Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:01 am
And when the band are assholes one can hold up their middle finger.

Cough Megadeth cough cough
:D :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?p=61394#p61394
JTA wrote:
Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 10, 2016 11:42 pm
So, Prince was a Jehovah's Witness and the lead for thrash metal Megadeth, who we just saw, Dave Mustaine, is a rightwing, GOP, homophobic, xenophobic, born again Christian fan of Alex Jones. I left the show when a little of this leaked through in his pre-encore rap.

'Merica.
Hahaha whaat!? What did he say? I've never been a big megadeth fan. I missed the entire show.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 am
Something like -

If you don't like the places America is at, imagine if America wasn't in those in those places. That's what this song is about.

Not too awful, but the simplistic jingoism of it irked me. It wasn't like the music was so good that it was a hard decision to walk somewhere else. I didn't know that he is a long term rightwinger until looking him up last night.
(discussion continues) My signature is relevant :problem:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 am
Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:01 am
And when the band are assholes one can hold up their middle finger.

Cough Megadeth cough cough
:D :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?p=61394#p61394
JTA wrote:
Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 10, 2016 11:42 pm
So, Prince was a Jehovah's Witness and the lead for thrash metal Megadeth, who we just saw, Dave Mustaine, is a rightwing, GOP, homophobic, xenophobic, born again Christian fan of Alex Jones. I left the show when a little of this leaked through in his pre-encore rap.

'Merica.
Hahaha whaat!? What did he say? I've never been a big megadeth fan. I missed the entire show.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 am
Something like -

If you don't like the places America is at, imagine if America wasn't in those in those places. That's what this song is about.

Not too awful, but the simplistic jingoism of it irked me. It wasn't like the music was so good that it was a hard decision to walk somewhere else. I didn't know that he is a long term rightwinger until looking him up last night.
(discussion continues) My signature is relevant :problem:
Yep.
I wonder if we should wonder what we would be like if we (Ike) hadn’t started our war in Vietnam.
I wonder where we would be now if we (Ike again) hadn’t overthrown Iran’s fledgling democracy - starting 25 years of supporting a brutal dictatorship.
I wonder where American citizens would be today if we hadn’t supported our big businesses exploitation of the people in almost every South and Central American country.
And I wonder how great an economy we would have for what was once the world’s greatest middle class economy if not for ronald reagan and roger ailes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:08 pm
I wonder ...
:-||
What he said.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

So I'm over at Wal-Mart in the Pharmacy/Personal Care section looking for deodorant and passed by a section titled "Family Planning." There was what might be expected, various contraception, etc., but also a fairly large display of vibrators and related items. OK, but all those items are locked behind glass. So if you want new equipment, you've gotta find somebody to open the case and show you the merchandise. Then, if they treat it like locked up stuff in electronics, you have to pay for it separately, not just drop it into your cart. So now you gotta go stand in line at the pharmacy to buy your equipment. Somehow I don't think this will help them sell more products.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:40 pm
So I'm over at Wal-Mart in the Pharmacy/Personal Care section looking for deodorant and passed by a section titled "Family Planning." There was what might be expected, various contraception, etc., but also a fairly large display of vibrators and related items. OK, but all those items are locked behind glass. So if you want new equipment, you've gotta find somebody to open the case and show you the merchandise. Then, if they treat it like locked up stuff in electronics, you have to pay for it separately, not just drop it into your cart. So now you gotta go stand in line at the pharmacy to buy your equipment. Somehow I don't think this will help them sell more products.
In 20 years or so I'm going to get them to show me each item, then buy either the cheapest or most outrageous one while showing it off to everyone else in line :twisted:

A Chilling New Twist in the Lindbergh Baby Mystery Could Actually Flip the Verdict

I have no idea what is most likely, but I would love it if Hauptmann is exonerated and Nazi eugenicist Lindbergh is deemed culpable.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Anger management therapist shoots man and hides body in trunk, Florida police say

The quips write themselves. Mine: It's actually a pretty effective anger management tactic to eliminate the cause of one's anger.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really
Admiral

San Diego has one of best commute traffic time in the country. (Or at least among the many shown on the map)

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/01/americ ... pic%2Fnews

Whoda thunk?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:41 am
San Diego has one of best commute traffic time in the country. (Or at least among the many shown on the map)

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/01/americ ... pic%2Fnews

Whoda thunk?
Chicago eclipsed only by New York. :puke-left:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:33 pm
Escape from NJ drinking game:

https://truejersey.com/products/escape- ... nking-game
:lol: Is getting really drunk one type of "Escape from NJ"?

I did not see her in any show, but came across this actress:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1525561/
What a strange name to choose or to be given and then retain! Nothing wrong with either Avis or Wrentmore, but put them together and you get Wrentmore, Avis :roll: Not Hertz?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

People Are Sharing The Unforgettable WTF Moments They've Witnessed Or Experienced, And It All Feels Like A Fever Dream

Some good ones here, for example:
1. "When I was learning how to drive, my dad told me that I always had to pay attention to the road and that it was important that I not be startled by anything I might see. A second after he said that to me, a man wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes ran in front of the car, chasing after a small hedgehog! How could I not be startled by that?!"
:lol:

I once watched a car turning onto a freeway take it too wide and climb way up one of those prefab concrete dividers. It was just short of being rolled, fell back onto the ramp and took off onto the freeway while hardly slowing and leaving pieces of fender/bumper behind. No cell phones, we followed her/him for awhile without incident. S/he exited the freeway. Oh well, I hope s/he arrived somewhere safely.

We had a frequent flyer with a special talent. I happened to be following an intern down the hallway past her gurney. She started having a "seizure". The intern got a panicked and tried to splutter out something. Without stopping I turned and said, "Mary, stop scaring the interns." A little mean, but I'm still laughing about it 34 years later. :twisted:

This one's kinda gross. No blood or person harmed, but you've been warned.
Spoiler:

We had another frequent flyer, a psych patient with a prolapsed uterus that she refused surgical repair on. Prolapsed means largely fallen outside the body. She had a habit of throwing back her sheet and slyly asking, "You want some of this?"
Eww.

Fortunately. I was 32 when I started in the ER. So, I did not get tested as much as younger nurses, docs, etc did.

Anyhow, tell me some good stories, guys.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

The Willy Wonka Experience:

:lol:
Stuart Sinclair, a dad who drove two hours with his three kids and paid $44 a ticket for the event, told CBS News' Anne-Marie Green there wasn't even any chocolate. "That was the worst part about it," he said.

It was all described as a massive immersive experience, great idea for the kids, chocolate fountains ... Just sounded really, really good, a nice day for the children and the family," said Sinclair. "And when we got there, as you can see by the pictures and stuff, it just was not that at all. There were four or five props, a few jelly beans for the kids. Half a cup of lemonade. Just was not what was promised whatsoever."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/willy-wonk ... ed-police/

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Back when Star Wars aired in chile some years back, rather than break for commercials they awkwardly inserted ads into the movie.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cerveza ... 2024-3?amp

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:52 am
Chicago eclipsed only by New York. :puke-left:
Not in all things :P
Judge blasts Blagojevich in brutal takedown

In a scathing and stinging decision – that was as much poetry as it was mockery – a federal judge denied former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich’s effort to overturn his ineligibility to hold office.

“More than a decade ago, Governor Rod Blagojevich left the Dirksen Federal Building in disgrace,” Judge Steve Seeger wrote about Blagojevich’s 2009 public corruption conviction. “At that point, Blagojevich’s career came to a close. The music stopped, the curtain fell, and he exited stage left. He’s back;” Judge Seeger declared in the first paragraphs of his ten-page decision....

Seeger’s denial in the case referenced the circus-like atmosphere that Blagojevich has brought with him to the courthouse over the years. The judge’s opinion even managed to work-in a Dr. Seuss reference. “The time has come. The time has come. The time is now. Just go. Go. GO! I don’t care how. You can go by foot. You can go by cow… will you please go now!” the judge quoted from the children’s book....
:lol: Illinois proud!

Judge Steven C. Seeger, no known relation to Pete Seeger ;) , was appointed by Donald Trump.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:16 am
How English sounds to foreigners:

https://www.tiktok.com/@metibee/video/7 ... 4723057962
That's funny :thumbup:

How English sounds to natives, new to me:
On 'Biweekly' and 'Bimonthly'
Sorry, not sorry

What to Know

Biweekly and bimonthly can mean the same thing because of the prefix bi-, which here can mean “occurring every two” or “occurring twice in.” Therefore, biweekly can be “twice in a week” or “every other week.” Bimonthly can also mean "every other week" if it's twice in a month, or it can mean “every other month.”

Look up the adjective biweekly in this dictionary and you will see it defined as "occurring every two weeks" AND as "occurring twice a week." Similarly, the adjective bimonthly is defined as "occurring every two months" AND as "occurring twice a month."

For this, we are sorry. But we don't mean "sorry" in the sense that we feel penitence; we are not to blame. We mean "sorry" in the sense that we feel a kind of sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond our control or power to repair.

Forget it, Jake. It's English.

(further discussion)
:crazy:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

On this day that is so very special to millions around the world please allow me to wish you a Happy . . . Transgender Day of Visibility! Seriously :wave:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Semi-serious question: do most transgender people want to be more "visible" or do they just want to be left alone to peacefully enjoy their life in whatever degree of reconstruction they've had without fear of discrimination or assault.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm
Semi-serious question: do most transgender people want to be more "visible" or do they just want to be left alone to peacefully enjoy their life in whatever degree of reconstruction they've had without fear of discrimination or assault.
My guess is that they wish to be free to choose.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Things are getting better!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.