Media Thread (non Faux)

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Media Thread (non Faux)

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:40 pm
Politico is framed as leaning left, yet I'm repeatedly seeing rightwing bs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/2 ... s-00103494

Headline says it has an explanation why red state has more abortions than blue state.

"Florida provided far more abortions than California and New York post-Dobbs. Here’s why."

Read on - red state has even redder neighbor states. All seems fair if you are used to falling for fox the read fast and don't question type bullshit necessary to blame tiny Alabama and much smaller Georgia for Florida’s increase.

Florida 12,500 abortions over the 2 month period
California 4300 over same period

California 39+ million

Florida 21+ million
Georgia 11- million
Alabama 5 million

So if every single person in Alabama and Georgia who had an abortion did so in Florida, there were only 1/3 of the abortions in California that there were in red state Florida.
I'm unclear on what your gripe is.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:45 pm
Probably has a little to do with the education level of the populaces too.
There's also Southern "abstinence only" sex education and other lack of support for birth control. Could eventually get even worse:

Clarence Thomas Uses Immigration Case to Attack the Right to Birth Control

:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:15 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:40 pm
Politico is framed as leaning left, yet I'm repeatedly seeing rightwing bs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/2 ... s-00103494

Headline says it has an explanation why red state has more abortions than blue state.

"Florida provided far more abortions than California and New York post-Dobbs. Here’s why."

Read on - red state has even redder neighbor states. All seems fair if you are used to falling for fox the read fast and don't question type bullshit necessary to blame tiny Alabama and much smaller Georgia for Florida’s increase.

Florida 12,500 abortions over the 2 month period
California 4300 over same period

California 39+ million

Florida 21+ million
Georgia 11- million
Alabama 5 million

So if every single person in Alabama and Georgia who had an abortion did so in Florida, there were only 1/3 of the abortions in California that there were in red state Florida.
I'm unclear on what your gripe is.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:45 pm
Probably has a little to do with the education level of the populaces too.
There's also Southern "abstinence only" sex education and other lack of support for birth control. Could eventually get even worse:

Clarence Thomas Uses Immigration Case to Attack the Right to Birth Control

:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
Politico appears to be tooting DeSantis horn for him by explaining away the abortion increase in Florida with bullshit numbers.

29 million florida red state had 3 times the abortions as 39 million blue state California and the Politico headline says, Nothing to See Here.

What don't you get, or am I missing something?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:45 pm
Politico appears to be tooting DeSantis horn for him by explaining away the abortion increase in Florida with bullshit numbers.

29 million florida red state had 3 times the abortions as 39 million blue state California and the Politico headline says, Nothing to See Here.

Why are the numbers "bullshit" and how do they support Fascist DerSantis? The South always had high pregnancy rates and high abortion rates pre-Dobbs. Now, it makes sense to me that part of the Florida increase is due to out-of-staters. Even so, the article says:
... It is also unclear how much of the increase was due to out-of-state patients....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:10 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:45 pm

Why are the numbers "bullshit" and how do they support Fascist DerSantis? The South always had high pregnancy rates and high abortion rates pre-Dobbs. Now, it makes sense to me that part of the Florida increase is due to out-of-staters. Even so, the article says:
... It is also unclear how much of the increase was due to out-of-state patients....
I know. You can also find that evangelicals have more abortions than educated people.

Read the headline again. What is politico's message?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I know. You can also find that evangelicals have more abortions than educated people.

I still don't get it.

Florida provided far more abortions than California and New York post-Dobbs. Here’s why.
It’ll be years before many blue-state efforts to expand abortion access have an impact.

Assuming the numbers are accurate, what's wrong with discussing the possible reasons for them?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:25 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I still don't get it.

Florida provided far more abortions than California and New York post-Dobbs. Here’s why.
It’ll be years before many blue-state efforts to expand abortion access have an impact.

Assuming the numbers are accurate, what's wrong with discussing the possible reasons for them?
And they offer Alabama and Georgia as the Why, but leave out population numbers.
When population numbers are included their "Why" turns to bullshit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:54 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:25 pm
I still don't get it.

And they offer Alabama and Georgia as the Why, but leave out population numbers.
When population numbers are included their "Why" turns to bullshit.
:headscratch:
The article includes the caveat I posted.
It might be more than just Alabama and Georgia.
Absolute population numbers can be misleading. One would need to know pregnancy rates and factors that influence the choice to have an abortion like marital and economic status, available support for new mothers, etc.
Even if out-of-staters are not the entire reason, I can't see where the pro-Fascist DerSantis conspiracy is.

Why do you think the Florida numbers have increased and how does that hurt Fascist DerSantis?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

This article is about sports TV, but it's so applicable to almost every type of news media.
https://deadspin.com/bomani-jones-game- ... 1850606271
For some odd reason, viewers — and the powers that be — are still entertained by and have stuck to the idea that being loud and wrong, while yelling at the person sitting across from you is what makes “good TV” in sports. Context, nuance, facts, and intelligence are out, garbage hot takes without any middle ground are in — and have been for way too long.
Embrace debate has made people so dumb that smart isn’t valued anymore —

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:45 pm
This article is about sports TV, but it's so applicable to almost every type of news media.
https://deadspin.com/bomani-jones-game- ... 1850606271

:(

Newsmax Ends Trump Interview With Super Awkward Disclaimer
The network is currently facing a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit.

Ouch.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Newsmax should end all their stories with "most of the preceding was bullshit, conjecture, rumor, or lie. We urge you to form your own opinions." Besides, I don't think they have or can come up with 785 million dollars. Better to play it safe.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

"Pussyman" reports. 🤣

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:45 am
"Pussyman" reports. 🤣

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 0763700536
:violin: :lol: The right-wing Bannon-minion provocateur “journalist” really needs to up his counter-heckler game. Sheesh, either you engage or you cut the feed. A :crybaby: broadcast was the worst possible choice. Didn't Bannon look like he was enjoying himself?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Where do fired anchors go to die?

:lol:

They do podcasts and interview each other.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bil ... 53787.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:53 pm

:lol: :---P Who?

This could have gone in the 2020 Elections or Sedition threads, but it's also a tale about why we need a free, engaged and skeptical press with adequate resources:

It took years for truth about election 'audit' to emerge. Why The Arizona Republic kept fighting

KUDOS! :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| I hope this investigation has the impact that it should have.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

This could have gone in the 2020 Elections or Sedition threads, but it's also a tale about why we need a free, engaged and skeptical press with adequate resources:

It took years for truth about election 'audit' to emerge. Why The Arizona Republic kept fighting

KUDOS! :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| I hope this investigation has the impact that it should have.
and since when has anything happened because it “should have”?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

Probably not, certainly amongst the trumpaloons. I'm not sure anyone else will pay a lot of attention.

IIRC, the audit firm was a fly by night operating out of a strip mall in Sarasota and the audit was a complete clusterfuck (memories of warehouses, lost leases, moving the ballots around etc. are coming back to me). That's probably all anyone really needed to know that it was shady.

The fact that the sickophants can't count shouldn't surprise anyone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:52 am
and since when has anything happened because it “should have”?
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:39 am
Probably not, certainly amongst the trumpaloons. I'm not sure anyone else will pay a lot of attention.

IIRC, the audit firm was a fly by night operating out of a strip mall in Sarasota and the audit was a complete clusterfuck (memories of warehouses, lost leases, moving the ballots around etc. are coming back to me). That's probably all anyone really needed to know that it was shady.

The fact that the sickophants can't count shouldn't surprise anyone.
The MAGAts have been expelled from the Admin by the new Dem Gov, but maaaybe a few pols will choose to retire or be voted out. Kari Lake's Senate bid could be harmed by it, too. Then, there's this:
The Republic’s lawsuit is among the biggest public records cases fought in the state, with the news organization now seeking $690,000 from the state Senate and Cyber Ninjas to cover its legal fees.
Bleed them dry. Beyond that, perhaps there will be increased skepticism and irritation among the public if something similar is attempted in the future. This :bs: has cost Arizonans a lot more than the Republic is seeking. They'll now have this well-documented historical reference to point to.

Fingers crossed.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:20 pm

Fingers crossed.
But don't hold your breath.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

International blowjob about to commence.

How do we leave him there?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:59 pm
International blowjob about to commence.

How do we leave him there?

Tucker got steamrolled.