War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Women

Unread post by Vrede too »

I got an email from UltraViolet Action about the Violence Against Women Act with:
Subject: Rep. Meadows can do the right thing
It's a very serious subject, but I'm glad that they haven't lost their sense of humor about my Rep.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Asheville Archives: Lillian Exum Clement takes her seat in the House, 1921

All interesting to me, but a few things stood out:
... Ironically, at the time of Clark’s letter, the 19th Amendment, which granted women the right to vote, had yet to obtain the necessary approval by three-fourths of the states. Despite the uncertainty of its future ratification, Clark assured Clement that he found no language in the North Carolina Constitution that barred women from holding office.
Well, that was a lapse. ;)
In his letter, filled with encouragement and historical perspective, Clark added:
“Napolean’s power was largely based upon his assertion of the republican doctrine ‘An avenue open to merit without distinction of birth.’ It is equally necessary that we should assert the doctrine of ‘An avenue to merit, without distinction to sex.’ ..."
On April 15, 1920, shortly after receiving Clark’s letter, Clement accepted the Democratic nomination. Four months later, Tennessee became the 36th and final state needed to ratify the 19th Amendment, granting all women the right to vote. (North Carolina would not formally ratify its state constitution until 1971.)
Cool that she beat the 19th by four months.
Congrats, neoplacebo!
"1971"???!!!
Clement proved victorious on election night....
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
... In a Jan. 11, 1921, letter that Clement wrote to her then-fiance, E. Eller Stafford, the newly elected representative declared: “I don’t want people to expect too much of me. There is little I can do alone. If I blaze the trail for other women to come in, until there is enough to do something, then I feel I have done my duty.”
Yep, a direct line from Clement and her sisters to Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman. :D

"1971"???!!!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

New Canadian parents can take 5 extra weeks of shared parental leave starting tomorrow

http://www.victoriabuzz.com/2019/03/new ... -tomorrow/

Maybe the Trump administration will do something like this - if pigs fly into a frozen hell of me voting Republican.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Meanwhile, Stormy Daniels tours the country headlining strip clubs "I had sex with the President". If only Marilyn Monroe wore a g-string for an audience back in the day. "Happy Birthday Mr. President - Tour"

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:17 pm
Meanwhile, Stormy Daniels tours the country headlining strip clubs "I had sex with the President". If only Marilyn Monroe wore a g-string for an audience back in the day. "Happy Birthday Mr. President - Tour"
Bullshit. I won't be impressed until some bimbo, or several of them, come out and say they've been getting it on with Jimmy Carter. And they paid him. Bitch.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

They say Jimmy had a bound with peanut butter. :lol:

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

1 CAT FAN wrote:
    Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am
    They say Jimmy had a bound with peanut butter. :lol:
    Jimmy Carter is still alive. Did something happen to their "bound"?
    1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
    Ensign

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Look close enough, all the former Presidents have skeletons in the closet.
      Even the Politicians that failed to become the President have skeletons...

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

NC abortion law is unconstitutional, federal court rules

District Judge William Osteen is a Shrub appointee.

:---P
        1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

Hollywood's elite threatens Georgia boycott over abortion ban as other states try to poach business
        Petition to major movie and TV studios:

"Stop making movies and television shows in Georgia if a misogynistic, anti-woman abortion ban is on the books."
        1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
        Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 am
        Trump Administration Rule Allowing Employers To Deny Free Birth Control Blocked By Federal Judge
        I sure didn't expect to see North Carolina included.

Contact NCDOJ
        Me: "Thank you!!!"
        Josh Stein

Joshua Stein (born September 13, 1966) is an American attorney and politician who serves as the 50th and current Attorney General of North Carolina. He took office at noon on January 1, 2017....

Following the March 15th (2016) Democratic Primary, Stein resigned from his seat in the North Carolina State Senate to focus on the race for Attorney General, which he would go on to win 50.3% to 49.7%.
        Thaaaat close.
        Thank you for contacting me regarding contraceptive coverage in the Affordable Care Act. I appreciate you taking the time to write to my office.

A woman’s access to contraceptive care – and decision whether and when to use it – is a decision best made by the woman and her health care provider. Almost 2 million women in North Carolina have benefited from the Affordable Care Act's contraceptive coverage requirement. More than 70 percent of North Carolina women aged 18-49 use contraception, including nearly 80 percent who are at risk of unintended pregnancy. In 2010, public costs for unintended pregnancies in North Carolina were $858.3 million.

As Attorney General of North Carolina, I believe that women, not their employers, should make their own birth control decisions. The Trump administration has sought to limit women's access to contraception through rules that would allow any employer or health insurer with religious objections to opt out of the Affordable Care Act's contraceptive coverage requirement. These new rules are illegal, as they violate the Administrative Procedure Act, the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fifth Amendment. My office's action against the new rules comes after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld a preliminary injunction against the Trump administration's interim final rules in 2018.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Hearing from people across the state helps me ensure that I am serving them to the best of my ability. Please continue to keep in touch on matters of concern.

Sincerely,

Josh Stein
        Attorney General of North Carolina
        1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

NC Gov. Cooper vetoes abortion legislation

... Cooper’s veto message echoed some comments of abortion-rights supporters opposed to the “born-alive” measure. They also said in committees and floor debate that the legislation was designed to intimidate women and physicians and ultimately chip away at the constitutionally-protected right to an abortion.

“Laws already protect newborn babies and this bill is an unnecessary interference between doctors and their patients,” Cooper wrote. “This needless legislation would criminalize doctors and other health care providers for a practice that simply does not exist.”

It’s unclear if Republicans holding House and Senate majorities can override Cooper’s veto - his first since Democrats made enough seat gains in November to eliminate the GOP’s veto-proof control.

Two Senate Democrats and four House Democrats joined all Republicans in voting for the measure earlier this week. Bill supporters likely would need another few House Democrats to join them to complete an override of the veto....

North Carolina Republicans have passed abortion restrictions this decade. But a North Carolina law adjusted in 2015 to limit abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy to only those during a medical emergency was struck down recently by a federal judge. The decision’s enforcement has been delayed for now.

Cooper vetoed 28 bills in his first two years in office — more than any governor in a four-year term. Republicans overrode 23 of them.
        :thumbup:
        Dear Sen. Edwards, Rep. McGrady,

Re: NC Gov. Cooper vetoes abortion legislation
        https://www.fayobserver.com/news/201904 ... egislation

Reject Big Brother and misogyny, sustain Gov. Cooper's veto.

cc: Gov. Cooper

Sincerely,
        (Vrede too)
        1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

Not sure how and whether to reply to this reply to me. Thoughts? Any ideas welcome.
        Red = my additions to a form email, I had no choice about placement.
        Dear Rep. McGrady

As your constituent, I urge you to vote to sustain Governor Cooper’s veto of S.B. 359. This bill is not based in medical science or fact and would create confusion among both patients and physicians about the options available during complex or emergency medical situations. It demonizes and criminalizes doctors, stigmatizes reproductive health care, and seeks to intimidate physicians in order to prevent them from providing the abortion care their patients expect and need.

No misogyny, keep your Big Brother out of women's wombs.

We all want families to have access to the best medical care available. Health care providers work every day to ensure people have access to safe, compassionate, high quality health care based on science, not political ideology. Abortion providers are already required to comply with existing laws and are held to the highest standards of care, just like other medical professionals.

The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists strongly opposes the almost identical federal bill and has called it a “gross interference in the practice of medicine.”

I await your reply.

This one-size-fits all legislated standard of care not only interferes with medical practice but denies physicians the ability to provide the care that is necessary, compassionate, and appropriate under the circumstances.

Governor Cooper was right to veto this extreme and dangerous attack on reproductive freedom. I urge you to vote to sustain his veto.

Sincerely,
        (Vrede too)
        RE: Sustain the veto on S.B. 359
        Date: Today, 12:36:21 PM CDT

Chuck: I'm not excited about this bill and wonder whether it is necessary. Seems like it is just about politics. However, I am a "representative" and my clear sense is that my constituents are supportive of the bill that Governor Cooper vetoed. Therefore, I am going to vote to override the veto.
        This district sucks. I've made my opinion on the bill clear. The question is whether to write him about his decision making process.
        1312. ETTD.

O Really
        Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"Representatives" have two roles: to represent, yes, but also to lead and to act in the best interest of the society in which they live, which may or may not be exactly what their little corner of the world wants. If his "constituency" supported a bill that was blatantly unconstitutional (which actually, they may), would he vote for that too? What do we (you) need him for?

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
        Thu May 02, 2019 9:42 pm
        "Representatives" have two roles: to represent, yes, but also to lead and to act in the best interest of the society in which they live, which may or may not be exactly what their little corner of the world wants. If his "constituency" supported a bill that was blatantly unconstitutional (which actually, they may), would he vote for that too? What do we (you) need him for?
        As it turns out, he and the Repugs have passed lots of unconstitutional stuff. I grief him every time another one gets shot down.
        1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
        Thu May 02, 2019 9:42 pm
        Thanks.
        Dear Rep. McGrady,

You know how I feel about the misogyny of inserting Big Brother into women's wombs, so I won’t belabor the point. However, I asked some friends for advice on how and whether to comment on your decision making process.

One wrote:
        “’Representatives’ have two roles: to represent, yes, but also to lead and to act in the best interest of the society in which they live, which may or may not be exactly what their little corner of the world wants. If his ‘constituency’ supported a bill that was blatantly unconstitutional (which actually, they may), would he vote for that too? What do we (you) need him for?”

It is true that you and the GOP have passed lots of unconstitutional stuff. I hope the veto is sustained and I don’t have reason to grief you again.

Sincerely,
        (Vrede too)
        1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
        Ensign

Taken away too soon, brilliant musician