The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Testing since billy.pilgrim says the thread is locked.
viewtopic.php?t=4955&p=173125#p173125
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Along with the US Sen from WI, why are Johnsons in Congress such johnsons?
US Rep: Sitcom with Danny DeVito as voice of Satan is 'evil'

An animated horror comedy featuring Danny DeVito as the voice of Satan is “clearly evil,” says a Republican congressman from Louisiana whose Facebook post denouncing “Little Demon” had reached millions of people by Tuesday morning.

U.S. Rep Mike Johnson objected to the sitcom aired by FX Networks. Its website says the series is about a woman and her 13-year-old daughter who are trying to live normal lives even though Satan is the girl’s father and wants custody of her soul.

A trailer for the show, which airs its fourth episode late Thursday, played during Sunday night's TV broadcast of Louisiana State University's football opener against Florida State.

“I couldn’t get to the remote fast enough to shield my 11-year-old from the preview, and I wonder how many other children were exposed to it — and how many millions more will tune in to the new series, owned and marketed by DISNEY,” the congressman and vice chairman of the House Republican Conference wrote on Monday....
Riiight, protect your tween from a cartoon Danny DeVito while watching the uber-violence of football. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Christian priest sprinkle holy water and chaos ensue

:wtf: I like how some check to see that they don't trip over anything as they back up in the throes of whatever they're in the throes of.
Looks like a convention of epileptic people.
Epilepticon?!
My favorite of all the transformers!
The only thing I learned is that some people are better actors than others.
They aren't acting.

I went to a pentecostal church. They believe that thet are directly feeling their god right there, and there is NOTHING you can do to change their mind.
So…. Method acting?
Methodist acting
Meth*

Just meth
Today I learned that the presence of God makes you act like a chicken.
What a sad species we are
They have seizure water, we have Miracle Spring Water. :roll: :roll:

Street Fighter II "Best of Church Edition" Starring Benny Hinn

Benny Hinn is a Florida Man, of course.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Allow me to share the "Good News" of the lord:
These 2 charts show America's Christian majority is on track to end

... A new study from the Pew Research Center shows that America's Christian majority has been shrinking for years, and if recent trends continue, Christians could make up less than half the U.S. population within a few decades.

The study found that Christians accounted for about 90% of the population 50 years ago, but as of 2020 that figure had slumped to about 64%.

"If recent trends in switching [changing one's religious affiliation] hold, we projected that Christians could make up between 35% and 46% of the U.S. population in 2070," said Stephanie Kramer, the senior researcher who led the study....

... "Some scholars say that it's just an inevitable consequence of development for societies to secularize. Once there are strong secular institutions, once people's basic needs are met, there's less need for religion," Kramer said.

"Other people point out that affiliation really started to drop in the '90s. And it may not be a coincidence that this coincides with the rise of the religious right and more associations between Christianity and conservative political ideology." ...

:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Key Evangelical Figures Turn On Trump: 'He Used Us'

If their god gave these key evangelical figures spines they would accept personal responsibility rather than just throw TRE45QN under the bus. Instead, Mike Evans, Robert Jeffress, James Robison, Everett Piper, etc use words that also apply to them and what they've done to millions of their followers:
"can’t save America ... can’t even save himself.”
"used us ... We had to close our mouths and eyes when he said things that horrified us.”
"can’t stop his little petty issues"
"act like a little elementary schoolchild and you shoot yourself in the foot every morning you get up and open your mouth! The more you keep your mouth closed, the more successful you’re gonna be!"

Evangelical "leadership", heal thyself!

At least there's a smidgen of honesty: "would “happily” support Trump again... if he wins the nomination," is an admission that organized evangelicals have no interest in spirituality, religion or Christ. Rather, they are a political organization, an exclusive auxiliary of the GQP.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

That little charlatan Robert Jeffress has an ad on local tv that begins with "god has a purpose for your life." Every time I see or hear it I go "yeah, the purpose is to send me money." I've also written him some hate mail on a couple of occasions. He never got back to me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:16 am
That little charlatan Robert Jeffress has an ad on local tv that begins with "god has a purpose for your life." Every time I see or hear it I go "yeah, the purpose is to send me money." I've also written him some hate mail on a couple of occasions. He never got back to me.
That's not very Christian of him.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:00 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Maybe he's "turning the other cheek." Neoplacebo should probably fish slap that one too. Problem is, people like him and his followers thrive and wallow in the joy of being "abused." As far as I know, Christians have never been abused as much as Jews and they're probably jealous.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:shock: Monks in Thailand temple all sent to rehab after testing positive for meth.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/monks-meth ... -thailand/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:39 am
:shock: Monks in Thailand temple all sent to rehab after testing positive for meth.

Idjits - they could've had some non-addictive real killer weed
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:34 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:39 am

Idjits - they could've had some non-addictive real killer weed
I agree. I can remember buying a "Thai stick" which was just one big bud tied to a thin wooden stick about 8 inches long. It was beautiful. And pungent. Best smoke I ever had. Monks would have loved it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Speaking of charlatans:
Christian Trump event left evangelical pastor 'absolutely terrified and horrified'

An evangelical pastor has made it his new mission to lead his fellow Christians away from what he believes is a self-destructive worship of former President Donald Trump.

In an interview with the Toronto Globe and Mail, Pastor Caleb Campbell revealed that he decided to make wooing Christians away from the MAGA movement his personal cause after he attended a Christian event hosted by Turning Point USA, the right-wing activist group founded by Charlie Kirk.

During the event he attended, says Campbell, Kirk misappropriated quotes from the Bible in order to make it sound like God wanted Christians to be armed to the teeth with firearms.

"I was absolutely terrified and horrified," Campbell tells the Globe and Mail.

He then elaborated to describe how disturbed he was by Kirk taking people's deeply held religious faith and welding it directly to a hardcore right-wing political agenda.

“What was shocking to me was the people in the room raising their hands and saying, ‘Amen. Hallelujah,'" he said. "They were having a religious experience."

Although American Christians advocating for conservative policies is nothing new, Campbell believes that this new Trump-led evangelism is more dangerous in that it evokes the spirit of white nationalism.

"This is a mean-spirited, vulgar grab for power with violent rhetoric," he said. "I’m familiar with what it means to be enculturated toward violent behavior."
Now? NOW???

You're just jumping on the bandwagon. Where the hell were you in 2015 and every year since when it might have made a difference? None of your "revelation" is news to we decent Americans.

We're going to see a lot of this from Trumpettes that suddenly "see the light".
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Speaking of charlatans:
Christian Trump event left evangelical pastor 'absolutely terrified and horrified'

An evangelical pastor has made it his new mission to lead his fellow Christians away from what he believes is a self-destructive worship of former President Donald Trump.

In an interview with the Toronto Globe and Mail, Pastor Caleb Campbell revealed that he decided to make wooing Christians away from the MAGA movement his personal cause after he attended a Christian event hosted by Turning Point USA, the right-wing activist group founded by Charlie Kirk.

During the event he attended, says Campbell, Kirk misappropriated quotes from the Bible in order to make it sound like God wanted Christians to be armed to the teeth with firearms.

"I was absolutely terrified and horrified," Campbell tells the Globe and Mail.

He then elaborated to describe how disturbed he was by Kirk taking people's deeply held religious faith and welding it directly to a hardcore right-wing political agenda.

“What was shocking to me was the people in the room raising their hands and saying, ‘Amen. Hallelujah,'" he said. "They were having a religious experience."

Although American Christians advocating for conservative policies is nothing new, Campbell believes that this new Trump-led evangelism is more dangerous in that it evokes the spirit of white nationalism.

"This is a mean-spirited, vulgar grab for power with violent rhetoric," he said. "I’m familiar with what it means to be enculturated toward violent behavior."
Now? NOW???

You're just jumping on the bandwagon. Where the hell were you in 2015 and every year since when it might have made a difference? None of your "revelation" is news to we decent Americans.

Just reading that makes me angry. "They were having a religious experience." That should tell him something about religion.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Speaking of charlatans:

Now? NOW???

bannination wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 pm
Just reading that makes me angry. "They were having a religious experience." That should tell him something about religion.
“You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?”
― Mark Twain
Found:
Nothing helps a person see through the nonsense of religion better than a good education.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:53 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:00 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Maybe he's "turning the other cheek." Neoplacebo should probably fish slap that one too. Problem is, people like him and his followers thrive and wallow in the joy of being "abused." As far as I know, Christians have never been abused as much as Jews and they're probably jealous.
Evangelical Christianity.

He Told Followers to Starve to Meet Jesus. Why Did So Many Do It?

Kenya cult death toll hits 200, with more than 600 reported missing

:wtf:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Speaking of charlatans:

Now? NOW???

Speaking of clueless xtian wingnuts:
Josh Hawley Explains How the Bible Can Solve Our Country's Masculinity Crisis

“All is not well with men in this country,” Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) wrote in an op-ed for Fox News on Tuesday. Had he simply left it at that, I’d give him a high five and shout “Amen, brother.” But alas, he carried on in a vague and overblown piece on how to fix the masculinity crisis facing our nation’s men and boys. In short (spoiler alert): by reading the Bible.

I’d caution anyone against taking advice about masculinity from the man who broke the Congressional 500-meter sprint record running away from the insurrection he personally fomented in the Capitol building....
:lol: :---P
Studying the Bible and being the head of the household isn’t going to solve that systemic issue, though. Neither will demonizing gender nonconforming youth. Perhaps the actual masculinity crisis is caused by men like Josh Hawley, who emotionally abuse and alienate other men that don’t adhere to harmful, outdated norms about how men should behave?
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Good news:

Belief in God, the devil falls to new low: Gallup

Bad news:
... Seventy-four percent of Americans said they believe in God, while 69 percent said they believe in angels and 67 percent said they believe in heaven, the poll found. Slightly smaller shares — 59 percent and 58 percent — said they believe in hell and the devil.
Interesting date:
Belief in all five spiritual entities has fallen between 3-5 points since 2016, the last time that Gallup polled Americans on the topic.

However, blame RW Xtians in general, not just Dolt .45:
Since the pollster first began collecting survey data on the subject more than two decades ago, belief in God and heaven has dropped 16 points, while belief in hell has fallen 12 points and belief in the devil and angels has decreased by 10 points.
Opps.
... Protestants and other Christians were also slightly more likely than their Catholic counterparts to believe in such spiritual entities, according to the poll. While 94 percent of Protestants said they believe in God, 85 percent of Catholics said the same.
:headscratch: How can one be either and not believe in God?
... While 87 percent of Republicans said they believe in God, 68 percent of independents and 66 percent of Democrats said the same.

Lower income Americans, older Americans, women and those without college degrees were also more likely to say that they believe in such spiritual entities.
:think:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Extreme crybaby crap like this makes me want to publicly burn or otherwise desecrate a Quran, or better yet online organize hundreds of folks to do it at the same time.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/muslim-major ... 32311.html
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:17 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Good news:

Bad news:
... Seventy-four percent of Americans said they believe in God, while 69 percent said they believe in angels and 67 percent said they believe in heaven, the poll found. Slightly smaller shares — 59 percent and 58 percent — said they believe in hell and the devil.
Interesting date:
Belief in all five spiritual entities has fallen between 3-5 points since 2016, the last time that Gallup polled Americans on the topic.

Since the pollster first began collecting survey data on the subject more than two decades ago, belief in God and heaven has dropped 16 points, while belief in hell has fallen 12 points and belief in the devil and angels has decreased by 10 points.
Opps.
... Protestants and other Christians were also slightly more likely than their Catholic counterparts to believe in such spiritual entities, according to the poll. While 94 percent of Protestants said they believe in God, 85 percent of Catholics said the same.
... While 87 percent of Republicans said they believe in God, 68 percent of independents and 66 percent of Democrats said the same.

Lower income Americans, older Americans, women and those without college degrees were also more likely to say that they believe in such spiritual entities.
A letter written by Einstein in 1950 talking about how science "supersedes" the existence of god went on sale the other day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... 0-000.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:17 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Good news:

Bad news:
Interesting date:

Opps.

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:25 am
A letter written by Einstein in 1950 talking about how science "supersedes" the existence of god went on sale the other day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... 0-000.html
"The 1950 missive, valued at $125,000, is for sale." Pricey agnosticism. Then, another fish slap to religion 16 months before his death:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ei ... ical_views
In a German-language letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, dated 3 January 1954, Einstein wrote:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. ... For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. ... I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.
Bazinga.
1312. ETTD.