The Dog Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Dog Thread

Unread post by Vrede too » Tue May 29, 2018 4:49 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:42 pm
I gave up looking for a dog thread. Search works fine - now, but I couldn't find it a few months back....
banni tweaked the settings. It used to be that a "Dog Thread" search, for example, returned all posts that had either word in them. Now, both words have to be there.
So many liberals, so little time. :P

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 am

George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:52 pm

K9nanny, what are your opinions on home cooked dog food.

I've mostly always fed my dogs from my kitchen, my parents mostly did the same. My grandparents and those before them for some 14 thousand years never used commercial dog food.

I stopped using the store bought completely (90s) after noticing an ad, for one of those fancy dog foods that come in the tiny cans, bragging, "all our meat has been in the USDA inspection process". In other words, it was rejected for human consumption.

That ad, remembering being told by my grandfather that those diseased fevered cattle at the stockyards would go to make dog food, having read The Jungle and understanding that dogs can and will eat most anything, all lead me to making a sort of basic kibble to supplement table scraps for a 100% homemade dog food.

I felt good about my decision when it came out that they used melamine to prop up the protein numbers.

Some things that I have learned

without preservatives, the poop disappears in a couple of days

it costs way less than commercial - time is the biggest factor

the first commercial dog edible - in the late 1800s some Brit salvaged a boatload of spoiled hardtack and sold it as dog biscuits
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Homemade is good, but I'm too lazy to do that for 6 dogs.
We buy some obscenely expensive kibble that's made by our friends, the Canadians. The shepherds get just one cup a day (whereas our customers bring cheap food with directions to feed four cups a day), and it does make for smaller poops. I do homemade chicken jerky for treats, and cook the odd bits to add to the kibble.

Nothing made in China goes into their mouths. Nothing. It's not easy, but we do buy treats that are US or Canadian made.

I guess we're doing ok, our oldest is 18.5.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 pm

k9nanny wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm
... I guess we're doing ok, our oldest is 18.5.
Auto window sticker seen: Silhouette of large poodle, "I Have Standards". :D
So many liberals, so little time. :P

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 pm

k9nanny wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm
Homemade is good, but I'm too lazy to do that for 6 dogs.
We buy some obscenely expensive kibble that's made by our friends, the Canadians. The shepherds get just one cup a day (whereas our customers bring cheap food with directions to feed four cups a day), and it does make for smaller poops. I do homemade chicken jerky for treats, and cook the odd bits to add to the kibble.

Nothing made in China goes into their mouths. Nothing. It's not easy, but we do buy treats that are US or Canadian made.

I guess we're doing ok, our oldest is 18.5.
Never had a dog live that long, but my cat made it to 27. My rescue Bassett did make it to 14.5, not bad for a Bassett.

I think it was the Canadian makers who were buying the crap with the melamine from China.