2022 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2022 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:01 pm
Another election denier bites the dust.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving b$%*h.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

:obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: Kari Lake & Dolt .45. Now STFU and go home. Is there an analysis of how TRE45QN rallies affected the results?

AK hasn't been called by everyone, but the RepuQ will win. The tally is one pickup by the GQP, NV :thumbdown: , 3 pickups by the Dems - MA, MD & now AZ! Unheard of for a midterm, Joe rocks! The ultimate count will be 26-24 RepuQs, close.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Losing the House isn't fun, but giving the Repugs a razor thin margin is as good as can be expected. They won't be able to pass anything probably without rounding up a few Dems, and if it's crazy it will get shot down in the Senate anyway. They can of course refuse to pass anything Biden wants, too, but c'est la vie.

If I were McCarthy, and I'm so glad I'm not, I would go visit P-Lo and try to cut a deal for some Dem support in getting the Speaker gavel. He'd have to trade off something valuable to the moon-barking droolers, but they're the ones trying to deny him the job in the first place.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:00 am
Losing the House isn't fun, but giving the Repugs a razor thin margin is as good as can be expected. They won't be able to pass anything probably without rounding up a few Dems, and if it's crazy it will get shot down in the Senate anyway. They can of course refuse to pass anything Biden wants, too, but c'est la vie.

If I were McCarthy, and I'm so glad I'm not, I would go visit P-Lo and try to cut a deal for some Dem support in getting the Speaker gavel. He'd have to trade off something valuable to the moon-barking droolers, but they're the ones trying to deny him the job in the first place.
The MTG et al contingent is asking for some wild concessions with will neuter McCarthy big time.

As if his manhood isn't eviscerated enough.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:09 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:00 am

The MTG et al contingent is asking for some wild concessions with will neuter McCarthy big time.

As if his manhood isn't eviscerated enough.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Dems would probably only cut out one nut.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:16 am
You're probably right, but I could also see the case for not rewarding his J6 betrayal of the House and country, and letting the GQP sort out it's own fucked up mess. I sure wouldn't trust anything he promises. I'd hope the deal would be public rather than backroom, but that may be asking too much.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:35 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:16 am
You're probably right, but I could also see the case for not rewarding his J6 betrayal of the House and country, and letting the GQP sort out it's own fucked up mess. I sure wouldn't trust anything he promises. I'd hope the deal would be public rather than backroom, but that may be asking too much.
Sure, but it's not like any alternative the moon-barking droolers would go for would be better. Not likely, but it would be immeasurably worse if Greene was Speaker. It's not like they'd elect Kinzinger. Of course, McCarthy has reportedly been getting coached by Gingrich, so he could be trying to get worse. I just think the time for the Dems to get a little out of the deal is now, when the Repugs are in worse disarray than usual.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:39 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:35 am
Sure, but it's not like any alternative the moon-barking droolers would go for would be better. Not likely, but it would be immeasurably worse if Greene was Speaker. It's not like they'd elect Kinzinger. Of course, McCarthy has reportedly been getting coached by Gingrich, so he could be trying to get worse. I just think the time for the Dems to get a little out of the deal is now, when the Repugs are in worse disarray than usual.
Kinzinger retired.

I know, Nancy holding her nose and working something out may be the smartest route, although just a handful of moderate Repubs and every Dem could install a Kinzinger-like Speaker. It's just the sadist in me that would enjoy the RepuQs fish slapping each other while they decide, since McCarthy is such a scumbag.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:51 am

Kinzinger retired.

I know, Nancy holding her nose and working something out may be the smartest route, although just a handful of moderate Repubs and every Dem could install a Kinzinger-like Speaker. It's just the sadist in me that would enjoy the RepuQs fish slapping each other while they decide, since McCarthy is such a scumbag.
:lol: Yeah, I forgot Kinzinger retired. I was just looking for a quick example of a non-moon-barking Repug. They're not that easy to come by. I have ordered in additional popcorn for the expected fish slap showdown, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: Jared Huffman was reelected with 74% of the vote in CA2, the state's northernmost coastal district.

Aside: The red-blue House map of the Left Coast is stark, a perfect skinny blue line of coastal districts from Canada until reaching some undecided districts in very SW CA. The blue only stretches east in extreme SE CA, CA25, and I'll bet that's because of the fingers of the bizarrely shaped district extending into more heavily populated western 'hoods.
https://news.yahoo.com/midterms

Back to Kari Lake:
Biggest self own in political history.
One of the greatest concession speeches of all time. Simple, succinct, self-reflective.
A rare moment of self-awareness here.
Kari Lake explains her loss.
Pretty sure that's why they voted against you.
This is Art.
Now, now. Don't be so hard on yourself.
:---P :---P :---P

Bazinga!

Joe Walsh is the former RW GOP Rep from IL8, Chicago suburbs.

More mocking tweets:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/liz-chen ... e88214f9ec
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:39 am

Aside: The red-blue House map of the Left Coast is stark, a perfect skinny blue line of coastal districts from Canada until reaching some undecided districts in very SW CA. The blue only stretches east in extreme SE CA,
Yes, and that area has a name. It's called "Where People Actually Live."

But it is puzzling - I can understand why some issues would be different for the largely agricultural areas of Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon than for the cities - and I think the majority should, in general, consider the needs of those in the wilds. Problem is for some reason the "country people" always seem to want to jump into cultural issues that they know have no chance and then whine that the "get no respect." But I can tell you that if you're out there carping about the Oregon Governor's race referring to Governor Lesbian Kotex, you're probably not going to get much out of the legislature.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:04 am
Vrede too wrote:

Kinzinger retired.

:lol: Yeah, I forgot Kinzinger retired. I was just looking for a quick example of a non-moon-barking Repug. They're not that easy to come by. I have ordered in additional popcorn for the expected fish slap showdown, though.
Just saw EmptyG saying that they "have to elect McCarthy as Speaker." Otherwise, she says, the Dems could find perhaps as few as one Repub in order to select a Speaker. I hate it when RepuQs steal my ideas. :wave:

So does EmptyG have a principled con agenda she wants to advance? Nooo, it's so they have "subpeona power" :roll: . If Nancy ever had a window to cut a deal it's apparently slammed shut. Oh well.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Who is emptyG?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:04 am
Vrede too wrote:

Kinzinger retired.

Just saw EmptyG saying that they "have to elect McCarthy as Speaker." Otherwise, she says, the Dems could find perhaps as few as one Repub in order to select a Speaker. I hate it when RepuQs steal my ideas. :wave:

So does EmptyG have a principled con agenda she wants to advance? Nooo, it's so they have "subpeona power" :roll: . If Nancy ever had a window to cut a deal it's apparently slammed shut. Oh well.
This could be fun, a party full of 220 Joe Manchions..... All wanting different things.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:37 pm
This could be fun, a party full of 220 Joe Manchins..... All wanting different things.
I was just returning to partially retract. It's not clear that EmptyG speaks for the Fascism Caucus. That's probably why she's bleating publicly about what would usually be backroom deals.

Edit:
McCarthy wins GOP nomination for speaker, with 31 Republicans voting against him

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy has won his party’s nomination for speaker, beating conservative challenger Rep. Andy Biggs in a 188 - 31 vote, according to multiple sources in the room.

It was a secret ballot, and McCarthy only needed a simple majority.

While Biggs’ challenge was always seen as a long shot, the number of Republicans voting for him shows how much work McCarthy has to do to win over holdouts between now and January, when he will need to win a majority of the entire House....
Interesting. Was this a symbolic whine or are they 31 hardliners?
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:36 pm
Who is emptyG?
MTG WTF?

Rick Scott tells colleagues he will challenge Mitch McConnell for leader

You must be sooo proud of your Medicare fraudster homey!

Imagine being a sane GOP Senator (I know, it'll take lots of imagination). In the wake of a historic midterm flop your choice for the Minority leader is the 80 year old Moscow Mitch or the Big Lie moron who had the GQP's chief role for winning the election, Chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee.
Yes you, imaginary sane GOP Senator, must select a FAILURE from behind Door #1 or Door #2. Good luck.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:04 pm
... I think everybody and everything I voted for - or would have voted for if they'd let me vote in WA and OR - won.
Oregon had a couple of interesting measures not yet settled, including guarantee of basic healthcare and some fairly stiff firearm restrictions.
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:16 pm
Congrats.

Saw that, I've been watching them. too.
AZ, of course, has a tight contest over Proposition 309: Increase Voter ID Requirements
Ballot Measures

Arizona: Proposition 309 - Enact stricter voter ID requirements
No 50.5%, 1,205,330, 21,620 ahead
Yes 49.5%, 1,183,710
:thumbup:
Est. vote in: 93%
Not called yet.
Oregon: Measure 111 - Establish a right to health care
Projected Winner Yes
This measure would amend the state constitution to ensure affordable health care access, balanced against a requirement to fund schools, other essential services. A “YES” vote supports the state ensuring affordable health care access. A “NO” vote opposes the state ensuring affordable health care access.
Yes 50.6%, 899,142, 22,467 ahead
No 49.4%, 876,675
Est. vote in: 93%
:clap:

Oregon: Measure 114 - Require permit to buy firearms, ban high-capacity magazines
Projected Winner Yes
Yes 50.8%, 926,950, 30,411 ahead
No 49.2%, 896,539
Est. vote in: 96%
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

All thanks to the population on the west side of the Cascades.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:19 pm
All thanks to the population on the west side of the Cascades.
:thumbup: , but c'mon, give a little credit for the success of OR 114 to the ammosexual wingnuttery on the east side of the Cascades.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Good analysis:
Election denialism proves to be a losing strategy for Republicans in midterm elections

This year’s midterm results were unequivocal. According to an ongoing analysis by States United Action, a nonpartisan election-integrity organization, “election denialism failed to gain new ground” in about 95% of the statewide races that have been called so far.
:---P
That doesn’t mean “Stop the Steal” adherents lost everywhere they were on the ballot. As the New York Times has documented, at least 220 candidates who “made statements that cast doubt on the 2020 election” won on Nov. 8, including about three dozen who were “more direct and denied the 2020 results outright.” Election denial — at least as a rhetorical strategy meant to appease Trump voters — remains alive and well on the right....

Yet it’s important to recognize that nearly all of those 220 winning candidates were running for safe GOP seats. There’s a difference between Republicans who were going to win no matter what they said about the 2020 election and Republicans whose doubts about 2020 might have materially affected their chances.

As it turns out, the second type of Republican did terribly last Tuesday.
:lol: The wingnuts are free to disrupt GQP elections.
Among this year’s 36 gubernatorial races, not a single non-incumbent election denier has won to date, according to States United. Even worse, Lake was the third election denier — along with Geoff Diehl in Massachusetts and Chris Chaffee in Maryland — to lose a Republican-held governorship to a Democrat....

Meanwhile, only two non-incumbent “Stop the Steal” candidates have been as elected attorney general this year (out of 31 races). They won in deep-red Idaho and Kansas.

In 27 races for secretary of state, only three new election deniers won office, in deep-red Alabama, Indiana and Wyoming.

Overall, election deniers — including incumbents — have “won fewer than 1 in 6 (14/94 or 14.89%) races for the statewide positions that oversee our elections,” States United reported Tuesday....

All those victories have come in states that voted twice for Trump. None have come in blue states or swing states.

“Clearly and unequivocally, Republican, Democratic and independent voters have spoken, and they have shown that they will not tolerate attacks on our democracy,” Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson told reporters on Monday.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Final (I think) ballot measure settled:
Arizona: Proposition 309 - Enact stricter voter ID requirements
Projected Winner No

This law would require voters to write their birthdate, government-issued identification number, and signature on a concealed early ballot affidavit; require photo identification to vote in-person; and require the Arizona Department of Transportation to provide without charge a non-operating identification license to individuals who request one for voting purposes. A "YES" vote approves requiring additional voter ID measures for early ballots and requiring voter ID for in-person voting. A “NO” vote rejects additional voter ID requirements for early and in-person voting.

No 50.4%, 1,216,153, 18,730 ahead
Yes 49.6%, 1,197,423
Est. vote in: 94%
Vote suppressors LOSE, as did so many cons in Arizona.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.