Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Content issue rather than a headline problem:
US conducts defensive airstrikes as Houthis fire anti-ship ballistic missiles

The United States has conducted six defense strikes and fired 18 anti-ship missiles in Yemen after the Houthis fired two anti-ship ballistic missiles into the Red Sea, according to the United States Central Command.
:headscratch: Why would the US fire anti-ship missiles at the Houthis? They don't have any ships worth the expense. This was in the teaser and is the main reason I clicked.
The Iranian-backed Houthis fired two anti-ship ballistic missiles from Houthi-controlled areas into the Red Sea toward merchant vessel Pinocchio, a Singaporean-owned, Liberian-flagged ship, between 8:50 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. local time on Monday, according to CENTCOM.

“The missiles did not impact the vessel and there were no injuries or damage reported,” CENTCOM said.

In retaliation to the initial strikes,
What "initial strikes"? The Houthis missed.
“United States Central Command conducted six self-defense strikes destroying an unmanned underwater vessel and 18 anti-ship missiles in Houthi controlled areas of Yemen” between 2:50 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. shortly after the initial strikes, CENTCOM said detailing their operation....
Aha, the US destroyed 18 anti-ship missiles, it didn't fire them. Sloppy sloppy.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Skydiver dies at Florida airport for second time in 2 years

:lol: Okay, it's a tragedy, but I sincerely thought it was the same skydiver after resuscitation the first time. I guess it's really two tragedies :doh: :oops:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dan Rather ‘Vehemently’ Denounces Trump as President for One ‘Simple’ Reason

... “A few people have asked why I vehemently oppose Trump,” Rather wrote on X (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday. “Let me make this perfectly clear. It’s not about politics. I’ve voted for both parties.”

“It’s about me, as a patriot, rejecting a cheating, lying, racist, treasonous, fascist and vile man who attacks the free press, and wants to lead the country I love,” he continued. “It’s really that simple.”...
Including patriotism that's eight reasons, and Rather never says "One".
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Because walking into a rotating propeller isn't enough?

US air force finds two causes in death of contractor who walked into propeller
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:23 pm
Because walking into a rotating propeller isn't enough?

US air force finds two causes in death of contractor who walked into propeller
:o :thumbup: They heard you and changed it to:
US air force finds contractor who walked into propeller had become disorientated

Content, not headline:
infestation. I hate it when local authorities do that.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"Twins named Valedictorian and Salutatorian at Godby High School"

Sure, it's actually an acceptable way to express it, but it took a double-take not to think of the teasing that "Valedictorian and Salutatorian Smith" would have taken growing up.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twins-named- ... 06555.html

O Really
Admiral

"Taylor Swift Was Photographed Kissing Travis Kelce In A Yellow Bikini On Vacation"

Ummm, OK. Now how do I unsee that?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 pm
"Taylor Swift Was Photographed Kissing Travis Kelce In A Yellow Bikini On Vacation"

Ummm, OK. Now how do I unsee that?
Thank you so much for sharing the imagery :problem:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I know the NY Post is a trash tabloid that likes to drag the Clintons into anything they can, but this is way past ridiculous:

"Teacher, 26, charged with sexually abusing 15-year-old boy she met at church long attended by Bill Clinton"

Sure, Bill Clinton attended that church in Little Rock 30-something years ago as governor of Arkansas - well before either of the people involved in this world-shaking event were born.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:19 am
I know the NY Post is a trash tabloid that likes to drag the Clintons into anything they can, but this is way past ridiculous:

"Teacher, 26, charged with sexually abusing 15-year-old boy she met at church long attended by Bill Clinton"

Sure, Bill Clinton attended that church in Little Rock 30-something years ago as governor of Arkansas - well before either of the people involved in this world-shaking event were born.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/29/us-news/t ... ld-church/
... Reagan Gray, 26, was nabbed earlier this month after it emerged she had allegedly been assaulting the boy since 2020 when she was working as a volunteer at the Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock, THV11 reported of the institution Clinton praised as being pivotal in preparing him for the White House.

The boy’s parents discovered a slew of text messages on their son’s phone at the time and reported Gray to a senior pastor at the church, according to court papers.

Gray, who also worked as a teacher at Little Rock Christian Academy, was briefly removed from her volunteer position while undergoing counseling after allegedly telling church leaders the relationship wasn’t “physical.”
Not removed from her teacher position, too, and who did the hiring/vetting of this Christian woman?

Is it "abusing" and "assaulting" if he was texting back? Shouldn't there be an O Really "Hot Teacher" exception?
... During interviews with federal agents, the boy allegedly said Gray had given him oral sex but they didn’t have intercourse so he could “stay pure,” according to the docs.
There's the Clinton connection :D 30 years on and the same church teaching still applies:
“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is."
The alleged abuse, which occurred nearly a dozen times, took place in Gray’s car or apartment, the victim alleged.
Again, does nearly a dozen times = "abuse"?
In a subsequent interview with the FBI, a church leader admitted Gray had confessed last year during a counseling session that the relationship was sexual....

The church leader resigned from his position earlier this month over the handling of the allegations....
Opps.

Meanwhile, Gray — who now works at Sylvan Hills Middle School — was placed on administration leave in February amid the probe.
:wtf: Little Rock Christian Academy must have given her a good reference.
... Clinton had made clear how important the Southern Baptist church was for him when he tearfully thanked the congregation during a morning service days before first entering the White House in 1993.

“Were it not for this church … I believe it would be virtually impossible (that) I would be going to Washington next week as president,” Clinton told parishioners, according to a Los Angeles Times report from the time. “And I am absolutely certain I would be less prepared for the job.”
"Hot Teacher" back then, too?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, I can think of several reasons why a teacher shouldn't be giving blow jobs to a 15 year old student, but the term or concept "abuse" just doesn't come to mind. At the very least, they need better terminology.
First guy: "I've been abused by my teacher" "What happened?" "She hit me, tied me to the desk and duct-taped my mouth. Then she wouldn't let me go to the bathroom and let the other students laugh at me when I pissed my pants."

Second guy: "I've been abused by my teacher too." "What happened?" "She gave me 12 blow jobs."