Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Ulysses »

I can't even remember doing any drive-thru take out for the past two years. But that may be because I'm cheap.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Second booster now available. I'm going to schedule mine.

My sister is still not feeling well and still testing positive.

My brother in law tested positive today after not feeling well for a couple of days and testing negative on home tests , he went and got a pcr.

They said negative home tests are not untypical for a couple three days.

Both are boosted thank goodness.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I have Kaiser HMO coverage and so far they are only approving a second booster for those who say they are "immunocompromised". I have emailed my primary care doc at Kaiser to see when I will be eligible to get the second booster.

I suppose I could go to a local pharmacy and bug them, since the shots are supposed to be free. In fact, as I recall, I got my booster shot at a non-Kaiser facility, because Kaiser was lagging.

One plus is that the covid infection rate in this area is quite low. So there is that.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:02 pm
Second booster now available. I'm going to schedule mine.

My sister is still not feeling well and still testing positive.

My brother in law tested positive today after not feeling well for a couple of days and testing negative on home tests , he went and got a pcr.

They said negative home tests are not untypical for a couple three days.

Both are boosted thank goodness.
Hell, my sister is trying to get covid. Neither she or her husband have been vaccinated. He even quit his high dollar job at Glaxo Smith Kline because they initiated a vaccine mandate for employees. I think that's been overturned by courts but don't know if he went back to work. I've not had any contact with either of them in almost a year. They're wingnuts but think I'm one. It's like a goddamn Mexican standoff but I'm not crossing the border.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Careful.

The term "Mexican standoff" might be considered to be racist.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

And it might not. I just thought that if I typed "Turkish standoff" nobody would know what the fuck I was referring to. Good catch, legless oven king.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Your sister and brother-in-law are a couple of loonies. No offence.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:42 pm
And it might not. I just thought that if I typed "Turkish standoff" nobody would know what the fuck I was referring to. Good catch, legless oven king.
From what I gather, "Mexican stand-off" is considered offensive. In Mexico.

I have some neighbors who were born in Mexico. I might ask one of them, but they might get offended by the question so maybe I won't ask.

And if it's offensive in Mexico, I would expect at least some here in the US also are offended by the term.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
You can sleep better, it's not considered offensive.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... f#synonyms
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican ... 20zugzwang.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:20 pm
Hell, my sister is trying to get covid. Neither she or her husband have been vaccinated. He even quit his high dollar job at Glaxo Smith Kline because they initiated a vaccine mandate for employees. I think that's been overturned by courts but don't know if he went back to work. I've not had any contact with either of them in almost a year. They're wingnuts but think I'm one. It's like a goddamn Mexican standoff but I'm not crossing the border.
Afaik only the federal mandate has been overturned or suspended. Individual companies are still free to mandate vaccines.
O Really wrote:
Your sister and brother-in-law are a couple of loonies. No offence.
:lol: And not in a good way.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_standoff
Useless, the proven bigot, is desperate to catch one of us being bigoted. However, his google is broken.
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:55 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

And again useless fails at accusing others of using racially offensive terms.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

"The term Mexican standoff is most probably a term coined in the United States and is considered a pejorative by many, but not all people."

I would submit that a pejorative term is also offensive to those it targets.

"Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins, by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977): Mexican Standoff “… derogatory epithets aimed at neighboring countries … classic case of such coinage of racially derogatory epithets was the rash of expressions coined by the English to put down their Dutch rivals during the eighteenth century … Something of the same attitude may be found in parts of the United States bordering Mexico. The expression ‘Mexican athlete’ is used to describe an athlete who goes out for the team but doesn’t make it. A ‘Mexican promotion’ is one in which an employee gets a fancy new title – but no increase in pay. And a ‘Mexican breakfast’ consists of a cigarette and a glass of water. So a ‘Mexican standoff’ is a situation from which nothing at all can be expected.”"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Mexican_standoff

Mex′ican stand′-off`
n.
usage: This term, though not used as a deliberate slur, is still sometimes felt to be insulting to Mexicans.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mexican+stand-off

A number of sites compare "Mexican standoff" to "Chinese Fire-Drill". I consider both terms to be racist and offensive and never use them unless in a discussion such as this. But then I grew up in San Francisco with a lot of Chinese friends and currently live in a neighborhood with lots of Mexican immigrants. I might ask one of them for their opinion about "Mexican standoff", but this would probably risk offending them.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

From Useless' source:
Some people point to the original meaning of the term Mexican standoff to describe cowardly bandits as a symbol of racism, and consider the term Mexican standoff offensive. However, most people are unaware of these roots.
Nebulous at best.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:46 pm
From Ulysses' source:
Some people point to the original meaning of the term Mexican standoff to describe cowardly bandits as a symbol of racism, and consider the term Mexican standoff offensive. However, most people are unaware of these roots.
Nebulous at best.
OK, so how about you slide on down to Nuevo Laredo (or other town on the other side of our southern border), walk into the nearest Mexican bar, and shout, "Who wants to have a Mexican standoff?".

Let us know how it turns out.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:50 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
From Ulysses' source:
Nebulous at best.
OK, so how about you slide on down to Nuevo Laredo (or other town on the other side of our southern border), walk into the nearest Mexican bar, and shout, "Who wants to have a Mexican standoff?".

That would be a dumb idea even if the phrase is not considered offensive.
GoCubsGo wrote:

Link #2:
... The term Mexican standoff was originally used in the context of using firearms and it still commonly implies a situation in which the parties face some form of threat from the other parties. The Mexican standoff is a recurring trope in cinema, in which several armed characters hold each other at gunpoint.
Swing and a miss as usual, Useless. Now, about your proven racism? Cower, Useless, cower.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:57 pm
Ulysses wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
From Ulysses' source:
Nebulous at best.

That would be a dumb idea even if the phrase is not considered offensive.
GoCubsGo wrote:

Link #2:
... The term Mexican standoff was originally used in the context of using firearms and it still commonly implies a situation in which the parties face some form of threat from the other parties. The Mexican standoff is a recurring trope in cinema, in which several armed characters hold each other at gunpoint.
Swing and a miss as usual, Useless. Now, about your proven racism? Cower, Useless, cower.
This entry is a useless Public Service to save useless the trouble of having to open your post.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:18 pm
This entry is a useless Public Service to save useless the trouble of having to open your post.
:D :thumbup: On behalf of Useless, thank you for your useless service, thus saving Useless the trouble of having to thank you himself.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:46 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:18 pm
:D :thumbup: On behalf of Useless, thank you for your useless service, thus saving Useless the trouble of having to thank you himself.
I think the only one Useless thanks is Useless, maybe he occasionally thanks Oddball.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
From Ulysses' source:
Nebulous at best.

Perhaps I should have used "circular firing squad" instead of "Mexican standoff." And I'd bet you your legless camp oven that if I walked into a Mexican bar and blurted out "who wants to have a circular firing squad" or "who wants to fuck with an American superman" or "who wants to stop me from fucking your sister" I'd be no better off than yelling "who wants to have a Mexican standoff." Why don't you take your oven on the road and go down there and find out just what the fuck will set those motherfuckers off. Thanks

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:33 pm
Ulysses wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
From Ulysses' source:
Nebulous at best.

Perhaps I should have used "circular firing squad" instead of "Mexican standoff." And I'd bet you your legless camp oven that if I walked into a Mexican bar and blurted out "who wants to have a circular firing squad" or "who wants to fuck with an American superman" or "who wants to stop me from fucking your sister" I'd be no better off than yelling "who wants to have a Mexican standoff." Why don't you take your oven on the road and go down there and find out just what the fuck will set those motherfuckers off. Thanks
Well...

1) My camping oven is no longer legless. Do I need to post the photo again? And overmore, it actually comes with legs. That is, it has little rubber feet about 1" long on the bottom four corners. I installed some steel channels (they are the white strips visible in the photo) front and back to match the little rubber feet. It's all very solid and sturdy and unless some drunken jerk at the campsite loses hit balance and falls on the camping range, should be fine. However it would have even more entertainment value if a drunken jerk did fall on it, especially if they wound up getting scalded with hot soup or brownies. You up for that?

2) You seem obsessed with the Camp Chef. Why?

3) When are you going to Mexico to pick a fight? Can you hire someone to record it?