The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by bannination »

I was brushing my teeth while watching this -- beware.... the bit about the emails really caught me off guard. :toothy:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

:-||
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Thank you to Satan for giving me inspiration on how to play this role" - Christian Bale accepts his Golden Globe for playing Dick Cheney
The Church Of Satan
‏Verified account @ChurchofSatan

To us, Satan is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, and it serves as an external metaphorical projection of our highest personal potential. As Mr. Bale's own talent and skill won him the award, this is fitting. Hail Christian! Hail Satan!
@ChurchofSatan this is your moment
The Church Of Satan

It's always our moment.
A "Christian" thanking Satan is what the world needs right now!! 😭👏🏻👏🏻
The Church Of Satan

"Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!" ― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Christian con "morality", again:

Liberty University CIO Implicated in Trump Poll-Rigging According to WSJ
Heh, not only that, but I saw a story on GMA today about Jim Bakker is back on tv peddling salvation and faith. Or maybe it was salivation and feint.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump Administration Grants South Carolina Foster Care Agencies Authority to Discriminate Against Jewish and Muslim Families

The Trump administration on Wednesday made a quiet move that opens the door for the religious right to use the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act to discriminate against able foster parents whose religious views are in conflict with those of an agency.

On the 33rd day of the government shutdown, Steven Wagner, principal deputy assistant secretary at the Health and Human Services Administration for Children and Families, signed a waiver giving special permission to a federally funded Protestant foster care agency in South Carolina to break federal and state law, using strict religious requirements to deny Jewish, Muslim, and Catholic parents from fostering children in its network.

After months of lobbying by Reid Lehman, president and CEO of Miracle Hill Ministries, South Carolina lawmakers, and Gov. Henry McMaster, Wagner signed a waiver that lets the agency keep its federal funding, despite warnings by the state Department of Social Services that it’s violating federal and state nondiscrimination law, as well as internal agency policy, by denying parents of the Jewish faith from fostering children. The agency also rejects parents who are agnostic and atheist — anyone who is not a Protestant Christian.

“We have approved South Carolina’s request to protect religious freedom and preserve high-quality foster care placement options for children,” Lynn Johnson, assistant secretary for HHS Administration for Children and Families, said in a statement. “By granting this request to South Carolina,” she continued, “HHS is putting foster care capacity needs ahead of burdensome regulations that are in conflict with the law.”

The signed waiver, stalled for months, could have larger ramifications for other states waging battles over religious freedom in the foster care system, legal experts say. The waiver argues that HHS nondiscrimination regulations are broader than those outlined in the specific Foster Care Program Statute, which specifies that agencies receiving federal funding can’t deny foster parents based on race, color, or national origin — but not religion....
:obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Add another to the litigation list.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I imagine myself being placed in foster care as maybe a twelve year old and realize within just a few weeks that I have been placed into the hands of wingnuts and self righteous bigots. I then become a problem child in capital letters and force the foster parents to renounce their faith and join an obscure offshoot of Judaism. Damn, that was a close one.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:28 pm
Add another to the litigation list.
Potentially several more:
Trump boosts bills to teach his favorite book — the Bible — in public schools

President Trump signaled his support on Monday for state bills that would allow public schools to teach courses in the Bible, which he once proclaimed was his favorite book.
Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 28, 2019
Trump’s tweet came minutes after “Fox & Friends” aired a segment Monday morning on pending legislation in six states — Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, Virginia and West Virginia — that would allow Bible literacy courses to become a part of a public school education.

“Nothing beats the Bible,” Trump famously said on the campaign trail in 2015 — not even “The Art of the Deal.” ...
No problem, as long as the schools also offer literacy courses in the Torah, Koran, Satanic Bible, Hindu scriptures, Buddhist texts, etc. Otherwise, the wingnut Christians will waste more of OUR money on their unconstitutional and failed dogma.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 am
I imagine myself being placed in foster care as maybe a twelve year old and realize within just a few weeks that I have been placed into the hands of wingnuts and self righteous bigots. I then become a problem child in capital letters and force the foster parents to renounce their faith and join an obscure offshoot of Judaism. Damn, that was a close one.

It's been going on for years. Foster care is a big money maker - especially for the sovereign citizen types. Five or six will do the cooking and do the cleaning and cover the mobile home expenses, or go all out bundy with
fifteen or twenty to run a ranch.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:17 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 am

It's been going on for years. Foster care is a big money maker - especially for the sovereign citizen types. Five or six will do the cooking and do the cleaning and cover the mobile home expenses, or go all out bundy with
fifteen or twenty to run a ranch.
Yeah, big stupid seems to be more rampant these days.....I've been reading about the measles outbreak in Washington state due to wingnuts not getting their kids vaccinated. Not sure if there's a religious aspect to it but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one. Hell, if I were religious I'd probably opt for that snake handling gig; to me, that's a real exhibition of faith. :sunny:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:20 pm
... Yeah, big stupid seems to be more rampant these days.....I've been reading about the measles outbreak in Washington state due to wingnuts not getting their kids vaccinated. Not sure if there's a religious aspect to it but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one. Hell, if I were religious I'd probably opt for that snake handling gig; to me, that's a real exhibition of faith. :sunny:
Religious (#1, I think), government conspiracy wingnuts and "natural" new agers and hippies.

Fun fact when bigots talk about "diseased" Mexicans: Mexico has a HIGHER childhood vaccination rate than the US.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:20 pm
... Yeah, big stupid seems to be more rampant these days.....I've been reading about the measles outbreak in Washington state due to wingnuts not getting their kids vaccinated. Not sure if there's a religious aspect to it but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one. Hell, if I were religious I'd probably opt for that snake handling gig; to me, that's a real exhibition of faith. :sunny:
Religious (#1, I think), government conspiracy wingnuts and "natural" new agers and hippies.

Fun fact when bigots talk about "diseased" Mexicans: Mexico has a HIGHER childhood vaccination rate than the US.
In the past I've heard about these religious folks that deny any sort of medical treatment to themselves or their kids; every few years you see a story about a kid that dies or nearly dies due to this nonsense. I consider that sort of thing to be much worse than even the latest of late term abortions. Just yesterday the TN state legislature brought up a fetal heartbeat abortion prohibition in which the detection of the heartbeat would preclude the choice to have an abortion. I'm not a medical type but I think a heartbeat can be detected at a very early time related to the nine month period of gestation. Anyway, I've never heard of any religious nut of another persuasion protesting those folks that don't provide their kids with medical treatment. I guess that's what they call religious freedom. I say get your snakes out, bitch, and show me how strong your faith is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:43 pm
In the past I've heard about these religious folks that deny any sort of medical treatment to themselves or their kids; every few years you see a story about a kid that dies or nearly dies due to this nonsense. I consider that sort of thing to be much worse than even the latest of late term abortions. Just yesterday the TN state legislature brought up a fetal heartbeat abortion prohibition in which the detection of the heartbeat would preclude the choice to have an abortion. I'm not a medical type but I think a heartbeat can be detected at a very early time related to the nine month period of gestation. Anyway, I've never heard of any religious nut of another persuasion protesting those folks that don't provide their kids with medical treatment. I guess that's what they call religious freedom. I say get your snakes out, bitch, and show me how strong your faith is.
I should have included Trumpettes among the wingnut anti-vaxxers

Trump claims vaccines and autism are linked but his own experts vehemently disagree
The president has tweeted more than 20 times claiming – falsely – there is a link between vaccines and autism

https://www.indy100.com/article/anti-va ... on-8767966
I have five children and they will never be vaccinated. They are protected by Jesus for I know faith helps you walk the righteous path. The same people that tell me to vaccinate are the same people telling me that god did not masterfully craft this planet.
They can die like Jesus with a rusty nail.
:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Parents Protest For Kids' Right To Suffer From Preventable Illness

Hundreds of conspiracy theorists in Washington state gathered Friday to protest against vaccinating kids.

Approximately 700 people gathered for a public hearing in Olympia to oppose a bill that would put more requirements on families attempting to back out of mandatory vaccinations for children, The Washington Post reported. The bill would specifically make it harder to opt school-age children out of getting vaccine shots for mumps, rubella and measles.

The bill, sponsored by Republican Rep. Paul Harris, comes amid the state’s worst measles outbreak in decades....
:roll: :cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

After defying anti-vaxx mom, Ohio teen explains why he got vaccinated

Luckily, someone slipped Ethan Lindenberger the vaccine against stupid and dangerous parenting.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wife of White House communications chief goes on anti-vaccine tirade

“Here we go LOL #measlesoutbreak on #CNN #Fake #Hysteria,” Darla Shine tweeted. “The entire Baby Boom population alive today had the #Measles as kids … Bring back our #ChildhoodDiseases they keep you healthy & fight cancer.”

“I had the #Measles #Mumps #ChickenPox as a child and so did every kid I knew,” she went on to claim, adding: “Sadly my kids had #MMR so they will never have the life long natural immunity I have. Come breathe on me!”

... Darla Shine, a former TV producer, is married to Bill Shine, the former executive at Fox News who was appointed last year as Donald Trump’s deputy chief of staff for communications.

Faced with criticism over her comments, Shine accused “the Left” of attempting to smear her. She also suggested, without evidence, that measles can cure cancer, pointing to a 2014 case that was far more complex and did not draw any kind of definitive conclusions.

This is not the first time Darla’s Shine’s public statements have sparked controversy. She once declared that sunscreen was “a hoax” and on numerous occasions pushed debunked theories about the danger of vaccines.

Other unearthed tweets found Darla Shine making profane remarks about race, questioning why white people were considered racist for using “the n’word” given its use by black people and defending the Confederate flag.

She has repeatedly struck a dismissive tone when discussing allegations of sexual assault, be it in the military or at Fox News.

When allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced against Roger Ailes, the network’s late former chairman, and ex-host Bill O’Reilly, Darla Shine sought to discredit their accusers.

Her husband, Bill, was forced to resign as co-president of Fox News following the allegations and has been accused of ignoring of seeking to suppress the accounts of their accusers....
Along with being a paranoid idiot, Shine is also a liar.
I’m a Baby Boomer and I was successfully vaccinated against Measles.
She was born 11 years later, 1968, and almost certainly never had Measles (vaccine since 1963) and probably not Mumps (vaccine since 1967).
The MMR vaccine is Measles, Mumps and RUBELLA, not her “ChickenPox”.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lawmaker: Jesus died from the death penalty, so don't abolish it

The arguments for keeping the death penalty in force, in the states that still have it, usually invoke deterrence or the need for “closure” for the families of murder victims. But a Wyoming lawmaker who helped defeat a bill to repeal capital punishment used the novel argument that Christianity was founded on the death penalty, in the sense that Jesus was crucified by the state as a criminal.

“The greatest man who ever lived died via the death penalty for you and me,” State Sen. Lynn Hutchings, R-Cheyenne, told the Casper Star-Tribune. “I’m grateful to him for our future hope because of this. Governments were instituted to execute justice. If it wasn’t for Jesus dying via the death penalty, we would all have no hope.”

According to the New Testament, Jesus was arrested by Roman authorities in Jerusalem’s Garden of Gethsemane. He was tried and sentenced to death by Pontius Pilate, the Roman prefect for the province of Judea.

Wyoming’s state Senate, with help from Hutchings, voted down a bill to abolish the death penalty in the state. The final vote was 12 in favor and 18 against.

Death penalty opponents argued that prohibiting capital punishment would have saved Wyoming money and made the criminal justice system more humane. The state has not executed a prisoner since 1992.

Not every state senator agreed with Hutchings’s use of Jesus to justify the death penalty.

“Regardless of my personal thoughts — my religion doesn’t believe in the right to kill people — that’s not enough for me,” Sen. Bill Landen, R-Casper, who voted for the measure, told the Star-Tribune.
:wtf: :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Comments:
So the argument for the death penalty is the most famous wrongful conviction of all time?
Can you please separate church and state. It’s in your job description
While Jesus suffered the death penalty, this is not proof that he approved of the penalty.
I get the feeling that State Senator Hutchings is probably not a very deep thinker.
Another example of the clear thinking and insightful logic of the Conservative Christians in government.
Hey, as long as the wrongfully executed can rise from the dead - I have no problem with it!
Having religion means that even the most basic logic isn't needed, praise Zombie Jesus!
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I had measles and mumps as a kid, but have avoided the death penalty so far. :shifty: