The Science Thread!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Science Thread!

Unread post by O Really »

mike wrote:Hi, Billy! Sounds like fun! :)

We were on the Oclawaha River ... you were quite close to my neck of the woods.

You did present an example of one of the many items we pondered while alternately paddling and floating: the Withlacoochee is yet another Florida river which flows North. :D
I've 'yaked most of the rivers in central to north Florida, and probably at or close to the top of the list of favorites is the Rainbow. Also the Santa Fe out of Blue Springs, especially in winter when the manatees are around, and the Suwanee out of Manatee Springs.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

mike wrote:Hi, Billy! Sounds like fun! You did present an example of one of the many items we pondered while alternately paddling and floating..
A turd floating in the water? ImageImage
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:
mike wrote:...We were on the Oclawaha River ... you were quite close to my neck of the woods.

You did present an example of one of the many items we pondered while alternately paddling and floating: the Withlacoochee is yet another Florida river which flows North. :D
Is that why liberals kayak on them?
Hmmm, I hadn't pondered that thought ... until now ... Image

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

O Really wrote:I've 'yaked most of the rivers in central to north Florida, and probably at or close to the top of the list of favorites is the Rainbow. Also the Santa Fe out of Blue Springs, especially in winter when the manatees are around, and the Suwanee out of Manatee Springs.
I've heard many good things about the Rainbow River but it's a bit more of a drive from my house to there than it is to the Ocklawaha.

I have been on the Rainbow River, though in a rented pontoon and not on a kayak, and the Manatees were, indeed, quite numerous and great to see. :)

I haven't been on the Santa Fe but it, too, I've heard much about.

Glad to see yet another has been in my neck of the woods. :D

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:
homophile (nttawwt) wrote:...turd...
Whaddya expect ... he has too many memories of Santorum ...

O Really
Admiral

mike wrote:
Resident for about 25 years. Miami, Tampa, and Ponte Vedra Beach. The Rainbow is worth the drive. It's deeper than most rivers, but crystal clear. Deep sinkholes with large fish swimming around in them. We also enjoy going up to the Okefenokee out of Stephen Foster Park. One of the best paddles ever was on a misty wet rainy day when nobody was out but us and some gators longer than our 'yaks.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

mike wrote:Hi, Billy! Sounds like fun! :)

We were on the Oclawaha River ... you were quite close to my neck of the woods.

Q: Why does the St. Johns flow north?

A: Because Georgia sucks.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

O Really wrote:
mike wrote:
Resident for about 25 years. Miami, Tampa, and Ponte Vedra Beach. The Rainbow is worth the drive. It's deeper than most rivers, but crystal clear. Deep sinkholes with large fish swimming around in them. We also enjoy going up to the Okefenokee out of Stephen Foster Park. One of the best paddles ever was on a misty wet rainy day when nobody was out but us and some gators longer than our 'yaks.
None of them are crystal clear anymore. Too much nitrate in the water.

The Itchetucknee was the gem of the state. A four-hour tube through some of the most beautiful land in Florida.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Wneglia wrote:Eat Shit and Live
:mrgreen:
I don't know which article you linked, but I've read several about that lately.

Have you run across articles about worm treatments for autoimmune diseases like MS and others?

O Really
Admiral

Stinger wrote:
O Really wrote:
mike wrote:

The Itchetucknee was the gem of the state. A four-hour tube through some of the most beautiful land in Florida.
Yeah, I've taken that tube ride. But the Rainbow was still clear as recently as five or so years ago. Sorry to hear it's not. Damn, I was looking forward to taking it again this spring.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

O Really wrote:
Stinger wrote:
O Really wrote:
mike wrote:

Yeah, I've taken that tube ride. But the Rainbow was still clear as recently as five or so years ago. Sorry to hear it's not. Damn, I was looking forward to taking it again this spring.
It may be clear enough to enjoy. Manatee Springs is nothing like it used to be. Kings Bay in Crystal River is cloudy as hell. They're taking over Silver Springs as a state park, and everyone's making a big deal about water quality.

On top of the nitrates, some Canadian billionaire bought 60,000 acres of land, 30,000 of it in the Silver Springs basin and has applied for water permits for hundreds of wells to pump excessive water to grow green grass for his planned extensive herds of black angus. When they met with the water district staff original, they asked about pumping 27 million gallons per day. They finally applied for a permit to pump 13.267 million gallons per day.

There was an uproar. Now, they're down to asking for 5.3 million gallons per day. And stalling and playing games.

Too ****ing many people. Too ****ing many cows. Too ****ing much nitrate in the water.

Don't bow out of a Rainbow trip on my say so.

O Really
Admiral

It sounds like same ol' same ol' in my old home state, Stinger. And that's not a good thing. I was always convinced that they'd never be satisfied until every square foot of Florida was concrete and there were no gaps between strip malls. But no, the Rainbow would be a fun paddle even if it were the color of the Suwanee, but I did enjoy the deep holes. Problem with Florida is that while it's been able to withstand a lot of abuse over the years through over-development, land-raping, and swamp-filling, it keeps challenging its existence by keeping people like Scott in office.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

O Really wrote:It sounds like same ol' same ol' in my old home state, Stinger. And that's not a good thing. I was always convinced that they'd never be satisfied until every square foot of Florida was concrete and there were no gaps between strip malls. But no, the Rainbow would be a fun paddle even if it were the color of the Suwanee, but I did enjoy the deep holes. Problem with Florida is that while it's been able to withstand a lot of abuse over the years through over-development, land-raping, and swamp-filling, it keeps challenging its existence by keeping people like Scott in office.
Well said. We have this going on now right on the Ocklawaha and Silver Springs
Main Spring, Blue Grotto, and The Abyss are collectively known as The Silver Springs Group and form the headwater of the Silver River. Below the head spring area, numerous smaller springs add additional discharge within the first half-mile of the Silver River. This scenic river is the single largest tributary of the Ocklawaha River.
... it's no wonder the current owner wants to give up 4 million to give it back to whoever wants it.

Speaking of nitrate run-off, this doesn't help ...
St. Johns' latest request focuses on specifics of potential water withdrawal and how the farm would dispose of animal waste from about 17,000 cows.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Off the current topic, but major mystery solved: Why our fingers wrinkle when wet.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Stinger wrote:
Wneglia wrote:Eat Shit and Live
I don't know which article you linked, but I've read several about that lately.

Have you run across articles about worm treatments for autoimmune diseases like MS and others?
Sorry about the news item link not working. Here is an abstract of the original paper in the New England Journal of Medicine

I have seen articles about Helminthic therapy but I'm not sure I would do it for Hayfever. :lol:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Wneglia wrote: I have seen articles about Helminthic therapy but I'm not sure I would do it for Hayfever. :lol:

The hay fever I've seen some people suffering with might make me consider it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298637

And actual studies are underway as we speak.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

The most dangerous place on earth? Fascinating answers.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »