Beauregard

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Beauregard

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:49 am
Ronnie was different. He didn't run as his fictional character, as Arnold did unintentionally and as trump did so very intentionally.

The fiction won both elections

Jessie also ran on his fakes
Jesse was a Nay SEAL

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Reagan had his faults, some of which we're still paying for, but you have to admit he did know how to play the role of President*. He also provided what I think is a great strategy for any Dem who may have to ummmm "debate" with Trump. When Reagan debated Carter, he sat there calmly and said "there you go again..." with a smile. Not condescending, not disrespectful, but boom! Biden (or whoever) could also add "oh puh-leeze", "really? with zero evidence?" (to the audience) "is there anyone here who believes any of that?"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:49 am
Ronnie was different. He didn't run as his fictional character, as Arnold did unintentionally and as trump did so very intentionally.

The fiction won both elections

Jessie also ran on his fakes
Jesse was a Nay SEAL

True, but he ran as a tv character with big muscles.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 pm
Reagan had his faults, some of which we're still paying for, but you have to admit he did know how to play the role of President*. He also provided what I think is a great strategy for any Dem who may have to ummmm "debate" with Trump. When Reagan debated Carter, he sat there calmly and said "there you go again..." with a smile. Not condescending, not disrespectful, but boom! Biden (or whoever) could also add "oh puh-leeze", "really? with zero evidence?" (to the audience) "is there anyone here who believes any of that?"

Could work, but then again, doesn't half the country believe the other 15,000+/- lies he has told.

We are in uncharted territory.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:04 pm
O Really wrote:

Could work, but then again, doesn't half the country believe the other 15,000+/- lies he has told.

Probably more like 25% that actually believe - a number that is in itself unbelievable. But those don't matter. They're going to vote Trump no matter what. Mainly the Dem needs to play to his own as well as any who might be swayed and avoid being made to look stupid or ineffectual by Trump. Nobody plays "yo mamma" better than Trump, so if they try to play that, they'll get killed. Need to look "above the fray" and give the air that Trump or what he says really doesn't matter anymore. And don't call his followers "deplorables" even though they are.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:53 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:04 pm
O Really wrote:

Probably more like 25% that actually believe - a number that is in itself unbelievable. But those don't matter. They're going to vote Trump no matter what. Mainly the Dem needs to play to his own as well as any who might be swayed and avoid being made to look stupid or ineffectual by Trump. Nobody plays "yo mamma" better than Trump, so if they try to play that, they'll get killed. Need to look "above the fray" and give the air that Trump or what he says really doesn't matter anymore. And don't call his followers "deplorables" even though they are.
He'll just say that it was said or he heard or whatever and then fox will run a piece about it and then use that piece in another piece about dirty political ads which trump will quote at his rally which will make make Breaking News at fox ...

He may get support from a lot of people who have never voted because of the way the media has treated him.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 pm

He may get support from a lot of people who have never voted because of the way the media has treated him.
May be, but some of us think the media has treated him exceptionally soft. Sitting there with a professionally solemn face and accepting the word salad bullshit he tosses in a serious manner, and then later playing it again, saying "today the President said (something stupid)" and then later again summarizing that "earlier President Trump said (something stupid that has since changed)..." and the again playing a cut of him saying it. In the interest of properly informing the public, they should know that listening/watching anything Trump or his immediate circle says makes you less informed than if you had heard nothing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I wish I knew which strategy is best to peel away Trumpettes or inspire nonvoters.

Hillary mostly stayed above it, and failed.
Repugs like Marco went toe-to-toe, and failed.
Bloomberg got nasty and reportedly infuriated 45SHOLE, but he personally failed.
With things like Ukraine I'd say that Joe is losing the head-to-head PR fight, even though other factors have him still leading the polls.

I guess I'll stick with mocking Trumpettes, but that probably says more about me than it does about effective tactics :wave: .
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 pm
I wish I knew which strategy is best to peel away Trumpettes or inspire nonvoters.

Hillary mostly stayed above it, and failed.
Repugs like Marco went toe-to-toe, and failed.
Bloomberg got nasty and reportedly infuriated 45SHOLE, but he personally failed.
With things like Ukraine I'd say that Joe is losing the head-to-head PR fight, even though other factors have him still leading the polls.

I guess I'll stick with mocking Trumpettes, but that probably says more about me than it does about effective tactics :wave: .
Hillary's failure wasn't primarily because of her strategy in dealing with Trump, and I don't see how she could have done better - certainly not by keeping on playing "do you still beat your wife" over emails and Benghazi.

Marco hasn't done well going toe to toe with anybody.

Bloomberg did a good job nailing Trump and still somewhat ignoring him. He portrayed Trump in his ads only in black and white, and never mentioned his name - only saying omniously "him." But Biden isn't Bloomberg in a lot of ways. And, like Hillary, Bloomberg's failure wasn't primarily due to that engagement strategy. But actually, Bloomberg is lucky he didn't have to deal with Trump in person unless he got a lot better in face to face encounter than he showed in the televised "yo mamma" games.