Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Hope they make Spicey wear his brown suit. Such a good look on him.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I saw the DWTS show once by accident. I would watch it again if Mitch McConnell were to be on it. :wtf:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:45 pm
Toronto Star: "ABC should rename its reality show Dancing With the Scumbags" :lol:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/o ... mbags.html ...
Not signed by me, maybe you or others will want to. FYI regardless.

Tell ABC: No rehabilitation for Sean Spicer

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

No opinion, just interesting to me:
Here's How Much Money the 'Dancing With The Stars' Cast Will Earn

... Variety reports that each contestant will earn $125,000 just for doing the rehearsals and starring in the first two weeks’ worth of episodes.

After the third week, fees go up — although they won’t be as high as in earlier seasons. Previously, a Dancing With the Stars participant could earn up to $345,000, but this year the maximum a winner will get is $295,000.

Still, that’s hardly shabby. And let’s be honest: For many stars the money is just a bonus, as the sheer nature of being on the show can lead to a career resurgence....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Well, if Spicer is a lousy dancer and gets bumped off early, then ABC will have gotten exactly what they wanted - lots of buzz up front and lots of viewers, including haters. Then, in the next few weeks, Spicer will be forgotten. On the other hand, if trumpettes keep voting him in despite lousy dancing, it could turn bad for the show as when they let Bobby Bones win. The dancing is entertaining, but it's a personality-driven show. However, by the time it gets weeded out to about 8 or so, everybody expects the dual left-footers to be gone. Conversely, if Spicer does turn in good dances and the producers turn him into a cute puppy in the profile/practice segments, then most people will likely forget what a slime he was/is. Look at Scaramucci after his brief Big Brother stint and subsequent repentance.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:22 pm
Well, if Spicer is a lousy dancer and gets bumped off early, then ABC will have gotten exactly what they wanted - lots of buzz up front and lots of viewers, including haters. Then, in the next few weeks, Spicer will be forgotten. On the other hand, if trumpettes keep voting him in despite lousy dancing, it could turn bad for the show as when they let Bobby Bones win. The dancing is entertaining, but it's a personality-driven show. However, by the time it gets weeded out to about 8 or so, everybody expects the dual left-footers to be gone. Conversely, if Spicer does turn in good dances and the producers turn him into a cute puppy in the profile/practice segments, then most people will likely forget what a slime he was/is. Look at Scaramucci after his brief Big Brother stint and subsequent repentance.
Think they'll give the judges more weight after last year's fiasco?

I'm not sure that Trumpettes feel positively about Spicer, at least not with enough unanimity to keep him in if he's a poor dancer. We'll see, it may come down to what the Russian hackers do.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Think they'll give the judges more weight after last year's fiasco?

I hope so. Or just make up viewer voting scores if necessary. It's not like they give us actual counts or documentation of what they have anyway. I can see the audience wanting to reward progress, or even effort in the face of adversity (like the one-armed-legged contestants they've had), but by the final four or so, the dancers who turn in the best performances on that day should be the winners.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Greatest female sitcom stars?

1. Lucille Ball
2. Mary Tyler Moore

I could see the case for flipping them. Any other contenders for top 2?

3. ???

My picks, definitely shaped by which shows I liked/watched, characters I liked, and there being years where I hardly watched TV at all, very roughly in descending order:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Jean Stapleton
Elizabeth Montgomery
Lisa Kudrow
Isabel Sanford
Christina Applegate
Betty White
Vivian Vance
Kaley Cuoco
Jenna Elfman
Shelley Long
Helen Hunt
Penny Marshall
Bea Arthur

This may help:
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

MTM fershure, and IMNVHO #1.
I'd go along with Lucy, and follow with Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("maybe the Dingo ate'cher baby", among many many others
Penny Marshall deserves to be on the all-time list, as does Betty White. Some of the others were certainly great in a particular role, but it's hard to break into that top tier of 3-4 that are well above the rest.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:34 pm
... Penny Marshall deserves to be on the all-time list, as does Betty White. Some of the others were certainly great in a particular role, but it's hard to break into that top tier of 3-4 that are well above the rest.
No argument here. They're both examples of women that I know by reputation, clips, and non-sitcom work. I never really got into watching their sitcoms.

Thinking about Vivian Vance actually being a supporting actress led me to:
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Some great ones there, probable leading actresses in a different reality, or they became actual ones on different shows. Without trying to place them in order this time, some of my favs:

Rhea Perlman
Valerie Harper
Loretta Swit
Lisa Kudrow
Jane Krakowski
Mayim Bialik
Nadine Velazquez
Kaley Cuoco (never an Emmy nomination is a crime, one that can no longer be redressed for BBT)
Peri Gilpin
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Valerie Harper is up there with the best, Lisa Kudrow too. I give points for being funny outside their normal roles - interviews, mc-ing, etc. Some points for being/having been in stand-up or improv. Patricia Richardson (Home Improvement) should be on the list somewhere, though not necessarily top 5.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 pm
Valerie Harper is up there with the best, Lisa Kudrow too. I give points for being funny outside their normal roles - interviews, mc-ing, etc. Some points for being/having been in stand-up or improv....
Kudrow also has movies and at least one web series. She was my favorite Friend.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 pm
Valerie Harper is up there with the best, Lisa Kudrow too. I give points for being funny outside their normal roles - interviews, mc-ing, etc. Some points for being/having been in stand-up or improv....
Kudrow also has movies and at least one web series. She was my favorite Friend.
Smelly Cat, smelly Cat...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - I rarely watch it, but still! I have no problem with the acting or writing, I just find the subject matter to be depressing even for a cop show. An entire generation has grown up on its creeps.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Hey billy.p - Jeopardy had a total Kurt Vonnegurt theme tonight.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:39 pm
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - I rarely watch it, but still! I have no problem with the acting or writing, I just find the subject matter to be depressing even for a cop show. An entire generation has grown up on its creeps.
:lol: :oops: I forgot to type the whole point of the post - it's Season 21!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Inside the Amazingly Stupid Far-Right Campaign to Keep Sean Spicer on 'Dancing With the Stars'

"Amazingly Stupid Far-Right" is redundant.

The really funny thing about this is that even if he wins after this massive and pathetic rightwing effort he will still be a poor dancer, just a reality show victor, and the failed press secretary and failed communications director for the failed POSPOTUS admin*. Haha, the joke is on the desperate cons.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 pm
Inside the Amazingly Stupid Far-Right Campaign to Keep Sean Spicer on 'Dancing With the Stars'

The really funny thing about this is that even if he wins after this massive and pathetic rightwing effort he will still be a poor dancer, just a reality show victor, and the failed press secretary and failed communications director for the failed POSPOTUS admin*. Haha, the joke is on the desperate cons.
Take Mr Peabody's Way Back Machine to 2021

The really funny thing about this is that even if he wins after this massive and pathetic rightwing effort he will still be a poor father, just a reality show victor, a failed business man and even as the failed president for the failed POSPOTUS admin* he is their favorite failure. Haha, the joke is on the desperate cons, or maybe not.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 pm
I remember reading that Lisa Kudrow is actually quite smart and educated - a bio science degree (like me)...
:thumbup:
Vassar! :clap:

Just a guess, but I think it takes real intelligence to so successfully portray a ditz.

Real ditzes, like 1 FAT CAN or your LNF friends, we just end up feeling sorry for or are disgusted by and the comedy is ruined.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 pm

The show is going to have to do something about that. Take politics out, the guy is awful. The clumsy Bobby Bones won last season and there was enough uproar the show actually sat out for about a year before resuming, and then supposedly made changes in the scoring. But it's not like the show publishes the actual viewer voting numbers. Just dump him already.