Outer space thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Outer space thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm
I read a story today that says a football field sized asteroid or otherwise classified space rock has a chance of hitting the Earth in the next few days. I hope this close proximity of Jupiter doesn't up our chances.....I've got plans.
I've heard that Jupiter is largely our protector from asteroids and comets, maybe to the extent of no life here without it.
The asteroid supposedly the size of a football field that has people freaking out? Don't sweat it

... First of all, it's probably not as big as you think it is. The object is roughly 40 meters in diameter, according to the ESA. A football field is 48.5 meters wide and 109 meters long....
Whew.
ESA says for this particular asteroid, there's a 1 in 7,299 chance of it hitting us. You're more likely to die from excessive cold, which has a 1 in 6,045 chance of happening.
What were the 2014 odds of Trump being P*OTUS?
By comparison, the threshold for action by space agencies is if an asteroid is determined to have a 1 in 100 chance of impact with the Earth -- an order of magnitude different....
What "action"?

Just to be safe, don't make plans for:
2006QV89 is currently 4.2 million miles away from us. If the asteroid does hit Earth, it wouldn't be until September 9, 2019, at 7:03 a.m., ESA says.

Space agencies have been prepping for the worst

NASA, FEMA and other international groups including ESA have been training for what to do if an asteroid ever does hit the planet we call home. They regularly hold near-Earth object impact exercises....
"exercises" like?:

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

That was the same sign used back when little kids got under their desks in drills to protect from "the bomb."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm
That was the same sign used back when little kids got under their desks in drills to protect from "the bomb."
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I remember seeing those yellow and black Civil Defense signs when I was a kid; in the sense that the signs denoted a place that was supposedly safe in the event of an attack. Looking back on it now, those places would have been blasted to dust in an attack; they would just have been places where a lot of people died. I advise anyone to stay home and boogie in the event of a nuclear attack. Fuck those signs; they're bullshit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How a Bitter Divorce Battle on Earth Led to Claims of a Crime in Space

Probably not the first space crime, but the first accusation.

Thug.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Declassified CIA Documents Show They "Saw" Ancient Civilization On Mars | iHeartRadio

http://flip.it/Q_dl.2

Remote viewing is safer and cheaper.
It's a win/win
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Arrrgh! Tonight alpha Monocerotid is expected to have and intense outburst of meteors, maybe 400 to 1,000 meteors per hour in some areas. And we're out in the middle of the Mojave desert with a nice dark view. A nice dark view of a fucking cloud cover in the direction of the meteors! They're pretty low on the horizon out here - if they were higher they'd be up where the sky is gorgeously clear. But noooooo! :x

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.space.com/nasa-tess-exoplan ... stone.html

"but the third orbits in the magic ring scientists call the habitable zone, where temperatures allow water to remain liquid on a planet's surface. "It's actually farther into the habitable zone than Earth; Earth itself is barely habitable," Gilbert said.

They are also confident, although not positive, that this planet is tidally locked — the same side always faces its star in a constant day, while the other side is in constant night."

The article only mentions the extremes- day and night, but there would be twilight zones. Anyway, that's where people lived in science fiction books and that's better info than believing the internet or the president.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

US Navy says it has a lot of video of this UFO from a while back but they won't let anybody see it. The published part of the previous revelation said the thing went from 60,000 feet to 50 feet in seconds.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/navy-ufo ... 26606.html

Sounds like whoever is piloting this thing was likely an attention seeking whore and possibly a wise cunt.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Pretty cool. I had not seen slow opening parachutes in operation (T+6min).

https://youtu.be/mhrkdHshb3E

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Pretty cool. I had not seen slow opening parachutes in operation (T+6min).

https://youtu.be/mhrkdHshb3E
Cool. Multi-angles, short video:

Simulated chute failure, SpaceX Mk.3 parachute Test

I can watch that over and over.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm
On faraway planet, it's cloudy with a chance of liquid iron rain

:shock: That'll mess with your umbrella.
One should not wear a magnetic hat in that event.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Virgin Galactic completes first glide flight in New Mexico (Update)

... The company announced the flight on social media and shared photos of the craft on the runaway and members of the crew stationed far apart around the special carrier plane that ferries the smaller spaceship to high altitude.

... The company has not set a date for the first commercial flights but has said it anticipates doing so in 2020....

... More than 600 customers from around the world have put down firm deposits for flights, and Virgin Galactic has received about 8,000 online reservations of interest since the successful test flight into space in December 2018.

Company officials expect that interest to surpass the company’s capacity for flights for the next few years.

The initial seats were sold at 250,000 dollars apiece. Those who want to register interest online are paying a fully refundable deposit of 1,000 dollars.
Good on Richard Branson, etc. I wish Elon Musk success, too, but I'm finding that I don't like him very much.

I think Virgin Galactic's "special carrier plane" is pretty cool, too:

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:16 am
Virgin Galactic completes first glide flight in New Mexico (Update)

... The company announced the flight on social media and shared photos of the craft on the runaway and members of the crew stationed far apart around the special carrier plane that ferries the smaller spaceship to high altitude.

... The company has not set a date for the first commercial flights but has said it anticipates doing so in 2020....

... More than 600 customers from around the world have put down firm deposits for flights, and Virgin Galactic has received about 8,000 online reservations of interest since the successful test flight into space in December 2018.

Company officials expect that interest to surpass the company’s capacity for flights for the next few years.

The initial seats were sold at 250,000 dollars apiece. Those who want to register interest online are paying a fully refundable deposit of 1,000 dollars.
Good on Richard Branson, etc. I wish Elon Musk success, too, but I'm finding that I don't like him very much.

I think Virgin Galactic's "special carrier plane" is pretty cool, too:

Branson want stimulus money

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:21 am
I've seen some forum comments about that, thanks. I very well might oppose it.

Is it for Virgin Galactic or for his other companies, and if the latter do you know how much corporate separation there is with Virgin Galactic?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:29 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:21 am
I've seen some forum comments about that, thanks. I very well might oppose it.

Is it for Virgin Galactic or for his other companies, and if the latter do you know how much corporate separation there is with Virgin Galactic?
I only skimmed an article - enough so to think about rich people who brag and beg as the occasion merits them

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, especially if you''re set to ride a piece of their equipment tomorrow afternoon. Even if it is "substantially different."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... nasa-s-sdo

10 year time lapse of the Sun

"This 10-year time lapse showcases photos taken at a wavelength of 17.1 nanometers, which is an extreme ultraviolet wavelength that shows the Sun’s outermost atmospheric layer – the corona. Compiling one photo every hour, the movie condenses a decade of the Sun into 61 minutes. The video shows the rise and fall in activity that occurs as part of the Sun’s 11-year solar cycle and notable events, like transiting planets and eruptions. The custom music, titled “Solar Observer,” was composed by musician Lars Leonhard."

Lars may be available for your next event