College football

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Opelika Auburn News: ‘I was once that person’: Auburn’s Deshaun Davis spends his Christmas giving back.
https://www.oanow.com/sports/college/au ... fcd86.html

A feel good story.

He is constantly told that he's too small for the NFL. He's from Mobile, yet wasn't even invited to the Senior Bowl until there was so much local backlash that they made a place for his always smiling face.

“I was once that person.”

“Sometimes I didn’t have someone like myself to have the heart to (reach out),” Davis said. “So, that’s kind of what made me want to do it, just trying to be that person that I wanted as a kid.

“I have the platform now.”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too (red) wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:14 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:30 am
12/26

1330 ET: Go Boston College +2.5 vs #25 Boise St (2 points), but only because my underdog bracket is doing 1 point better, not a disaster if Boise St beats the spread.
Plus, 4 of the 5 leaders picked Boise St.
Crap! Boston College was up 7-0 in the 1st quarter. Then the game was cancelled due to weather. If I lose out by 2 because of this - arrrggghhh!
1715 ET: The pool spread is Georgia Tech -3.5 vs MN, the Vegas spread is now Georgia Tech -6. I was going to split my picks, but now go Georgia Tech.
Vegas dropped the spread to Georgia Tech -5.5, still better than the pool spread.
Vegas sucks.

2100 ET: Go California > TCU, of course, no spread.
Vegas has the spread at California -1. :thumbup:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:28 pm
2100 ET: Go California > TCU, of course, no spread.
Vegas has the spread at California -1. :thumbup:
Crap, ugly game, 8 INTs total, 4 for each QB, TCU wins with a FG in OT after, you guessed it, a 9th INT. Christians beat Antifa. Vegas sucks.

I'm tied for 9th at 4 points out of the lead, and tied for 12th at 5 points out of the lead.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:41 pm
12/27.
Temple -5 vs Duke. I split my picks.
Miami -2.5 vs Wisconsin. I split my picks.
Since my underdog set is doing 1 point better at the moment, I guess I want Duke and then either Wisconsin or don't care.

Vanderbilt -2.5 vs Baylor in both of my sets.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wisconsin 35-3 over Miami. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:46 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:41 pm
Yahoo Sports: Dexter Lawrence among 3 Clemson players who failed NCAA drug test, could miss Cotton Bowl.
https://sports.yahoo.com/3-clemson-play ... 52443.html

Dabo has a point, how would his players know that they were being fed performance enhancing drugs by people following Dabo's orders.
FTFY.

Good for Notre Dame. :thumbup:
Dexter Lawrence’s suspension upheld, will miss Clemson’s playoff game

And there you have it.

Christmas Eve, reports emerged that three Clemson football players, including star defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence, had tested positive for ostarine, a banned substance used to help increase muscle mass and strength, and will be suspended for the Cotton Bowl....

Thursday night, Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said in a statement that the university received confirmation that the suspensions have been upheld. That means that Lawrence, as well as tight end Braden Galloway and offensive lineman Zach Giella, will be unavailable for Saturday’s playoff game against Notre Dame....
The spread is still Clemson -12.5, but this news may have come out late today.
Vrede too wrote:
Go Texas +12.5 vs Georgia.
Both sets.

Georgia’s (star CB) Deandre Baker skipping Sugar Bowl to prep for NFL draft

:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 am
Good game. Vanderbilt 21-17 at the half. Vanderbilt RB Vaughn has 150 yards and 2 TDs on just 7 carries!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Good game. Vanderbilt 21-17 at the half. Vanderbilt RB Vaughn has 150 yards and 2 TDs on just 7 carries!

Edit: Baylor wins 45-38 on a 52 yard TD pass with 1:50 left. Good couple of days for TX xtians, god dammit.
K. Vaughn: 13 carries, 243 yards, 18.7 yards per carry, 2 TDs. Think about that, every time he rushed for 17 yards his average went DOWN. 2nd best ever for Vanderbilt, maybe they should have given it to him more.

My underdog set picked all 3 games the same as the leader. I advanced a little on others, but not him. :( I'm now tied for 8th, still at 4 points out of the lead, and tied for 13th at 7 points out of the lead.
Vrede too wrote:
12/28.

Auburn -3.5 vs Purdue. I split my picks. Go Purdue, since my underdog set is doing better. Sorry, billy.pilgrim.

Most notably, the WV QB is choosing to stay healthy for the draft. The 12/28 pool spread is #16 WV -7, the Vegas spread is now WV -1.5 (Now WV -2.5.). I was going to split my picks, but am now going with #20 Syracuse in both pick sets. 2 points.

The pool spread is #13 Washington St -1.5 vs #24 Iowa St, the Vegas spread is now Washington St -3.5 (Now Washington St -2.5, I would have kept the split sets.). I was going to split my picks, but now go Washington St. 2 points.
My underdog set has picked all 3 games the same as the leader. I can advance on others, but not him. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is ugly. Does the NCAA have a Mercy Rule? What else is on TV?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:37 pm
This is ugly. Does the NCAA have a Mercy Rule? What else is on TV?
I can't figure out why we didn't even try to score on our last possession in the first half. It's like Gus is comfortable with 56 points.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:30 pm
I can't figure out why we didn't even try to score on our last possession in the first half. It's like Gus is comfortable with 56 points.
That was decent, but really good sports would have stopped running up the score after the 1st quarter. ;)
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 am
Vrede too wrote:
Most notably, the WV QB is choosing to stay healthy for the draft. The 12/28 pool spread is #16 WV -7, the Vegas spread is now WV -1.5 (Now WV -2.5.). I was going to split my picks, but am now going with #20 Syracuse in both pick sets. 2 points.
Vegas rocks. WV QB J. Allison did okay, but it was his first start since high school 3 years ago.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 am
Vrede too wrote:
The pool spread is #13 Washington St -1.5 vs #24 Iowa St, the Vegas spread is now Washington St -3.5 (Now Washington St -2.5, I would have kept the split sets.). I was going to split my picks, but now go Washington St. 2 points.
My underdog set has picked all 3 games the same as the leader. I can advance on others, but not him. :(
Vegas rocks, for me. Washington St beats the pool spread by 0.5. Good game. Think of all of the great, great Pac 12 QBs there have been. Minshew just set the single season record with about 4800 yards. He passed a pretty good QB, Jared Goff of Cal and now the NFC #2 Los Angeles Rams.

I advanced a little. I'm now tied for 7th out of 17, still 4 points out of the lead, and tied for 10th at 6 points out of the lead.

Huge day now, 18 points at stake.
Vrede too wrote:
12/29.
Michigan -7.5 vs Florida. I split my picks, the only Big 6 (more points), non-semi game where I did so, a big part of the reason I didn't enter a 3rd set.
I now want Florida since my underdog set is doing better. 4 points.

There is no pool spread with Clemson vs Notre Dame, the Vegas spread is now Clemson -13 (now -12.50). Screw it, I went with Notre Dame in both pick sets. 6 points.

There is no pool spread with AL vs OK, the Vegas spread is now AL -14. I split my picks. 6 points.
I split my picks but now want Virginia +3.5 vs South Carolina since my underdog set is doing better.

Go Nevada > Arkansas St in both of my sets, no pool spread but the Vegas spread is now Nevada -1.5.
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:58 pm
17 pick sets submitted including my 2.
Vrede too wrote:
1/7, no spread.

AL > ND in one set. 2 sets including mine.
ND > OK in the other set. Just my set.
Risky, but AL > Clemson could easily still be a loser since that will be the most popular pick. 11 sets.
If I had entered a 3rd set, it MIGHT have been Clemson > AL. 3 sets.

14 picked AL and Clemson in the final. No one picked OK to win it all and only I picked it to win vs AL.
I want OK > AL since I'm the only one to pick it, but may be okay if AL wins.

I'm pretty sure that AL and Clemson winning sinks me. Only one other player picked ND > Clemson.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:54 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:30 pm
That was decent, but really good sports would have stopped running up the score after the 1st quarter. ;)

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... echs-222-0

We were way easier on them than Heisman was against my other school. By quarter: 63, 63, 54 and then he let up and only scored 42 in the 4th.

QB, "Get it, pick it up". RB, "You dropped it, you pick it up."

Martin Sheen was on campus in the late 80s considering making a movie about the game.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Email from pool admin. to all of us:
I can't decide if today is a big day for the pool or not. Sure, there are 5 games - more than any other day but NYE, and sure, the playoff games with their big points take place today. On the other hand, two of today's games are just one-pointers, and only (Vrede too) and Sean picked either of the underdogs in the playoffs, so the Jibba Jabba standings won't undergo a massive shake-up.

For Sean and (Vrede too), though, today really is the big one. Sean is one of the current leaders, so a ND win would give him a massive lead over the pack (and a Clemson win will drop him to the middle of it). (Vrede too) is pretty much guaranteed to end the day in the running for a prize. If the underdogs win, he'll be our leader. If they don't, one of his sets will be in contention for the pink highlighter.
Our nickname for last is "pink highlighter", it get's its $10 back.

:D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 am
I advanced a little. I'm now tied for 7th out of 17, still 4 points out of the lead, and tied for 10th at 6 points out of the lead.

Huge day now, 18 points at stake.
Vrede too wrote:
12/29.
Michigan -7.5 vs Florida. I split my picks, the only Big 6 (more points), non-semi game where I did so, a big part of the reason I didn't enter a 3rd set.
I now want Florida since my underdog set is doing better. 4 points.
I split my picks but now want Virginia +3.5 vs South Carolina since my underdog set is doing better.

Go Nevada > Arkansas St in both of my sets, no pool spread but the Vegas spread is now Nevada -1.5.
UVA 28, SC 0. :thumbup:
Florida 41, Michigan 15. :thumbup:
Nevada is losing to Arkansas St 3-7 at the start of the 4th quarter. :|

I advanced a little. I'm now tied for 6th out of 17, 3 points out of the lead, and tied for 11th at 9 points out of the lead.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nevada “wins” 10-7 with a 1 yard TD run with 1:06 left, allows a long drive and FG to force OT. Nevada WINS 16-13. :clap:

I advanced a little. Now tied for 5th out of 17, 3 points out of the lead, and still tied for 11th at 9 points out of the lead.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oh well, it is some small comfort that I would have lost betting on ND even if we used the spread.

I drop to a tie for 8th, 7 points out of the lead. If OK somehow wins I will jump to a tie for 2nd and 1 point out of the lead with 12 games yet to play.
I drop to solo 17th out of 17, 13 points out of the lead, in position to get my $10 back. :D

Edit: Oh well, no reason to think that the OK defense would show up after being MIA all season. I drop to a tie for 13th, 11 points out of the lead, and stay in solo 17th out of 17, 13 points out of the lead.

Amazingly, my underdog bracket can still tie for 3rd pending the championship score tiebreaker, $10 back, if Clemson > AL and every other game goes perfect.

Pool-wise, it would make more sense to root for losing bets to get the $10 back, though there will be some games that I won't do that for.

12/31

Don't really care about:

Cincinnati vs Virginia Tech
Missouri vs Oklahoma St.

Go:

Oregon > Michigan St.
Northwestern > Utah
NC St. > Texas A&M

I like both Stanford and Pittsburgh.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:22 pm
Oh well, it is some small comfort that I would have lost betting on ND even if we used the spread.

I drop to a tie for 8th, 7 points out of the lead. If OK somehow wins I will jump to a tie for 2nd and 1 point out of the lead with 12 games yet to play.
I drop to solo 17th out of 17, 13 points out of the lead, in position to get my $10 back. :D

Edit: Oh well, no reason to think that the OK defense would show up after being MIA all season. I drop to a tie for 13th, 11 points out of the lead, and stay in solo 17th out of 17, 13 points out of the lead.

Amazingly, my underdog bracket can still tie for 3rd pending the championship score tiebreaker, $10 back, if Clemson > AL and every other game goes perfect.

Pool-wise, it would make more sense to root for losing bets to get the $10 back, though there will be some games that I won't do that for.

12/31

Don't really care about:

Cincinnati vs Virginia Tech
Missouri vs Oklahoma St.

Go:

Oregon > Michigan St.
Northwestern > Utah
NC St. > Texas A&M

I like both Stanford and Pittsburgh.
Would be hard for me to bet on dabo or bammer - glad I don't bet on sports.

I have to go with the ATM's over nc state. Being a neutral field texas should be allowed some get aquainted time on the field before the game.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 am
Would be hard for me to bet on dabo or bammer - glad I don't bet on sports.
I did bet on AL > ND in one set, but didn't like doing it. AL is favored by 6. Maybe next year (after my whining) we will make championship game picks vs the spread after the playoffs. Not sure who I would hold my nose and select this year.
I have to go with the ATM's over nc state. Being a neutral field texas should be allowed some get aquainted time on the field before the game.
:lol: :thumbup: Maybe there's a nearby basketball court they can use.

I'm not much of an NC St fan, but Texas is Texas.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
12/31.

Go Oregon -1.5 vs Michigan St.
The pool spread is Missouri -4.5 vs Oklahoma St, the Vegas spread is now Missouri -8. I was going to split my picks, but now go Missouri.
Go Northwestern +8.5 vs Utah.
The pool spread is Texas A&M -3 vs NC St, the Vegas spread is now Texas A&M -6. I was going with NC St in both of my sets, but am now splitting my picks.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:22 pm
12/31

Don't really care about:

Cincinnati -7.5 vs Virginia Tech
Don't personally care, but VT beating the spread helps keeps my worst bracket worst, $10 back. First blood!

Missouri vs Oklahoma St.
Don't personally care, but Oklahoma St beating the spread helps keeps my worst bracket worst and keeps my better bracket low.

Go:

Oregon > Michigan St.
Still, Go Ducks!

Northwestern > Utah
Still, of course, no Mormons.

NC St. > Texas A&M
Lean towards NC St, regardless, and it beating the spread helps keeps my worst bracket worst.

I like both Stanford -8.5 and Pittsburgh.
Don't personally care, but Pittsburgh beating the spread helps keeps my worst bracket worst.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:18 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Cincinnati -7.5 vs Virginia Tech
Don't personally care, but VT beating the spread helps keeps my worst bracket worst, $10 back. First blood!
Good game. Cincinnati 35, Virginia Tech 31. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.