The Wall

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Wall

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I remember seeing the Frito Bandito on tv singing his song. In black and white.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:08 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:47 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:10 pm
So wrong...

Oh, at first I thought you'd posted "so long" and that I'd no longer have to ask "why are you still here?" but it looks like I was wrong. Now tell how my border security policy is deficient. I've got guns, cameras, drones, people, horses, utility vehicles, and motivated agents collected from the local community and elsewhere. Please let us all know how possibly catching a fence crawler, digger, or jumper and killing him with a shovel is better than seeing the same one sneaking around trying not to get caught, thinking he's successful, and then being apprehended hours later. That's better for everybody. Except you.
The cartoon drawing is wrong because it's a racist caricature of a Mexican.

It's was known as the Frito Bandito, you see, and the American company that makes Fritos used to advertise with it.

I haven't read his reply, but I would not be surprised if V2 went all medieval on me about even posting the cartoon drawing, accusing me of all sort of wrong stuff. Well, as usual, V2 would be wrong there. And frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what V2 writes, thinks, or says.

Because V2 is so wrong.

As, apparently, is you, neo.

Why are you still here?
If the cartoon is so wrong, why did you search it out and post it here? Think about it.

Mid 20th century advertising was notoriously insensitive. Didn't you know that without searching out a favorite of yours?

You don't have to worry about Vrede too ridiculing things you post; we all do it. Hell, because of you, it's become the dominant activity on here. Haven't you noticed?

Ignored

Ignored

Ignored
You make several wrong assumptions:

1) That I searched for it. I didn't. It just appeared in my news feed.

2) Because I didn't search for it, I'm not aware of exactly when the Frito Bandito cartoon was thrust upon the nation. Since you apparently have researched it, I'll take your word for it. But, if you did search for it, why did you?

3) You draw the wrong conclusion, as usual, that the Frito Bandito was a favorite of mine. Maybe you're just projecting?

4) I can't help it if your life and intellect is so empty that you spend so much time attempting to ridicule me. It is far more damning of you all than it is of me. Thiink about, CUCK.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:33 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
So wrong...

Oh, at first I thought you'd posted "so long" and that I'd no longer have to ask "why are you still here?" but it looks like I was wrong. Now tell how my border security policy is deficient. I've got guns, cameras, drones, people, horses, utility vehicles, and motivated agents collected from the local community and elsewhere. Please let us all know how possibly catching a fence crawler, digger, or jumper and killing him with a shovel is better than seeing the same one sneaking around trying not to get caught, thinking he's successful, and then being apprehended hours later. That's better for everybody. Except you.

It's was known as the Frito Bandito, you see, and the American company that makes Fritos used to advertise with it.

I haven't read his reply, but I would not be surprised if V2 went all medieval on me about even posting the cartoon drawing, accusing me of all sort of wrong stuff. Well, as usual, V2 would be wrong there. And frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what V2 writes, thinks, or says.

Because V2 is so wrong.

Why are you still here?
If the cartoon is so wrong, why did you search it out and post it here? Think about it.

Mid 20th century advertising was notoriously insensitive. Didn't you know that without searching out a favorite of yours?

You don't have to worry about Vrede too ridiculing things you post; we all do it. Hell, because of you, it's become the dominant activity on here. Haven't you noticed?

Ignored

Ignored

Ignored

2) Because I didn't search for it, I'm not aware of exactly when the Frito Bandito cartoon was thrust upon the nation. Since you apparently have researched it, I'll take your word for it. But, if you did search for it, why did you?

3) You draw the wrong conclusion, as usual, that the Frito Bandito was a favorite of mine. Maybe you're just projecting?

4) I can't help it if your life and intellect is so empty that you spend so much time attempting to ridicule me. It is far more damning of you all than it is of me. Thiink about, CUCK.
Says the idiot who posted the Mexican caricature.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:22 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Racist stereotyping is what Useless does:
viewtopic.php?p=153228#p153228
Useless was desperately trying to prove that he's woke, but was incapable of formulating a thought about the actual topic, the wall.

Ignored

Ignored

Ignored
:lol:
Cower, Useless, cower.
Ulysses wrote:
( :crybaby: )
... Since you apparently have researched it, I'll take your word for it. But, if you did search for it, why did you?
Pay attention:
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:26 pm
I remember seeing the Frito Bandito on tv singing his song. In black and white.
Ulysses wrote:
(post: more :crybaby: )
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
So wrong...

Because V2 is so wrong.

Why are you still here?

Ignored

Ignored

Ignored

You make several wrong conclusions, and this may be a new record.

1. Whether you searched for it or not, you put it here. And confessing to subscribing to a news feed of racist bullshit doesn't surprise me. And to preempt you about the issue of subscription, the fact that you may not pay for this bullshit makes little difference. It's still the bullshit you seek out and promote.

2. He appeared in the early 60's I'd guess. I didn't research him; I just mentioned that I remember seeing him on tv singing his corn chip song when I was a kid. To answer your question about why I know this, I fucking saw it on tv. I didn't have to research it or resurrect it fifty years later like you did.

3. You brought him here. I didn't. Deal with it.

4. That's ok. I don't spend much time at all on it and it's easy to do. Besides, you do all you can to encourage it other than sending out invitations. Besides that, I don't want to spend too much time ridiculing you; I want to let others do it as well.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Apparently Neo was too stoned out of his gourd to notice that I posted "So wrong" to describe the Frito Bandito cartoon. What about "So" and "Wrong" does he not grasp? Will have to add them to his long sad list of misapprehensions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:48 pm
(even more :crybaby: )
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:38 pm
Mexican "racist caricature". Useless' own words.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Apparently Neo was too stoned out of his gourd to notice that I posted "So wrong" to describe the Frito Bandito cartoon. What about "So" and "Wrong" does he not grasp? Will have to add them to his long sad list of misapprehensions.
Once again, if it's "so wrong" why did you feel compelled to perpetuate it? The Frito Bandito was never part of this until you made him part of it. Why can't you understand that? You could have written your disdain for him in a post without posting an alleged cartoon of him. The one you posted is not the same character I remember from my childhood. You've probably dredged up a version of him from the early 80's that was rejected as stupid and out of touch. I'm not surprised.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:52 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Once again, if it's "so wrong" why did you feel compelled to perpetuate it? The Frito Bandito was never part of this until you made him part of it. Why can't you understand that? You could have written your disdain for him in a post without posting an alleged cartoon of him. The one you posted is not the same character I remember from my childhood. You've probably dredged up a version of him from the early 80's that was rejected as stupid and out of touch. I'm not surprised.
Are you so stoned all the time you cannot comprehend why anyone would want to post an example of what is wrong?

What is wrong with you?

Instead of agreeing that the caricature is wrong, you decided to attack me instead.

What is wrong with you?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:51 pm
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
So he did it, but attacked others for it.

Got it.

Next he'll be blaming neo or you for murdering his hummingbird.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:53 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:52 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Are you so stoned all the time you cannot comprehend why anyone would want to post an example of what is wrong?

What is wrong with you?

Instead of agreeing that the caricature is wrong, you decided to attack me instead.

What is wrong with you?
No matter how stoned i am I've never been unable to recognize what's wrong. In fact, being stoned is often an advantage in being able to know what's wrong.

I don't have enough money or women.

No, we've all agreed the character is fucked up. Attacking you is just a fringe benefit that you consistently insist on providing. Deal with it.

Not enough money or women.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:53 pm
Since we're apparently doing offensive non sequiturs now:

So wrong...

What is wrong with you?
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

No, the fact that you feel you don't have enough money or women doesn't indicate anything it wrong. It indicates the correctness of most women and those who have money.

And here's an image I found of neo. I did have to search for it:

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Nope, "Frito Bandito" was not a "racist caricature of Mexicans" - he was a caricature of a specific type of Mexican person, mostly Pancho Villa. So you can criticize the cheapening of a person who was once a bandit and became a revolutionary, but "Frito" was not intended to represent the typical Mexican any more than Home Simpson represents the typical American. And yes, they really did wear big hats, ammo belts, and mustaches.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Nope, "Frito Bandito" was not a "racist caricature of Mexicans" - he was a caricature of a specific type of Mexican person, mostly Pancho Villa. So you can criticize the cheapening of a person who was once a bandit and became a revolutionary, but "Frito" was not intended to represent the typical Mexican any more than Home Simpson represents the typical American. And yes, they really did wear big hats, ammo belts, and mustaches.
If your point is that Useless fucked up describing his own post and thus made it even more irrelevant than it already was, you'll get no argument from me.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:37 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
If your point is that Useless fucked up describing his own post and thus made it even more irrelevant than it already was, you'll get no argument from me.
Yeah, I suppose so - but also that something may be culturally obsolete but not necessarily evil. "Frito Bandito" was no "Little Black Sambo"

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I remember that book from when I was a little kid. Sambo enticed a tiger to run around in circles around a tree and ran so fast he turned into butter. The whole thing was stupid and crazy. At the time I thought "what the fuck is this shit?"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:37 pm
O Really wrote:
Yeah, I suppose so - but also that something may be culturally obsolete but not necessarily evil. "Frito Bandito" was no "Little Black Sambo"
Fwiw, I wrote Useless' post off as being "gibberish" from the get-go and thus never bothered to offer my own opinion on the content. However, as is often the case, your discussion piqued my curiosity.

First, the character was only around for 4 years. I would have guessed much longer.
Frito Bandito

History

The Frito Bandito character was developed by the advertising firm Foote, Cone & Belding and launched by Frito-Lay in 1967. Actor Mel Blanc provided the character's voice, while the animation was directed by Tex Avery. The character was a stereotypical Mexican revolutionary with a sombrero, handlebar moustache and thick accent consistent with images of Pancho Villa. He carried two pistols and robbed people of their Fritos corn chips at gunpoint....
I find the confounding of revolution with banditry to be personally offensive. ;)
Frito-Lay was one of several American companies that featured Mexican revolutionaries in its advertising during the late 1960s—others included the Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company, the Elgin Watch Company, and American Motors. In 1968, two Mexican-American advocacy groups were founded in opposition to the use of ethnic stereotypes in advertising: the National Mexican-American Anti-Defamation Committee (NMAADC) in Washington, D.C. and the Involvement of Mexican-Americans in Gainful Endeavors (IMAGE) in San Antonio, Texas. In response from pressure from the groups, Frito-Lay modified the character to appear more friendly. The gold tooth and beard were also removed. Following the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, the Bandito no longer brandished pistols.
A bandit without pistols? Weird. Did he still have his bandoliers?
Despite the controversy, Frito-Lay stood by the character. The company cited a survey of four cities in California and Texas conducted by Foote, Cone & Belding which found that 85% of Mexican Americans liked the Frito Bandito. In response, IMAGE and NMAADC shifted their protests to local television stations that aired Bandito commercials. In 1969, KPIX and KRON in San Francisco, California and KNBC in Los Angeles became the first stations to ban the character. Groups also lobbied the Federal Communications Commission for free air time to respond to the Frito Bandito under the fairness doctrine.

Frito-Lay introduced a new cartoon mascot in 1969: W.C. Fritos (based on comedian W.C. Fields). By July 1970, the company had stopped airing Bandito commercials in the states of California, Oregon and Washington, replacing them with ads featuring a group of cartoon Euro-American cowboy outlaws known as Muncha Buncha. Frito-Lay ended the Frito Bandito campaign in 1971.
Funny, I don't remember either.

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I was thinking the Frito Bandito was about five years earlier than it actually was. I must have been getting stoned as a kid, too. But I never started doing that until about 1969.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Leave it to Oddball to derail a thread by posting a Useless non sequitur and then getting butthurt about it.

Another day.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.