Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

That's a bit looney even for what passes for damgummint in Florida. Poorly written, vague, conflicts in authority, yada. If they wanted to get something like that done, they could pass a law to create a list of "state protected historical artifacts and statuary" so that a specific statue entitled "Traitor on horse statue, located at the corner of Main and First streets, Neckville, FL" would be protected. And they'd need to put a marker on the protected item. Or they could just let each town do what works for its residents.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:10 pm
That's a bit looney even for what passes for damgummint in Florida. Poorly written, vague, conflicts in authority, yada. If they wanted to get something like that done, they could pass a law to create a list of "state protected historical artifacts and statuary" so that a specific statue entitled "Traitor on horse statue, located at the corner of Main and First streets, Neckville, FL" would be protected. And they'd need to put a marker on the protected item. Or they could just let each town do what works for its residents.
DerSantis' fascist Florida detests local control.

Now, the animals shitting on those remaining racist statues won't be racist. :thumbup:
Does birding need a racial reckoning?
Some birds are named for enslavers or Confederates, but that is about to change

The hawk formerly known as Cooper's

What’s happening

* Last week, the American Ornithological Society said it would change the name of any bird whose name referenced a historical figure: Cooper’s Hawk, for example, or Townsend’s warbler. Birds will no longer be named after people but, instead, after each one’s physical traits or native habitats.

* The change is intended to reflect the fact that some of those birds are named for people who owned slaves, supported the Confederacy or partook in anti-Indigenous campaigns. Bird names “deemed offensive and exclusionary” will also be changed.

* Audubon's shearwater, named after John James Audubon, the famed 19th century naturalist who owned slaves, will soon have a new name. So will Scott’s oriole, named after Winfield Scott, responsible for the violent displacement and dispossession of Native American people in the 19th century.

* “Exclusionary naming conventions developed in the 1800s, clouded by racism and misogyny, don’t work for us today, and the time has come for us to transform this process and redirect the focus to the birds, where it belongs,” said American Ornithological Society executive director Judith Scarl.

Why there’s debate

*The announcement about bird names comes at a time of a broader racial reckoning across industries and at many prominent institutions, with fierce debates taking place about which historical figures should be cast aside views on slavery and other topics that are widely considered offensive today. Statues have been taken down and buildings renamed, meeting resistance along the way.
Excellent, no more bigot birds. Give them the :obscene-birdiered:
* Critics of the bird-renaming project won a victory in March, when the National Audubon Society voted to keep its name despite Audubon’s defense of slavery. “The name has come to represent so much more than the work of one person,” the Audubon Society’s board of directors chair Susan Bell said at the time. Some local Audubon chapters have made their own name changes....
I can see the point, but pressure will only increase on Audubon in the future. Next decade.

The article continues with bilateral debate.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:21 pm
They've now charged the Black dock worker who appeared from the start to be a victim just trying to do his job. :wtf:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/alabama-river ... 52269.html
People Are Outraged After The Black Co-Captain From The Alabama Brawl Was Reportedly Charged With Third-Degree Assault

:think:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:43 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:21 pm
They've now charged the Black dock worker who appeared from the start to be a victim just trying to do his job. :wtf:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/alabama-river ... 52269.html
People Are Outraged After The Black Co-Captain From The Alabama Brawl Was Reportedly Charged With Third-Degree Assault

:think:
I didn’t go back and watch again, but I’m pretty sure the co-captain was defending himself.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:51 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:10 pm
DerSantis' fascist Florida detests local control.

Now, the animals shitting on those remaining racist statues won't be racist. :thumbup:
Does birding need a racial reckoning?
Some birds are named for enslavers or Confederates, but that is about to change

The hawk formerly known as Cooper's

What’s happening

* Last week, the American Ornithological Society said it would change the name of any bird whose name referenced a historical figure: Cooper’s Hawk, for example, or Townsend’s warbler. Birds will no longer be named after people but, instead, after each one’s physical traits or native habitats.

* The change is intended to reflect the fact that some of those birds are named for people who owned slaves, supported the Confederacy or partook in anti-Indigenous campaigns. Bird names “deemed offensive and exclusionary” will also be changed.

* Audubon's shearwater, named after John James Audubon, the famed 19th century naturalist who owned slaves, will soon have a new name. So will Scott’s oriole, named after Winfield Scott, responsible for the violent displacement and dispossession of Native American people in the 19th century.

* “Exclusionary naming conventions developed in the 1800s, clouded by racism and misogyny, don’t work for us today, and the time has come for us to transform this process and redirect the focus to the birds, where it belongs,” said American Ornithological Society executive director Judith Scarl.

Why there’s debate

*The announcement about bird names comes at a time of a broader racial reckoning across industries and at many prominent institutions, with fierce debates taking place about which historical figures should be cast aside views on slavery and other topics that are widely considered offensive today. Statues have been taken down and buildings renamed, meeting resistance along the way.
Excellent, no more bigot birds. Give them the :obscene-birdiered:
* Critics of the bird-renaming project won a victory in March, when the National Audubon Society voted to keep its name despite Audubon’s defense of slavery. “The name has come to represent so much more than the work of one person,” the Audubon Society’s board of directors chair Susan Bell said at the time. Some local Audubon chapters have made their own name changes....
I can see the point, but pressure will only increase on Audubon in the future. Next decade.

The article continues with bilateral debate.
The first paragraph makes sense to me, as Cooper doesn’t own the species of hawk, nor does Townsend own the warbler. I like it. But the next part hardly makes any sense. Are all birds that are named after people, also named after slave owners? If not, then why is this included at all.

“American Ornithological Society said it would change the name of any bird whose name referenced a historical figure: Cooper’s Hawk, for example, or Townsend’s warbler. Birds will no longer be named after people but, instead, after each one’s physical traits or native habitats.”

“* The change is intended to reflect the fact that some of those birds are named for people who owned slaves, supported the Confederacy or partook in anti-Indigenous campaigns. Bird names “deemed offensive and exclusionary” will also be changed.”

More and more I’m seeing even the slightest brush with slavery (but only slavery in the South) as cause to discount all other accomplishments.
Easy for me to sit here 160 years after slavery and call it completely evil and all involved in ownership as evil worthless creatures, but I’d be wrong. Like anything or anyone else there’s good and bad all rolled up together.

So forget Audubon. He never existed. Erase his name from his artwork and remove any plaques bearing his slaver name. We should also quickly without hesitation, Impeach any of our scum sucking slaver Presidents, governors, senators, etc. Do we tear down the buildings in NYC and all along the east coast that were built by slaves?

Our past, mankind’s past was brutal at times. Do we wipe away everything that doesn’t fit in 2023? Almost everywhere had slavery, but to my knowledge no other country has made such an effort to erase the good works some of these people did.

Can’t there be offsetting deeds?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:47 am
I didn’t go back and watch again, but I’m pretty sure the co-captain was defending himself.
That is what I and most of the commenters believe. He was certainly outnumbered at first, but I'm not 100% sure that we've seen the first few seconds of the melee.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:35 am
The first paragraph makes sense to me, as Cooper doesn’t own the species of hawk, nor does Townsend own the warbler. I like it. But the next part hardly makes any sense. Are all birds that are named after people, also named after slave owners? If not, then why is this included at all.

“American Ornithological Society said it would change the name of any bird whose name referenced a historical figure: Cooper’s Hawk, for example, or Townsend’s warbler. Birds will no longer be named after people but, instead, after each one’s physical traits or native habitats.”

“* The change is intended to reflect the fact that some of those birds are named for people who owned slaves, supported the Confederacy or partook in anti-Indigenous campaigns. Bird names “deemed offensive and exclusionary” will also be changed.”

More and more I’m seeing even the slightest brush with slavery (but only slavery in the South) as cause to discount all other accomplishments.
Easy for me to sit here 160 years after slavery and call it completely evil and all involved in ownership as evil worthless creatures, but I’d be wrong. Like anything or anyone else there’s good and bad all rolled up together.

So forget Audubon. He never existed. Erase his name from his artwork and remove any plaques bearing his slaver name. We should also quickly without hesitation, Impeach any of our scum sucking slaver Presidents, governors, senators, etc. Do we tear down the buildings in NYC and all along the east coast that were built by slaves?

Our past, mankind’s past was brutal at times. Do we wipe away everything that doesn’t fit in 2023? Almost everywhere had slavery, but to my knowledge no other country has made such an effort to erase the good works some of these people did.

A guess: The American Ornithological Society is removing all human names figuring 'Better safe than sorry' with potential future revelations. They're just birds, so I'm not bothered by it. Maybe "physical traits or native habitats" names are better than forced linking with humans, anyhow. I always liked 'blue-footed booby' and 'spotted nutcracker'.

Slavery was indeed known to be "completely evil" by people around the world and here in the US for decades before it was abolished. So, I have no problem with removing the honorifics like bird and place names for anyone that was complicit. As for "offsetting deeds", let the museums and history books present full and balanced accounts of the individuals. People can then make up their own minds.

Who is saying that we should tear down buildings "that were built by slaves"? News to me. Plaques pointing out who the builders were would be nice, though.

Sure, there's a 'slippery slope' risk, but society is capable of stopping the slide as has happened with the Audubon Society name.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I could see if those responsible for naming birds said "in the future, birds must be named for descriptive characteristics and no person's name may be used." Fine. I don't see changing the names of current birds, particularly those whose names have skeleton-free closets. I don't know what if anything Cooper ever did with slavery, but if you can't find it with a cursory search, I say it's probably forgettable. Take slavery out of the issue temporarily. Will Tim Allen be mainly remembered as a comedian and star of 'Home Improvement' or as a low level drug dealer who served three years in prison? OK, so minor league drug dealing isn't the same as slave-owning, but the principle is the same. Being a criminal (or whatever) early in one's life shouldn't wipe out good things done later.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:27 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:47 am
That is what I and most of the commenters believe. He was certainly outnumbered at first, but I'm not 100% sure that we've seen the first few seconds of the melee.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:35 am

A guess: The American Ornithological Society is removing all human names figuring 'Better safe than sorry' with potential future revelations. They're just birds, so I'm not bothered by it. Maybe "physical traits or native habitats" names are better than forced linking with humans, anyhow. I always liked 'blue-footed booby' and 'spotted nutcracker'.

Slavery was indeed known to be "completely evil" by people around the world and here in the US for decades before it was abolished. So, I have no problem with removing the honorifics like bird and place names for anyone that was complicit. As for "offsetting deeds", let the museums and history books present full and balanced accounts of the individuals. People can then make up their own minds.

Who is saying that we should tear down buildings "that were built by slaves"? News to me. Plaques pointing out who the builders were would be nice, though.

Sure, there's a 'slippery slope' risk, but society is capable of stopping the slide as has happened with the Audubon Society name.
I thought it peculiar to 1st determine to change all people referenced names before editorializing on slavery.

If you remove all human names from birds, the slaver names go without a whisper.
So, why do it? Unless they’re deliberately trying to piss off the Lost Causers - unlikely.

More likely - the article doesn’t describe the originating process. 1) someone suggests eliminating the slaver names, which inspires 2) the idea to remove all human names and any that might be offensive. - good idea

O Really
Admiral

As long as they don't change the Rosy-breasted Pushover.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:25 am
I could see if those responsible for naming birds said "in the future, birds must be named for descriptive characteristics and no person's name may be used." Fine. I don't see changing the names of current birds, particularly those whose names have skeleton-free closets. I don't know what if anything Cooper ever did with slavery, but if you can't find it with a cursory search, I say it's probably forgettable. Take slavery out of the issue temporarily. Will Tim Allen be mainly remembered as a comedian and star of 'Home Improvement' or as a low level drug dealer who served three years in prison? OK, so minor league drug dealing isn't the same as slave-owning, but the principle is the same. Being a criminal (or whatever) early in one's life shouldn't wipe out good things done later.
worse than any agricultural use of slaves was the slave ship. Chained below deck with a survival rate near 50%, it was a horrific experience for the slaves.

Yet this hymn came out of a slave ship’s captain rejection of his own career.

Amazing grace! how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!
The Lord hath promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.
When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we first begun.

Besides, what whiskey drinker can reject the actions of Uncle Nearest?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:07 pm
As long as they don't change the Rosy-breasted Pushover.
Commonly called a “slut bird”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:35 pm

worse than any agricultural use of slaves was the slave ship. Chained below deck with a survival rate near 50%, it was a horrific experience for the slaves.

Yet this hymn came out of a slave ship’s captain rejection of his own career.

Amazing grace! how sweet the sound,
OMG, we'll have to stop singing that. And stop listening to Willie Nelson who regularly did a great rendition.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If absurd Henny Penny hyperbole is all you've got . . .

It's just honorific bird names and EVERYONE is affected, don't have a cow. If someone wants to cancel Amazing Grace, a ridiculous notion, we'll deal with it then.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well I wouldn't be the first to engage in Henny Penny hyperbole, would I? I didn't know about the author of "Amazing Grace" and don't care about his past, but it's definitely not ridiculous to think there are some maybe a lot who would ditch the song because of it. Sillier things have happened. Boycotting Willie might be a bit exaggerated though

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:33 pm
If absurd Henny Penny hyperbole is all you've got . . .

It's just honorific bird names and EVERYONE is affected, don't have a cow. If someone wants to cancel Amazing Grace, a ridiculous notion, we'll deal with it then.
Sorry that you misunderstood my attempt at sarcasm.

To me the wonderful Amazing Grace story is about redemption. His rejection of his earlier self IS his story.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The eji is opening a monument park.

https://youtu.be/aINHWenTSfw?si=sa_D6zrt2PYPBBlB

https://legacysites.eji.org/news/eji-an ... ture-park/

Introducing Freedom Monument Sculpture Park

“Freedom Monument Sculpture Park, which features breathtaking sculptures and original artifacts, offers an immersive, multifaceted examination of American history with a focus on slavery and its legacy. Opening in early 2024, the 17-acre site along the Alabama River features the National Monument to Freedom, which memorializes more than 100,000 family names, honoring enslaved people who were emancipated after the Civil War, and their descendants“

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:54 pm
The eji is opening a monument park.

https://youtu.be/aINHWenTSfw?si=sa_D6zrt2PYPBBlB

https://legacysites.eji.org/news/eji-an ... ture-park/

Introducing Freedom Monument Sculpture Park

“Freedom Monument Sculpture Park, which features breathtaking sculptures and original artifacts, offers an immersive, multifaceted examination of American history with a focus on slavery and its legacy. Opening in early 2024, the 17-acre site along the Alabama River features the National Monument to Freedom, which memorializes more than 100,000 family names, honoring enslaved people who were emancipated after the Civil War, and their descendants“
Fuckin' CRT! They should be honest and just call it the HATE WHITEY Park.

Idk about Alabama but school field trips there would be banned by Facist DerSantis' Florida.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Wondered what, if anything happened to this guy. :happy-cheerleaderkid:

I'm sure he'll have an easy time of it in prison.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:16 pm
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, they did arrest one of the women.

https://www.wsfa.com/2023/08/10/woman-a ... ont-brawl/
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:30 pm
:clap:
... CNN, citing court documents, is reporting that a witness said that racist language was hurled before the brawl started. The witness reportedly gave a sworn statement to law enforcement that the slur was said as the co-captain was trying to move the pontoon boat from the Harriott II’s docking spot.

It’s unclear exactly who is alleged to have made the slurs....
Might there be a hate crime enhancement coming?
Probably all of the white boys
Looks like no hate crime enhancements. Sure looked racial to me, but hate crime evidence is difficult to amass, and should be.
Two men plead guilty to harassment charges in Montgomery riverfront brawl

... Allen Todd and Zachery Shipman each had a 60-day jail sentence suspended, pending their cooperation in performing their remaining duties, the Montgomery docket says. Both defendants will be required to complete 12 months of probation and 100 hours of community service. They will also have to enroll in and complete anger management training, and pay their individual court costs....

In a widely circulated video of the incident, a man appears to come to Pickett’s aide, swinging a chair in the air. That man, identified by police as Reggie Ray, has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct, according to court records. He was given a 90-day suspended sentence on the condition that he complete 50 hours of community service, the records show.

The incident largely broke down along racial lines in a city with both a fraught history of racial violence and a proud place in the civil rights movement.

Police said Pickett, who is Black, and the 16-year-old White dockworker who ferried him over to speak with the owner of the private boat, were both assaulted.

Two other defendants charged in the case were sentenced in October after pleading guilty.

Mary Todd was sentenced to anger management classes after pleading guilty to harassment as part of a plea agreement.
That's ironic that she shares Abe Lincoln's wife's name.
Richard Roberts, who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault, was sentenced to 32 days, which he was set to serve on weekends over the course of four months, along with community service....
Richard Roberts is one of the men that Montgomery Police issued a warrant for after the brawl.

I wonder why he got the harshest sentence.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

OMV responds to ‘racist’ Louisiana license plate

LINCHN1

Am I missing something here? To me, that reads as 'Linch NOne', an anti-linching message. Anyhow:
... The Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles issued a statement in response to the plate.

The Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles sent a notification to the owner, recalling the plate. A new plate will be assigned to the vehicle. Ethnic, racial, vulgar, or indecent connotation that may be offensive to good taste and decency are not allowed on personalized plates. In this particular request, Louisiana OMV personnel inadvertently overlooked this personalized license plate, leading to an unfortunate mistake.

Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles
:headscratch:
1312. ETTD.