Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Seth Milner wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:Have you read Killing Mr Watson
no...I'll check it out though . . . why?

Same area
Different time
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:
Same area Different time
Very interesting; I found what you were getting at. As much as I have researched Chokoloskee, I was not aware it's really an old Indian mound with a history.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:
Same area Different time
Very interesting; I found what you were getting at. As much as I have researched Chokoloskee, I was not aware it's really an old Indian mound with a history.
Anything with a little elevation was likely a trash pile
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Chokoloskee probably isn't a place you'd like to live. Visit, sure. Stay a week and fish and paddle around and take an airboat ride. Live - not so much.
It's a long way from anywhere with a real grocery, much less anything like a cinema. Lots of tourists and mosquitoes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:Getting all ready for the drive to work tomorrow.
Shoveled the steps.
Shoveled a path to the rig with better traction.
Cleared some snow off the rig.
Found out the battery was dead.
Cleared the snow off the hood.
Cleared the snow off the hatchback so I could get the jumper cables.
Cleared some snow off the other rig.
Cleared the snow off the hood.
Got it stuck.
Shoveled a path from the rig with better traction to the stuck other rig.
Jumped the rig with better traction, let it run.
Parked the other rig, did not get stuck.
The snow is wet underneath. It's heavy and will be ice tomorrow.
Shoveled the steps and the path to the rig with better traction again.
Hour and a half.
More snow coming tonight.

Fuck you, billy.pilgrim and O Really.
Rig with better traction battery dead again, LOL. Time for a new battery.
No matter, just snow pack, no ice, no slides, a fair bit of dry road coming home.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:Chokoloskee probably isn't a place you'd like to live. Visit, sure. Stay a week and fish and paddle around and take an airboat ride. Live - not so much.
It's a long way from anywhere with a real grocery, much less anything like a cinema. Lots of tourists and mosquitoes.

Glad I recommended killing Mr watson and looked at the link seth posted, I had no idea that matthiessen wrote more books about this area.

This book inspired my 1st camping trip to the SW coast. Images like the cattlemen driving their herds down the main streets of ft. Myres tend to stick. Florida was the wild west long after texas settled. Even john Wesley Hardin fled texas for the wilds of florida.

The book that inspired my 1st trip along the east coast was River of Grass

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:Chokoloskee probably isn't a place you'd like to live. Visit, sure. Stay a week and fish and paddle around and take an airboat ride. Live - not so much.
I visited there once about 20 years ago; kinda sorta fell in love with the place. I know it's more populated now, and the mosquitos can rip the top off a can of Raid and party on it, big time, but the isolation and the friendliness of the natives attracts me, and since there's only me, Spook
(my Black Lab), my boat, and my 4WD Chevy, it's ideal pickings for the hermit life. I'm not much on cinemas, can't remember the last time I went, tourists don't bother me, (it's the same where I live now because of the summer weekly rentals), and as long as the fish are biting alongside the mosquitos . . . I'm happy!
billy.pilgrim wrote: Anything with a little elevation was likely a trash pile.
Images like the cattlemen driving their herds down the main streets of Ft. Myers tend to stick.
Maybe the elevation is a dung heap? :lol: :wtf:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
I visited there once about 20 years ago; kinda sorta fell in love with the place. I know it's more populated now, and the mosquitos can rip the top off a can of Raid and party on it, big time, but the isolation and the friendliness of the natives attracts me, and since there's only me, Spook
(my Black Lab), my boat, and my 4WD Chevy, it's ideal pickings for the hermit life. I'm not much on cinemas, can't remember the last time I went, tourists don't bother me, (it's the same where I live now because of the summer weekly rentals), and as long as the fish are biting alongside the mosquitos . . . I'm happy!
billy.pilgrim wrote: Anything with a little elevation was likely a trash pile.
Images like the cattlemen driving their herds down the main streets of Ft. Myers tend to stick.
Maybe the elevation is a dung heap? :lol: :wtf:
nah, they sink and stink. Rule 1, leave the mound to shit

But seriously, there are many large trash mounds along the Gulf Coast all the way to Pensacola. Mostly of god's food - oyster shells

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote: But seriously, there are many large trash mounds along the Gulf Coast all the way to Pensacola. Mostly of god's food - oyster shells
As long as they remain stable for, oh say, the next 50 years . . .

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote: But seriously, there are many large trash mounds along the Gulf Coast all the way to Pensacola. Mostly of god's food - oyster shells
As long as they remain stable for, oh say, the next 50 years . . .

Oyster shells makes an excellent foundation

Kinda same subject, all the land in pensacola, south of main street, was built when the trade ships unloaded ballast stones.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote: I visited there once about 20 years ago; kinda sorta fell in love with the place. I know it's more populated now, and the mosquitos can rip the top off a can of Raid and party on it, big time, but the isolation and the friendliness of the natives attracts me, and since there's only me, Spook
[
Probably Chokoloskee itself hasn't gotten all that more populated. There's only so much space, most of it long occupied or not buildable. But Marco Island, Naples, etc. have tripled since then. Everglades City is the closest "town", where the pretend grocers are (along with a really good fish market for those of us who don't fish.) Anyway, Lady O Really and I go "around" there fairly often during the winter - biking the Fakahatchee Strand, 'yaking the Turner, but really don''t have any reason to got out to Chokoloskee. So I guess that's why it would work out for a "hermit", eh?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote: I visited there once about 20 years ago; kinda sorta fell in love with the place. I know it's more populated now, and the mosquitos can rip the top off a can of Raid and party on it, big time, but the isolation and the friendliness of the natives attracts me, and since there's only me, Spook
[
Probably Chokoloskee itself hasn't gotten all that more populated. There's only so much space, most of it long occupied or not buildable. But Marco Island, Naples, etc. have tripled since then. Everglades City is the closest "town", where the pretend grocers are (along with a really good fish market for those of us who don't fish.) Anyway, Lady O Really and I go "around" there fairly often during the winter - biking the Fakahatchee Strand, 'yaking the Turner, but really don''t have any reason to got out to Chokoloskee. So I guess that's why it would work out for a "hermit", eh?

Don't you live in central fla

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Naples.
Until the winter residence rolls back northward. Then it's a while in Clearwater, St.Aug and then on to Springtime in the mountains.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Naples.
Until the winter residence rolls back northward. Then it's a while in Clearwater, St.Aug and then on to Springtime in the mountains.
Not sure where I got the idea you live in Ocala.

Wards seafood in Clearwater and connies bbq in south st. Pete

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote: Not sure where I got the idea you live in Ocala.
Nope, although I'd be happy to. My years as a Florida resident were in Miami, Atlantic Beach, and, for a shorter time, Clearwater Beach.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Seth Milner wrote: I've got a potential buyer for my property, if it pans out, my ass is moving to Florida too.
Not. Now anyway. Damn guy's a millionaire and wants me to practically give him my property. Cold day in hell before that happens; (well we had our cold day, but he still didn't get the property). To make matters worse, the place I wanted to buy in FL sold. Oh well, guess Vrede too's going to have a sparring partner for a while longer, and I'll keep looking. :thumbsup:

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:...Oh well, guess Vrede too's going to have a sparring partner for a while longer, and I'll keep looking. :thumbsup:
Do you think we'uns don't have the innernets in Florida?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:Do you think ...
It's already been established that he doesn't.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:...Oh well, guess Vrede too's going to have a sparring partner for a while longer, and I'll keep looking. :thumbsup:

we do, but they can't penetrate the lead shielding

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Gosh! You'll miss me!? I hadn't given much thought as to whether you'un's all had innernets, but my plans are to spend the remainder of my days doing what I loves mostest: boatin' and fishin' with my pal Spook, and to hell with the rest of the outside wurl; I've had my fill of it.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:Do you think we'uns don't have the innernets in Florida?
we do, but they can't penetrate the lead shielding
Nor do computers work anymore after they've been immersed in water.
Seth Milner wrote:...Oh well, guess Vrede too's going to have a sparring partner for a while longer
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:Do you think ...
It's already been established that he doesn't.
:thumbup: That's what I'm talkin' about! :thumbup: