Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:50 pm
"Man shot in gunfight by jail out of hospital"

If the jail had been a better shot I guess the man would be dead.
It would've been but it just got out of the hospital.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

You have to wonder what these writers' first language was. Apparently not English.

Which reminds me - how does anyone ever learn to say "he had went..."

And the only way anybody could think vehicle was pronounced vee-hickle is if they had never heard it pronounced but only seen the word in print.

Maybe the dark state snuck vaccines to prevent education into the baby shots.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:55 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:50 pm
"Man shot in gunfight by jail out of hospital"

If the jail had been a better shot I guess the man would be dead.
It would've been but it just got out of the hospital.
:laughing-rolling:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:59 pm
You have to wonder what these writers' first language was. Apparently not English.

Which reminds me - how does anyone ever learn to say "he had went..."

And the only way anybody could think vehicle was pronounced vee-hickle is if they had never heard it pronounced but only seen the word in print.

Maybe the dark state snuck vaccines to prevent education into the baby shots.
Hell, I've encountered people just like that back in the late sixties and early seventies when I was doing my initial exploratory work...along with others. But it generally went like "he up and went" or even "he gone and went" or "he done gone and went". I think it was mostly due to a cornbread and hard coder regimen but we never hung around long enough to figure it out. When they start asking if you're a boy or a gurl is when you know you're in trouble. This happened once; it was not pleasant.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:15 pm
Hell, I've encountered people just like that back in the late sixties and early seventies when I was doing my initial exploratory work...along with others. But it generally went like "he up and went" or even "he gone and went" or "he done gone and went". I think it was mostly due to a cornbread and hard coder regimen but we never hung around long enough to figure it out. When they start asking if you're a boy or a gurl is when you know you're in trouble. This happened once; it was not pleasant.
"cornbread and hard coder"? Like Whack9? :P
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:28 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
:lol: I don't remember whack9 talking about cornbread. Or buttermilk for that matter. I almost bought cornbread the other day but it was more than five dollars....I thought I was being baited, possibly watched, and didn't buy it. I might get that cornbread mix and make some but I doubt it. That shit might be some sort of toxic waste sulfate something or other. I like that sweet cornbread with real butter.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
:lol: I don't remember whack9 talking about cornbread. Or buttermilk for that matter. I almost bought cornbread the other day but it was more than five dollars....I thought I was being baited, possibly watched, and didn't buy it. I might get that cornbread mix and make some but I doubt it. That shit might be some sort of toxic waste sulfate something or other. I like that sweet cornbread with real butter.
That "mix" crap is 75% flour. Not good.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim has a recipe.

Plane diverted from Atlanta to Seattle after fake bomb threat

No plane has been "diverted from Atlanta to Seattle", ever. In reality:
An Alaska Airlines flight from Atlanta to Seattle was diverted to Spokane International Airport after a passenger wrote a threat that he had a bomb on board.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
. I might get that cornbread mix and make some but I doubt it. That shit might be some sort of toxic waste sulfate something or other. I like that sweet cornbread with real butter.
Get some Quaker Corn Meal (yellow). Follow a recipe on the back, or something like this one: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17891 ... cornbread/

It's about the same effort to make from scratch as to use a mix and it's generally much better, although the Jiffy brand mix isn't bad.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:31 pm

An Alaska Airlines flight from Atlanta to Seattle was diverted to Spokane International Airport after a passenger wrote a threat that he had a bomb on board.
"Take me to Spokane" no hijacker has said ever.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim has a recipe.

Plane diverted from Atlanta to Seattle after fake bomb threat

O Really disparaged my kitchen sink recipe. To my sensibilities, it can't be beat, but if you are looking for real cornbread, buy plain cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, oil or lard, salt and milk or buttermilk.
If it's called mix, it's 3/4s flour. How can flourbread be called cornbread?

O Really
Admiral

I don't recall disparaging your recipe, but if I did I'm sure it was in good humour.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:56 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
. I might get that cornbread mix and make some but I doubt it. That shit might be some sort of toxic waste sulfate something or other. I like that sweet cornbread with real butter.
Get some Quaker Corn Meal (yellow). Follow a recipe on the back, or something like this one: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17891 ... cornbread/

It's about the same effort to make from scratch as to use a mix and it's generally much better, although the Jiffy brand mix isn't bad.
Thanks. I'll try it out.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:00 pm
Vrede too wrote:

"Take me to Spokane" no hijacker has said ever.
I bet you could disguise a bomb as cornbread.....

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Crappy headlines thread

Barack Obama, Michelle Obama Score Separate Emmy Nominations. But Will They Compete Head To Head?

Paragraph 3:
... Helping to keep the peace in the Obama household, the former president and first lady won’t be going head to head for Emmys.
Given the categories they were nominated in there never was a chance they would "Compete Head To Head". Clickbait. :x
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Cherokee County (GA)
Drug traffickers sentenced for distributing nearly 2 kilos of meth during I-75 traffic stop

Multi-taskers, but it's probably better to wait until the cops are done ticketing.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Missing 3-year-old Greene County boy found playing in his backyard

That would be funny if it were true, and that's the reason I clicked. In reality, he left his backyard, was gone for hours, traveled a long distance, and was found safe and sound in a farm field, not anyone's "backyard" :wtf: . Is WHIO-TV (Dayton, Ohio) using cut rate AI to write its headlines?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"'Do not release the dog with his hands up!': Black man mauled by police canine following Ohio pursuit"

Clumsy writing? Maybe not. Apparently that's a direct quote from one of the cops to the dog guy.

Here's the sloppy writing: "...attempted to stop 23-year-old Jadarrius Rose who was driving a semi-tractor trailer because it "was missing a left rear mud flap," according to an incident report."

I guess he wouldn't have driven it if it hadn't been missing the mud flap, eh?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/not-release- ... 59398.html

O Really
Admiral

Not so much a "dumb" headline as an outrageous click-bait, but:

"Try Not To Choke When You See Adam Schiff's Lover
Adam Schiff: You Will Never Guess Who he Is In A Relationship With"
Spoiler:
Eve Schiff, his wife of over 25 years :roll: