2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

APNewsBreak: Julian Castro moves toward 2020 White House run

Raúl is 87 and the hemisphere needs a Castro as chief of state.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Beto O'Rourke becomes most popular Democratic challenger to Trump in 2020 election, says new poll

Texan Beto O’Rourke has slipped ahead of Joe Biden to become the most popular choice among Democrats to challenge Donald Trump in 2020, according to a new poll.

It's looking like Biden will run, but I hope not - too old, too con.

Even though the 46-year-old congressman narrowly last month failed to win the senate seat of Republican Ted Cruz, his impassioned and charismatic campaign captured the imagination of many, especially progressives.

From what I know he's great, but picking a preference based on a single sexy, statewide campaign seems rash. Plus, anyone can look good next to Cruz.

NBC said an early straw poll of members of the progressive group MoveOn.org showed Mr O’Rourke had narrow passed the former vice president to come the number one choice for presidential candidate in two years.

Ah, not scientific, not even all of the Dems.

Mr O’Rourke came in first with 15.6 per cent of votes, followed by Mr Biden at 14.9 per cent and senator Bernie Sanders 13.1 per cent. In 2016, Mr Sanders, 77, received the endorsement of MoveOn.

Of these 3, I would go with Bernie despite his being ancient - proven track record.

In a survey conducted in October, Mr Biden, 76, was the first choice.

The MoveOn poll also found that as many as 18 per cent of people had not decided their preferred candidate.

Only 18 per cent? I guess I'm on the fringe. Or, maybe people without a preference skipped the straw poll.

The three men were followed by California senator Kamala Harris on 10 per cent support,

Might be good, I'll look forward to learning more.

and senator Elizabeth Warren with 6.4 per cent....

Love her, but also pretty old. Warren vs. Bernie - tough one, maybe Warren by a nose. But, still maybe Beto or Harris after they campaign some.
ALOHA 2020
(Rep.) Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) Is Reaching Out to Staffers for Possible 2020 Run

Tulsi Gabbard

Not that she has much of a chance on her first attempt, but she would be the first Hindu, first woman, first Samoan American, first Hawaii resident (Obama was just born there), first veteran since HW Bush (Baby Shrub's messed up Air NG service to avoid going anywhere near combat doesn't count), and maybe the first ever to be currently serving (Army National Guard).
Tulsi Gabbard
Verified account @TulsiGabbard

Hey @realdonaldtrump: being Saudi Arabia’s bitch is not “America First.”

9:01 AM - 21 Nov 2018
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status ... 1977738240
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren releases new video on possibility of 2020 run

Love her politics. Her age, 71 in 2020, concerns me.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Not sure if she's the one. I think a lot of voters will think of her as too extreme, and after four years of the trump kind of too extreme, I just don't think it'll work. Like you, I agree with her politics.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:17 pm
Not sure if she's the one.
Same here.
I think a lot of voters will think of her as too extreme, and after four years of the trump kind of too extreme, I just don't think it'll work. Like you, I agree with her politics.
Idk, there are some indications that voters want pols that stand for something and aren't that concerned about "too extreme". The GOP did choose Dolt .45 even though he extremely stood for contradictory, hateful and stupid things, and all polls showed that extremist Bernie! would have done better vs. Dolt .45 than moderate, somewhat flip-flopping Hillary did.

Whether it's for Warren or someone else, I hope that Dems vote for who they think will make the best POTUS and not outsmart themselves again by trying to guess the most electable.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I think a lot of Dems will run; one of the talking heads I read says nearly two dozen. Guess we'll see. I remember that when I realized trump was going to win , I got that same sort of feeling you get when you flush the toilet and instead of it going down and out it starts rising.....it's not a good feeling and I don't want it again.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 pm
I think a lot of Dems will run; one of the talking heads I read says nearly two dozen. Guess we'll see. I remember that when I realized trump was going to win , I got that same sort of feeling you get when you flush the toilet and instead of it going down and out it starts rising.....it's not a good feeling and I don't want it again.
Some Dems will have similar politics to Warren, won't have her baggage and will be younger. I'm hoping that there's one of them that I can get enthusiastic about.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Bet on Beto? Bongs for Beto?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 pm
Bet on Beto? Bongs for Beto?
Idk. He seems great, but I get a little nervous when someone appears out of nowhere and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I'll sure give him a look, though. Coming as close as he did, IN TEXAS, sure speaks to his potential electability nationwide.

Not Biden, John Kerry, Michael Bloomberg, Tom Steyer, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Avenatti or Hillary.

I love Bernie!, but he's even older.

Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, Sherrod Brown, Jeff Merkeley, Kate Brown, Joachim and/or Julian Castro . . .

Likely Democratic Candidates for POTUS in 2020 [Updated to Reply to Comments]

Seems chaotic now, but 2019 polling and fundraising will weed out a bunch of posers.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

That's sort of what I meant about him....he did a lot better than I thought he would against Ted (you look like a fish monster) Cruz way down there in the heart of Texas. I was impressed. Come to think of it, Texas needs a nut like Ted.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 pm
That's sort of what I meant about him....he did a lot better than I thought he would against Ted (you look like a fish monster) Cruz way down there in the heart of Texas. I was impressed. Come to think of it, Texas needs a nut like Ted.
Don't they already have a gomert?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

He's a real prize as well but relegated to the lesser chamber; he should be the pseudo manager at a sewage treatment plant. He could probably cause some sort of toxic spill or overflow. He makes me want to write bad checks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

For better or worse Warren's early move seems to be sucking the air from other progressives. They may have to step up soon if they want a shot.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 pm
ALOHA 2020
(Rep.) Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) Is Reaching Out to Staffers for Possible 2020 Run

Tulsi Gabbard

Not that she has much of a chance on her first attempt, but she would be the first Hindu, first woman, first Samoan American, first Hawaii resident (Obama was just born there), first veteran since HW Bush (Baby Shrub's messed up Air NG service to avoid going anywhere near combat doesn't count), and maybe the first ever to be currently serving (Army National Guard).
Tulsi Gabbard
Verified account @TulsiGabbard

Hey @realdonaldtrump: being Saudi Arabia’s bitch is not “America First.”

9:01 AM - 21 Nov 2018
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status ... 1977738240
Democratic Hawaii Rep. Gabbard running for president in 2020

I like the demographic diversity, but have no opinion on her candidacy yet.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Former Obama housing chief Julian Castro joins 2020 (presidential) campaign

I don't know much about him, but have a good impression. As a former San Antonio mayor and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development he'll be able to point to large organization management experience that others don't have.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Castro will benefit from early access to Latino support.

Kirsten Gillibrand joins growing Democratic presidential field with 'Late Show' announcement

She'll benefit from early access to NY media and money.
... Over the past year, Gillibrand, the junior senator from New York, has emerged as one of the most recognizable faces of the #MeToo movement. But with Tuesday’s announcement she becomes the third female Democrat to declare her presidential ambitions, behind Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard. California Sen. Kamala Harris is expected to enter the race soon as well....
Warren's got the national name recognition and many of the progressives.
Harris has early access to CA media and money, blacks and, for whatever it's worth, Asian Indians and maybe Canadians.
Unless she's very dynamic, I think Gabbard is already SOoL. Maybe she's just hoping to enhance her standing.

Niche appeal may not win the nomination, but it will help winnow the field.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sen. Kamala Harris Announces 2020 Presidential Candidacy

Also 2 that I never heard of:
Richard Ojeda

Richard Neece Ojeda II; born September 25, 1970) is an American politician and retired Army Major who served as the West Virginia State Senator from the 7th district from 2016 until his resignation in January 2019. A member of the Democratic Party, he is running a campaign for President of the United States in the upcoming 2020 election.

Ojeda received national attention when he became a vocal supporter of the 2018 teachers' strike and advocated for the legalization of cannabis in West Virginia. Ojeda announced his candidacy for the presidency of the United States on November 12, 2018. While Ojeda considers himself a moderate, his political views have been likened more to left-wing populism. Ojeda is running on a Medicare for all, legalization of cannabis, anti-lobbyism and government accountability platform....

John Delaney

John Kevin Delaney (born April 16, 1963) is an American politician and businessman who is running for President of the United States in 2020. He was the United States Representative for Maryland's 6th congressional district from 2013 to 2019. He is a member of the Democratic Party.

On July 28, 2017, Delaney became the first Democrat to announce he is running for president in 2020. Delaney announced that he would not run for re-election to Congress in 2018, and David Trone was elected to succeed him....

Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Good grief - even the ones you never heard of (and probably never will) are more qualified than the current incumbent.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Pete Buttigieg

Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg (born January 19, 1982) is an American combat veteran and politician, serving as the 32nd Mayor of South Bend, Indiana, since 2012. A member of the Democratic Party, Buttigieg is a graduate of Harvard University, a Rhodes Scholar, and a veteran of the War in Afghanistan. He is a candidate for President of the United States in the 2020 election, and as such is the first ever openly gay Democratic presidential candidate.
1312. ETTD.