The Global Warming thread.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Global Warming thread.

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So the local news had some shrink on tonight, explaining to people how to cope with lack of sunshine. Sure, go ahead. I'll finish when you quit laughing.

On average, SD gets 266 sunny days a year, probably more if you include the days that the sun comes out any part of a day, and only 38 days with measureable precipitation. The winter of 22-23 and the current spring is the cloudiest, rainiest, coldest extended period ever. May typically has enough cloudy days to be called "gray May" but it's usually just low morning clouds and clearing by afternoon. This year, every - every - day in May was mostly cloudy. And we had the "atmospheric rivers". And it's almost mid-June and we're happy when it gets up to 70.

Not complaining - we still had better conditions to live in than most of the rest of the country, but it's a major aberration of "normal" and people are wondering if it's gonna be permanent or get worse.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:15 pm
So the local news had some shrink on tonight, explaining to people how to cope with lack of sunshine. Sure, go ahead. I'll finish when you quit laughing.

Not complaining - we still had better conditions to live in than most of the rest of the country, but it's a major aberration of "normal" and people are wondering if it's gonna be permanent or get worse.
So, how are you coping? ;)
As you recall, long stretches of rain happen here. No one is too bothered by it unless there's flooding. Drought otoh . . .

An activist group is spreading misinformation to stop solar projects in rural America

GQP and fossil fuel shills. :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:46 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:15 pm

As you recall, long stretches of rain happen here. No one is too bothered by it unless there's flooding. Drought otoh . . .

All is well. Still a bit of "marine layer" along the coast during parts of the day, but we're back to mostly sunshine. We're headed north next week for the rest of the summer. Hopefully we won't get smoked out. Chasing a constant 72 degrees used to be easier.

Funny story about the rain and drought. When I had visited my folks in WNC it seemed I always caught cloudy rainy weather, so I thought that was the norm and had no interest in spending much time there. Circumstances had us spending the summer of '07 there, and it was glorious, resulting in our decision to mostly move there. Didn't know it was a drought. Reminded me of Lady O stories from selling real estate in Seattle. California people coming up in the summer, falling in love with the trees, the mountain views, the whole great Northwest bit and the (then) much more affordable housing. By January, they're all miserable and longing for California.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:21 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:46 pm

All is well. Still a bit of "marine layer" along the coast during parts of the day, but we're back to mostly sunshine. We're headed north next week for the rest of the summer. Hopefully we won't get smoked out. Chasing a constant 72 degrees used to be easier.

Funny story about the rain and drought. When I had visited my folks in WNC it seemed I always caught cloudy rainy weather, so I thought that was the norm and had no interest in spending much time there. Circumstances had us spending the summer of '07 there, and it was glorious, resulting in our decision to mostly move there. Didn't know it was a drought. Reminded me of Lady O stories from selling real estate in Seattle. California people coming up in the summer, falling in love with the trees, the mountain views, the whole great Northwest bit and the (then) much more affordable housing. By January, they're all miserable and longing for California.
We jinxed us. Local flooding with more to come this week. Polk County got 10" yesterday! Greenville is getting slammed at the moment. :problem:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Crap indeed, but it's the comments that will bring you to tears. Immediate jump to extremes "battery energy sends everyone to Hell"..."battery energy is Heaven on Earth"... "Only idiot leftists want batteries" ... "Idiot rightists don't know tech"... (paraphrased) "Wait til they hit the 'kill switch' on all the electric vehicles..." (real)

As far down as I read, nobody bothered to point out that most - most - of these explosions and fires result from some combination of improper battery, improper charger, careless procedure, etc. Seems to be a problem that could have a solution instead of politicizing it into red/blue.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:44 am
Crap indeed, but it's the comments that will bring you to tears. Immediate jump to extremes "battery energy sends everyone to Hell"..."battery energy is Heaven on Earth"... "Only idiot leftists want batteries" ... "Idiot rightists don't know tech"... (paraphrased) "Wait til they hit the 'kill switch' on all the electric vehicles..." (real)

As far down as I read, nobody bothered to point out that most - most - of these explosions and fires result from some combination of improper battery, improper charger, careless procedure, etc. Seems to be a problem that could have a solution instead of politicizing it into red/blue.
I didn't look at the comments, but part of my "Crap" was for knowing the RW "I told you so" response this story would elicit.

Not sure whether you are still talking about the comments in your 2nd paragraph, but not far into the article is:
... Reasons for the uptick of these fires are myriad. They include a lack of regulation and safety testing for individually owned devices, hazardous charging practices (like using mismatched equipment or overcharging) and a lack of secure charging areas in a population-dense city with numerous residential buildings, where most fires start.
There's some elaboration later. Better regulation and infrastructure will hopefully limit the issues.
... During the pandemic, when public transit was compromised and the demand for food deliveries skyrocketed, a ready supply of cheap e-bikes and e-scooters of questionable quality cropped up across the city.

New Yorkers looking for good deals pounced. With many residents living in tight quarters, they would charge their batteries in their apartments.

But once a lithium battery overheats or malfunctions, all bets are off; the speed and impact of lithium battery fires make them particularly perilous, especially when people live close together.

This has pushed more and more landlords to ban e-bikes and other e-mobility devices, while New York’s leaders have worked to prevent the fires on several fronts. In September, New York will become the first city in the nation to ban the sale of e-bikes and other e-mobility devices that fail to meet recognized safety standards.

City and fire officials have also pushed for greater state and federal oversight of the devices, shut down illegal battery charging stations, worked with food delivery apps to educate workers and shown public service messages with exploding batteries.

“I have very, very serious concerns in the short term,” Kavanagh said. “These devices are here now, and there’s lots of them.” ...
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, I was referring to the comments. The article covered the primary cause and potential solutions, but the commenters just knee-jerked in one direction or another. Microcosm of why nothing gets done about anything anymore.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:27 am
Yeah, I was referring to the comments. The article covered the primary cause and potential solutions, but the commenters just knee-jerked in one direction or another. Microcosm of why nothing gets done about anything anymore.
More science that's ripe for denial:
Something Was Messing With Earth’s Axis. The Answer Has to Do With Us.

Around the turn of the millennium, Earth’s spin started going off-kilter, and nobody could quite say why.

For decades, scientists had been watching the average position of our planet’s rotational axis, the imaginary rod around which it turns, gently wander south, away from the geographic North Pole and toward Canada. Suddenly, though, it made a sharp turn and started heading east.

In time, researchers came to a startling realization about what had happened. Accelerated melting of the polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers had changed the way mass was distributed around the planet enough to influence its spin.

Now, some of the same scientists have identified another factor that’s had the same kind of effect: colossal quantities of water pumped out of the ground for crops and households.
:shock:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:09 pm
O Really wrote:
More science that's ripe for denial:
Something Was Messing With Earth’s Axis. The Answer Has to Do With Us.

Around the turn of the millennium, Earth’s spin started going off-kilter, and nobody could quite say why.

For decades, scientists had been watching the average position of our planet’s rotational axis, the imaginary rod around which it turns, gently wander south, away from the geographic North Pole and toward Canada. Suddenly, though, it made a sharp turn and started heading east.

In time, researchers came to a startling realization about what had happened. Accelerated melting of the polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers had changed the way mass was distributed around the planet enough to influence its spin.

Now, some of the same scientists have identified another factor that’s had the same kind of effect: colossal quantities of water pumped out of the ground for crops and households.
:shock:
Yeah, let the wingnuts go wild.

Might have to start this at LNF.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:28 pm

Link if you do, please.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:28 pm

Link if you do, please.
This will take a day or so to get momentum.

https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... -guess-who
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:05 pm
This will take a day or so to get momentum.

https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... -guess-who
:D As predicted.
CadesCove wrote:I love how none of the numbnuts haven't actually read the article and readily jump on their own tangents.
:---P

World registers hottest day ever recorded on July 3

... The average global temperature reached 17.01 degrees Celsius (62.62 Fahrenheit), surpassing the August 2016 record of 16.92C (62.46F) as heatwaves sizzled around the world.

The southern U.S. has been suffering under an intense heat dome in recent weeks. In China, an enduring heatwave continued, with temperatures above 35C (95F). North Africa has seen temperatures near 50C (122F).

And even Antarctica, currently in its winter, registered anomalously high temperatures. Ukraine's Vernadsky Research Base in the white continent's Argentine Islands recently broke its July temperature record with 8.7C (47.6F).

"This is not a milestone we should be celebrating," said climate scientist Friederike Otto of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change and the Environment at Britain's Imperial College London.

"It's a death sentence for people and ecosystems."

Scientists said climate change, combined with an emerging El Nino pattern, were to blame.

"Unfortunately, it promises to only be the first in a series of new records set this year as increasing emissions of [carbon dioxide] and greenhouse gases coupled with a growing El Nino event push temperatures to new highs," said Zeke Hausfather, a research scientist at Berkeley Earth, in a statement.
:(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We Just Had 3rd Straight Day Of Hottest Temperatures On Record
If someone says, "It's summer, it's supposed to be hot," you're probably talking to a long-time Fox News viewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO4XKOOtt9c

Earth's average temperature remained at a record high yesterday after two days in which we reached unofficial records. It's the latest in a series of climate-change-driven extremes. Via CBS News:
The average global temperature was 62.9 degrees, according to the University of Maine's Climate Reanalyzer, a tool that uses satellite data and computer simulations to measure the world's condition. That matched a record set Tuesday and came after a previous record of 62.6 degrees was set Monday.

Not only that but last month was the world's hottest June since records have been kept, the European Union's climate monitoring service said, according to Agence France-Presse. "The month was the warmest June globally ... exceeding June 2019 -- the previous record -- by a substantial margin," the EU monitor said in a statement from its C3S climate unit.

Scientists have warned for months that 2023 could see record heat as human-caused climate change, driven largely by the burning of fossil fuels like coal, natural gas and oil, warmed the atmosphere. They also noted that La Nina, the natural cooling of the ocean that had acted as a counter to that warming, was giving way to El Nino, the reverse phenomenon marked by warming oceans. The North Atlantic has seen record warmth this year.

After a coolish Spring we're in the midst of a long stretch of 80s during the day 60s at night, rain or shine. Not so unusual for Summer here except perhaps for how sustained it's been.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

An Iowa meteorologist started talking about climate change on newscasts. Then came the harassment

The harassment started to intensify as TV meteorologist Chris Gloninger did more reporting on climate change during local newscasts — outraged emails and even a threat to show up at his house.

Gloninger said he had been recruited, in part, to “shake things up” at the Iowa station where he worked, but backlash was building. The man who sent him a series of threatening emails was charged with third-degree harassment. The Des Moines station asked him to dial back his coverage, facing what he called an understandable pressure to maintain ratings.

“I started just connecting the dots between extreme weather and climate change, and then the volume of pushback started to increase quite dramatically,” he said in an interview with The Associated Press.

So, on June 21, the 38-year-old announced that he was leaving KCCI-TV — and his 18-year career in broadcast journalism altogether.

Gloninger's experience is all too common among meteorologists across the country who are encountering reactions from viewers as they tie climate change to extreme temperatures, blizzards, tornadoes and floods in their local weather reports. For on-air meteorologists, the anti-science trend that has emerged in recent years compounds a deepening skepticism of the news media....
:angry-cussing: Terrorists.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
If nothing gets done:
Scientists are sounding the alarm about a dangerous problem that will soon affect 2 billion people — here’s what to know

As the world has gotten hotter, more people are exposed to dangerously high temperatures each year. Recent findings published in Nature Sustainability show that without policy changes, the world will heat up enough by the end of the century that more than 2 billion people will live in life-threatening hot climates, as Science Hub reported.

What’s happening?

So far, the world’s average temperature has risen by just under 1.2 degrees Celsius (about 2 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial level due to human activity, according to Science Hub. The Paris Agreement — an international treaty to limit heat-trapping gases produced by each country and stop the world from getting hotter — proposed to cap the increase at 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

However, the new study found that with the current laws, population growth, and environmental conditions, the world will likely reach about 4.8 degrees Fahrenheit above the preindustrial benchmark, per Science Hub....

Science Hub reported that 40 years ago, only 12 million people worldwide lived in regions with temperatures surpassing that heat. Today, thanks to the warming we’ve already experienced, about 60 million people are affected.

The study found that by 2100, 2 billion out of the world’s projected population of 9.5 billion will live in areas with an average temperature higher than 84.2 degrees Fahrenheit. The most affected areas will be countries around the equator, noted Science Hub: India, Nigeria, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Pakistan.

Why is this heating worrisome?

... “That’s a profound reshaping of the habitability of the surface of the planet, and could lead potentially to the large-scale reorganization of where people live,” study author Tim Lenton, director of the Global Systems Institute at the University of Exeter, told ScienceAlert.
:problem: Crap.
What’s being done?

Science Hub reported that if the global community reaches the goal set by the Paris Agreement, the affected population would be limited to half a billion people instead of 2 billion....
Only half a billion? Isn't that comforting? :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

TV news: Extreme heat costs the US $1B/yr in healthcare costs.

Me: Yet another indirect subsidy for Big Oil and King Coal. This is on top of the costs for fires, floods, storms, sea level rise, pollution, etc. Bastards.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:38 pm
TV news: Extreme heat costs the US $1B/yr in healthcare costs.

Me: Yet another indirect subsidy for Big Oil and King Coal. This is on top of the costs for fires, floods, storms, sea level rise, pollution, etc. Bastards.

FOX news: Extreme heat is a Job Creator
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”