NFL Football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:37 am
I'm not surprised he (Belichick) didn't get a deal. As I mentioned before, his record after Brady isn't wonderful, and he's been in charge of everything from top to bottom. Plus, he's an asshole. People will put up with an asshole who wins, but it's a different story to hire one upfront. Apparently one of his demands for whoever looked at him was that same total control and the teams weren't having it.

I'm more surprised that Vrabel is still out.
"asshole" - I knew that I was forgetting something. Thanks.
Mike Vrabel Head coaching record
Tennessee Titans (2018–2023)
Regular season: 54–45 (.545)
Postseason: 2–3 (.400)
Career: 56–48 (.538)
And that's with Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tannehill and Derrick Henry.
2022: 7-10
2023: 6–11
Meh :| -0-?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Is this guy even shaving yet?

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Congrats Mongo...you deserve it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wife-former-be ... p_catchall

As an aside, a close relative of mine was recently diagnosed with ALS. I can't think of anything worse for someone who is so undeserving. :crybaby:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:38 pm
Congrats Mongo...you deserve it.

https://twitter.com/CHGO_Bears/status/1 ... 4016152943

https://sports.yahoo.com/wife-former-be ... 36535.html

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads ... caled.jpeg
As an aside, a close relative of mine was recently diagnosed with ALS. I can't think of anything worse for someone who is so undeserving. :crybaby:
Congrats, Mongo!

ALS sucks. Sorry about your relative.
:( :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson wins 2nd career NFL MVP award

... At 27, Jackson is the youngest two-time NFL MVP since the merger, beating out Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes by just over nine months.

Jackson was the landslide winner, receiving 49 of the 50 first-place votes to fall one shy of another unanimous selection. For the 2019 season, Jackson joined Tom Brady as the only players to get all 50 first-place votes for MVP....

The other first-place vote for MVP this season went to Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who finished fifth in the voting.

... The other players who have won more than one NFL MVP since 1967 are: Peyton Manning (five), Aaron Rodgers (four), Tom Brady (three), Brett Favre (three), Mahomes (two), Joe Montana (two) and Steve Young (two).

When Jackson won MVP in 2019, he led the NFL in touchdown passes with 36 and set the single-season rushing record by a quarterback with 1,206 yards. This time, Jackson captured the award because he was the best player on the league's most dominant team in the regular season.

In addition to setting career highs with 3,678 yards passing and a 67.2 completion rate, he was the driving force for a Ravens team that finished with the NFL's top record at 13-4. He's the third quarterback since the 1970 merger to win MVP without a 1,000-yard rusher or a 1,000-yard receiver, joining John Elway (1987) and Favre (1996)....

Jackson separated himself from the other candidates by playing his best against the best, recording 10 victories against teams that finished with winning records. That's the most by a quarterback in a single season since at least 2000, according to ESPN Stats & Information....
:clap: , but bittersweet.
Earlier Thursday night, running back Christian McCaffrey became the first San Francisco 49ers player to win the AP's Offensive Player of the Year award since Jerry Rice did so in 1993. In his second season with San Francisco, McCaffrey led the NFL in both rushing yards (1,459) and total yards from scrimmage (2,023) while scoring 21 touchdowns, which was tied for the most by non-quarterbacks.

McCaffrey is seeking to become the sixth player to win Offensive Player of the Year and the Super Bowl in the same season.

"We got one more," said McCaffrey, whose 49ers play the Chiefs on Sunday. "Let's finish it the right way."
:thumbup: He was also 3rd in NFL MVP voting, edging out #4 Brock Purdy for locker room bragging rights.
GoPurdy, McCaffrey & 49ersGo!
The Cleveland Browns celebrated one of their most successful seasons since returning to the NFL 25 years ago by winning four awards, the most by any team.

The NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award went to defensive end Myles Garrett, who became the first Browns player to receive the honor. Garrett produced 14 sacks, 17 tackles for loss and 4 forced fumbles for the NFL's top-ranked defense.

"To the city of Cleveland, this one's for you," Garrett said, holding up his trophy. "We're going to bring home something bigger next time."

The Browns' Kevin Stefanski won NFL Coach of the Year by edging the Texans' DeMeco Ryans. Stefanski, who guided Cleveland to the postseason despite using five different starting quarterbacks, beat out Ryans by one first-place vote.

The Comeback Player of the Year was quarterback Joe Flacco, who went from throwing to family members while out of the league for the first 2½ months of the season to leading the Browns to their first playoff appearance since 2020. A Super Bowl MVP 11 years ago, Flacco threw 1,616 yards and 13 touchdown passes in five regular-season games, winning four of them.
GoJoeGo! You even beat the zombie:
Flacco edged the Buffalo Bills' Damar Hamlin for the award by 11 points. Hamlin returned this season after suffering cardiac arrest during a game against the Cincinnati Bengals on Jan. 2, 2023.

And first-year Cleveland defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz was named Assistant Coach of the Year as Cleveland allowed the fewest yards per game (270.2) in the NFL since 2014 and the fewest by the Browns since 1957....

The NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year award went to Steelers defensive tackle Cameron Heyward, whose initiatives combat childhood hunger and support childhood literacy.

"There are so many kids that are looking to just partner and people to connect with," Heyward said. "We might not have the same backgrounds, but I want to be an advocate, I want to continue to give back. I want to make sure they understand there are opportunities to be had."
:-||
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Heyward made a very nice speech.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Is that the same Jackson that was on his back or running for his life against the Swifties?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:47 am
Is that the same Jackson that was on his back or running for his life against the Swifties?
:roll:

Wiki:
The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP) is an award given by various entities to the American football player who is considered the most valuable in the National Football League (NFL) during the regular season....
nfl.com:
ESPN article I linked to start this tangent:
Though the season ultimately fell short of his expectations, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson still made history at Thursday evening's NFL Honors ceremony by winning The Associated Press' NFL MVP award for a second time....

Jackson, who lost to Mahomes and the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game ...

"To do stuff like this is incredible. I never thought I'd be two-time MVP. If anything, I thought I would be a Super Bowl-winning quarterback by now.

"I still have stuff to prove to the naysayers. But I need the naysayers to keep going [and] keep adding fuel to that fire for me to keep being Lamar Jackson." ...
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:13 am
:clap: , but bittersweet.

AFC Championship:
Patrick Mahomes sacks: 2-11
Lamar Jackson sacks: 4-17
2 sacks and 6 yards ain't a lot to brag about. Then, there's the Swifty's rushing deficit:
Patrick Mahomes: 6-15
Lamar Jackson: 8-54
Pretty effective "running for his life". Then, there's the regular season:
Mahomes 27 sacks vs 37 for Jackson.
However:
Mahomes rating 92.6, rushed for 389 yards, a 5.2 average.
Jackson rating 102.7, rushed for 821 yards, a 5.5 average.

So yeah, "the same Jackson" and he earned the regular season NFL MVP according to 49 out of 50 voters.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Caught own pass for gain:
Jackson 1
Mahomes 0

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:33 pm
Jackson 1
Mahomes 0
:thumbup: For 13 yards, though it's going too far to say that Jackson was targeted.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gam ... 47379#home
Maybe give the Swifty defensive lineman that credit.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:01 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:33 pm
Jackson 1
Mahomes 0
:thumbup: For 13 yards, though it's going too far to say that Jackson was targeted.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gam ... 47379#home
Maybe give the Swifty defensive lineman that credit.
I'm mainly just yanking your Ravens chain - Jackson is by any measure a great player even without a trip to the Super Bowl. I'm just not sure the trophy shouldn't be named "Best Offensive Backfield Player" instead of "Most Valuable." F'rinstance, you're never ever going to see another MVP go to a kicker, even if you have one that scored on all his kicks and literally won 3-4 games on last minute kicks under adverse circumstances.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:15 am
I'm mainly just yanking your Ravens chain - Jackson is by any measure a great player even without a trip to the Super Bowl. I'm just not sure the trophy shouldn't be named "Best Offensive Backfield Player" instead of "Most Valuable." F'rinstance, you're never ever going to see another MVP go to a kicker, even if you have one that scored on all his kicks and literally won 3-4 games on last minute kicks under adverse circumstances.
I know, just being thorough in partially agreeing with then debunking the trash talk.

:oops: Bad link above. Here: The National Football League Most Valuable Player Award (NFL MVP)
It includes a List of winners without naming their positions.

The official NFL winner is the AP NFL MVP, and it's exactly as you say.
Always offensive backfield going back to 1986 :roll:
Almost always QB, the last RB was:
2012 RB Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings
1986 was:
ROLB Lawrence Taylor New York Giants
The only other defender going back to 1957 was:
1971 RDT Alan Page Minnesota Vikings
Taylor and Page were monsters, but it should be even more defenders. It's never a receiver, defensive back or kick returner :x :x :x Nor punter ;)
There was one kicker:
1982 K Mark Moseley Washington, DC
In the strike-shortened 1982 season, Moseley converted 23 straight field goals from 1981-82, (a record at the time), made a league-leading 20 of 21 field goals, a then-record 95.2 success rate, and was responsible for 76 points.
Just 9 games. 95.2% was a career best. They didn't even try from 50+ yards back then. He was shakier on XPs, just 16 of 19 when he had 100% years.

Theismann, Riggins and the receivers all had a good year, but not dominant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Wash ... ason_Stats
Maybe Moseley was the default pick from the best team?
... Moseley had a much rougher time in the postseason, missing four field goals in Washington's two postseason games. But in the Washington Redskins' 27–17 victory in Super Bowl XVII over the Miami Dolphins, Moseley kicked two field goals and was successful on all three of his extra point attempts. During the following season, he led the NFL in scoring with 161 points. He also kicked the game-winning field goal in Washington's 24-21 win over the San Francisco 49ers in the (1983-84) NFC championship game, despite missing four prior attempts in the game.
Not quite Mr January, just like Lamar :doh: Moseley is still alive, age 75.

38 year old Adrian Peterson did not play in 2023, but Wiki doesn't say that he's officially retired. I think RBs usually last 3 years. Theismann and Riggins are both 74. Lawrence Taylor is 65. Retired Minnesota state Supreme Court judge, "the first African-American to serve on that court" :-|| , Alan Page is 78.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Reminds me of a story I used to tell clients when they got a bit sold on their own importance (adapted for Super Bowl):
A company had the contract to build and develop software for the machine that runs all the technology for the Super Bowl. It's the most important contract they've ever had, it's success will make or break the company. Many engineers, developers, technicians all work on it all year long. Finally it's ready to install. Forklift driver picks it up and starts crossing a pothole-filled parking lot to load into a truck. Who's the most important guy in that company right now?

O Really
Admiral

Flip-through article on "Biggest Blunders in Super Bowl History"

Guess what's number one
Spoiler:
Shoulda given the ball to Beast Mode

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/th ... 19#image=1

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:06 am

Guess what's number one
Spoiler:

Not a very good list. Wide right on a 48 yarder at #2 is hardly a blunder. Getting sacked isn't a blunder.

Couple of them, while blunders had no effect on the outcome.

And John Kasay's blundering kick off out of bounds is nowhere to be found.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:headscratch: Adele didn't say anything about Jason Kelce. It was New Heights who did that:

Dumb Headline, Parade.

Related:
https://parade.com/news/grocery-store-c ... super-bowl
NewHeights

I see your Jason cookie and raise you a Jason cookie cake

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:50 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:06 am

Guess what's number one
Spoiler:

Not a very good list. Wide right on a 48 yarder at #2 is hardly a blunder. Getting sacked isn't a blunder.

Couple of them, while blunders had no effect on the outcome.

And John Kasay's blundering kick off out of bounds is nowhere to be found.1
Agreed. I didn't write it just pasted the link. But I'd agree with #1 still

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:14 pm

:headscratch: Adele didn't say anything about Jason Kelce. It was New Heights who did that:

:lol:
New Heights is Jason and Travis' podcast.

Guess she didn't call him out by name, but it was him.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 pm
New Heights is Jason and Travis' podcast.

Guess she didn't call him out by name, but it was him.

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/statu ... 7733970210
Okay, it was him, funny, but do you think that was explained to her before she called out a ‘Drunk Football Fan’? If so, funnier.

Edit: Oh, I get it :doh: Adele called Jason a ‘Drunk Football Fan’ whether she knew it was Jason or not :lol:
1312. ETTD.