Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by O Really »

Mad American wrote: In other words she could make MORE money by not working. !
Not really. Not everyone gets the max benefit. The amount you get is based on earnings during the base period, as a percentage. The more you earned, the higher the benefit you're eligible for, up to the max.

Unless she's part time, sounds to me like your wife needs to find a better firm. Median salary for a lower level paralegal in Asheville is $42,474. For a level III, it's over $60K.
http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Para ... le-NC.aspx

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:What jobs? NC has the 47th worst unemployment rate in the nation. TN is 30th, KY is 36, SC is 39, and GA is 42.
Ya notice it's always people who have a job who say "anybody can get one"?

Mad American
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Mad American »

O Really wrote:
Vrede wrote:What jobs? NC has the 47th worst unemployment rate in the nation. TN is 30th, KY is 36, SC is 39, and GA is 42.
Ya notice it's always people who have a job who say "anybody can get one"?
Yes, a JOB...not a career, there is a difference. Thanks to the new Governor, maybe folks will start getting JOBS until they can get back into a career. I'd be willing to bet the first weeks pay I would make that I could have a JOB within a week of looking right here in Hendersonville. Might not be a $20 an hour sitting behind a desk or working an assembly line at GE but there are jobs out there. Problem is people think they are above flipping burgers or digging ditches.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mad American wrote:Problem is people think they are above flipping burgers or digging ditches.
The problem is that the cost of living is above flipping burgers or digging ditches. People out there are flipping burgers AND digging ditches and still living in poverty. They work harder and longer hours than Romney ever did, pay a higher percentage of their earnings in taxes, and STILL get declared 47%er parasites by Republicans.

O Really
Admiral

"Dig ditches?" Seriously? How old are you, and do you still plow with mules? There are no unskilled ditchdiggers. They're equipment operators. Maybe the guys holding the stop/slow signs, but the openings aren't that many.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:
Mad American wrote:Problem is people think they are above flipping burgers or digging ditches.
The problem is that the cost of living is above flipping burgers or digging ditches. People out there are flipping burgers AND digging ditches and still living in poverty. They work harder and longer hours than Romney ever did, pay a higher percentage of their earnings in taxes, and STILL get declared 47%er parasites by Republicans.
O Really wrote:"Dig ditches?" Seriously? How old are you, and do you still plow with mules? There are no unskilled ditchdiggers. They're equipment operators. Maybe the guys holding the stop/slow signs, but the openings aren't that many.
You can work at McDonald's, dig ditches on the side (since McD's won't give you FT work), do landscaping on the weekends and still not live above poverty level. That's why we have "food stamp" programs and day care assistance and shit like that. But, of course, people who refer to those folks as lazy, spoiled crackheads and welfare moms are the sort of assholes who insist that anyone can "get a job." The sort of assholes who are competely disconnected with reality. The sort of assholes who I earnestly hope and pray will get to know Karma one day, up close and personal.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede wrote:
Stop the Great Tax Shift in North Carolina

To be delivered to: The North Carolina State House, The North Carolina State Senate, and Governor Pat McCrory:
Stop shifting the tax load to middle- and low-income North Carolinians in order to fund tax cuts for the rich and corporations. Any tax reform plan must not make worse the state's already upside-down tax system.
Petition Background

The North Carolina General Assembly is proposing a great tax shift that would raise taxes on middle- and low-income North Carolinians while the wealthy and big profitable corporations get a tax cut. Current proposals would eliminate or significantly cut the personal and corporate income taxes and raise and expand the sales tax. This is not tax reform but a great tax shift.

They are already making headway in their effort. Just this week they voted to raise taxes on 900,000 low-income working families who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, while repealing the estate tax - which affects less than 123 estates valued at more than $5.25 million.
You know, the cons constantly complain about taxes, but supposedly they are the only ones that really work, and since they make the big money and run big businesses their taxes have been the ones consistently lowered.

I'm starting to think that they are really low-income (since their taxes are increasing), however they are high income wannabes because whenever they do make millionaire status (never), they want to pay less taxes.

So yeah, I'm calling bullshit on most conservatives.

I mean, the only other option is... "Look at me, I'm a rich entitled douche, I shouldn't be taxed.... tax the pleebs instead!".

:twisted:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Stop the Great Tax Shift in North Carolina

To be delivered to: The North Carolina State House, The North Carolina State Senate, and Governor Pat McCrory:
Stop shifting the tax load to middle- and low-income North Carolinians in order to fund tax cuts for the rich and corporations. Any tax reform plan must not make worse the state's already upside-down tax system.
Petition Background

The North Carolina General Assembly is proposing a great tax shift that would raise taxes on middle- and low-income North Carolinians while the wealthy and big profitable corporations get a tax cut. Current proposals would eliminate or significantly cut the personal and corporate income taxes and raise and expand the sales tax. This is not tax reform but a great tax shift.

They are already making headway in their effort. Just this week they voted to raise taxes on 900,000 low-income working families who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, while repealing the estate tax - which affects less than 123 estates valued at more than $5.25 million.
I signed the petition as I don't want my NC property taxes and sales taxes to go up. If by chance it passes, I will move my residency to North Carolina when I retire. :lol:

:mrgreen:

O Really
Admiral

So I'm driving from Tampa to Orlando today, and have no audio book, no i-Pod, and no satellite radio on the rental car and find myself looking for something on the radio. It's beyond me why anybody - in any demographic - actually listens to radio anymore. But I had never heard a Glen Beck show. I had heard excerpts or quotes, of course, and although I believed him to be a total loon, I always assumed the quotes and excerpts were intended to make him look as idiotic as possible. Wrong! The guy is totally nuts. In the half-hour or so I kept him on, he totally lied about or misrepresented everything he said - about things easily debunked! He took unrelated incidents in different locations and told the story as if "there's a girl being raped down the hall and school administration is investigating a complaint about somebody being afraid of a picture of a gun!" Unbelievable - literally. And there's people out there who believe him, think he's telling "the truth" - and they can vote and breed. Really makes me re-think my life-long belief and defense of the First Amendment. :shock:

bannination
Captain

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

It's always good to know that all the more important things are taken care of by the teabagger fucktards in the statehouse, leaving them free to bring all their attention to bear on stupid bullshit like this.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:
Save Democracy in North Carolina

To be delivered to: The North Carolina State House and Governor Pat McCrory
Do the right thing and stop H.B. 451. We cannot have an open and fair democracy if you destroy judicial independence and stifle the voice of the voters.
Petition Background

Governor McCrory and the North Carolina House has introduced legislation titled H.B. 451 that can be construed as nothing but a blatant attack on democracy. Not only would this bill destroy North Carolina's judicial public financing system -- a model for the nation -- but it would also eliminate same day registration, Sunday voting, and a full week of early voting.

This is politics at its most cynical -- politicians attempting to stifle the voice of the voters with blatantly partisan attacks.

And now, at a time when voters are looking for answers to the influx of big money in elections, we should be looking for ways to reduce the influence of special interests not increase their power.

Don't let these attacks on democracy go unanswered. Add your name to the petition and tell the Governor and the State Legislature to do the right thing and stop H.B. 451.
Sounds like your governor's trying to out-stupid my governor. The biggest issue with this is voter suppression. Maybe North Carolina will have people standing in line six hours to vote in 2016. Florida (and our Freddie-Kruger-lookalike governor) have supposedly gone back and undone the damage they did shrinking early voting. We'll see.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

PopeHat: Are Harry Warren And Carl Ford Oathbreakers, Or Merely Dangerous Cranks?
You've probably been wondering. It's a valid question. Fortunately, I'm here to answer it for you.

The Constitution of the great State of North Carolina has this to say about North Carolina's standing with respect to the United States.....

[...]

Representatives Warren and Ford, I submit, are oathbreakers. By introducing the Rowan County, North Carolina Defense of Religion Act of 2013, they have violated their oaths to support the Constitutions of the United States, and North Carolina.

The remedy for "malpractice in office," under the North Carolina Constitution, is impeachment.

Jesus Christ, in whose name Warren and Ford wish to establish a State Religion in North Carolina, had this to say about oaths....

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Pat Robertson: "simple, humble" foreigners get miracles because they aren't corrupted by education and science
Pat Robertson scores a "Christ, what an asshole" prize here, in which he explains that the reason that "simple, humble" Africans and other foreigners experience miracles is that they are free from the sin of over-education. As Charles Johnson has it, this is "the wingnut trifecta... anti-intellectual, anti-science and patronizingly racist."

bannination
Captain

More legislation from the Republican Nutjobbers in NC: (All shamelessly copied from PZMYERS http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/page/4/)

North Carolina Republicans have just introduced another of their morality bills.
(a) Marriages may be dissolved and the parties thereto divorced from the bonds of matrimony on the application of either party, if and when the party upon satisfying the following requirements before filing for divorce under this section:

(1) The husband and wife have lived separate and apart for one year,and themet a two‑year waiting period. The spouse seeking the divorce shall give a written notice of intent to file for divorce to the other spouse at the beginning of the two‑year waiting period. The notice of intent shall be properly acknowledged in accordance with Chapter 10B of the General Statutes. During the two‑year waiting period, there is no requirement that the husband and wife live separate and apart.

(2) During the two‑year waiting period, the husband and wife have each completed courses on (i) improving communication skills and (ii) conflict resolution. Courses required by this subdivision do not have to be completed together as a couple.

(3) If a couple has a child, the husband and wife have each completed a course of at least four hours on the impact of divorce on children.

(b) Upon satisfying the requirements under subsection (a) of this section, a husband and wife may proceed with an action for divorce by submitting to the court evidence that (i) the requirements of subsection (a) of this section have been satisfied and (ii) the plaintiff or defendant in the suit for divorce has resided in the State for a period of six months.months prior to filing for divorce. A divorce under this section shall not be barred to either party by any defense or plea based upon any provision of G.S. 50‑7, a plea of res judicata, or a plea of recrimination. Notwithstanding the provisions of G.S. 50‑11, or of the common law, a divorce under this section shall not affect the rights of a dependent spouse with respect to alimony which have been asserted in the action or any other pending action.

Whether there has been a resumption of marital relations during the period of separation shall be determined pursuant to G.S. 52‑10.2. Isolated incidents of sexual intercourse between the parties shall not toll the statutory period required for divorce predicated on separation of one year."
You don’t have to take classes to get married or have children, and they aren’t imposing a two year waiting period on marriages. I think they’re missing a trick here.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

bannination wrote:. . . I think they’re missing a trick here.
They miss a whole lotta tricks. Most of them, in fact.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:
bannination wrote:More legislation from the Republican Nutjobbers in NC: (All shamelessly copied from PZMYERS http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/page/4/)

North Carolina Republicans have just introduced another of their morality bills.

You don’t have to take classes to get married or have children, and they aren’t imposing a two year waiting period on marriages. I think they’re missing a trick here.
Looks like abused wives may have to exercise their "stand your ground" option more often.
Sounds like something sponsored by the North Carolina Undertakers Association to try and drum up more business.

bannination
Captain

Sounds like he still doesn't get it..... "I only meant to....."

:roll:

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Our Teabagger legislature has been into that crap for a couple of years now. We had a head start, but I admire the effort your legislature is putting forth in a valiant attempt to catch up. We had a real head start on "stupid," but your guys are going to catch up in one session, it looks like.

A lot of pent up stupidity being loosed in Raleigh.

All the voter legislation is an attempt to improve on our minority voter suppression. It worked in Florida, but not enough to swing the state for Rmoney.

Current Republican strategy: We are right, so if we can't win playing by the rules, we'll just change the rules. At least you guys haven't gone to the Ohio/Pennsylvania/Virginia method of simply stealing electoral votes and disenfranchising millions of your own citizens.

A lot of the education reform nonsense comes courtesy of our own Jeb Bush. He has a $20 million foundation pushing his stupidity, backed by people who will benefit financially from the privatization of education. His brother Neil was raking in state money for online stuff when Jebbie was governor. No conflict of interest there. Jebbie is still pulling the strings down here in Florida, and he's still pissed a public school teachers -- and the teachers union, especially -- for thwarting all his reforms when he was in office.

There's no evidence to support that charter schools being better than public schools, and little to support the idea of "failing schools" or "bad" teachers, but the teabaggers take all this as tenets of their religion and go around proposing solutions in search of a problem.

Our illustrious Head Dumbass (Governor Scott) actually used his brain cell and stated that charter schools and charter school students -- recipients of taxpayer moneys -- should have to meet the same accountability requirements -- i.e. test scores, etc. -- as public schools, teachers, and students. I mean, since they are receiving those tax dollars. I thought that Scott had better check in with Jebbie to get his talking points straight. Jebbie calls the shots. "Accountabilty? We don't need no accountability. Not for charter schools."

There have actually been articles written about how education is becoming a "growth industry" for investors. This is teabagger education policy. Who knows? Maybe Rmoney will be sailing into it one of these days.

O Really
Admiral

Whatever happened to governors and legislators (of both parties) who identified themselves with worthwhile major issues like education, roads, industrial recruitment, etc. To use a North Carloina Republican example, there was Holshouser, the first Republican governor since 18-hundred something, whose accomplishments in office include consolidation of the University of North Carolina system under a Board of Governors, capital improvement funding for the community college system, statewide enrollment for kindergarten and establishment of health clinics in rural areas not served by local physicians. Nothing in the record about challenging Jimmy Carter's birth certificate or eligibility to be President despite rumours that Carter was actually born in Georgia.