israel determined to start war

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: israel determined to start war

Unread post by Vrede too »

They followed evacuation orders. An Israeli airstrike killed them the next day.

... The next day, an Israeli airstrike in the area destroyed parts of the building where Aaed’s family sought refuge – killing him and 12 other members of his family, including seven children.
:cry: x 13.
... While an estimated 500,000 Palestinians have fled northern Gaza for the south since Friday, many others are unable to make the journey south of the evacuation zone and are stuck in northern Gaza....
Ethnic cleansing :angry-cussing:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Alicia Keys Responds To Outcry Over Paragliding Post After Hamas Attack
The singer faced accusations that she was being insensitive amid the escalating war between Israel and the militant group.

... The reference to paragliding after Hamas fighters infiltrated Israel by using the flying contraptions incited harsh comments accusing the “Girl on Fire” singer of endorsing the group’s attack on civilians. Hamas’ initial siege left more than 1,300 dead. Israel responded by launching an offensive against Hamas, killing more than 1,500 in Gaza and ordering 1.1 million Palestinian civilians to leave their homes.

Some commenters even interpreted the green color of her jacket as support for Hamas ― all of which Keys dismissed....

Keys’ former manager, Israeli American Guy Oseary, jumped to her defense. He wrote that Keys’ mention of paragliding was “triggering” in his community, but Keys had no idea of its significance at the moment.

“I spoke to Alicia and she was horrified to learn what the word implied and immediately took it down,” he wrote. “Alicia has always been a fighter for all human rights.”

The Hollywood Reporter speculated that Keys was simply commenting on the sport of paragliding because she and husband Swizz Beatz live near popular paragliding spots in San Diego. She also expressed previous interest in trying paragliding, CNN noted.
Another irony has bothered me for 10 days now. It's even in the name, paraGLIDING. Hamas used POWERED parachutes. I have also flown these, though I was not armed. I haven't read any analysis of their effectiveness, but my own impression is that they were more about PR than anything else. They would have limited military/terror usefulness due to noise, slow speed, vulnerability to wind, visibility, lack of armor, etc.

You go paragliding, Alicia, it's a DIFFERENT sport.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Child-murdering liars:

Israel Falsely Claimed Footage Showed Doll, Not Dead Child, Palestinian Journalist Says
The Israeli government said Hamas “accidentally” posted the video. But the Palestinian journalist behind the footage says otherwise.

A photo by Agence France-Presse photographer Mohammed Abed shows a Palestinian man in Gaza City holding what appears to be a child wrapped in a shroud, Oct. 12, 2023. The website Alt News has cited the photo as evidence that contested footage posted last week by journalist Momen El Halabi is authentic. MOHAMMED ABED via Getty Images

Israel's cowardly LIES about the pic have millions of views. :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Gigi Hadid re-posted this years-old image:

Fairly tame and most people would agree, right? Even those that disagree can do so rationally, and take into account that she's a model, not a policy maker, right? Nope, the Israeli govt chose to have a sick and extreme cow, instead:

State of Israel Instagram Account Tags Gigi Hadid in Gruesome Photo
"Have you been sleeping this past week?" the account wrote after the half-Palestinian supermodel shared a post condemning both Hamas and the Israeli government.

They even lie about her:
... This was Hadid’s second post about the Israel-Hamas war (which does negate the State of Israel account’s claim that she’s been silent). On Wednesday, October 11, she shared a lengthy statement to her Instagram that read, in part: “I have deep empathy and heartbreak for the Palestinian struggle and life under occupation, it’s a responsibility I hold daily. I also feel a responsibility to my Jewish friends to make it clear, as I have before: While I have hopes and dreams for Palestinians, none of them include the harm of a Jewish person.”
Again, an honorable opinion to hold.
... Considering how many people of extreme influence are posting about this conflict, it’s unclear why the official government Instagram account of a country at war is making the time to single out one individual woman—whose public statements have been arguably compassionate to both sides of this conflict—other than the fact that she’s of Palestinian descent.
Because they're bigoted genocidal assholes?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Gaza Greek Orthodox Church Blast—What We Know

... Videos emerged early on Friday of apparent damage and casualties at the St. Porphyrios Orthodox Church in Gaza City; the region's oldest church that was reportedly serving as a shelter for hundreds of Palestinians displaced in Israel's 13-day-old military campaign.

Palestinian authorities and the Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem blamed the Israeli military. The Patriarchate published a statement in which it expressed "its strongest condemnation of the Israeli airstrike that have struck its church compound in the city of Gaza."

Thursday's attack, it added, "constitutes a war crime that cannot be ignored."

Palestinians search the destroyed annex of the Greek Orthodox St. Porphyrios Church, damaged in a strike on Gaza City on October 20, 2023. Gaza's oldest church was reportedly serving as a shelter for hundreds of Palestinians displaced by Israel's ongoing military campaign.

Gaza authorities reported—as quoted by Reuters—that 18 Palestinian Christians had been killed....

(Israeli confession and excuse-making)
Opps. Where's the outrage from US fundies? Maybe Greek Orthodox aren't the "right" kind of xtians.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Former US Congressman's Family Members Killed in Gaza Church Blast

Former Congressman Justin Amash announced on Friday that several of his relatives were killed after an Israeli airstrike hit a Greek Orthodox church in the Gaza Strip.

... The Gaza Health Ministry told the Associated Press on Friday that 3,785 Palestinians have been killed and more than 12,500 others have been wounded....

Amash represented Michigan's 3rd Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives from 2011 to 2021. He was the first Palestinian-American to represent his state in Congress, and he began his stint as a Republican before becoming an independent in 2019. In 2020, he joined the Libertarian Party....

... Current Michigan Representative Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat who has drawn controversy for criticizing President Joe Biden's strong support of Israel in its reaction to the Hamas attack, responded to Amash's X post.

"I am so sorry Justin," Tlaib wrote....
:cry: It would be tragically ironic if he voted to fund the Israeli bomb that eventually killed his family.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Long ago I suggested - with at least a little seriousness, that the rest of the world build a big fence around that area and name it Thunderdome. Two go in, only one comes out. Have at it, guys. Settle a thousands year feud and let's all be on with it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:48 pm
Long ago I suggested - with at least a little seriousness, that the rest of the world build a big fence around that area and name it Thunderdome. Two go in, only one comes out. Have at it, guys. Settle a thousands year feud and let's all be on with it.
:think: We desire the oil and radioactive fallout would likely come out, too.

Unscientific WLOS poll:

Do you think Israel’s response to the Hamas terror attack is appropriate?
Yes 86%
No 14%, including me
:thumbdown: :problem:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:48 pm
:think: We desire the oil and radioactive fallout would likely come out, too.

Unscientific WLOS poll:

Do you think Israel’s response to the Hamas terror attack is appropriate?
Yes 86%
No 14%, including me
:thumbdown: :problem:
With special dispensation given to the wisdom of those whose name starts with "V", I would venture to say the vast majority of those who clicked an answer to that very vague question are not in the least qualified to answer. I would guess that most of that 86% looked at the atrocities committed by Hamas, determined them to clearly be evil and find the most "appropriate" response would be to squash them. OKfine. If "them" is Hamas, but do you suppose they know what percent of Gazans are Hamas and that prior to the attack, Hamas wasn't even that popular?
F'rinstance:
The argument that the entire population of Gaza can be held responsible for Hamas’s actions is quickly discredited when one looks at the facts. Arab Barometer, a research network where we serve as co-principal investigators, conducted a survey in Gaza and the West Bank days before the Israel-Hamas war broke out. The findings, published here for the first time, reveal that rather than supporting Hamas, the vast majority of Gazans have been frustrated with the armed group’s ineffective governance as they endure extreme economic hardship. Most Gazans do not align themselves with Hamas’s ideology, either. Unlike Hamas, whose goal is to destroy the Israeli state, the majority of survey respondents favored a two-state solution with an independent Palestine and Israel existing side by side.

Continued violence will not bring the future most Gazans hope for any closer. Instead of stamping out sympathy for terrorism, past Israeli crackdowns that make life more difficult for ordinary Gazans have increased support for Hamas. If the current military campaign in Gaza has a similar effect on Palestinian public opinion, it will further set back the cause of long-term peace.
So, if they knew that, would they still think squashing everybody is "appropriate" And if the question were re-phrased to be "Do you think the 70% of Gazans who are not active members or supporters of Hamas should be starved, burned out of their houses and bombed into oblivion?" would we still get that 86% approval?

And if they knew that Hamas people don't wear nametags and have 300 miles of reinforced tunnels in a 141 square mile space, do you suppose they'd still find carpet bombing and sieging to be "appropriate"? Do any of them remember how effective that was in Vietnam?

More examples of people wanting quick one-size fits all simple solutions for complex problems.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Agreed, including the disgust expressed for "evil" Hamas.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Several at lnf believe that Hamas is paying $10,000 and an apartment for each Israeli hostage
And why
Because an Israeli told them so.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:59 pm
Several at lnf believe that Hamas is paying $10,000 and an apartment for each Israeli hostage
And why
Not to imply Hamas are nice guys, nor to downplay the misery of being kidnapped and held hostage, but apparently Hamas treats hostages better than one might think, and probably better than Israel will treat any of them they catch. According to the last elderly woman they turned loose, "...captives were treated well and received medical care, including medication. The guards kept conditions clean, she said. Hostages were given one meal a day of cheese, cucumber and pita, she said, adding that her captors ate the same."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:59 pm
And why
Most likely someone online claiming to be "an Israeli" who the Losers 'N' Fools never verified. Gaza apartments aren't very safe from Israeli bombing, are they? :headscratch:

Israel rushes missile boats to Red Sea after Yemen’s Houthis declare war

I doubt that the Houthis constitute a serious threat, but their involvement brings Iran that much closer to war. :problem: :thumbdown:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

There's an awful lot of handwringing going on over posters of the Hamas hostages and people ripping them down. As a person who has put up thousands of posters over the years, it's a FACT that doing so on public or private property without permission is ILLEGAL. I have yet to see this currently reported. Ripping them down is usually enforcing the law, and the poster-trashers have a stronger 1A RIGHT than the people that put them up. It just comes with the territory. So, STFU, crybabies. Related, Faux Noise whiner calling for pro-Zionist postering violence:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... hite-house
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:24 am
I've never heard of it but it's interesting and makes sense.

Were the Hamas attacks on Israel so brutal because the killers were high on the drug Captagon?
There's always some new drug that's the scourge of civilization and will bring about its imminent downfall. Not to diminish how dangerous some drugs can be, but the current boogeyman here in the US is fentanyl when it was meth not that long ago. Before that were oxy, K2, bath salts, Purple Drank, crack, GHB, Ecstasy, heroin, powder cocaine, angel dust, glue sniffing, etc. Each new "epidemic" comes with the same old Rx - harsh prohibition. Funny that.

Meth, of course, is speed and if one makes it to the end of the article we see that the Nazis, the UK and the US all gave (still give?) their warriors speed. What makes Captagon unique is that it's cheap and easy to produce, not that it's got some special properties. Speed and aggression have always been linked, as have speed and chronic self harm. "Speed Kills was a caution by and for hippies 55 years ago. Anyhow, let's have a Red Bull or two and chat some more about it. :wave:

Under-reported:
How a Campaign of Extremist (Israeli settler and soldier) Violence Is Pushing the West Bank to the Brink

Notice how even the NYT headline prior to my editing muddles who the referenced extremists are in what is an otherwise informative, disturbing and sad article. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:37 am
What a fucking mess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat ... ine_region
:angry-banghead: All over site-based supernaturalism. The world would be better off if a larger chunk of, say, more verdant Nebraska had been offered to one party or another in 1948 and accepted.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

90% of wingnuts won't understand this.

The problem today is Hamas doesn't care and unless they are effectively neutralized they will kill en masse again.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:36 pm
90% of wingnuts won't understand this.

The problem today is Hamas doesn't care and unless they are effectively neutralized they will kill en masse again.

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/stat ... 3546320324
By "unbearable" I think Obama is also saying, in effect:
The problem today is Nuttyyahoo's Israel doesn't care and unless they are effectively neutralized they will continue killing en masse in large numbers like now or with the genocide of perpetual occupation, blockade and apartheid like prior to the Hamas obscenity.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Democratic Rep. Tlaib accuses Biden of supporting Palestinian ‘genocide’ and warns of political ramifications

Thousands of pro-Palestinian protesters gather in DC, NY, London, as Israel bombs Gaza

Palestine/Israel has been a tar baby for several POTUSes over the decades. I hope Biden/Blinken somehow cope with wisdom and compassion.
1312. ETTD.