The Supremes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Supremes

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Probably the best example ever of a case that begs the criminal get fish slapped,

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 am
Probably the best example ever of a case that begs the criminal get fish slapped.
:thumbup: There are so very many examples.

'Shady and corrupt': Add Barrett real estate de​al to list of Supreme Court ethics scandals

It's a done deal, the Roberts court will be remembered by history as being one of the most corrupt ever, possibly #1. :angry-banghead:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:44 pm

It's a done deal, the Roberts court will be remembered by history as being one of the most corrupt ever, possibly #1. :angry-banghead:
One would hope, as it's the Supreme Court that they would voluntarily abide by ethics rules as an example of high standards for the highest court.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 am
Probably the best example ever of a case that begs the criminal get fish slapped.
:thumbup: There are so very many examples.

'Shady and corrupt': Add Barrett real estate de​al to list of Supreme Court ethics scandals

I don't know, hominy.....Chief Justice Roger Taney is hard to beat. But these current fools are in lifetime gigs, so some of them may stlll have a few outrages and squawkfucks up their sleeves. Taney's gonna be hard to beat.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo, you crack me up! :lol:
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... It's a done deal, the Roberts court will be remembered by history as being one of the most corrupt ever, possibly #1. :angry-banghead:
I don't know, hominy.....Chief Justice Roger Taney is hard to beat. But these current fools are in lifetime gigs, so some of them may still have a few outrages and squawkfucks up their sleeves. Taney's gonna be hard to beat.
Aw shucks, I appreciate the status that you grant my Maryland hominy and Dred Scott was arguably the worst SCOTUS decision ever, contributing significantly to our Civil War disaster. However, I'm not seeing that Taney and his court were especially corrupt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_B._Taney#Legacy
Do you have further info?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:16 pm
GoCubsGo, you crack me up! :lol:
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... It's a done deal, the Roberts court will be remembered by history as being one of the most corrupt ever, possibly #1. :angry-banghead:
I don't know, hominy.....Chief Justice Roger Taney is hard to beat. But these current fools are in lifetime gigs, so some of them may still have a few outrages and squawkfucks up their sleeves. Taney's gonna be hard to beat.
Aw shucks, I appreciate the status that you grant my Maryland hominy and Dred Scott was arguably the worst SCOTUS decision ever, contributing significantly to our Civil War disaster. However, I'm not seeing that Taney and his court were especially corrupt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_B._Taney#Legacy
Do you have further info?
No. I just have a good hate for him. In the current controversy, there's two or three Justices that have been grazing off the reservation. So far, what they've done, collectively and individually, has not been of much consequence as far as I can tell. These bastards are all in each others' pockets. I wish we had nine Justices like William O. douglas. He fished in the river up there in Washington state. Never had a problem.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

He looks lovely.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Wow. GoKetanjiGo!

:---P :---P :---P

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

If republicans had only been in favor of repairing the damages caused by Jim Crow, segregation, slavery, etc - there wouldn't be any need for these programs, but the need is still here.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:55 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:40 am
Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim

:roll: IN Republican Attorney General Todd Rokita, Ohio Republican Attorney General Dave Yost and Ohio Republican Rep. Jim Jordan are cretins. The rape WAS rapidly reported and a suspect has been arrested. Opps. Note that Jordan childishly deflects and doesn't have the balls to admit that he screwed up.

Of course, if it was up to the misogynist RepuQs the poor girl would have had a forced birth and her filthy rapist would have parental rights.
US doctor faces hearing over story of 10-year-old's abortion

Seriously? People with souls would be throwing ticker tape parades for the hero doctor.
Indiana abortion doctor: Caitlin Bernard fined for speaking about 10-year-old

Indiana officials say Dr Caitlin Bernard violated her patient's privacy after going public about the girl's treatment.

Her lawyers argue she was acting on her duty to inform the public about the impact of policies like abortion bans.

The story gained national and global attention at the time.

Dr Bernard was fined $3,000 (£2,425) and was issued with a letter of reprimand.

The Indiana Medical Licensing Board, however, did not suspend Dr Bernard's licence and rejected that she was unfit to practice....
Slap on the wrist, practically an endorsement. Asshole Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita utterly failed. Meanwhile, a "court ruled that Rokita had improperly publicly discussed the case before complaints were filed," and:
Rokita under investigation by state disciplinary commission
:---P

More importantly:
Ohio Man Receives Life Sentence Over Rape Of 10-Year-Old Who Got Abortion
The disturbing case received national attention because the girl had to travel across state lines to access abortion care.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:

One would hope, as it's the Supreme Court that they would voluntarily abide by ethics rules as an example of high standards for the highest court.

Oh look, Clarence is even more corrupt than we knew:
Investigation Uncovers More of Clarence Thomas’ Undisclosed Freebies from Wealthy Pals

Clarence Thomas’ connections to wealth and expensive vacations run deeper than billionaire businessman and Nazi-enthusiast Harlan Crow. The New York Times reports that Thomas has milked relationships with the rich he made through the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, a scholarship association, to benefit himself and his wife.

Because of their Horatio Alger connections, Thomas and his spouse, Virginia, have been invited to join luxurious vacations and parties in addition being granted V.I.P. access to sports events. Thanks to the association, Thomas also rubbed elbows with the likes of Oprah Winfrey and Ed McMahon during a lavish three-day Montana birthday party for billionaire industrialist Dennis Washington.
Dennis Washington again? We first heard of him when O Really alerted us to his shady support for Hershel Walker Huh? What?
viewtopic.php?p=183543#p183543
I am so very proud that a fellow Missoulian has his own affirmative action program for substandard Blacks in public life. :thumbup:
But the connections Thomas made through Horatio Alger have benefitted him beyond lavish trips. Thomas’ Horatio Alger contacts — including Washington as well as investor David Sokol, formerly of Berkshire Hathaway — helped fund a documentary that painted him in a heroic light after the premier of an HBO movie that depicted Anita Hill during his confirmation hearings making sexual harassment allegations against Thomas. The Sokol family also hosted Thomas and his wife at their Montana ranch and their waterfront Florida estate. According to the Times, Thomas has not reported many of the benefits and gifts he has received from his rich and well-connected allies. The justice also declined to answer questions from the paper about the matter.
:puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left:
... After his relationship with Crow came to light, Thomas justified his lack of disclosures, claiming that “colleagues and others in the judiciary” advised him he did not need to report trips of “personal hospitality” from friends.
:bs: :bs: :bs:
... The court this year updated its disclosure rules to mandate justices report private jet travel and comped stays at hotels and resorts, but there is an exception for “personal hospitality,” meaning food, accommodations, or entertainment that is not related to business.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
“The Horatio Alger Association has been a home to Virginia and me,” Thomas said when he received the association’s highest honor in 2010, adding that the association “has allowed me to see my dreams come true.”

If his dreams were of undisclosed fancy vacations and V.I.P. access, then that’s probably the case.
:obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: Clarence and Ginny Thomas, Nazi-enthusiast Harlan Crow, Horatio Alger Association, Dennis and Phyllis Washington, Hershel Walker Huh? What?, David Sokol and corruption-enabling Chief Justice John Roberts.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:26 am

:obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: Clarence and Ginny Thomas, Nazi-enthusiast Harlan Crow, Horatio Alger Association, Dennis and Phyllis Washington, Hershel Walker Huh? What?, David Sokol and corruption-enabling Chief Justice John Roberts.
Thomas has been building himself quite the legacy. Roberts is complicit for turning a blind eye.

Nice.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:56 am
The more we learn, the more disgusted we are.

Lawyers with supreme court business paid Clarence Thomas aide via Venmo
Chief Justice John Roberts: There's a well known 'Christmas party exception' to bribery and reporting rules.

:puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:27 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

Chief Justice John Roberts: There's a well known 'Christmas party exception' to bribery and reporting rules.

:puke-left:
:lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

We're not partisan and political! :puke-left: :laughing-rolling:

And we're really ethical too!

Brett Kavanaugh: Supreme Court is ‘government at its finest’

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:40 pm
We're not partisan and political! :puke-left: :laughing-rolling:

And we're really ethical too!

Brett Kavanaugh: Supreme Court is ‘government at its finest’
Maybe before you joined, Boof.
Samuel Alito tells Congress to stay out of Supreme Court ethics controversy

Congress should stay out of the Supreme Court’s business and stop trying to impose ethics rules on justices and clerks, Justice Samuel Alito said in an interview published by The Wall Street Journal editorial page Friday.

“Congress did not create the Supreme Court,” Alito said. “I know this is a controversial view, but I’m willing to say it. No provision in the Constitution gives them the authority to regulate the Supreme Court – period.”
Where's the provision that precludes it? Who passes your budget?
... One of the authors of the Journal interview, attorney David B. Rivkin Jr., represents the plaintiffs in a major tax case the court will hear next term.
What, Murdoch's WSJ is joining in the SCOTUS corruption? Say it ain't so.
... As for criticism of the court’s recent decisions, such as Alito’s majority opinion striking down Roe v. Wade last year, the justice compared any effort to defy the court on a vast scale to objections in the South after major civil rights cases in the 1950s, including Brown v. Board of Education, which declared “separate but equal” was unconstitutional.

“If we’re viewed as illegitimate, then disregard of our decisions becomes more acceptable and more popular,” Alito said. “So you can have a revival of the massive resistance that occurred in the South after Brown.”
:puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left: That is so clueless and offensive. Brown expanded rights. The con misogynists cancelled rights with Dobbs. :obscene-birdiered: Sammy.
AOC claps back at Justice Alito for saying Congress can’t have oversight of Supreme Court

... “What a surprise, guy who is supposed to enforce checks and balances thinks checks shouldn’t apply to him,” Ms Ocasio-Cortez wrote on social media. “Too bad! Corruption and abuse of power must be stopped, no matter the source. In fact, the court should be *most* subject to scrutiny, bc it is unelected & life appointed.”

... “The court’s financial disclosure requirements are a law, passed by Congress; its recusal requirements are a law, passed by Congress; and the body that implements financial disclosure and code of conduct issues is the Judicial Conference, a body created by Congress,” Rhode Island senator Sheldon Whitehouse said earlier this month.

“Please let’s not pretend Congress can’t make amendments to laws Congress has passed or oversee agencies Congress has created,” he said.
Opps.
Mr Alito was in the spotlight last month after ProPublica revealed the justice had travelled to a fishing trip in a remote part of Alaska onboard a private jet belonging to billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Singer, a wealthy Republican donor who’s had cases before the Supreme Court.

The trip wasn’t disclosed on Mr Alito’s yearly financial forms, a potential violation of federal law, though he disputes he did anything wrong.
:obscene-birdiered: Sammy.
(Corrupt Clarence discussion)

Jane Roberts, wife of Chief Justice John Roberts, has also come in for scrutiny for her business activities.

Between 2007 and 2014, she made more than $10m working as a legal recruiter, matching attorneys with top firms, at least one of which argued before her husband, Insider reported, citing information from a whistleblower complaint.

The windfall made her one of the highest-paid legal recruiters in the country at the time.

“When I found out that the spouse of the chief justice was soliciting business from law firms, I knew immediately that it was wrong,” the whistleblower, former colleague Kendal B Price, told the outlet.

“During the time I was there, I was discouraged from ever raising the issue. And I realized that even the law firms who were Jane’s clients had nowhere to go. They were being asked by the spouse of the chief justice for business worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and there was no one to complain to. Most of these firms were likely appearing or seeking to appear before the Supreme Court. It’s natural that they’d do anything they felt was necessary to be competitive.” ...
:puke-left: :naughty:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:

The hits just keep coming:

Clarence Thomas purchased his luxury RV with the help of a wealthy former healthcare executive: NYT

:puke-left: :obscene-birdiered: Just get in it and go away permanently, Clarence and Ginny. I hear that the Oceanside, CA to BC snowbird circuit is nice. :P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:40 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

The hits just keep coming:

Clarence Thomas purchased his luxury RV with the help of a wealthy former healthcare executive: NYT

:puke-left: :obscene-birdiered: Just get in it and go away permanently, Clarence and Ginny. I hear that the Oceanside, CA to BC snowbird circuit is nice. :P
I saw that earlier today. It's kind of weird, it's a dem and also 20 years ago. It's scummy but I don't think this one will have legs but it certainly shows a long history of being corrupt.