Outer space thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Outer space thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:02 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:58 pm

:-|| :-|| Some people really really really win the genetic lottery.
She's just pretending to be smart. :D
:thumbup: Yeah, and you should see her without makeup.

The 1970s have opinions about our presidential race:
NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft is talking nonsense. Its friends on Earth are worried

... "I am the most surprised person in the world," says Krimigis — after all, the spacecraft's original mission to Jupiter and Saturn was only supposed to last about four years.

These days, though, he's also feeling another emotion when he thinks of Voyager 1.

"Frankly, I'm very worried," he says.

Ever since mid-November, the Voyager 1 spacecraft has been sending messages back to Earth that don't make any sense. It's as if the aging spacecraft has suffered some kind of stroke that's interfering with its ability to speak.

"It basically stopped talking to us in a coherent manner," says Suzanne Dodd of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, who has been the project manager for the Voyager interstellar mission since 2010. "It's a serious problem." ...
Very crafty commentary, ol' Voyager 1. Bravo.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

We had an almost total eclipse here in 2017, unlike Donald I viewed it through Glasses and it was way cool.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I remember the 2017 eclipse, but didn't try to view it directly. I've never understood the "cereal box" viewer, though. You're not seeing the eclipse live, you're seeing a shadow. And with all the excellent photos available, why would you care about the shadow? Whatever.

I did see a spectacular full lunar eclipse while spending the evening at the Lorelei in Islamorada. Definitely a cool experience
https://www.loreleicabanabar.com/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:18 am
I remember the 2017 eclipse, but didn't try to view it directly. I've never understood the "cereal box" viewer, though. You're not seeing the eclipse live, you're seeing a shadow. And with all the excellent photos available, why would you care about the shadow? Whatever.

I did see a spectacular full lunar eclipse while spending the evening at the Lorelei in Islamorada. Definitely a cool experience
https://www.loreleicabanabar.com/
I like using the glasses until totality, but never liked the shadow "viewers", either :yawn:

ISS bombs Florida, wrecks house, almost strikes Florida Man:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... orida-home

... Ars Technica said it could be a complicated issue to resolve because the exact origin of the chunk has not yet been determined. It said the batteries were owned by Nasa but attached to a pallet structure launched by the Japanese space agency, Jaxa....
:roll: Figures.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:07 pm
.. Ars Technica said it could be a complicated issue to resolve because the exact origin of the chunk has not yet been determined. It said the batteries were owned by Nasa but attached to a pallet structure launched by the Japanese space agency, Jaxa....
Sue everyone.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:07 pm
.. Ars Technica said it could be a complicated issue to resolve because the exact origin of the chunk has not yet been determined. It said the batteries were owned by Nasa but attached to a pallet structure launched by the Japanese space agency, Jaxa....
Sue everyone.
:thumbup: NASA should immediately step up, then seek reimbursement from others if warranted.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

To:
POTUS
NASA
US Senator Tillis
US Senator Budd
US Rep Edwards

Re:
A NASA telescope unlocked the mysteries of black holes. Now it's on the chopping block.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-telesco ... 52228.html

Telescopic space exploration is among the best things that humanity does. Please fully fund the Chandra X-ray Observatory.

Thank you.
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

What's the point of half funding it?🙄

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:25 pm
What's the point of half funding it? 🙄
-0-?
Thank you for taking the time to contact me about funding for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). I appreciate hearing from you.

I support a robust research and development agenda guided by the most promising science, technology, and potential for progress. I agree with you that many of NASA’s programs are vital, and I would support increased funding for the high-priority programs at NASA while reducing that for lower priority programs and cracking down on waste and mismanagement. Please know that as the appropriations process unfolds, I will keep your support for NASA in mind....

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis
U.S. Senator
No direct mention of the Chandra X-ray Observatory or specifics on "waste and mismanagement" :roll: , but better than nothing.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 pm

No direct mention of the Chandra X-ray Observatory or specifics on "waste and mismanagement" :roll: , but better than nothing.
Has anyone at anytime ever received a reply from a politician that directly answered a question or was remotely satisfying?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 pm
Has anyone at anytime ever received a reply from a politician that directly answered a question or was remotely satisfying?
I once got called by a US Senator who disagreed with my opposition to selling weapons to Marcos' Philippines. He had a soft spot for Filipinos. We didn't see eye-to-eye, but had a decent chat. Later revelations about the Marcos dictatorship proved me correct.

Sometimes, the stock reply is a direct rejection of my perspective, but your point is mostly apt.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm

I once got called by a US Senator who disagreed with my opposition to selling weapons to Marcos' Philippines. He had a soft spot for Filipinos. We didn't see eye-to-eye, but had a decent chat. Later revelations about the Marcos dictatorship proved me correct.

I might've voted for him just for that.