The Science Thread!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Science Thread!

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:03 am
... LIAR, MORON, COWARD, DELUSIONAL, CRYBABY, "SPECIAL" CHILD.

Guaranteed: This will be yet another proven lie that you will never have the balls to admit.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4072&p=118378#p118378
Guarantee proven, you poor pathetic worm.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Guaranteed: This will be yet another proven lie that you will never have the balls to admit.

Yep, you are definitely Busted again
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The COMPLETE quote that you deceptively edited and that I had described accurately proves:
Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Vrede too wrote:

LIAR, MORON, COWARD, DELUSIONAL, CRYBABY, "SPECIAL" CHILD.

Po' widdle sackless billy.pilgrim, awww.
1312. ETTD.

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

Unread post by Greg55_99 »

Ah..... memories.....
:wave:

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

It only took a zeptoseconx

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://cosmosmagazine.com/science/phys ... toseconds/

"a billionth of a trillionth of a second (10-21)"

I had never heard of zeptoseconds, now I've written the word twice and still can't imagine how exacting science can be. Science (unlike meteorologists, the fox idiot who claims bacteria don't exist because he can't see them and the rest of the fox news idiots) can make me feel ignorant.

That hand is gonna spin right of a watch.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A spectacular image reveals the electrical tentacles of red jellyfish sprite lightning in the skies above Texas

"probably around 30 miles long and 30 miles tall"

Different one seen from the ISS:

Awesome.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:01 am
A spectacular image reveals the electrical tentacles of red jellyfish sprite lightning in the skies above Texas

"probably around 30 miles long and 30 miles tall"

Different one seen from the ISS:

Awesome.
Seriously cool.

Stolen from Star Trek? :)
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:29 am
Seriously cool.

More likely the other way around.

No one believed Gene Roddenberry when he said that he'd seen jellyfish sprite lightning. ;)
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:41 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:29 am
Seriously cool.

More likely the other way around.

No one believed Gene Roddenberry when he said that he'd seen jellyfish sprite lightning. ;)
Really?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Really?
No . . . probably. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:49 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Really?
No . . . probably. :wave:
Ha! 😋 Thought so!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

viewtopic.php?p=108925#p108925
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am
Donald Trump Jr. Tried To Make MLK Day All About His Dad And It Didn't Go Over Well

... “Would it kill Trump Jr to tweet something respectful about MLK without mentioning his father,” asked one.

Added another: “Irony is dead.”
:thumbup:
:wave:
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 am
And just think of it; next month we'll have Lincoln's birthday, which will give him and Junior a great opportunity to self gloat, and, as if that weren't enough, next month is also President's Day, which will no doubt result in an orgy of self congratulatory exaggerated bullshit. For me, I will think of the trump clan on Groundhog day next month and wish the entire goddamn family would move to an abandoned missile silo in North Dakota.
Now Trump Claims Joe Biden Does Not Believe In Science
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Endangered US ferret cloned from 33-year-old DNA

US scientists have successfully cloned a highly-endangered black-footed ferret using DNA from an identical animal that has been frozen since 1988.

The birth of the ferret, named Elizabeth Ann, was announced by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The cloning is a first for a US endangered species.

Once thought to be extinct, all black-footed ferrets are descended from seven ancestors that were found in 1981.

Scientists say the clone will help increase the population's gene pool.

Elizabeth Ann's birth on 10 December was announced as a "bold step forward" by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) on Thursday.

She was cloned from the DNA of an animal named Willa.

Willa was not one of the original seven ancestors. Before those ferrets were found in 1981 on a ranch in the state of Wyoming, it was believed that the species had gone extinct forever.

Willa, who has no living descendants, was captured in the wild and researchers hope that her clone will increase genetic diversity and help the severely-threatened species recover....

US scientists have successfully cloned a highly-endangered black-footed ferret using DNA from an identical animal that has been frozen since 1988.

The birth of the ferret, named Elizabeth Ann, was announced by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The cloning is a first for a US endangered species.

Once thought to be extinct, all black-footed ferrets are descended from seven ancestors that were found in 1981.

Scientists say the clone will help increase the population's gene pool.

Elizabeth Ann's birth on 10 December was announced as a "bold step forward" by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) on Thursday.

She was cloned from the DNA of an animal named Willa.

Willa was not one of the original seven ancestors. Before those ferrets were found in 1981 on a ranch in the state of Wyoming, it was believed that the species had gone extinct forever.

Willa, who has no living descendants, was captured in the wild and researchers hope that her clone will increase genetic diversity and help the severely-threatened species recover.
:clap: :-||
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Just sharing, I thought this was a interesting video on updates to our ozone layer and climate change could potentially be affecting it.

I had no idea we had new holes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pm
Just sharing, I thought this was a interesting video on updates to our ozone layer and climate change could potentially be affecting it.

Ugh. Thanks . . . I think. That reminds me of:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/forum/vi ... 366#p78366
rstrong wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 pm
Well, sure. I'd probably spend more time cataloging the ways Earth could be destroyed then solving those problems.

An interesting related article just recently:
In Homo sapiens 200,000-year history, we know about several close shaves with extinction. One came 70,000 years back when the numbers of fertile Homo sapiens dropped to just 10,000. The cause may have been linked to the Toba supervolcanic eruption around this time (74,000 years) — the biggest eruption in 2.5 million years — which would have led to a volcanic winter enveloping the planet, possibly for centuries. Indeed, eruptions continued 15-20,000 years after the first blast according to recent research. However, the supereruption theory for H. sapiens population crash is disputed.

The second close shave is a little more recent and linked to our love of cold beer. In 1928, scientists created "safe" new chemicals for refrigerators and air conditioners — CFCs. But the first C in CFCs is an angry little element, chlorine. Apparently unbeknownst to the scientists and their corporate overlords, these chemicals had a vociferous appetite for ozone in the upper atmosphere. The ozone layer has protected life on Earth for billions of years. Without it, the sun's radiation would sterilise the surface. Even weakening this shield would lead to crop damage making our survival questionable even if we shovelled on the sun cream. When the ozone hole was discovered in the 1980s nations agreed to outlaw CFCs and disaster was averted.

If we had not noticed the growing hole, or decided to sit on the problem, humans would have run into a catastrophe more serious than warm beer by the end of this century. Worse, if chlorine had been swapped out for its angrier, less stable sister, bromine — an entirely logical choice that would have kept beer just as cool — then H sapiens demise may have been sooner than expected. Bromine's ozone killing properties make it almost one hundred times more dangerous than chlorine. By the 1970s there could have been a catastrophic ozone hole everywhere all year round according to Paul Crutzen who was awarded the Nobel Prize for his work on ozone.
So we were lucky we didn't go with bromine. And even then we were lucky we noticed AND acted, lucky the British and US Antarctic research stations existed and that the US Congress didn't turn anti-science a few decades earlier.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 pm
I know that CFCs are very bad, never thought of them as possibly extinction level bad. Thanks . . . I think....
k9nanny wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 am
Holy shit, y'all, and a good Sunday morning to you. :shock:
Perhaps it's a blessing that the world ends tomorrow.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

bannination wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pm

Bummer.

No sooner do we get rid of the big hole in the White House, and suddenly the ozone layer sprouts new ones.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

How very well thought out and articulate.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:32 pm
She's a nasty piece of work.

Human-animal hybrid research raises hopes and concerns

I am all for scientific progress, but this makes me very uncomfortable.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:32 pm
She's a nasty piece of work.

Human-animal hybrid research raises hopes and concerns

I am all for scientific progress, but this makes me very uncomfortable.
All that is quite disconcerting. But never mind that; Ted Cruz has been a fucking human-animal hybrid, mostly animal, for more than a decade. He's only recently taken up that more natural werewolf affect, but he's starting to manifest. In another two years, he'll be so hairy and incoherent he'll have to resign. Even Josh Hawley will disavow him once the drooling and growling gets too obvious. Just wait.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:32 pm
All that is quite disconcerting. But never mind that; Ted Cruz has been a fucking human-animal hybrid, mostly animal, for more than a decade. He's only recently taken up that more natural werewolf affect, but he's starting to manifest. In another two years, he'll be so hairy and incoherent he'll have to resign. Even Josh Hawley will disavow him once the drooling and growling gets too obvious. Just wait.
:lol:

Speaking of Canadian animals:
890-million-years-old? Geologist may have discovered oldest animal fossils ever in Canada

A geologist in Canada may have discovered fossils of ancient sponges dating back 890 million years, making the potential discovery 350 million years older than the oldest undisputed sponge fossils.

The fossilized structures found in rock samples potentially show sponges that existed in underwater reefs millions of years ago. The findings may represent the oldest animal fossils ever discovered, Laurentian University professor Elizabeth Turner described in an article published Wednesday in the journal “Nature.”

Scientists have previously estimated that sponges existed before more complicated creatures over 540 million years ago. However, there’s a lack of fossilized sponges discovered by scientists that would prove the timeline for the early creatures....
An old fossil Canadian sponge? Scientists are having to scramble to quash the rumors that it's a long lost brother of former Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford.

1312. ETTD.