President* Trump

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: President* Trump

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whatever side of the debate one is on, President* Trump's involvement is clearly a violation of the spirit if not also the letter of the 1st Amendment. He and his ovine Trumpettes are the ones that really hate America.
JTA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:24 am
Donald Trump, at his rally in Alabama, called those who take a knee during the national anthem "Son's of bitches".

Like the white supremacists "protesting" the removal of Confederate statures, I'd like to see if this will have the opposite effect and instead cause more NFL players to take a knee....
To: NFL Players, Fans, Coaches and Personnel
#TakeAKnee

We’re asking anyone at an NFL game this weekend to take a knee --not only in solidarity with countless athlete-activists’ right to protest; but in defiance of Donald Trump’s ruthless targeting of Black athletes and journalists. For those not on the field, we ask you to support and continue the conversations on the importance of free speech on social media (#takeaknee) and in real life.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

People get so riled up about NFL players taking a knee. What does forcing someone to stand prove?

I always feel kind of weird when the national anthem comes on at baseball games. I'll stand, but I usually don't do the hand over my heart thing.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Trump on the Charlottesville protests: "There are bad people on both sides. What about the alt-left?"
Trump on NFL players kneeling for the national anthem: "Sons of bitches!"

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The pattern that's (been) emerging with people on the right, concerning protesting (in any form, such as taking a knee for the national anthem) has been along the lines of "You should be thankful for what you have, protesting shows you are ungrateful. What about the soldiers who died or became disabled for you?". Also, "why don't you do something like join a school board or donate time and money". This is true and I agree to a certain extent, but my reply would be "Why not both?"

Protesting serves a purpose, and I think Vrede and I may have had a conversation about this in the past, in that it draws attention to the issue at hand.

Any time you challenge the status quo, or question the status quo, you can effect change since this at least draws attention to an issue at hand and gives it the issue the spot light. Especially if you're a high profile person such as an NFL player. Taking a knee during the national anthem challenges the status quo of standing and placing your hand over your heart, draws attention to the person doing it, and momentarily gives them the spotlight to bring attention to an issue.

Why is that hard to grasp? And why is it a problem if it's completely non-violent, doesn't cause any harm to anybody or anybody's property, and is still showing "respect" for the flag, since kneeling is a sign of respect as well?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As a black avatar ;) you know better than I do that a lot of the screeching is because it's blacks that are demanding equality and justice. They never object when lily white TPers and Trumpettes or anti-choice misogynists demonstrate.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:24 am
Donald Trump, at his rally in Alabama, called those who take a knee during the national anthem "Son's of bitches".

Like the white supremacists "protesting" the removal of Confederate statures, I'd like to see if this will have the opposite effect and instead cause more NFL players to take a knee....
(Steelers coach) Mike Tomlin: “We’re not participating in the anthem today”

Bruce Maxwell first MLB player to kneel during National Anthem

(NFL Commissioner) Goodell calls Trump comments divisive, disrespectful

(Republican Texans owner) Bob McNair: Comments from President were “divisive and counterproductive”

(Golden State) Warriors respond to Trump, say trip to D.C. will “celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion”

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=79374#p79374
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:54 am
Trump has made all things normal

"The Traditionalist Worker Party is a white rights advocacy group that is anti-capitalist, anti-semitic and anti-diversity. The group’s ultimate goal is the creation of an all-white ethno-state that people of other races would need a visa to visit."

Done right, this could be a good idea. Great way to clean up the rest of the country and watch them fail all by their little selves, but the visa thing has to go both ways....
Their sports teams will be featured on the Comedy Channel.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 am
Trump on NFL players kneeling for the national anthem: "Sons of bitches!"
‘My country, right or wrong,’ is a thing that no patriot would think of saying. It is like saying, ‘My mother, drunk or sober.’
- G. K. Chesterton, 1901

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Jaguars Owner Locks Arms With Players After Trump Protests

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan joined dozens of football players in a silent demonstration during the national anthem in London on Sunday.

Khan, who donated $1 million to President Trump’s inauguration committee, linked arms with his players Marcedes Lewis and Telvin Smith at Wembley Stadium as an estimated 27 others took a knee on the field.
Jacksonville Jaguars‏ Verified account
@Jaguars

Unity

... “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, you’d say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired,’” Trump said during a rally on Friday in Alabama....

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti also expressed his support for his players on Sunday.

“We recognize our players’ influence. We respect their demonstration and support them 100 percent. All voices need to be heard. That’s democracy in its highest form,” he said in a statement posted to Twitter....
Opps.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

The comments on wingnut sites are all about disrespect. Even saw one comment preaching, "If not for slavery, you wouldn't be where you are today." Not a single comment acknowledges any racial disparity in the US.

The left wing comments support the kneeling, and the motivation for it.

Never mind NK, hurricane victims, health care, etc. Damn, I'd like to kick Trump's ass.
Or put him under oath in front of Judge Judy.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

At least 3 NFL teams stayed in the locker room, a bunch did the linked arms thing, many others sat or knelt. President* Trump is the Unifier in Chief.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Trump is having a conniption fit on twitter. It's bad, even by Trump standards. Probably because he was directly responsible for more NFL players kneeling.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Conservatives: "NFL players refusing to stand for the national anthem!? What is becoming of our country!?"

As our infrastructure crumbles, congress's tries to vote to remove healthcare from tens of millions, and troubling evidence keeps leaking of the ineptitide and possible collusion with a foreign entity by the Trump administration.

Symbols > reality. Every time.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

97-year-old WWII vet goes viral after 'taking a knee' to support NFL players

My grandpa is a 97 year-old WWII vet & Missouri farmer who wanted to join w/ those who #TakeaKnee: "those kids have every right to protest."

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 am
97-year-old WWII vet goes viral after 'taking a knee' to support NFL players

My grandpa is a 97 year-old WWII vet & Missouri farmer who wanted to join w/ those who #TakeaKnee: "those kids have every right to protest."

"kids"

Bet he's a great grandpa.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 am
Conservatives: "NFL players refusing to stand for the national anthem!? What is becoming of our country!?"

As our infrastructure crumbles, congress's tries to vote to remove healthcare from tens of millions, and troubling evidence keeps leaking of the ineptitide and possible collusion with a foreign entity by the Trump administration.

Symbols > reality. Every time.
Right on. Only dumb ideas won't fit on a bumper sticker.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:11 am
... dumb ideas won't fit on a bumper sticker.

:D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Latest Trump Tweet:

RT @jayMAGA45: NFLplayer PatTillman joined U.S. Army in 2002. He was killed in action 2004. He fought 4our country/freedom. #StandForOurAnt…

(Liked by 0 idiots.)
So much irony:

Chickenhawk President* Trump cowered from fighting "4our country/freedom."
"PatTillman" was white.
"PatTillman" was killed by friendly fire.
The Pentagon tried to cover up the fact that "PatTillman" was killed by friendly fire.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Because he was against the endless imperial repug wars he had joined for actual patriotic reasons

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The dude who...

- Dodged the draft a bunch of times.
- Said fucking women and trying to avoid STDs while men were off fighting was his own "personal Vietnam".
- Insulted American POWs by saying he prefers soldiers that don't get captured.
- Belittled a slain soldier's gold star family.

Is pissed off that NFL players are kneeling and showing disrespect to our flag and our veterans.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Good post on respecting the flag by old friend CrockHunter aka Fiddler here

http://www.libertynewsforum.com/cgi-bin ... 1506348195