Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:Nor do computers work anymore after they've been immersed in water.
That depends on the computer. Back in the '80s the computer store I was working for sold a PC that we demonstrated at computer shows submerged in a fish tank. (We were selling it to grain elevators and other high dust environments.)

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

rstrong wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Nor do computers work anymore after they've been immersed in water.
That depends on the computer. Back in the '80s the computer store I was working for sold a PC that we demonstrated at computer shows submerged in a fish tank. (We were selling it to grain elevators and other high dust environments.)
Don't try to bust my bubble. When this computer gets baptized, it's going down for the last time.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

As I once again don't open a notification of Seth Milner quoting me, I can't help but marvel at the narcissistic, illiterate stupidity of a poster that fancies himself to be sparring when 95% of his whining about me isn't being read.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Don't try to bust my bubble. When this computer gets baptized, it's going down for the last time.
Did you not install the Windows update that makes your computer waterproof????
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Do fish have people screensavers?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote:..., but my plans are to spend the remainder of my days doing what I loves mostest: boatin' and fishin' with my pal Spook, and to hell with the rest of the outside wurl; I've had my fill of it.

[
I've got favorite interests, too, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere where those were the only things I could do.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

JTA wrote: Did you not install the Windows update that makes your computer waterproof????
I did get a call from the Windows Technical Department offering to sell me that feature, but I declined.
Vrede too wrote:As I once again don't open a notification of Seth Milner quoting me, I can't help but marvel at the narcissistic, illiterate stupidity of a poster that fancies himself to be sparring when 95% of his whining about me isn't being read.
Whining about me again, as usual. 0:-?> You can't help but marvel because your low IQ is a marvel.
You're not reading my posts? You really know how to hurt a guy, don't you? :( My world just came crashing down around me.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:..., but my plans are to spend the remainder of my days doing what I loves mostest: boatin' and fishin' with my pal Spook, and to hell with the rest of the outside wurl; I've had my fill of it.
I've got favorite interests, too, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere where those were the only things I could do.
Diff'rent strokes you know . . . I can still drive . . . or boat . . . or walk . . . or get carried:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:...Oh well, guess Vrede too's going to have a sparring partner for a while longer, and I'll keep looking. :thumbsup:
Do you think we'uns don't have the innernets in Florida?
Gosh! You'll miss me!? I hadn't given much thought as to whether you'un's all had innernets, but my plans are to spend the remainder of my days doing what I loves mostest: boatin' and fishin' with my pal Spook, and to hell with the rest of the outside wurl; I've had my fill of it.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:Do you think we'uns don't have the innernets in Florida?
we do, but they can't penetrate the lead shielding
Nor do computers work anymore after they've been immersed in water.
Seth Milner wrote:...Oh well, guess Vrede too's going to have a sparring partner for a while longer
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:Do you think ...
It's already been established that he doesn't.
:thumbup: That's what I'm talkin' about! :thumbup:
Got any winter bass fishing tips? I had an unsuccessful trip last week.

I did catch a stick though, that was pretty exciting.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

What kind of cruel idiot names their Black Lab an extremely disparaging, offensive and contemptuous word used to refer to a black person? Why not "Nigger" or "Jigaboo", instead?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

"Spook" is a perfectly good name for a pet. "Spooky" on the other hand....

A friend's kids named their cat "Spooky." Which seemed perfectly reasonable, until one night it got out and he found himself walking down a residential street late at night yelling "SPOOOOKY!.... SPOOOOOOOOOOKY!...."

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:What kind of cruel idiot names their Black Lab an extremely disparaging, offensive and contemptuous word used to refer to a black person? Why not "Nigger" or "Jigaboo", instead?
I was reading a story by HP Lovecraft. In it, the protagonist had a black cat named "Niggerman".

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's only perfectly good and reasonable to walk down a lily white residential trailer park street late at night yelling "SPOOOOK!.... SPOOOOOOOOOOK!...."

Even then, some of the Bubba's will think you're warning them.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Spook" has meanings and connotations not related to race disparagement, and was in use long before somebody decided to refer to black people as "spooks." If your name is "Mick" you're not going to change it just to keep from offending the Irish. And you're not going to quit buying "Spic 'n Span" because you're Hispanic.
"Nigger", on the other hand, does not.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Even then, some of the Bubba's will think you're warning them.
That could end like Top Gear's visit to Alabama.

O Really
Admiral

A fun list to compile would be things you can't buy or use because somebody somewhere has used the term disparagingly.
Starting with my previous examples, above, you can''t name your kid or dog "Mick" (nor listen to the Stones); you can't use Spic and Span;
etc.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

You have to use "Ted" instead of Rafael because of Republican xenophobia...

O Really
Admiral

You certainly can't have "crackers" with your cheese, eat an "Oreo" or find a "nip" in the air. And you can't call your relative "uncle" unless he uses the full name "Thomas."

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

JTA wrote:Got any winter bass fishing tips? I had an unsuccessful trip last week.
Not being any kind of fishing expert, there's no special tips I can offer other than stay warm and stay dry; both make for a better fishing experience.

I did catch a stick though, that was pretty exciting.
I'm rather good at catching those as well; they taste better deep-fried . . . much better than crow.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: rstrong. Seth Milner better not lose his dog in the wrong neighborhood.

O Really, do you think it's accidental when a Black Lab gets named "Spook" by a slaver flag defender?
Usage note

When referring to a black person, the term spook dates back to the 1940s. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as highly insulting. Black pilots who trained at Tuskegee Institute during World War II were called the Spookwaffe....
JTA,

H. P. Lovecraft: Race, ethnicity, and class
On the Creation of Niggers
by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
1312. ETTD.