosting' in the age of surveillance
The tactic I use mostly is staying inside; even if a drone knocks on the door I don't have to answer it. But some of the tactics in the story are also interesting; like the umbrella and 10ga shotgun. Those two afford one a fine passive aggressive combination.
There's another option:
Surrender to a Drone? Ukraine Is Urging Russian Soldiers to Do Just That.

Tens of thousands of drones have been employed across Ukraine to kill the enemy, spy on its formations and guide bombs to their targets. But this month the Ukrainian military began a program to use drones in a more unusual role: to guide Russian soldiers who want to surrender.

The program had its genesis in late November, when the Ukrainian military released footage of a Russian soldier throwing his weapon to the ground, raising his hands and nervously following a path set out by a drone overhead, leading him to soldiers from the Ukrainian army’s 54th Mechanized Brigade.

A few weeks later, the Ukrainian General Staff released an instructional video explaining how Russian soldiers can surrender to a Ukrainian drone, and it is now part of a wide-ranging effort by Ukraine to persuade Russian soldiers to give up. The program, called “I want to live,” includes a phone hotline, a website and a Telegram channel all dedicated to communicating to Russian soldiers and their families....
Inevitable. Soon, the prisoners will be led to AI interrogators in robot-guarded prison camps. Welcome to the new world.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:15 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Leaving aside the childish Useless diversion, if you are being hunted by the govt or Whack9:

How to hide from a drone – the subtle art of 'ghosting' in the age of surveillance
The tactic I use mostly is staying inside; even if a drone knocks on the door I don't have to answer it. But some of the tactics in the story are also interesting; like the umbrella and 10ga shotgun. Those two afford one a fine passive aggressive combination.
There's another option:
Surrender to a Drone? Ukraine Is Urging Russian Soldiers to Do Just That.

Tens of thousands of drones have been employed across Ukraine to kill the enemy, spy on its formations and guide bombs to their targets. But this month the Ukrainian military began a program to use drones in a more unusual role: to guide Russian soldiers who want to surrender.

The program had its genesis in late November, when the Ukrainian military released footage of a Russian soldier throwing his weapon to the ground, raising his hands and nervously following a path set out by a drone overhead, leading him to soldiers from the Ukrainian army’s 54th Mechanized Brigade.

A few weeks later, the Ukrainian General Staff released an instructional video explaining how Russian soldiers can surrender to a Ukrainian drone, and it is now part of a wide-ranging effort by Ukraine to persuade Russian soldiers to give up. The program, called “I want to live,” includes a phone hotline, a website and a Telegram channel all dedicated to communicating to Russian soldiers and their families....
Inevitable. Soon, the prisoners will be led to AI interrogators in robot-guarded prison camps. Welcome to the new world.
:shock: It reminds me of an old Star Trek episode where Kirk and Spock and some others go down to a planet engaged in some type of global war. But it's all done with computers.....the computers tell leaders on each side where an action has resulted in casualties and how many there are. Then the "victims" just walk into some sort of machine that ends their existence. All in the larger goal of not destroying actual buildings and other valuable things. The Star Trek folks were outraged. Except maybe Spock. I don't remember what his take on it was. I would guess he'd deem it "logical" or "fascinating."

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:

I like it. Probably be fewer not-guilty people badgered and forced into "confessions", and less prisoner abuse. Human judgement regarding human incarceration is so bad, AI seems a likely improvement.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:37 am
Vrede too wrote:

I like it. Probably be fewer not-guilty people badgered and forced into "confessions", and less prisoner abuse. Human judgement regarding human incarceration is so bad, AI seems a likely improvement.
Unless the AI determines that humanity is inefficient, unproductive and contrary to the war's goals.
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 am
:shock: It reminds me of an old Star Trek episode where Kirk and Spock and some others go down to a planet engaged in some type of global war. But it's all done with computers.....the computers tell leaders on each side where an action has resulted in casualties and how many there are. Then the "victims" just walk into some sort of machine that ends their existence. All in the larger goal of not destroying actual buildings and other valuable things. The Star Trek folks were outraged. Except maybe Spock. I don't remember what his take on it was. I would guess he'd deem it "logical" or "fascinating."
:thumbup: There's also a NextGen episode where the population of an arms selling planet wiped itself out with its still-active ultimate weapon, including small drones. Somehow they outwitted the virtual salesman long enough to destroy the weapon's brain.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Reminds me of the "Twilight Zone" episode, "The Obsolete Man." https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734667/

Closing narration:
The chancellor, the *late* chancellor, was only partly correct: He *was* obsolete; but so is the State, the entity he worshiped. Any state or entity becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures nations, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, yet convinces nobody; when it dons armor and calls it faith, when in the eyes of God it is naked, having no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of humanity... That state is obsolete. A case to be filed under "M" for Mankind -- in The Twilight Zone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:56 am
Reminds me of the "Twilight Zone" episode, "The Obsolete Man." https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734667/

Closing narration:
The chancellor, the *late* chancellor, was only partly correct: He *was* obsolete; but so is the State, the entity he worshiped. Any state or entity becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures nations, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, yet convinces nobody; when it dons armor and calls it faith, when in the eyes of God it is naked, having no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of humanity... That state is obsolete. A case to be filed under "M" for Mankind -- in The Twilight Zone.
Hmmm.
US military officials walking back claims drone strike killed al-Qaeda leader: report

The Pentagon now doubts whether a drone strike in Syria earlier this month killed a top al-Qaeda leader, according to The Washington Post.

The May 3 strike could have instead killed Lotfi Hassan Misto, 56, a father of 10 who was tending to his sheep in a quiet town in northwest Syria when the Hellfire missile struck, The Post reported.

U.S. Central Command (Centcom), which oversaw the operation, had claimed the missile strike had targeted a senior al-Qaeda figure shortly after the attack was carried out....
Opps. Do al-Qaeda leaders tend sheep often and how many sheep were killed?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 8:32 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:56 am

Closing narration:
Hmmm.
US military officials walking back claims drone strike killed al-Qaeda leader: report

The Pentagon now doubts whether a drone strike in Syria earlier this month killed a top al-Qaeda leader, according to The Washington Post.

The May 3 strike could have instead killed Lotfi Hassan Misto, 56, a father of 10 who was tending to his sheep in a quiet town in northwest Syria when the Hellfire missile struck, The Post reported.

U.S. Central Command (Centcom), which oversaw the operation, had claimed the missile strike had targeted a senior al-Qaeda figure shortly after the attack was carried out....
Father of 10.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Father of 10.
:cry:
Nigerian army drone strike accident kills at least 85 civilians
Residents in north-west of the country say many victims of strike during Muslim festival were women and children

... The army said it had been carrying out “a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community”. It did not give casualty figures or explain how the accident had happened but local residents said 85 people, many of them women and children, had been killed. Some witnesses said the death toll was higher.

Idris Dahiru, a villager, said: “I was inside the house when the first bomb was dropped … We rushed to the scene to help those affected and then a second bomb was dropped.

“My aunt, my brother’s wife and her six children, wives of my four brothers were among the dead. My elder brother’s family are all dead, except his infant child who survived. We buried 85 people that were killed in the bomb attack.”

Dahiru said more than 60 injured people were in hospital.

Another resident, Husseini Ibrahim, told Agence France-Presse (AFP): “I lost 13 members of my immediate family among the 85 that were killed. They included my children and those of my brothers, seven boys and six girls. We buried the victims today.”

Many of the victims were women and children, Hassan Ma’aruf, another resident, told AFP, sharing images he said showed the bodies....

Bola Tinubu has identified security as a priority of his government since taking the presidency in May, increasing defence spending to $4bn, 12% of this year’s budget. But he has said little about how he intends to improve performance, while analysts say budget increases in recent years have done little to quell the violence....
:cry: x 145+ multiplied by families and friends.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:57 am
Vrede too wrote:

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Father of 10.
:cry:
Nigerian army drone strike accident kills at least 85 civilians
Residents in north-west of the country say many victims of strike during Muslim festival were women and children

... The army said it had been carrying out “a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community”. It did not give casualty figures or explain how the accident had happened but local residents said 85 people, many of them women and children, had been killed. Some witnesses said the death toll was higher.

Idris Dahiru, a villager, said: “I was inside the house when the first bomb was dropped … We rushed to the scene to help those affected and then a second bomb was dropped.

“My aunt, my brother’s wife and her six children, wives of my four brothers were among the dead. My elder brother’s family are all dead, except his infant child who survived. We buried 85 people that were killed in the bomb attack.”

Dahiru said more than 60 injured people were in hospital.

Another resident, Husseini Ibrahim, told Agence France-Presse (AFP): “I lost 13 members of my immediate family among the 85 that were killed. They included my children and those of my brothers, seven boys and six girls. We buried the victims today.”

Many of the victims were women and children, Hassan Ma’aruf, another resident, told AFP, sharing images he said showed the bodies....

Bola Tinubu has identified security as a priority of his government since taking the presidency in May, increasing defence spending to $4bn, 12% of this year’s budget. But he has said little about how he intends to improve performance, while analysts say budget increases in recent years have done little to quell the violence....
:cry: x 145+ multiplied by families and friends.
Fuck you biden.
It takes a coward to place more importance on votes than on doing what’s right.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:28 pm
Fuck you biden.
It takes a coward to place more importance on votes than on doing what’s right.
To be clear, no indication of where the Nigerian drone was made. The article briefly cites Joe's culpability in its last sentence:
... Nigeria’s armed forces are backed by powers including Britain and the US, which has raised concerns about human rights abuses.
As for the murder of the Syrian shepherd, the most current articles I find during a brief search are:

Joint Letter Demands Robust, Transparent, and Accountable Response to US Strike in Syria
June 29, 2023
(multiple human rights orgs)
CENTCOM extends investigation into possible civilian casualty in May drone strike
August 19, 2023

... Misto was killed by a missile strike on the outskirts of Qurqaniya, north of Idlib, on May 3, the Syrian Civil Defense, a humanitarian response group known as the “White Helmets," said on social media. He was grazing his sheep at the time of the strike, which also killed several sheep, the group added....

The Department of Defense has previously received criticism for harming or killing civilians, which has prompted Pentagon leadership to institute changes, though it's unclear if they have worked given the current investigation. Last August, the Pentagon unveiled a memorandum from Secretary Lloyd Austin detailing new changes to the military’s drone program that are intended to prevent civilian casualties that expanded upon one issued by Austin back in late January, which resulted in the creation of the Civilian Harm Mitigation and Response Action Plan.

CENTCOM accidentally targeted a civilian on Aug. 29, 2021, in Kabul, Afghanistan. The U.S. military believed the innocent individual, Zemari Ahmadi, was an ISIS-K terrorist who posed an imminent risk to U.S. troops evacuating at-risk Afghans just days before the military was set to leave the country indefinitely with the Taliban in control....

A subsequent investigation resulted in no disciplinary actions for those involved in the strike.
:roll: Of course not. The article doesn't say what the new deadline for the Syria "investigation" is, though I'd be surprised if it extended to Dec. Still, I can't find an update :angry-banghead:

Lotfi Hassan Misto and his sheep, Zemari Ahmadi presente!
1312. ETTD.