College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm
I'll probably have to wait for Josh Moon to comment on Saban hiring Maryland's DJ Durkin
Death of Jordan McNair, "Toxic culture"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Mc ... e_reported
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:35 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm
I'll probably have to wait for Josh Moon to comment on Saban hiring Maryland's DJ Durkin
Death of Jordan McNair, "Toxic culture"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Mc ... e_reported
Huge duck and cover:
Nick Saban issues statement on DJ Durkin’s involvement with Alabama

You had to know this was coming.

Earlier this week, a report surfaced that former Maryland head coach DJ Durkin has been helping Alabama in what was described as a “consultant-like capacity” ahead of its playoff game against Oklahoma later this month. Given Durkin’s controversial exit from College Park, the report raised more than a few eyebrows.

In light of the mini-firestorm that erupted, Alabama Friday night issued a statement attributed to Nick Saban in which the head football coach of the Crimson Tide addressed the level of Durkin’s involvement with his football program:
DJ Durkin is spending a few days with our staff in Tuscaloosa from a professional development standpoint. He has not been hired in any capacity at The University of Alabama. He is simply observing our operation as many other coaches have done through the years.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

FCS
N Dakota St did crush S Dakota St 44-21 yesterday, is in the final, again. :(
Maine is the 13 point underdog, ouch, to Eastern Washington today 1400 ET, ESPN2.

BCS pool
2 pick sets.
Created a "base" set where I picked the same team to beat the spread in both pick sets.

Looked at the current Vegas spreads. The pool spreads came out 12/9 and some things have changed since. When there's a big discrepancy I did not bother looking up why. In several games this caused me to change one or both of my pick sets. In theory, this gives me an advantage over those that don't check Vegas, moderated by the games where I ignore Vegas.

Most notably, the WV QB is choosing to stay healthy for the draft. The 12/28 pool spread is WV -7, the Vegas spread is now WV -1.5. I was going to split my picks, but am now going with Syracuse in both pick sets.

With the games where I'm splitting teams, I just went all favorites in one pick set, all underdogs in the other pick set.

Today
The pool spread is Fresno St -3.5 vs Arizona St, the Vegas spread is now Fresno St -5.5. I was going to split my picks, but now go Fresno St.

The pool spread is Utah St -11 vs North Texas, the Vegas spread is now Utah St -7. I was going to split my picks, but now go North Texas.

The pool spread is East Michigan -3.5 vs Georgia So, the Vegas spread is now Georgia So -3. This may have been a pool glitch, I'm not sure that East Michigan was ever really favored. I was going with East Michigan in both pick sets, but now go Georgia So, ugh.

The pool spread is Appalachian St -9 vs MTSU, the Vegas spread is now Appalachian St -6. No matter, go Appalachian St!

Upcoming
12/18. The pool spread is N Illinois -1 vs UAB, the Vegas spread is now UAB -2.5. This may have been a pool glitch, I don't think that N Illinois was ever really favored. I was going with N. Illinois in both pick sets, but now go UAB, ugh.

12/20. The pool spread is USF -2 vs Marshall, the Vegas spread is now Marshall -2.5. This may have been a pool glitch, I don't think that USF was ever really favored. I was going to split my picks or go with USF in both sets, but now go Marshall.

12/22.
Go Houston -3 vs Army.
Go Hawai'i -2.5 vs LA Tech.

12/26. The pool spread is Georgia Tech -3.5 vs MN, the Vegas spread is now Georgia Tech -6. I was going to split my picks, but now go Georgia Tech.

12/27.
Temple -5 vs Duke. I split my picks.
Miami -2.5 vs Wisconsin. I split my picks.

12/28.
Auburn -3.5 vs Purdue. I split my picks.
The pool spread is Washington St -1.5 vs Iowa St, the Vegas spread is now Washington St -3.5. I was going to split my picks, but now go Washington St.

12/29.
Michigan -7.5 vs Florida. I split my picks, the only Big 6 (more points), non-semi game where I did so, a big part of the reason I didn't enter a 3rd set.
There is no pool spread with Clemson vs Notre Dame, the Vegas spread is now Clemson -13. Screw it, I went with Notre Dame in both pick sets.
There is no pool spread with AL vs OK, the Vegas spread is now AL -14. I split my picks. It looks like my annual whining has finally succeeded and the semis will have spreads next year. If I'd known that this would happen, I would have griped BEFORE the templates were sent out.

12/31.
Go Oregon -1.5 vs Michigan St.
The pool spread is Missouri -4.5 vs Oklahoma St, the Vegas spread is now Missouri -8. I was going to split my picks, but now go Missouri.
Go Northwestern +8.5 vs Utah.
The pool spread is Texas A&M -3 vs NC St, the Vegas spread is now Texas A&M -6. I was going with NC St in both of my sets, but am now splitting my picks.

1/1.
The pool spread is Mississippi St -4 vs Iowa, the Vegas spread is now Mississippi St -7. I was going with Iowa in both of my sets, but am now splitting my picks.
The pool spread is LSU -10 vs UCF, the Vegas spread is now LSU -7. I was going with UCF in both of my sets, anyhow, nice that its odds have improved.
The pool spread is OH St -4 vs WA, the Vegas spread is now OH St -6.5. Screw it, I'm going with WA in both of my sets.
Go Texas +12.5 vs Georgia.

1/7, no spread. This may also change next year if the admins don't mind the extra work of putting out a spread after the semis.
AL > ND in one set.
ND > OK in the other set.
Risky, but AL > Clemson could easily still be a loser since that will be the most popular pick.
If I had entered a 3rd set, it MIGHT have been Clemson > AL.

College Football Future Odds

Odds to win 2018-19 College Football Championship Game (1/7/19)
Alabama 1/2
Clemson 3/1
Oklahoma 10/1
Notre Dame 10/1 LOL.

Outcome of 2018-19 Championship Game (1/7/19)
Alabama defeat Clemson 4/5
Clemson defeat Alabama 4/1
Alabama defeat Notre Dame 11/2 Could be worse.
Clemson defeat Oklahoma 10/1
Notre Dame defeat Alabama 16/1
Oklahoma defeat Clemson 16/1
Notre Dame defeat Oklahoma 33/1 Sigh.
Oklahoma defeat Notre Dame 33/1
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Announcers: The Las Vegas Bowl pumps $27M into the local economy. #21 Fresno St vs 7-5 Arizona St, $27M plus whatever the teams, TV and many others make - yep, the Bowl system ain't going anywhere soon.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:08 pm
I thought you might be interested, O Really. Otoh, this surprises me:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:06 pm
I started a Maine black bear thread back in August over at lnf. It was a lonely thread. Not even the resident Mainer posted.
:lol: I had to badger the UMaine alumnus in our pool into saying something. Because I root for a different FCS team, I was writing about Maine and Delaware (also one fan in our pool, lost in its 1st round playoff game) all season. Not a peep from them or from the 3 other Maine residents. I did hear from the Furman grad about my not mentioning his team. That was because it was doing so poorly that I didn't want to rub it in. :D
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:41 pm
FCS
N Dakota St did crush S Dakota St 44-21 yesterday, is in the final, again. :(
Maine is the 13 point underdog, ouch, to Eastern Washington today 1400 ET, ESPN2.

Maine 19, E Washington 50. Yikes. That red field is hard to watch, way more glaring and distracting than the
blue Boise St turf. Go E Washington on 1/5, mostly out of boredom with N Dakota St winning, but I don't much care. I'll only watch if nothing better is on.

BCS pool

Today
The pool spread is Fresno St -3.5 vs Arizona St, the Vegas spread is now Fresno St -5.5. I was going to split my picks, but now go Fresno St.
Arizona State 20, #21 Fresno State 31. Vegas rocks. 2 points since Fresno State is a top 25 team.

The pool spread is Utah St -11 vs North Texas, the Vegas spread is now Utah St -7. I was going to split my picks, but now go North Texas.
Utah State 52, North Texas 13. Vegas sucks.

The pool spread is East Michigan -3.5 vs Georgia So, the Vegas spread is now Georgia So -3. This may have been a pool glitch, I'm not sure that East Michigan was ever really favored. I was going with East Michigan in both pick sets, but now go Georgia So, ugh.
GaSo 23 on a walkoff FG, EastMi 21. Vegas rocks :D , but I still would have won if EastMi won by a point :( .

The pool spread is Appalachian St -9 vs MTSU, the Vegas spread is now Appalachian St -6. No matter, go Appalachian St!
MiddTn 13, App 45. :clap: :!: Fortunately, Vegas sucks. The Mountaineers have played in and won Bowls in each of their 1st 4 seasons of eligibility. No other team has ever done that even 3 times. I'll enjoy rubbing it in on the MTSU bettors that I've been bragging about Appalachian St for years to. Since we have a couple of Michigan fans, once a season or so I find reason to recall 2007 when then FCS Appalachian St upset then #5 Michigan. :twisted:
6 games, 7 possible points, both of my pick sets scored 5. I'll take it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

17 pick sets submitted including my 2.
Vrede too wrote:
1/7, no spread. This may also change next year if the admins don't mind the extra work of putting out a spread after the semis.
AL > ND in one set. 2 sets including mine.
ND > OK in the other set. Just my set.
Risky, but AL > Clemson could easily still be a loser since that will be the most popular pick. 11 sets.
If I had entered a 3rd set, it MIGHT have been Clemson > AL. 3 sets.

14 picked AL and Clemson in the final. No one picked OK to win it all and only I picked it to win vs AL.
3 players have 6 points.
5 players including my 2 sets have 5 points.
2 players have 2 points.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
12/18. The pool spread is N Illinois -1 vs UAB, the Vegas spread is now UAB -2.5. This may have been a pool glitch, I don't think that N Illinois was ever really favored. I was going with N. Illinois in both pick sets, but now go UAB, ugh.
UAB blasted Northern Illinois, 37-13.

8 points possible.
2 players have 7 points.
6 players including my 2 sets have 6 points.
4 players have 3 points.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ohio -3 vs San Diego St tonight. I split my picks, but the 2 pool leaders went with San Diego St.
Go Ohio.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ohio 27, San Diego St 0. :thumbup:

9 points possible.
5 of us have 7 points.
6 of us have 6 points.
3 players have 3 points.

Go Marshall +2, both sets.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
12/20. The pool spread is USF -2 vs Marshall, the Vegas spread is now Marshall -2.5. This may have been a pool glitch, I don't think that USF was ever really favored. I was going to split my picks or go with USF in both sets, but now go Marshall.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:19 am
Marshall 38, USF 20. :thumbup:

10 points possible.
Just 2 of us have 8 points.
6 of us have 7 points.
3 players have 3 points.

Go:
Toledo - 4.5 vs FL International, split sets.
Toledo only because my "favorite" bracket is doing a point better. I'm still in good shape if FL International wins.

W. Michigan +14 vs BYU, in both sets.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Toledo 32, FL International 35, good game.

11 points possible.
8 of us including both of my sets have 8 points.
2 players have 3 points.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

W. Michigan18, BYU 49. :thumbdown:

12 points possible.
One person's 2 sets have 9 points.
8 of us have 8 points.
3 players have 4 points.

Go:
Split sets -
Memphis -4.5 or Wake Forest +4.5

Pick in both sets -
Houston -3 vs Army
Buffalo -4 vs Troy
Hawai'i -2.5 vs LA Tech
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Memphis 34, Wake Forest 37, good game. My sets were split.

Houston (channeling Grenada) 14, Army 70 :roll:
Buffalo 32, Troy 42 :thumbdown:
Hawai'i -2.5 vs LA Tech :thumbdown:

La Tech’s Jaylon Ferguson (#SackDaddy) sets FBS career sack record (45) in Hawaii Bowl victory

Good for him, and doing it on national TV can only help his draft status. DE, 6'5", 262#, bet he's fast, too.

Good day for underdogs, ugly day for me, 1-3 and 0-4.

17 sets, 16 points possible.
5 leaders have 11 points. I'm lucky that the leader only went 2-2 and 1-3.
I’m tied for 8th with 9 points and tied for 11th with 8 points.
3 folks have 5 points.

12/26

Go Boston College +2.5 vs #25 Boise St (2 points), but only because my underdog bracket is doing 1 point better, not a disaster if Boise St beats the spread.

Go California > TCU, of course, no spread.
The pool spread is Georgia Tech -3.5 vs MN, the Vegas spread is now Georgia Tech -6. I was going to split my picks, but now go Georgia Tech.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:31 am
At least ucf finally gets to play a top 20 team in defense of their top ten ranking.

They might even win against a very inconsistent 3 1/2 loss lsu
Looks like lsu may lose 2 players, including #2 running back - unless everyone goes along with the murder happened in the back seat and we were in the front seat story.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 am
Looks like lsu may lose 2 players, including #2 running back - unless everyone goes along with the murder happened in the back seat and we were in the front seat story.
Different explanation:

LSU football player shot man who tried to rob him and teammate, police reveal in new info

We'll see. No change in the LSU -7 spread yet.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:52 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 am
Different explanation:

LSU football player shot man who tried to rob him and teammate, police reveal in new info

We'll see. No change in the LSU -7 spread yet.

He tried to steal the electronic equipment we we're trying to sell out of our car so we shot him seven times

Is code speak for, we were trying to make a drug buy and the guy tried to steal our bunch of money so we killed the fucker.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Yahoo Sports: Dexter Lawrence among 3 Clemson players who failed NCAA drug test, could miss Cotton Bowl.
https://sports.yahoo.com/3-clemson-play ... 52443.html

Dabo has a point, how would his players know that they were being fed performance enhancing drugs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:41 pm
Yahoo Sports: Dexter Lawrence among 3 Clemson players who failed NCAA drug test, could miss Cotton Bowl.
https://sports.yahoo.com/3-clemson-play ... 52443.html

Dabo has a point, how would his players know that they were being fed performance enhancing drugs by people following Dabo's orders.
FTFY.

Good for Notre Dame. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:30 am
12/26

1330 ET: Go Boston College +2.5 vs #25 Boise St (2 points), but only because my underdog bracket is doing 1 point better, not a disaster if Boise St beats the spread.
Plus, 4 of the 5 leaders picked Boise St.
1715 ET: The pool spread is Georgia Tech -3.5 vs MN, the Vegas spread is now Georgia Tech -6. I was going to split my picks, but now go Georgia Tech.
Vegas dropped the spread to Georgia Tech -5.5, still better than the pool spread.

2100 ET: Go California > TCU, of course, no spread.
Vegas has the spread at California -1. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.