Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Vrede too wrote:What kind of cruel idiot names their Black Lab an extremely disparaging, offensive and contemptuous word used to refer to a black person? Why not "Nigger" or "Jigaboo", instead?
What kind of stupid, assuming blow-hard would assume that naming a dog "Spook" is intended to be offensive and contemptuous to the Black race? Not everyone struts around with a holier-than-thou soapbox attitude at the ready, waiting to crucify someone because their half-witted mind can't comprehend. If you, yourself want to refer to Blacks as "Niggers" or "Jigaboos", that's your business; keep your nose out of mine.
Just so you won't have to change your silkies twice, Spook, being a black Labrador, is black in color. When he was a puppy, his bark was more of a squeal. At night, the sound was spooky . . . is it coming to you now? You can climb down off your box now.
O Really wrote:"Spook" has meanings and connotations not related to race disparagement, and was in use long before somebody decided to refer to black people as "spooks." If your name is "Mick" you're not going to change it just to keep from offending the Irish. And you're not going to quit buying "Spic 'n Span" because you're Hispanic. "Nigger", on the other hand, does not.
rstrong wrote:"Spook" is a perfectly good name for a pet. "Spooky" on the other hand....
Thank you both.

A friend's kids named their cat "Spooky." Which seemed perfectly reasonable, until one night it got out and he found himself walking down a residential street late at night yelling "SPOOOOKY!.... SPOOOOOOOOOOKY!...."
Only if Vrede too lived in his neighborhood; he'd be read the riot act for his insensitivity.
Vrede too wrote:It's only perfectly good and reasonable to walk down a lily white residential trailer park street late at night yelling "SPOOOOK!.... SPOOOOOOOOOOK!...." Even then, some of the Bubba's will think you're warning them.
If that troubles you so deeply, I can only recommend you not walk into a Black residential trailer park late at night yelling "SPOOOOK!.... SPOOOOOOOOOOK!...." I really don't think you'll find any Bubba's in a lily white residential trailer park; unless of course, you live in one and are very familiar with same.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote: O Really, do you think it's accidental when a Black Lab gets named "Spook" by a slaver flag defender?
I don't know, but it seems to me most people don't name their dogs something they consider racially derogotory. Shar Peis named "Chink" or Chihuahuas named "Beaner?" "Raghead" the Afghan Hound? Could be, but I don't think it's typical. But since the term is now declared derogatory in all contexts, I'd appreciate your not using it in regard to my former occupation over in the "Big Brother" thread. ;)

O Really
Admiral

Back to a weather issue...
Local news had a toronado warning with bad storm down in southern Collier County, close to where Seth wants to live. The weather chick said, "the good part is that there aren't very many people around there, just a lot of alligators." :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

We've all seen that slaver flag defending Seth Milner is not "most people" or "typical".

"derogatory in all contexts" is a straw man. We're discussing using it as a proper name, and for a Black Lab. That said, I deliberately stopped using it in any context months ago even though I was unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions.
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote::lol: rstrong. Seth Milner better not lose his dog in the wrong neighborhood.

O Really, do you think it's accidental when a Black Lab gets named "Spook" by a slaver flag defender?
Usage note

When referring to a black person, the term spook dates back to the 1940s. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as highly insulting. Black pilots who trained at Tuskegee Institute during World War II were called the Spookwaffe....
JTA,

H. P. Lovecraft: Race, ethnicity, and class
On the Creation of Niggers
by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

Lovecraft was definitelt a racist asshole, that's for sure.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:We've all seen that slaver flag defending Seth Milner is not "most people" or "typical".
Still whining about me, and . .

We're discussing using it as a proper name, and for a Black Lab.
. . . now whining about my dog. Get a life, Busy-Body.

That said, I deliberately stopped using it in any context months ago even though I was unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too must be oh so proud of his ability to trash any thread with his narcissism and cute comments. (beginning on page 3) Nothing more a lonely, old troll.
Seth Milner wrote:When he was a puppy, his bark was more of a squeal. At night, the sound was spooky.
Vrede too should change his name to Spook; his barking is nothing more than a (pathetic) squeal too.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Seth Milner wrote:Vrede too must be oh so proud of his ability to trash any thread with his narcissism and cute comments. (beginning on page 3) Nothing more a lonely, old troll.
Seth Milner wrote:When he was a puppy, his bark was more of a squeal. At night, the sound was spooky.
Vrede too should change his name to Spook; his barking is nothing more than a (pathetic) squeal too.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:We've all seen that slaver flag defending Seth Milner is not "most people" or "typical".

"derogatory in all contexts" is a straw man. We're discussing using it as a proper name, and for a Black Lab. That said, I deliberately stopped using it in any context months ago even though I was unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions.
Reversing the phrases in your sentence, "...I deliberately stopped using it in any context months ago even though I was unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions...derogatory in all contexts" is a straw man"

Looks like it's not a straw man after all.

BTW, when was the last time you heard anybody refer to black people as "spooks." I'll bet it's been a while.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

bannination wrote:

Thank you, bannination. Vrede too couldn't make a decent post in this thread without whining about me. Good show!

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:

BTW, when was the last time you heard anybody refer to black people as "spooks." I'll bet it's been a while.
He hasn't heard it, especially not in this forum. He's merely displaying his narcissism in hopes of earning a few popularity brownie points. I told him some time ago that since he's rubbing elbows (or whatever) with other health professionals, surely there's one somewhere capable of administering some professional mental help for him. Vrede too, can you say 'fail'?

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

My Spook

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:Image
My Spook
My dog used to be racist as fuck.

When I first got her she was only around white people, because I'm white and so was my family. Well I was going through a drive thru and she saw her first black person. She flipped the fuck out. She was like "wtf is going on" and barked and growled.

Shes also black, that hypocrite.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

JTA wrote: My dog used to be racist . . .
You been swillin' and readin' Facebook again?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Reversing the phrases in your sentence, "...I deliberately stopped using it in any context months ago even though I was unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions...derogatory in all contexts" is a straw man"

Looks like it's not a straw man after all.

You're leaping to an incorrect assumption. I merely said that I'm already using alternatives since you challenged me to quit something I already quit. I would not have mentioned it otherwise. I don't care if anyone else uses the word when unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions. Using it as a proper name and for a Black Lab is different.

Nope.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:Image
Let me guess - entirely whining about me sans any acceptance of responsibility for being so oblivious or so hateful as to have named his Black Lab a well known racial epithet. Maybe he has no intention of he and his dog ever being within earshot of a black. Can you imagine the predictable and automatic reaction to overhearing, "Here Spook, here BOY." I guess that's how slaver flag defenders are, no consideration for others and no shame. I'm so glad that I was raised better than that.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Now, now, baby. Everything will be all right, plese don't whine.
Vrede too wrote: Let me guess - entirely whining about me sans any acceptance of responsibility for being so oblivious or so hateful as to have named his Black Lab a well known racial epithet.
Keep guessing; (anybody keeping score?)

Maybe he has no intention of he and his dog ever being within earshot of a black.
Can you imagine the predictable and automatic reaction to overhearing, "Here Spook, here BOY."
I can imagine, because I've been there, done that. FWIW, I didn't name him, a BLACK friend who gave me Spook when he was a puppy named him. I was saving that tid-bit to see how far you were going with this childish ranting whine of yours. Next whine?

I guess that's how slaver flag defenders are, no consideration for others and no shame.
I guess you're the epitome of "truth, justice, and the American way", huh?
How many soap boxes have you stepped through in your quest as the redeemer of the oppressed and down-trodden?

I'm so glad that I was raised better than that.
You were? Too bad other values of life weren't instilled in you.

BTW, back on topic; since this is a weather thread and you screwed it over, how is the weather there?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I'm with Seth on this one. "Spook" means "ghost", or alternatively, "spy." It's a COMMON word for those meanings, by far common enough that no-one will mistake it for a regional offensive meaning unless they're deliberately trying to manufacture outrage.

It's the root word for "spooky", "spooked" and others, none of which have even obscure offensive connotations. Both common meanings, "ghost" and "spy", make it a good name for a dog or cat.

As O Really pointed out, "A fun list to compile would be things you can't buy or use because somebody somewhere has used the term disparagingly." Even in South Africa, with institutionalized racism against blacks until just recently, its slang meaning is "any pale or colourless alcoholic spirit."

If a common, inoffensive word one day gains a regional usage as an offensive word, that doesn't mean that you stop using it for its standard usage. Otherwise you're just encouraging people to turn already common words into offensive ones as South Park and Stephan Colbert have had mixed success in doing. ("Santorum", etc.)

O Really
Admiral

Not that anybody crawling through snowbanks cares, but rainfall in south Florida has been 12.25 inches so far in January. Average for January is just under 2 inches. Average for July, the peak of "rainy" season is 10 inches. Glub, glub, glub. But at least it's not frozen.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:I'm with Seth on this one. "Spook" means "ghost", or alternatively, "spy." It's a COMMON word for those meanings, by far common enough that no-one will mistake it for a regional offensive meaning unless they're deliberately trying to "manufacture outrage".
Thanks. Vrede too knows that, and it's obvious he's deliberately trying to manufacture outrage. Doesn't bother me. (or ol' Spook)
I'm well aware that Vrede too is just baiting in order to get a rise out of me, and he was hoping that his peers here would side with him and join in the affray . . . but it didn't work. :lol: Sorry Vrede too; and oh, if you wish to be properly offended, Spook said for to tell you: :oII

:lol: (atta boy, Spook!)