Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

My favorite thing ever shown on idiot box was the old PBS series "Connections" with James Burke. It was an educational series that covered varied subjects and Burke was very good at illustrating how things evolved or came to be how they are. If you've never seen it, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Best idiot box emanation of all time in my view.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

SNL season finale sucked.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:23 am
Despite some really good political satire, I think they've been warming up for a shark jump for quite some time.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 pm
Despite some really good political satire, I think they've been warming up for a shark jump for quite some time.
People have said that for decades and I don't necessarily disagree, but it stays around. I've wondered if it's just that I'm old. Supposedly a big boost from mocking 45SHOLE.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Only caught some of it - basketball, Elementary - glad it wasn't more, I guess.

Don't Stop Me Now Cold Open - sucked.
Pete Davidson's ensemble rap - sucked.
What's Wrong with This Picture? - not terrible, but very derivative of Black Jeopardy.
DJ Khaled's ensemble rap - sucked. I did not see his 2nd number.
A Journey Through Time - sucked.
Weekend Update - always like the one liners. Jeanine Pirro - sucked. Leslie Jones was fierce on abortion law, but not exactly funny. The one liners they gave each other, whether they were really surprises or not, were pretty good.
Saw an article praising The View: Pete Buttigieg so I just watched it, but it sucked.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I'm not surprised; I've not watched the show since the late 70's or early 80's, when the original cast was on. My favorites were Chevy Chase and Jane Curtin in the Point Counterpoint skits and Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin as the wild and crazy Czech brothers. Garrett Morris "news for the deaf" was also good. A lot of that old stuff would be considered not politically correct these days......but then again, it wasn't then either.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

They forgot to bring the funny.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 pm
O Really wrote:
People have said that for decades and I don't necessarily disagree, but it stays around. I've wondered if it's just that I'm old. Supposedly a big boost from mocking 45SHOLE.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Only caught some of it - basketball, Elementary - glad it wasn't more, I guess.

Pete Davidson's ensemble rap - sucked.
What's Wrong with This Picture? - not terrible, but very derivative of Black Jeopardy.
DJ Khaled's ensemble rap - sucked. I did not see his 2nd number.
A Journey Through Time - sucked.
Weekend Update - always like the one liners. Jeanine Pirro - sucked. Leslie Jones was fierce on abortion law, but not exactly funny. The one liners they gave each other, whether they were really surprises or not, were pretty good.
Saw an article praising The View: Pete Buttigieg so I just watched it, but it sucked.

I loved the Don't Stop Me Now Cold open!! Boo! :toothy:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:43 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
I loved the Don't Stop Me Now Cold open!! Boo! :toothy:
GoCubsGo?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I'm really getting tired of all this Game of Thrones shit; never watched the show and don't give a hoot in hell what happened to anybody in it. It makes me want to write and produce a show called Bowl of Turds or maybe Throw the Bones or even Confronting Dicks Hard Enough to Cut Diamonds. I haven't decided which one.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm
I'm really getting tired of all this Game of Thrones shit; never watched the show and don't give a hoot in hell what happened to anybody in it. It makes me want to write and produce a show called Bowl of Turds or maybe Throw the Bones or even Confronting Dicks Hard Enough to Cut Diamonds. I haven't decided which one.
TV for us old farts:
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons"

A tribute to the sitcoms "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons," featuring fresh takes on original episodes from each. Woody Harrelson takes on the role of Archie Bunker; and Jamie Foxx plays George Jefferson. Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear host.

Tonight, 8:00 PM ET on ABC, 1 hr 31 min
Might be nostalgic trash, but I hope not.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Jamie Foxx might be a believable George Jefferson, but nobody is Archie but Carroll O'Connor. Still, it might be a fun show.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Jamie Foxx might be a believable George Jefferson, but nobody is Archie but Carroll O'Connor. Still, it might be a fun show.
:D

Woody Harrelson has surprised me more than once. Norman Lear is 96!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:50 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:16 pm
:D

Woody Harrelson has surprised me more than once. Norman Lear is 96!
I enjoyed it, but Woody, as were most, was only, "okay".

Florence was back in real form and Uncle Henry was great.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 am
I enjoyed it, but Woody, as were most, was only, "okay".

Florence was back in real form and Uncle Henry was great.
Same here. Nice throwback, but I wouldn't watch a series.
I didn't know that the episodes were from the original how - “Henry’s Farewell”, “A Friend in Need.” - until the half hour commentary at the end, which I enjoyed more than the episodes.
:thumbup: :D :(

I thought Woody was better than Jamie.
Marisa Tomei, Edith, was quirky fun.
A 39 year-old Gloria, Ellie Kemper, and 42 year-old Mike, Ike Barinholtz??? Nope.
88 year-old Marla Gibbs, Florence, was my favorite. My LOL moment was the very last line: "We overcame and no one told me?!"
I wonder why they didn't involve Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers in some fashion. Maybe some of the younger The Jeffersons cast members, too, but I was never a fan of the show so didn't miss them.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Toronto Star: "ABC should rename its reality show Dancing With the Scumbags" :lol:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/o ... mbags.html

"Does anyone really want to watch Sean Spicer dance?

"For 182 long days in 2017, when he served as Donald Trump’s mouthpiece, didn’t we already see him do the cha-cha with facts? As the White House press secretary, did Spicer not already do a rumba with reality, a jive with veracity, a samba with decency? Did his Pinocchio stint not amount to one big tango with the truth?"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:45 pm
Toronto Star: "ABC should rename its reality show Dancing With the Scumbags" :lol:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/o ... mbags.html

"Does anyone really want to watch Sean Spicer dance?

"For 182 long days in 2017, when he served as Donald Trump’s mouthpiece, didn’t we already see him do the cha-cha with facts? As the White House press secretary, did Spicer not already do a rumba with reality, a jive with veracity, a samba with decency? Did his Pinocchio stint not amount to one big tango with the truth?"
Your article doesn't mention the boycott that this one does:

'Dancing With the Stars' Fans Call to “Boycott” ABC Over the Fall Cast

I detest Sean Spicer as much as anyone but sheesh, it’s just a dance competition and some of us will love to see him sweat, fall, fail and be eliminated early. This “controversy” will only increase viewership, and it’s the exact reason that ABC chose him.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:25 pm

I detest Sean Spicer as much as anyone but sheesh, it’s just a dance competition and some of us will love to see him sweat, fall, fail and be eliminated early. This “controversy” will only increase viewership, and it’s the exact reason that ABC chose him.
Spicer won't be the first contestant on DWTS that I didn't like, and I wouldn't refuse to watch it just because of one scumbag contestant. I did make idle threats of "this is bullshit - why do I even watch it..." when Bobby whatshisface won last season.

Bergeron had a good point, though, in his comments:
"Bergeron recalled that he hoped the show “would be a joyful respite from our exhausting political climate and free of inevitably divisive bookings from ANY party affiliations” following its year-long hiatus.

The television personality, who has hosted Dancing with the Stars since 2005, did not explicitly name Spicer, though it is safe to assume he is referring to Trump’s first top flack, whose tenure was marred by repeated blunders.

Though Bergeron wrote that he believed at the time that the producer agreed with him following their meeting, “subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often say in Hollywood, ‘go in a different direction.’”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dancing-w ... es&via=rss

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:35 pm
Spicer won't be the first contestant on DWTS that I didn't like, and I wouldn't refuse to watch it just because of one scumbag contestant. I did make idle threats of "this is bullshit - why do I even watch it..." when Bobby whatshisface won last season....
I heard that was a mess, I didn't watch last year.

The line between politics and celebrity is gone - we've got scandalous stars (Busey), scandalous athletes (Lochte), and even the universally loved gymnasts were quiet #MeToo witnesses.

I hope Spicer wears a bush costume some night. Actually, I probably won't watch much, if at all.

Hannah Brown, Bachelor and Bachelorette alum
Lauren Alaina, singer and songwriter
James Van Der Beek, Dawson's Creek and Pose actor
Ray Lewis, former Baltimore Ravens linebacker
Kate Flannery, a.k.a. Meredith from The Office
Ally Brooke, former singer of the girl group Fifth Harmony
Lamar Odom, NBA star
Kel Mitchell, actor and comedian
Christie Brinkley, model
Mary Wilson, "The Supremes" singer
Karamo Brown, Netflix Queer Eye star

Yawn, Ray Lewis and Christie Brinkley are a little interesting to me, but not a Laurie Hernandez in the bunch. ABC may be on to something. I'm more likely to watch to root against Spicer than to root for anyone.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

And now apparently they're doing away with the troupe dancers, too. Seeing pros who actually knew what they were doing was one of my favourite parts.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/apo ... 33365.html