welfare sucks

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Re: welfare sucks

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

neoplacebo wrote:
Reality wrote:Now back to tax breaks.

Does anyone other than me use the equity in their home to get a loan to make major purchases because the interst paid on the loan is tax deductible?

Should I cancel my loan and put the balance on my CC's and no longer get a tax break so I can pay more tax?

I'm beginning to lose sleep over this.
I've done that before, lost sleep, and went back to credit cards. No, actually, I have borrowed against the house just for that reason. Hell, I wish credit card interest was tax deductible like it was back in the 60's; maybe then it would be more apparent to the confused who drives the economy. Hint; millionaries don't generally use credit cards
I rarely use credit but there are enough Zero int. CC floating around now that for a small purchase of a few thousand dollars you can get what you want interest free.
A local contractor turned me on to this a few yrs. back, he would always pay them off with in a year or so and he saved money and eliminated the bank as his partner.

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Interest free CC's are usually good for only one year. El's usually extend for 10-15 years and the interest paid on EL's reduces your tax liability.

Ut oh, I'm using the tax code to reduce my tax liability. Shame on me. Wonder if Obama uses the tax code to redcue his tax liability. Nah, he wouldn't do that.

Hmmmm..? Wonder if Michelle's Mom receives SS while living on the taxpayer's dole as the 1st Granny? Probably does but doesn't report her free food and board as income. Typical middle class, why have Grandma come watch the kids when we are away and then return home? Why not move Granny in permanently and why not take her along on all of our vacations. Her expenses are free or no cost to us. Hey out there! We understand and can identify with the middle class.

Hmmm...? Has anyone seen or heard from the 1st Granny lately. The only one more out of the spot light than she is Hillary. Why is that?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Reality wrote:Interest free CC's are usually good for only one year. El's usually extend for 10-15 years and the interest paid on EL's reduces your tax liability.

Ut oh, I'm using the tax code to reduce my tax liability. Shame on me. Wonder if Obama uses the tax code to redcue his tax liability. Nah, he wouldn't do that.

Hmmmm..? Wonder if Michelle's Mom receives SS while living on the taxpayer's dole as the 1st Granny? Probably does but doesn't report her free food and board as income. Typical middle class, why have Grandma come watch the kids when we are away and then return home? Why not move Granny in permanently and why not take her along on all of our vacations. Her expenses are free or no cost to us. Hey out there! We understand and can identify with the middle class.

Hmmm...? Has anyone seen or heard from the 1st Granny lately. The only one more out of the spot light than she is Hillary. Why is that?
Maybe the spotlight is busted. it's funny; down at Ingle's I (and every other customer) have to pay a certain percentage of what I buy there in sales tax that is added to my total. That percentage doesn't change if I'm rich or poor; it stays the same. The income tax system should be the same way. The reason it isn't that way is because rich people don't want it that way. In general, the wealthier you are, the more tax breaks and advantages you can take advantage of. I think that's wrong; I didn't vote for it. Income tax should be a definite per cent of your income for everyone. I will go on to say that if I had the choice of voting and paying taxes or not having the right to vote and not paying taxes, I would take the latter.

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

For all you non BRN forum members you have witnessed the classic twist by none othe than the Vred. She post a year old link to answer the question asked about where is the 1st Granny, like right now, and then proceeds to interpret the question and other questions about the 1st Granny as an attack on same. She then accuses the poster of the question as being lazy because a "google" exercise was not tried to find the year old link she found. If google shuts down the Vred may have to get a real job to occupy her time.

The thread was primarily talking about taxes, tax breaks, and attacks on the so called rich for using the tax code to their advantage. However and as always, when any questions are asked about the first family, the Vred goes on the attack by groveling the bowels of google in an effort to find a smidgen of counter point that feebly tries to discredit the original poster.

Hey Vred, since you spend so much time on google why not find out if 1st Granny filed income tax last year and what loop hole she found to hide her free room and board.

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Well, the Vred is approaching critical mass again. When she resorts to name calling you know it won't be long.

AntiAlias
Pilot Officer

Unread post by AntiAlias »

Reality wrote:Well, the Vred is approaching critical mass again. When she resorts to name calling you know it won't be long.
Tell us about the Commander and Chief.

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

What do you want to know?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Colonel Taylor wrote:You mean the great uniter (community organizer) couldn't sway a couple of republicans to his side?
:roll:
Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell " The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

Nope, he probably couldn't have swayed any. But just for fun, let's see if any of our own right-sided members would have voted for any Obama proposal had they been in the House of Senate.
Anybody? Which one(s)?

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Reality wrote:Why not move Granny in permanently and why not take her along on all of our vacations. Her expenses are free or no cost to us.
Liar. Wherever she goes, the Obamas pay her way.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

and it is ugly.
Attachments
watch 3.3 million piaget-emperador-temple-diamonds-watch1.jpg
watch 3.3 million piaget-emperador-temple-diamonds-watch1.jpg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

Envy is a terrible thing!

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Vrede wrote:Image

Sold for $75.1 million yesterday. Tell me the rich can't part with a bit more because they have to "create jobs".
I still think it hilarious how the libs still think those who are successful should hand their money over to them.

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

Vrede wrote:
Supsalemgr wrote:Envy is a terrible thing!
Thanks for admitting it, given that you're the one in thrall with wealth, not us. Get help.
Wroing again. I am quite comfortable myself and applaud folks who are highly successful with their endeavors.

O Really
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote: I still think it hilarious how the libs still think those who are successful should hand their money over to them.
So you don't approve of a graduated income tax. Fine. Just say so and you don't have to propagate Robin Hood myths.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Sold for $75.1 million yesterday. Tell me the rich can't part with a bit more because they have to "create jobs".
Opps! Damn; I've thrown away four or five of those things. :oops:

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

neoplacebo wrote:

Opps! Damn; I've thrown away four or five of those things. :oops:
Me, too! I was checking paint samples and how they might appear in different light.

Damn! :x

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

O Really wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote: I still think it hilarious how the libs still think those who are successful should hand their money over to them.
So you don't approve of a graduated income tax. Fine. Just say so and you don't have to propagate Robin Hood myths.
Robin Hood was a thief wasn't he?

O Really
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:
O Really wrote:
Do you think a graduated income tax is thievery? Yes or No.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

O Really wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:
O Really wrote:
Do you think a graduated income tax is thievery? Yes or No.
I don't think we have one do you?
How can it be graduated system when half the folks pay nothing and others get money back. Do you agree we don't have a graduated system?
I think a flat tax would be the fairest with no deductions or loop holes.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Colonel Taylor wrote:
O Really wrote: Do you think a graduated income tax is thievery? Yes or No.
I don't think we have one do you?
How can it be graduated system when half the folks pay nothing and others get money back. Do you agree we don't have a graduated system?
I think a flat tax would be the fairest with no deductions or loop holes.
First, that crack-addled far-right fantasy world where "half the folks pay nothing", does not exist. Romney's 47% still pays state, county, city, sales, gas, social security, medicare/medicaid, property tax and excise tax on cigarettes and alcohol. Half of them pay payroll taxes (and probably work harder than Romney ever did in his life.) Of the half that don't, most are retirees who have paid taxes all their lives. Of the tiny number remaining, you're talking about the disabled, recent graduates who are not paying taxes yet but will, and those recently unemployed but who will resume paying full taxes.

When the right-wingnuts complain about "Here's What Really Happened on Nov. 6; 7M Less Whites Voted", you can be sure that a lot of those non-voters were Republicans who paid taxes all their lives only to be declared parasites by Romney.

It was a claim by a moron, for morons.

Second, the graduated system where the rich pay more, has been reversed. The rich pay a lower rate than you do.

The rich were paying taxes on their income over $400,000 at a 70 percent rate when Reagan entered the White House. Now they pay taxes at no more than 35 percent. Obama only wanted to move it back to 39.6 percent.

And that's before loopholes. After exploiting loopholes, the richest pay taxes at about half that rate. In 2005, for instance, the top 400 income-earners in the United States took home an average $214 million. They paid only 18.5 percent of that in federal income tax. Citation

According to a February 2011 analysis of 2007 IRS statistics by a columnist for Tax Notes, the average taxpayer residing in New York City's posh Helmsley Building (owned before her death by Leona Helmsley, who once reportedly said that "only the little people pay taxes") paid only 14.7 percent of his income in federal taxes while New York City janitors and security guards (such as those employed by the Helmsley Building) paid about 24 percent. Helmsley residents were taxed less for Social Security and Medicare, and much of their $1.17 million average income was in capital gains, which are taxed at the same rate as the wages of modestly paid (up to $34,000 a year) workers. [Forbes, 2-22-2011; Tax Notes, 2-21-2011]

And that's without tricks like off-shore tax havens. Mitt Romney paid a 14 percent effective tax rate last year. It's widely believed - with good reason - that Romney is holding back tax returns because he paid far less.