Admiral

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by O Really »

And Tebow got jettisoned. Could he be singing "Alouette, gentle alouette..."

O Really
Admiral

"Redtails" is ridiculous. I'm not usually a supporter of pro sports team owners, but in this case I think Allen ought to tell the DC Council, "Three words: "Los Angeles Redskins."

O Really
Admiral

Maybe they could be "The Team Formerly Known as Redskins." But I don't think there's any worry about the fight song. Last years rare playoff appearance nothwithstanding, there hasn't been much "hail victory" lately anyway.

But if they do decide to rename so as to play within the District, they should be the Washington Wussies. "Hail to the Wussies! Hail losing spree. We're all ho's, wimps and losers, but we play in old DC!"

O Really
Admiral

I know that nobody could form a new team today and name it "Redskins." I know if the name of the team was the Washington SlaveOwners or Washington Pickaninnies it would have been long gone. But it's not either of those. And it's not like the logo makes fun of Indians like the Cleveland "Chief" does or did. Besides, how offensive can it be to have a team named after peanuts? http://www.hubspeanuts.com/redskin-peanuts.html

O Really
Admiral

True, most are non-offensive. But nobody seems to care about the Chiefs or Vikings or Eskimos. Probably "Wizards" is offensive to everybody that that thinks Pagans are taking over the world and killing off the Christians. Aren't the Buccaneers and Raiders romanticizing criminals? And how about Homo's favorite team, the Bucks?

Shall we now crusade against the Canucks, too?

O Really
Admiral

blackhawk.jpg
And don't forget the Blackhawks. Which reminds me, doesn't this pic look really weird for all those toothless guys to be running around with no helmets and no goalie mask?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hocke ... ardens.jpg

But you've got that logo, and this one...http://www.sports-logos-screensavers.co ... skins.html
which one do you suppose gets criticized for being "racist" "insensitive" and "disrespectful"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

O Really
Admiral

Snyder says "no way" he'll change from Redskins... http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dani ... ame-050913

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Slightly OT, perhaps, but how did it get to be the responsibility of the respective city to build and maintain the stadiums and coliseums and arenas and domes, and shit? If the teams involved are such majority users of said venues that they feel justified in making such demands, then should they not build and maintain their own damn playgrounds? Old question, I know, but I have never heard a reasoned, satisfactory answer. In terms of pure profit, there are a great many college teams which are an enormous source of revenue for their home city, yet they are usually responsible for providing their own facilities.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

I'll give it a try. Pro teams are to a large degree mobile, unlike colleges who are pretty much stuck where they are. But cities look at pro teams like any other desirable business entity, and do things to attract them, usually things involving lots of money. On the other hand, if all the potential cities would get together instead of bidding against each other, they could put a stop to the madness.

O Really
Admiral

And the cities do get revenue from the teams, both as rent and a share of the concessions. And they still use the stadium for concerts, other games, etc. A stadium, with all its surrounding attractions, can do a total transform on an iffy part of town in a fairly short time. Actually, there have been instances when the city took the "build it and they will come" approach. Not necessarily the most successful strategy.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Rich, connected owners, dumb pols=new or retrofitted stadium. Works like a charm.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Can't find any reliable numbers to provide evidence that the return on these structures- funded mostly or entirely by taxpayer funds- ever actually show a meaningful return to the taxpayers as a whole. Yes, I understand that some businesses realize some black ink as a result of games and shows, etc. But they are mostly businesses that don't provide decently-paying jobs. It does not seem like a good investment of tax money to me.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:Can't find any reliable numbers to provide evidence that the return on these structures- funded mostly or entirely by taxpayer funds- ever actually show a meaningful return to the taxpayers as a whole. Yes, I understand that some businesses realize some black ink as a result of games and shows, etc. But they are mostly businesses that don't provide decently-paying jobs. It does not seem like a good investment of tax money to me.
It's not supposed to be an "investment." It's an expense. The revenue is supposed to offset some of that expense, but it's still an expense. Like a new road. You might get landowners to pay for some parts of the project, or you might get a toll on it, but it's not going to make money. On the other hand, consider the entertainment options you get at the Bi-Lo Center or Peace Center compared to the warehouse formerly known as the Asheville Civic Center or the (very nice but tiny) Wortham.

O Really
Admiral

The Skins by any name suck tonight!
Iggles are rolling like a figting pit bull pack. Oh wait...

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Yeah, I can't stand the Cowboys either, never could. What a great
play, Stafford faking a spike and going over the top for a TD. Sweet.
And to think I was going to turn it off. Ouch.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

I would almost, almost, pay money to see the Pats get beat like a
rug. Guess the Dolphins decided to sit the second half out. Seeing
the Boys lose like that almost erased the New England comeback.
Almost.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Are there any other kind? And cod fish too. Yuck. I think I just got
tired of hearing about the Pats winning all the time, not that they
aren't a very talented team with some great players, but after a
while one gets sick of it concerning certain teams. Admittedly, these
things aren't always rational. Coach B with a scowl wrapped inside a
hoodie doesn't help either. :thumbdown:

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

I really don't follow college football that much. When it comes to the pros,
there are a few teams I like and a few I can't stand. I'm mostly indifferent
to the great majority of teams. Hard to get excited, one way or the other,
about the Bills or the Browns or the Falcons, etc.

O Really
Admiral

Names change with team sales or owner deaths. The Oilers are the Titans, the Rams and Cardinals left LA and St. Louis, the Ravens replaced the Colts...yada. Fine. Sell them to LA and call them the Kardashians. But as long as they're in DC it should be "hail to the Redskins"!

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:It doesn't look like they'll ever be "in DC" again unless the name changes. Another reason.
Technicality. :roll:
But it doesn't have the same feel if you sing it,
"...fight, for old Landover..."