The Global Warming thread.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Global Warming thread.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Crock Hunter wrote: "So far.. given his well rehearsed quacking .. he strikes me the same .."
No surprise....read what I said in my last post in 'The homophobic thread'.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

Mr.B wrote:
Crock Hunter wrote: "So far.. given his well rehearsed quacking .. he strikes me the same .."
No surprise....read what I said in my last post in 'The homophobic thread'.
As far as I can tell Vreda's been reading me as my stance hasn't changed in a very long time.. long before I first posted on BRN..

btw.. I'll take "swamp water" over "holy water" anytime.. ..Holy Water seems to have a tendency to turn people into nitwits..
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Vrede wrote:Ummm, Mr.B, mwearl's own source calls his views "nutty". Who am I to disagree?
Yea.. even after being shown Lindzen's acknowledgement of human-induced warming they refuse to address it ..

mwearl
Red Shirt

Unread post by mwearl »

Really, which part?
Vrede wrote:Ummm, Mr.B, mwearl's own source calls his views "nutty". Who am I to disagree?

mwearl
Red Shirt

Unread post by mwearl »

Funny, I said there hadn't been any global warming in years, even though CO2 had risen. Try to skew all you want. All someone has to do is read the article. He ain't agreeing with you compadre. Here from the article:

"Lindzen charges that when actual temperatures fail to conform to the models’ predictions, climate scientists purposely overstate the cooling effect of aerosols to give the models the appearance of having been accurate. But no amount of fudging can obscure the most glaring failure of the models: their inability to predict the 15-year-long (and counting) pause in warming—a pause that would seem to place the burden of proof squarely on the defenders of the models. "
Vrede wrote::roll: You even posted just 38 minutes later.
Vrede wrote:"Dr. Lindzen accepts the elementary tenets of climate science. He agrees that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, calling people who dispute that point "nutty." He agrees that the level of it is rising because of human activity and that this should warm the climate."

Yep, mwearl, even your own and Murdoch's climate messiah thinks you're "nutty". His only dispute is over the rapidity and, so far, actual warming measurements are exceeding most models.

mwearl
Red Shirt

Unread post by mwearl »

You mean this?

"If Lindzen is right about this and global warming is nothing to worry about, why do so many climate scientists, many with résumés just as impressive as his, preach imminent doom? He says it mostly comes down to the money—to the incentive structure of academic research funded by government grants. Almost all funding for climate research comes from the government, which, he says, makes scientists essentially vassals of the state. And generating fear, Lindzen contends, is now the best way to ensure that policymakers keep the spigot open. "
Vrede wrote:Yes, I know about Murdoch's article and that you've repeatedly ignored other parts of it, as Crock Hunter says. It's clear that you've latched on to one climate scientist while ignoring the 95+% that disagree with him and all of the many, many articles debunking Lindzen for no other reason than that it's what you want to believe. Oh well, at least it's better than your former claim that a journalist is a climate science expert.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I know next to nothing about climate science, but I do have some understanding of probability. So if you've got 10 scientists and variables as follows: climate change caused by humans (CBH); climate change not caused by humans (NBH); can be helped by humans (HBH); humans can't make a difference (ND); and not a problem, then having a spread of opinion among those who see a problem and one scientist who sees no problem offers some possibility that 1 out of 10 scientists may be right and all the other variables are wrong. If you've got 1000 scientists picking one of the variables indicating a problem and one guy picking "no problem," the chances of him being right are very small. If you've got 10,000, the likihood that all of them are either unintentionally wrong or that they are all on the take and intentionally giving wrong answers is infinitesimal.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

mwearl wrote:You mean this?

"If Lindzen is right about this and global warming is nothing to worry about, why do so many climate scientists, many with résumés just as impressive as his, preach imminent doom? He says it mostly comes down to the money—to the incentive structure of academic research funded by government grants. Almost all funding for climate research comes from the government, which, he says, makes scientists essentially vassals of the state. And generating fear, Lindzen contends, is now the best way to ensure that policymakers keep the spigot open. "
Pretty sure that's a strawman right there. Who's preaching imminent doom? At best I've heard we need to make small changes down before we hit a tipping point at which there is no return, or that we have indeed already surpassed the tipping point.

Either way, it sounds like a good idea to keep CO2 out of our oceans..... cause you know, without life in our oceans we're pretty much dead meat.

If you want a really good example of a run away effect, check out Venus. It's not that hot because it's closer to the sun, at one point it had a run away green house effect and now we can't land a probe on it that lasts for more than a few minutes. It really doesn't matter if what we are seeing is man made or not (even though the evidence says it is), it has to be controlled in some way, we've got to figure out how to manipulate our environment to ensure survival of the human race. That's not doomsaying, that's just looking forward as any civilization with common sense should do. (Maybe that's our.... mistake.)

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I think there's some guy somewhere up in the remote wilds of the Northwest Territory working levers and casting spells that's really behind all this global warming shit; I've got a scale model globe here and have had it for years; it doesn't seem to be getting any warmer. Maybe I should have sent this to the conservative forum.....opps.

bannination
Captain

Vrede wrote:I see, mwearl, your confirmation of your wingnutty denial of AGW is that it's a massive and unanimous government conspiracy, even under GOP governments, that all American climate scientists are acquiescing to this pressure and are falsifying their research, that the Pentagon is part of this massive and unanimous conspiracy, that most non-fossil fuel corporations with a stake in the issue have joined the cabal, that every credible educational institution and scientific institution is a co-conspirator, and that almost all climate scientists around the world are aiding and abeting for free since the US government is not paying them.

Hey, you were right, your denial of AGW does seem less wingnutty now. Thanks.
... and the "only" pay off is a cleaner environment and less reliance on foreign oil. Damn it, what are these guys thinking!?

bannination
Captain

neoplacebo wrote:I think there's some guy somewhere up in the remote wilds of the Northwest Territory working levers and casting spells that's really behind all this global warming shit; I've got a scale model globe here and have had it for years; it doesn't seem to be getting any warmer. Maybe I should have sent this to the conservative forum.....opps.
You haven't turned the light on that's sitting on the inside. If you do that, instant global warming, but it proves it's just a natural cycle since it's coming from the core.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Oh, yeah. I forgot that inside the globe it's full of molten metal and other super hot stuff. The lava lamp helped me figure this out.

mwearl
Red Shirt

Unread post by mwearl »

I thought we were citing the article. You sure got bored quickly with that, didn't you? According to one of your buddies, it's a corporate conspiracy that's selling the anti GW propaganda. Seems like conspiracies abound. By the way, your example sucks. Everyone knows that real conspiracies operate at levels above GOP, Democrat and various geo political boundaries.

Vrede wrote:I see, mwearl, your confirmation of your wingnutty denial of AGW is that it's a massive and unanimous government conspiracy, even under GOP governments, that all American climate scientists are acquiescing to this pressure and are falsifying their research, that the Pentagon is part of this massive and unanimous conspiracy, that most non-fossil fuel corporations with a stake in the issue have joined the cabal, that every credible educational institution and scientific institution is a co-conspirator, and that almost all climate scientists around the world are aiding and abeting for free since the US government is not paying them.

Hey, you were right, your denial of AGW does seem less wingnutty now. Thanks.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

bannination wrote:
Pretty sure that's a strawman right there.

Yes.. and not only a strawman but classic conspiracy nut stuff.. e.g. "And generating fear, Lindzen contends, is now the best way to ensure that policymakers keep the spigot open. "

Plus note the hypocrisy in attempting to blame "money" for the inconvenient data supporting AGW while ignoring the verified mi$$ions of dollars spent by the Oil/Coal Industry disseminating misinformation about climate change.. It's the Tobacco Industry playbook all over again..

If money is the metric.. then who's lying is clear..

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

mwearl wrote:According to one of your buddies, it's a corporate conspiracy that's selling the anti GW propaganda. Seems like conspiracies abound. .
A prerequisite for a conspiracy is having no proof... As I just posted.. there is evidence and admissions that the Oil/Coal Industries have put millions into climate disinformation...

What you have is a need to see a conspiracy.. I have facts.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Crock Hunter wrote:
mwearl wrote:According to one of your buddies, it's a corporate conspiracy that's selling the anti GW propaganda. Seems like conspiracies abound. .
A prerequisite for a conspiracy is having no proof... As I just posted.. there is evidence and admissions that the Oil/Coal Industries have put millions into climate disinformation...

No proof is often the icing on the fruitcake for conspiracy nuts. The utter lack of even the tiniest shred of evidence is ALWAYS clear indication of a massive, all-encompassing conspiracy. THEY destroyed all the evidence.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Boatrocker wrote:
Crock Hunter wrote:

No proof is often the icing on the fruitcake for conspiracy nuts. The utter lack of even the tiniest shred of evidence is ALWAYS clear indication of a massive, all-encompassing conspiracy. THEY destroyed all the evidence.
Excellent point.. Your ability to channel wingnut thought is frightening.. Do you suffer from such a unique ability ? 8-)

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

LMAO... Check it out.. Tom's bent out'a shape that science works like it's supposed to.. ..

Time Magizine[sic] 40 Years Ago

What an idiot.. .. . Look Tom.. Unlike conservatives.. when new data surfaces that disproves a segment of study.. scientists welcome the information and use it to improve the science..

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Crock Hunter wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:
Crock Hunter wrote:

Excellent point.. Your ability to channel wingnut thought is frightening.. Do you suffer from such a unique ability ? 8-)
I suffer from the continued exposure to wingnuts, which has given me the observational experience which allows that, shall we say, insight. It's not unique, but it's a painfully-acquired ability.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Boatrocker wrote:
Crock Hunter wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:
Crock Hunter wrote:

I suffer from the continued exposure to wingnuts, which has given me the observational experience which allows that, shall we say, insight. It's not unique, but it's a painfully-acquired ability.
Thank you for your service. .. ..