2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:18 pm
To: North Carolina State Board of Elections (NCSBE)
elections.sboe@ncsbe.gov
Subject: Complaint

Hi,

If this is the wrong office to submit this complaint to, please direct me to the correct one.

On Monday March 4, 2024 I received a robocall from Republican Commissioner of Labor candidate Jon Hardister - his actual voice. The caller ID read "Happy Tails Vet". I would have let the call go to voice mail otherwise. This is a veterinary hospital in Apex, NC.
https://www.happytailsveterinaryhospital.com/

1. Political robocalls ought to be illegal in NC.
2. If he spoofed the caller ID, that ought to be illegal in NC.
3. If the caller ID was legit, isn't it an illegal in-kind corporate donation?

Thank you for your attention and response.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
It didn't work:
https://wlos.com/news/election-results
N.C. Labor Commissioner (Rep)
77% OF PRECINCTS REPORTING

Luke Farley (R) 270,297 37%
Jon Hardister (R) 203,128 28%
Chuck Stanley (R) 162,541 22%
Travis Wilson (R) 100,115 14%
LOSER. I voted for Luke Farley bc he is a christofascist wingnut. I hope that doesn't backfire.
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:53:46 (UTC -04:00)

For potential campaign finance violations, complaints must be signed and sworn under oath or affirmation by a registered voter. If you would like to file a formal complaint, you may find a copy of the complaint form, as well as the State Board’s Campaign Finance Complaint Policy, here: https://www.ncsbe.gov/campaign-finance/ ... stigations.
Nah, I'm not going to bother with a notarized formal complaint. I'm not positive the law was broken and Jon Hardister lost, anyhow. Seems to me that any report should trigger at least a cursory investigation, but that gripe is minor in the face of widespread laxity in campaign law enforcement, nationally and in NC.

There is one more thing I can do, though :twisted: . I forwarded my initial complaint to info@jonhardister.com as if I don't already know the issue is moot. Maybe it'll make him sweat a bit, maybe not.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: They deserve each other.
Kennedy confirmed to the newspaper that Rodgers and former Minnesota governor and professional wrestler Jesse Ventura are under consideration.
I hope it's not The Body. I always liked him more than he merits.

The good news is that I don't see either of them drawing more Dems than they will RepuQs.
... The Jets franchise is no stranger to presidential politics. Owner Woody Johnson served as former President Donald Trump's ambassador to the United Kingdom from 2017 to 2021. He was recently seen with Trump at a rally following a Republican primary win in South Carolina.
Yeah, Fuck the MAGA Jets.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Last POTUS election rematch was Ike vs Adlai in 1956, 68 years ago! The incumbent won, as they usually do :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks to TRE45QN's stupidity we've been bickering about SS for a couple of pages beginning here:
https://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtop ... 73#p196773
Dolt .45 and his people have been backtracking as fast as they can.

We did not come across the Biden ad, though:
https://app.frame.io/presentations/d97a ... 30095b0979
:---P Thanks.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Headline: "Joe Biden Takes Stunning Lead Over Donald Trump in Two Polls"

Lead sentence: "President Joe Biden has gained a narrow lead over Donald Trump in two polls, eight months before November's presidential election."

Details
Spoiler:
couple of points - within margin of error

GoCubsGo
Admiral

FWIW....

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:22 am

Official removed from office under 14th Amendment speaks out as Trump case looms

... Former Otero County, New Mexico, Commissioner Couy Griffin was disqualified almost exactly a year ago after Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics (CREW) sued to eject him from his role under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment....
:crybaby: Insurrections have consequences. Note the utter inability to take personal responsibility for his predicament. Trumpettes are idiots and cowards.
Supreme Court Rejects Appeal By Former Official Banned For Jan. 6 Insurrection
He's the only elected official thus far to be banned from office in connection with the Capitol attack.

... Former Otero County commissioner Couy Griffin, a cowboy pastor who rode to national political fame by embracing then-President Donald Trump with a series of horseback caravans, is the only elected official thus far to be banned from office in connection with the Capitol attack, which disrupted Congress as it was trying to certify Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory over Trump.
Should be more. J6 at the Capitol was not the only act of insurrection.
At a 2022 trial in state district court, Griffin received the first disqualification from office in over a century under a provision of the 14th Amendment written to prevent former Confederates from serving in government after the Civil War.

Though the Supreme Court ruled this month that states don’t have the ability to bar Trump or other candidates for federal offices from the ballot, the justices said different rules apply to state and local candidates.

“We conclude that States may disqualify persons holding or attempting to hold state office,” the justices wrote in an unsigned opinion.

The outcome of Griffin’s case could bolster efforts to hold other state and local elected officials accountable for their involvement in the Jan. 6 attack....

The accusations of insurrection against Griffin were filed on behalf of three New Mexico residents by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a left-leaning group that also brought the lawsuit in Colorado to disqualify Trump.

CREW has outlined the case for investigating several current state legislators who went to Washington on Jan. 6.
Lock them out!
... At trial, Mathew, the judge, called Griffin’s free-speech arguments self-serving and not credible, noting that the then-commissioner spread lies about the 2020 election being stolen from Trump in a series of speeches at rallies during a cross-country journey starting in New Mexico, calling on crowds to go with him to Washington on Jan. 6 and join the “war” over the presidential election results.

Mathew said recordings by a videographer accompanying Griffin outside the U.S. Capitol showed that the county commissioner “incited the mob, even after seeing members of the mob a short distance away attack police officers and violently try to break into the Capitol building.”
A dishonest, unaccountable pastor? Shocker.
... While still a county commissioner, Griffin joined with Republican colleagues in refusing to certify results of the June 2022 primary election based on distrust of the voting systems used to tally the vote, even though the county’s election official said there were no problems. The board ultimately certified the election on a 2-1 vote with Griffin still voting no based on a “gut feeling.” ...
Moron MAGAt (redundant, I know).
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Today is primary day in Illinois and I have nothing to vote for.

Most dems are running unopposed or my preferred candidate is heavily favored.

No need to vote Republican as a poison pill.

How embarrassing.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:52 am

How embarrassing.
You're not alone.
https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-primar ... /14543892/

'Shockingly low' turnout for Illinois primary | LIVE COVERAGE

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:52 am

How embarrassing.
You're not alone.
https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-primar ... /14543892/

'Shockingly low' turnout for Illinois primary | LIVE COVERAGE
LOL
Biden outperformed trump 3-1.

Go us!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:10 pm
LOL
Biden outperformed trump 3-1.

Go us!
Are we still talking about elections? :o ;)

Trump-backed Cleveland businessman Bernie Moreno beats two rivals to win Ohio’s GOP Senate primary

For better or worse Chuck Schumer and Dems were supporting Moreno in order to give vulnerable incumbent Sherrod Brown the best chances in Nov. Fingers crossed that it doesn't backfire.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

NC school superintendent candidate says big pharma aims to make children sterile, Satan is to blame for liberals, and other batshit things:

https://myfox8.com/news/politics/nc/nc- ... -lunatics/
The Hill and CNN reported on several comments Morrow made in the past that appeared to call for violence against former President Barack Obama and other Democrats.

“I prefer a Pay Per View of him in front of the firing squad,” Morrow said of Obama in a May 13, 2020, post on X, formerly Twitter. “I do not want to waste another dime on supporting his life. We could make some money back from televising his death.”
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:37 pm
NC school superintendent candidate says big pharma aims to make children sterile, Satan is to blame for liberals, and other batshit things:

https://myfox8.com/news/politics/nc/nc- ... -lunatics/
The Hill and CNN reported on several comments Morrow made in the past that appeared to call for violence against former President Barack Obama and other Democrats.

“I prefer a Pay Per View of him in front of the firing squad,” Morrow said of Obama in a May 13, 2020, post on X, formerly Twitter. “I do not want to waste another dime on supporting his life. We could make some money back from televising his death."
:o :crazy:

Christofascist Michele Morrow was one of my "poison pill" votes in the RepuQ primary and the closest race I voted in:
https://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtop ... 28#p196628
So, blame me for the new Dem superintendent :wave: . . . or for the coming lost generation of NC kids.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

As expected, reminders of why he was voted out and it's only going to get worse. Just hope Joe doesn't step on his crank too often.

A rocky start to Trump's general election campaign

Donald Trump's first two weeks as his party's presumptive nominee have revealed old tendencies and new vulnerabilities.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:31 am
As expected, reminders of why he was voted out and it's only going to get worse. Just hope Joe doesn't step on his crank too often.

A rocky start to Trump's general election campaign

Donald Trump's first two weeks as his party's presumptive nominee have revealed old tendencies and new vulnerabilities.
NC is listed as a Battleground State! <sniff> I'm so proud I could cry.

The other Battleground States are: Arizona | Nevada | Wisconsin | Michigan | Pennsylvania | Georgia. That's it, the rest of y'all don't matter.

RCP Average 2/8 - 3/14: Trump 49.6, Biden 44.6, Trump+5.0, but the MoE is as high as 5.0 .

The trend graph shows Joltin' Joe steadily climbing while ex-PINO is flat.

Fingers crossed. GoNCGo
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 pm
Prop 1 passes by narrow margin, Gov. Gavin Newsom calls it ‘a huge victory’ for California

Proposition 1, the ballot measure supported by Gov. Gavin Newsom that he says will be a “radically different” approach to tackling California’s homelessness crisis, passed on Wednesday evening, according to the Associated Press.

The measure passed by a narrow margin, with 50.2% of Californians voting in support, and 49.8% voting against....

But support for the measure came from powerful state players and unions, including SEIU California and the California Hospital Association. The Yes on 1 campaign raised more than $14 million, while the opposing campaign raised just $1,000....
Why a ballot measure rather than action by the Leg?
How did you vote and why?
Why do you think it was so close in blue California and despite the opposition having so little money? Why did the opposition have so little money?

One general observation - It sounds complex. If voters don't understand a measure they vote No.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Here's some Prop 1 info: https://www.capradio.org/articles/2024/ ... t-in-need/

We voted for.
It was close because it wasn't really partisan in the usual sense and even though Gavin has spent a bunch on homeless programs, the visuals on the streets haven't gone down much if any. So there was some perception of "throwing good money after bad" or "down a dark hole" even among people who are Dems and usually Gavin supporters

And yeah, it is complicated and that helps a "no" vote, as you say.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:47 pm
Here's some Prop 1 info: https://www.capradio.org/articles/2024/ ... t-in-need/

We voted for.
It was close because it wasn't really partisan in the usual sense and even though Gavin has spent a bunch on homeless programs, the visuals on the streets haven't gone down much if any. So there was some perception of "throwing good money after bad" or "down a dark hole" even among people who are Dems and usually Gavin supporters

And yeah, it is complicated and that helps a "no" vote, as you say.
Thanks. Congrats, phew. Good luck.
1312. ETTD.