Brexidiocy

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Brexidiocy

Unread post by Vrede too »

I know that we've discussed it elsewhere, most recently in 2020 Elections, but it seems like this clusterfuck will last long enough to be its own topic.
Burger King's tweet banned by the UK for encouraging 'anti-social behaviour' (with videos)

... Burger King is the latest big brand to take the heat on Twitter after the ASA (the Advertising Standards Authority) in the UK banned a May 2018 tweet from the fast food chain for being ‘irresponsible.’

The reasoning behind it?

The tweet allegedly incited reckless behavior in the form of encouraging people to throw milkshakes at politicians.

Yes, you read that correctly — Here’s the full scoop (pun-intended!)

Back in May 2019, it became a 'thing' to hurl milkshakes at politicians in the UK during the height of Brexit discussions -- Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage and activist Tommy Robinson infamously fell victim to these said 'milkshaking' attacks.

Police had encouraged (and succeeded) in having a McDonald's location in Edinburgh, Scottland ban the sale of milkshakes in an attempt to stop potential customers from buying milkshakes and hurling them at Farage who was in Edinburgh for a rally.

In true rival fashion, Burger King tongue-in-cheek subtweeted McDonald's in the since-deleted post above....

Our hearts go out to all of the milkshaking victims involved in this difficult, sticky time.
:lol: :!:

I'll be buying a Burger King milkshake in honor of direct action.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Brexidiocy

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Perhaps hurling bricks would get the point across more explicitly....Brickxit, bam, and you're out.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sadly, Brexit Day has finally come. The fall of Great Britain is near.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am
Sadly, Brexit Day has finally come. The fall of Great Britain is near.
One aspect is a trade deal with the US. It won't be as easy as one might think. We're likely to pressure the UK on things like GMOs, drug pricing, enviro regulation, etc. It will have to decide whether to succumb to our demands or stay aligned with the EU standards, but without the EU's backing anymore.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I find this very sad. It's not the first time England has had bad leadership that did awful things, but this was sooooo avoidable. And sooooo stupid.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:05 pm
I find this very sad. It's not the first time England has had bad leadership that did awful things, but this was sooooo avoidable. And sooooo stupid.
I wonder how long until they try to undo it and at what cost?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:02 am
O Really wrote:
I'm guessing at least 5-7 years, maybe. It will be the rest of this year before anything much starts changing, then a couple or so years for everything to climb into the handbasket, then whenever another general election, then working out renewed agreements. Nevermind the broader economic or political aspects - just look at the day to day hits of the lives of regular Brits. Now, they have open trade with 27 countries, can travel to all of them, live and work in any of them, all without restriction. It's like living in the US except you've got real countries instead of states. Now they'll be outside looking in, needing a passport to ride the Chunnel.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Reminds me of another country.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:02 am
O Really wrote:
"Leading Lib Dem leadership contender says party could start 'rejoin EU' campaign within 11 months"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/layla-moran- ... 11441.html

We can wish them well in their efforts.

Limier than most
Red Shirt

Unread post by Limier than most »

It wasn't only milkshakes. People were throwing eggs and sometimes flour.

A serious business.

Someone could get battered.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Limier than most wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:31 pm

A serious business.

:lol:

It's a slippery slope, literally. Next thing you know they'll be icing pols.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

-0-?

UK unveils 'iconic,' blue post-Brexit passports, made by a French-Dutch company in Poland

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/22/uk/brexi ... index.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I've read stuff that puts forth the idea that Putin and his army of trolls and bots played a not insignificant role in getting Britain to leave the EU. If so, they've certainly succeeded. And if true, I figure the next target of the Putin troll army will be getting France or any other member state to leave NATO. France and Germany both have a lot of Muslim immigrants due to the upheavals in Iraq and Syria and Libya. The Russian troll and bot army have spent considerable effort to stoke disunity with the notion that Muslim immigration in Western Europe is some kind of assault on Christianity. The rise of neo fascist politicians in France, Italy, and even England lend credence to this, but it could just be ancillary effect of trump. The Breivick guy who killed all those kids in Norway a few years ago was a disciple of this sort of idea. It all makes me wonder over it, and also makes me think back to when Bob Dylan said "there's something happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you Mr Jones?"

Limier than most
Red Shirt

Unread post by Limier than most »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 pm
I've read stuff that puts forth the idea that Putin and his army of trolls and bots played a not insignificant role in getting Britain to leave the EU. If so, they've certainly succeeded. And if true, I figure the next target of the Putin troll army will be getting France or any other member state to leave NATO. France and Germany both have a lot of Muslim immigrants due to the upheavals in Iraq and Syria and Libya. The Russian troll and bot army have spent considerable effort to stoke disunity with the notion that Muslim immigration in Western Europe is some kind of assault on Christianity. The rise of neo fascist politicians in France, Italy, and even England lend credence to this, but it could just be ancillary effect of trump. The Breivick guy who killed all those kids in Norway a few years ago was a disciple of this sort of idea. It all makes me wonder over it, and also makes me think back to when Bob Dylan said "there's something happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you Mr Jones?"

The main body of Muslim residents in France, as in UK, is as a result of Empire, rather than recent immigration.

In neither case is the EU or any other transnational body relevant.

However, a constant theme in the Brexit campaign was reducing immigration, and this was confused between freedom of movement for EU citizens (under 5% of whom are Muslim) and "islamification" - largely a right wing fantasy.

German muslim residents are overwhelmingly Turkish heritage, again because of historic links, although Germany now hosts many refugees.

Refugees do not have rights of free movement in Europe.

These simple points were relentlessly distorted or lied about online during the Brexit debate, and some of the main "leave" campaign members are strongly linked to Russian money or influence.

We may find out more once the chief beneficiary of Brexit, our PM Mr. Johnson, releases the report on this that was withheld before our general election which he won on a Brexit ticket.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 48446.html

When it's released we will read it with interest.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

FWIW, some sort of perverse credit needs to be given to Putin, Johnson the Agent Orange sycophants. Information wars are apparently much easier to win, way more effective and infinitely more cost effective than a conventional shoot em out.

And to date, there doesn't seem to be a counter strategy to lead the sheep back to the pen.

The internet seems to need a good border collie.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Limier than most wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:08 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 pm

The main body of Muslim residents in France, as in UK, is as a result of Empire, rather than recent immigration.

In neither case is the EU or any other transnational body relevant.

However, a constant theme in the Brexit campaign was reducing immigration, and this was confused between freedom of movement for EU citizens (under 5% of whom are Muslim) and "islamification" - largely a right wing fantasy.

German muslim residents are overwhelmingly Turkish heritage, again because of historic links, although Germany now hosts many refugees.

Refugees do not have rights of free movement in Europe.

These simple points were relentlessly distorted or lied about online during the Brexit debate, and some of the main "leave" campaign members are strongly linked to Russian money or influence.

We may find out more once the chief beneficiary of Brexit, our PM Mr. Johnson, releases the report on this that was withheld before our general election which he won on a Brexit ticket.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 48446.html

When it's released we will read it with interest.
Thanks for the additional info; my main point to make was that Putin has as his goal to break up the alliances that have existed in Europe and here since 1945 and one of the main focuses of those efforts is to stoke fear of immigrants, cloaking it in a religious or "lost culture" sort of context and it resonates with a lot of people there. Hell, it resonated with enough people here to elect trump.....convincing people they are imminent victims of some undefined, vague menace or threat tends to motivate the masses, especially the more gullible. I think we're in for a hell of a ride.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Limier than most wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:31 pm

A serious business.

David Davis’s ridiculous Brexiteer arguments just came back to haunt him in the best possible way

On Monday night, David Davis decided to innocently tweet about the troubles he was having with his mobile phone provider.

Davis, who was previously the Brexit secretary, shared on Twitter than he’d “wasted over six hours on the phone due to spectacularly incompetent customer support” from Vodafone....

Siobhhan Benita, who was formerly the Liberal Democrat candidate for Mayor of London, responded to the tweet in the most brilliant way....

Burn!

Benita might not be running for mayor anymore, but she just won at Twitter instead.
:D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, it isn't like there weren't a lot of people screaming "noooooooo!" But Brexit, like most any story that starts out "we wuz sittin' around drinkin' one night" isn't ending well.

"Sectors from fishing to aviation, farming to science report being bogged down in red tape, struggling to recruit staff and racking up losses for the first time"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-brexit

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:38 am
Well, it isn't like there weren't a lot of people screaming "noooooooo!" But Brexit, like most any story that starts out "we wuz sittin' around drinkin' one night" isn't ending well.

"Sectors from fishing to aviation, farming to science report being bogged down in red tape, struggling to recruit staff and racking up losses for the first time"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-brexit
No huge surprise to anyone with an inkling of foresight.

O Really
Admiral

The economy of the world, from ancient times, is based on trade. Very few countries (if any, and I can't think of any) have been successful for long if they extend trade past their own borders. In fact, cutting off trade is generally considered a major sanction just short of war. Why on earth anybody would propose leaving one of the most successful trading alliances ever and even more so why anyone would say anything to the proposer other than "are ya outa yer fuckin' mind, mate" is totally beyond me.