The Wall

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

The Wall

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Kinda thought this idiotic topic deserved it's own thread to separate it from Yellowstain's other idiocy.

Soooo, not that we needed any more proof or evidence of how misguided and purely political the "peaches" wall will be, we get this:

Traffickers at the El Chapo trial say drugs aren't smuggled through open parts of the border

What I'm not understanding, is why dems are not screaming this and DHS numbers from rooftops every day and all day. Its the only message they need.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

bannination
Captain

Re: The Wall

Unread post by bannination »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm
Kinda thought this idiotic topic deserved it's own thread to separate it from Yellowstain's other idiocy.

Soooo, not that we needed any more proof or evidence of how misguided and purely political the "peaches" wall will be, we get this:

Traffickers at the El Chapo trial say drugs aren't smuggled through open parts of the border

What I'm not understanding, is why dems are not screaming this and DHS numbers from rooftops every day and all day. Its the only message they need.
I mean, I've heard that several times so I think it's being said. It's just fear makes better news, especially to the wing-nuts who are scared of their own shadow.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

bannination wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:35 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

I mean, I've heard that several times so I think it's being said. It's just fear makes better news, especially to the wing-nuts who are scared of their own shadow.
Kind of my point, you've heard it being said @onion15@ , SCREAM it as loudly @onion7@ as the wingnuts. Fight fire with some sort of fire 🔥. This is is why dems lose, pubs are way better at a pissing contest.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

bannination
Captain

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm
bannination wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:35 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

Kind of my point, you've heard it being said @onion15@ , SCREAM it as loudly @onion7@ as the wingnuts. Fight fire with some sort of fire 🔥. This is is why dems lose, pubs are way better at a pissing contest.
Looking it in a positive light, that's pretty hard evidence democrats do not own the "mainstream media" like all the idiots proclaim.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:

Fight fire with some sort of fire 🔥. This is is why dems lose, pubs are way better at a pissing contest.
Reminds me of an old lawyer joke, that looks like it would apply to the Republicans.

Why are lawyers better than rats for lab tests?
1. There are more lawyers than rats
2. Lab techs feel sorry for the rats when they die
3. There are some things a rat just won't do.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Looking it in a positive light, that's pretty hard evidence democrats do not own the "mainstream media" like all the idiots proclaim.
I've heard it quite often - ABC (?) report on most drugs coming through the ports of entry, with video of car hiding spaces, just last night. It's tricky choosing which of Dolt .45's lies to scream and pound the table over. Plus, I'm not sure that most of his base cares whether the filthy furriners have drugs on their backs or not.

Silver lining - all of this is a continuation of the Fall's immigrant hysteria that utterly flopped on election day.

Aside - I did not know that those are "onion" emojis. I thought they were cats.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I wish. My Senators are Alexander and Marsha Blackburn, an old school wingnut and a batshit crazy new one respectively.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm
I wish. My Senators are Alexander and Marsha Blackburn, an old school wingnut and a batshit crazy new one respectively.
Yeah, NC's aren't going to openly join the resistance, either, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes to end the immediate stupidity.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I would be willing to bet that what's going on behind the scenes is feverish attempts to put forth yet more intense stupidity.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, NC's aren't going to openly join the resistance, either, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes to end the immediate stupidity.
Alexander is a family friend. I got in a lot of shit once or twice or actually a bunch of times for laughing at him for his walk across the state in a flannel shirt and at all the idiots who fell for it.

Do you remember Blanton? I started a thread about him. Until trump, his was the worse corruption I had ever seen.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

bannination
Captain

Signed, thanks

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Alexander is a family friend. I got in a lot of shit once or twice or actually a bunch of times for laughing at him for his walk across the state in a flannel shirt and at all the idiots who fell for it.

Do you remember Blanton? I started a thread about him. Until trump, his was the worse corruption I had ever seen.
I grew up in TN but was away from 84 to 15. I was pretty apolitical in my youth and only really became politically active much later....my youthful politics tended toward hippie type stuff....I was an admirer of SDS, SNCC, CORE, and even Abbie Hoffman's Youth International Party.....mostly for fun and outrage against the squares. I do remember TN Senator Baker during the Watergate affair; he had class. Also, Senator Sam Ervin of NC.....you fuckers won't see a guy like him again soon. I don't recall Blanton other than the name; he was probably incumbent when I was against them all. Oh, forgot to mention my mom went to high school with our long time local congressman James Quillen and when I was lax in writing letters home while in the navy, one day the CO asked to see me and told me that he'd gotten a call from a congressman in TN asking me why in the hell I hadn't been writing any letters lately; this was while I was in Japan in early 75. So I picked up the pace on letter writing after that. I never knew Alexander or anyone else named Lamar.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm
or anyone else named Lamar.
Well, there was Hedley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDm3zCvN4ao

And of course, Hedy

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Good lord, how could I have forgotten Hedley Lamar? I stand corrected. I also knew of Hedy but never actually knew them. Hey, Larry! Hey, Moe!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

I grew up in TN but was away from 84 to 15. I was pretty apolitical in my youth and only really became politically active much later....my youthful politics tended toward hippie type stuff....I was an admirer of SDS, SNCC, CORE, and even Abbie Hoffman's Youth International Party.....mostly for fun and outrage against the squares. I do remember TN Senator Baker during the Watergate affair; he had class. Also, Senator Sam Ervin of NC.....you fuckers won't see a guy like him again soon. I don't recall Blanton other than the name; he was probably incumbent when I was against them all. Oh, forgot to mention my mom went to high school with our long time local congressman James Quillen and when I was lax in writing letters home while in the navy, one day the CO asked to see me and told me that he'd gotten a call from a congressman in TN asking me why in the hell I hadn't been writing any letters lately; this was while I was in Japan in early 75. So I picked up the pace on letter writing after that. I never knew Alexander or anyone else named Lamar.

Here's a little taste of what you missed

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/forum/vi ... ton#p84997
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Brown Introduces Legislation to Protect Federal Workers from Losing Homes, Falling behind on Bills during Trump’s Shutdown
Senator Says Federal Workers and Their Families Should not have to Face Foreclosures, Evictions, or Loan Defaults due to President Trump’s Temper Tantrum

Thursday, January 10, 2019

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) today joined a group of Senators in introducing the Federal Employee Civil Relief Act. This legislation would protect federal workers and their families from foreclosures, evictions, and loan defaults during a government shutdown. The bill addresses the real threat of federal workers losing their homes, falling behind on student loans and other bills, having their car repossessed, or losing their health insurance because they have been furloughed during a shutdown or required to work without pay. This legislation will prohibit landlords and creditors from taking action against federal workers or contractors who are hurt by the government shutdown and unable to pay rent or repay loans. The bill would also empower federal workers to sue creditors or landlords that violate this protection.

“Workers and their families should not have to face losing their homes or defaulting on loans because of President Trump’s temper tantrum. President Trump is hurting the people who make this country work, and he needs to do his job and reopen the government right now. This legislation will help ease suffering among workers impacted by this unnecessary and avoidable shutdown,” said Senator Brown.

The Federal Employee Civil Relief Act would safeguard workers impacted by a shutdown from the following:

Being evicted or foreclosed;
Having their car or other property repossessed;
Falling behind in student loan payments;
Falling behind in paying bills; or
Losing their insurance because of missed premiums.

The protection would last during and 30 days following a shutdown to give workers a chance to keep up with their bills. The partial government shutdown, now in its third week, hurts more than 800,000 federal workers in all 50 states....
Protect federal workers from Trump's shutdown (petition)

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm
bannination wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
... It's tricky choosing which of Dolt .45's lies to scream and pound the table over. Plus, I'm not sure that most of his base cares whether the filthy furriners have drugs on their backs or not....
For example:
Poll shows federal workers don't prefer a border wall to getting paid

President Trump has claimed repeatedly that most federal workers support his tactic of shutting down the government to enforce his demand for a border wall — including those directly affected by it. But a new poll of government employees shows that few actually do.

According to the survey conducted by the Government Business Council and GovExec.com and released Tuesday, 71 percent of federal workers oppose the shutdown, compared to just 21 percent who support it. Just 34 percent of federal employees surveyed support Trump’s demand for funding for the wall, while 56 percent oppose it. And of those workers against the wall, more than 80 percent say they are strongly opposed to it....
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

(Tillis response)

Dear Mr. Bannination

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the partial government shutdown. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, on December 19, 2018, the Senate passed a continuing resolution to temporarily fund the government until February 8, 2019. However, this measure was not considered by the House of Representatives, as President Trump stated he would not sign the legislation if his request of $5.6 billion for border security was not included. Subsequently, the House of Representatives considered a spending bill which included President Trump's request for funds to update physical barriers and infrastructure along the border. This updated spending bill was then sent back to the Senate for consideration, but failed to gain the support needed from my colleagues on the other side of the aisle.

On December 22, 2018, twenty-five percent of the federal government had a lapse of funding and shutdown. In an effort to keep the government open, I voted for both spending bills considered in the Senate; however, the inability to not reach a bipartisan consensus on this commonsense issue has resulted in a partial government shutdown. I am disappointed to see that my colleagues, many of who have voted for border security funding in the past, could not support President Trump's reasonable request. The funding request would have updated existing infrastructure and allow for additional security at some of our most dangerous spots along the border.

With that said, throughout 2018, Congress has worked on a bipartisan basis to pass appropriations bills that fund 75% of the federal government. These appropriation bills include funding for the Department of Defense, Energy and Water Development, Military Construction-Veterans Affairs, the Legislative Branch, and Labor, Health, and Human Services, and Education. These measures alone fund $900 billion out of a $1.2 trillion budget and together mark the most spending bills enacted on time in over two decades.

While I am happy to see that Congress is getting back into the habit of passing appropriations bills on time in order to fulfill its duties, it is critical that Republicans and Democrats work together to reach a compromise to re-open the government as soon as possible. Please know providing long-term appropriations bills for the portion of the government that is currently not funded is very important to me, and I will continue to be engaged on this issue to ensure there is a path forward.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is the longest government shutdown in US history. With no federal food safety inspections, limited access to USDA loan programs for farmers, and climate and environmental research at a standstill, our food system — and all of us — are at risk. Our health and safety are on the line. And for what? We don’t need a border wall. We do need a safe, fair, and just food system for all.

Urge Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to end the shutdown, today.
1312. ETTD.