Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 pm
Agreed, but it's usage still doesn't make a racial distinction except as may result just from there being more white people in the group. If you look for something like "best countries to retire in" for example, you'll get comments like, "Spain is an expats paradise" or "there's a large expat community in Cabo San Lucas" etc.
It would be interesting to see how often Europeans living here are referred to as expats vs. Latinos, Africans and Asians.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:44 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:27 pm
I think the archdiocese for Kentucky is Louisville. Be interested to see if they step up.
Weird, that's not the Yahoo! article that I saw and linked. The one I read looked more like this one and included:
Didn't see that one.....
In a joint statement to the Cincinnati Enquirer , the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School apologized to Phillips. Officials said they are investigating and will take "appropriate action, up to and including expulsion."
According to the "Indian Country Today" website, Phillips is an Omaha elder and Vietnam veteran who holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American veterans at Arlington National Cemetery.

"When I was there singing, I heard them saying 'Build that wall, build that wall,'" Phillips said, as he wiped away tears in a video posted on Instagram. "This is indigenous lands. We're not supposed to have walls here. We never did."
Expulsion is to good for for them.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
As far as I know, the Cuban community in Miami is commonly referred to as expats.
Interesting, quick google of "Cuban community in Miami", 1st page:

exiles, no expats
neither in the article, exiles, no expats in "Further reading"
migrants, no exiles or expats
exiles, no expats

Very unscientific, though. I was hoping to confirm your post since it made sense.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:58 pm
Didn't see that one.

Expulsion is too good for for them....
What you quoted wasn't in my link when I linked it. Apparently, it's a fluid story at Yahoo! So far, so good, we'll see what the final actions by the church and school are.

I would have been sooo tempted to smack that grin off of the punk's face.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:10 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
As far as I know, the Cuban community in Miami is commonly referred to as expats.

exiles, no expats
exiles, no expats

Very unscientific, though. I was hoping to confirm your post since it made sense.
I don't think hardly any of the original Cubans came here by truly free choice or expected their time to be temporary - except for a long-lasting hope that "someday" things would be different in Cuba and they could return.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:10 pm
neoplacebo wrote:

exiles, no expats
exiles, no expats

I am certain I've read things in the past that refer to the Miami Cubans as expatriates. I just did a search on yahoo for "references to Cuban community of Miami as expatriates" and got several titles of articles published over a lengthy period of time. Must just be a semantic thing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:45 pm
I am certain I've read things in the past that refer to the Miami Cubans as expatriates. I just did a search on yahoo for "references to Cuban community of Miami as expatriates" and got several titles of articles published over a lengthy period of time. Must just be a semantic thing.
I was doing a different search at the same time. Searching "cuban expat" does return references to expats living in Cuba and Cubans living here. Doesn't tell us anything about how common the phrase is.

When I think of "expat" I picture a white American living abroad.
When I think of "immigrant" I picture a brown Latino living here.
But, maybe that's my semantic racism and not society's.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 pm

When I think of "expat" I picture a white American living abroad.
When I think of "immigrant" I picture a brown Latino living here.
But, maybe that's my semantic racism and not society's.
I wouldn't accuse you of racism, semantic, Semitic, or otherwise, but fact is, most of the brown Latinos in the US are indeed "immigrants" but not "expats."
Most of the Americans living abroad are indeed white, even if their demographics mirror exactly that of the US as a whole (which they don't)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm
I wouldn't accuse you of racism, semantic, Semitic, or otherwise, but fact is, most of the brown Latinos in the US are indeed "immigrants" but not "expats."
Most of the Americans living abroad are indeed white, even if their demographics mirror exactly that of the US as a whole (which they don't)
I don't know what the numbers are on Latinos, but I think a lot of them do or hope to return once they've made enough money. Many send money back to families that never come here, and would bounce back and forth if they could. Then, I'm not sure about your definition of expat.
O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm
The term most certainly doesn't apply to "just white people." It is typically used for a person who chooses to live in another country with no intent to live there permanently or to seek citizenship. An immigrant is any person coming to a country with the (general) intent to live there permanently. An emmigrant is a person leaving a country with no particular intent to return. It may very well be that more white people than not have jobs that take them to other countries, or snowbird in another country or live for a couple of years in another country for school, adventure, whatever, but it is not a racist term.
expatriate

verb (used with object), ex·pa·tri·at·ed, ex·pa·tri·at·ing.
1. to banish (a person) from his or her native country.
2. to withdraw (oneself) from residence in one's native country.
3. to withdraw (oneself) from allegiance to one's country.

verb (used without object), ex·pa·tri·at·ed, ex·pa·tri·at·ing.
to become an expatriate: He expatriated from his homeland.

adjective
expatriated; exiled.

noun
an expatriated person: Many American writers were living as expatriates in Paris.
Sounds as permanent as your definition of immigrant/emigrant. IF they are the same, then maybe it matters who we describe with which word.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

When I think of expatriate, I think of Hemingway in Cuba, British nobles who chose to stay in Delhi or Calcutta, upper crust Frenchmen who remained in Saigon after they also lost the war in Vietnam, and even New Yorkers who move to Key West. I suppose the term is a Swiss Army knife for those who use it.

O Really
Admiral

Usage of the language varies, some correct, some incorrect. But the statement by an African national writing for a UK publication said, "expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad." Insofar as US common usage, that statement is patently incorrect.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 am
Usage of the language varies, some correct, some incorrect. But the statement by an African national writing for a UK publication said, "expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad." Insofar as US common usage, that statement is patently incorrect.
Yep, our language is quite flexible. Hell, when you get right down to it, Aaron Hernandez was an ex Patriot. :shock:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

There's the same exact debate going on in the comments under the article, mostly UK folks, still residing there and expats/immigrants around the world. Correct or not, the author succeeded in making people think.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

More to the story, though it doesn't change my opinion of the MAGA brats:

Video Shows Racially Charged Encounter Prior to Covington Catholic-Nathan Phillips Incident
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:41 pm
More to the story, though it doesn't change my opinion of the MAGA brats:

Video Shows Racially Charged Encounter Prior to Covington Catholic-Nathan Phillips Incident
Link says the video no longer exists
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:46 pm
Link says the video no longer exists
Yeah, I just went with the text description. Here:

Full video of what transpired regarding Catholic High students
First 45 minutes are african americans being incredibly racist and threatening violence against the students directly. Kept that in the upload in case someone accuses me of deceptive editing. Nothing here was edited, at all. This is the whole video of the entire event. Starts getting interesting around @1:10:00 Native Americans invade the student rally at 1:11:24. You can see them come across directly, and instigate the confrontation with the kids. The kids were minding their own business. At NO point in the entire video do they chant "build the wall."
There's definitely differing opinions over whether the Native Americans instigated or interceded. I just watched from 1:09 to 1:14. The drummers placed themselves between the blacks and the kids, then the kids moved to get in the drummers' faces and were instantly mocking them.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm not a UK royals groupie, but it's hard to miss the flood of negative stories from anonymous sources about Meghan Markle when she's outwardly doing nothing wrong. Anti-Americanism seems unlikely given the level of vitriol, so I've been wondering if it's a racial thing. Evidently, I'm not the only one.

Paper slammed for accusing Meghan Markle of showing off her baby bump while praising Kate Middleton: 'Racist much?'
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.