Where's Merrick?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Where's Merrick?

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I've said that he was a bad pick from day one. What a republican. Other than another cultist willing to block any attempt to bring trump to justice, what else could he be?
I wanted then, and still want someone like Doug Jones.

Has anyone seen my red stapler?

We ignored the many war crimes committed by cheney, bush and friends because ... of some idiotic bullshit play nice and they will too Lucy is gonna hold the football for Charlie Brown bull.

And we received in return 8 years of hate, lies and conspiracy theories

So here we are again ignoring the trump administration crimes. There's so much that was reported on for one news cycle that just disappeared as one story after another was replaced by even bigger crimes and outlandish behaviors.

Hillary's emails went on and on. How dare anyone keep unclassified anything anywhere?

trump walks out with boxes of highly classified documents and Merrick suggests that he might give it a look - and there it ends again.

He's no different than Muller, just another republican covering for republican crimes.

Just wait, the payback will be hell.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Where's Merrick?

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This song ain't over yet. The way I see it, there's no hurry to prosecute trump and his disciples other than any statue of limitations issues. I figure they're waiting until after the elections this fall; at that point they still have two years to finish this thing. Besides, the sooner trump is charged, the sooner he can start making more money from his gullible fools that send him money. And if the GQP takes control of congress in November, I expect that will speed things up a lot. Bottom line: the quicker trump is charged, the more money he stands to suck in and the more whining he can whine to his cult, so any control over that that I might have as Attorney General I would use.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I don't see how he can be given any grade but incomplete.

He's only been on the job a little over a year and investigations take time and we don't even know (nor should we) what he's investigating.

Hillary was investigated by the house seven times. She was never charged with anything by the trump Justice Department.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:40 am
I don't see how he can be given any grade but incomplete.

He's only been on the job a little over a year and investigations take time and we don't even know (nor should we) what he's investigating.

Hillary was investigated by the house seven times. She was never charged with anything by the trump Justice Department.
Because she didn't do anything. There's a difference.

Muller didn't even try to interview trump. Merrick won't dp anything - that was settled before his nomination.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:07 am
This song ain't over yet. The way I see it, there's no hurry to prosecute trump and his disciples other than any statue of limitations issues. I figure they're waiting until after the elections this fall; at that point they still have two years to finish this thing. Besides, the sooner trump is charged, the sooner he can start making more money from his gullible fools that send him money. And if the GQP takes control of congress in November, I expect that will speed things up a lot. Bottom line: the quicker trump is charged, the more money he stands to suck in and the more whining he can whine to his cult, so any control over that that I might have as Attorney General I would use.
I'm leaning towards agreeing with billy.pilgrim. If the GQP takes control of Congress in January it will shut down the Jan 6 committee and will have greatly expanded ability to stymie Garland, including refusing to fund anything they don't like.

Imo Dolt 45 whining and fundraising is already yuuuge and unrelated to reality in any way. I don't think charges will change that.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
I'm leaning towards agreeing with billy.pilgrim. If the GQP takes control of Congress in January it will shut down the Jan 6 committee and will have greatly expanded ability to stymie Garland, including refusing to fund anything they don't like.

Imo Dolt 45 whining and fundraising is already yuuuge and unrelated to reality in any way. I don't think charges will change that.
The committee is irrelevant. The Attorney General will still be there after the November elections. And as far as I know, Congress can't prevent the Justice Department from indicting someone, just as they themselves cannot indict someone.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:19 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
The committee is irrelevant. The Attorney General will still be there after the November elections. And as far as I know, Congress can't prevent the Justice Department from indicting someone, just as they themselves cannot indict someone.
What's that old saying, attributed to Truman?

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:48 pm
What's that old saying, attributed to Truman?

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"...
Useless' useless comment is meant to make neoplacebo look stupid by childishly and deceptively removing the post neoplacebo is replying to. Pitiful.
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:48 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.

:lol: Useless is so incompetent that he even screws up his signature whining:
3-01-22: 11 Vrede replies blocked
3-02-22: 5 Vrede replies blocked
3-01-22: 2 Vrede replies blocked
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Merrick has been bought or intimidated - just like Muller.
Muller proved to be a coward. Merrick appears to be taking the same path.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:19 pm
Maybe he wasn't such a decent Supreme Court nominee after all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I favor prosecution, and don't think it's certain that serious civil conflict will result. Many Repugs are already looking for a way to move beyond 45SHOLE, and evidence presented well may serve to diminish some of his support.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:38 pm
If I recall correctly it was not that he was the best, just the best that the Repugs MIGHT endorse. Anyhow, I'm not sure how much correlation there is between a good Justice and a good AG - somewhat different skill sets. Joe could have chosen more of a firebrand, not sure why he didn't.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:19 pm
Read the article.

Garland is put in a tough position. How many other times has Congress recommended that a former president be charged with felonies? I submit, never. As the article states, if he does so charge Trump, there will be hell to pay, on both sides. I don't envy his dilemma in this. And this is despite being 100% in favor of throwing the book at The Donald.

Ultimately the decision probably rests with Joe Biden.

O Really
Admiral

Understood that nobody wants to take a shot at Trump and miss - there probably won't be but one failed opportunity, but if the first charge is successful, more will follow. But jeez, how much is needed to charge him with something that would stick. The guy is a walking encyclopedia of criminal behaviour.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:47 pm
Understood that nobody wants to take a shot at Trump and miss - there probably won't be but one failed opportunity, but if the first charge is successful, more will follow. But jeez, how much is needed to charge him with something that would stick. The guy is a walking encyclopedia of criminal behaviour.
I think a big part of the problem is finding an impartial jury and that the standard of reasonable doubt would have to be exceeded.

O Really
Admiral

"reasonable doubt" :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the best laugh of the day.
But yeah, you're probably right.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The standard of reasonable reality was suspended years ago. Reasonable doubt was thrown out the window at least fifty miles before that.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:45 pm
O Really wrote:
If I recall correctly it was not that he was the best, just the best that the Repugs MIGHT endorse. Anyhow, I'm not sure how much correlation there is between a good Justice and a good AG - somewhat different skill sets. Joe could have chosen more of a firebrand, not sure why he didn't.
Because the plan all along was to play nice and leave the trumps alone. This was decided before Merrick was nominated.
The only difference between this cowardice and 2008 was Nancy announcing that we would forget about cheney's war crimes and play nice.
One tiny step for democracy, one giant leap for authoritarianism.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:34 pm
Because the plan all along was to play nice and leave the trumps alone. This was decided before Merrick was nominated.

The only difference between this cowardice and 2008 was Nancy announcing that we would forget about cheney's war crimes and play nice.

One tiny step for democracy, one giant leap for authoritarianism.
From the Wikipedia link on Garland:

"Garland is considered a judicial moderate and a centrist.[48] Garland has been described by Nina Totenberg and Carrie Johnson of NPR as "a moderate liberal, with a definite pro-prosecution bent in criminal cases".[4] Tom Goldstein, the publisher of SCOTUSblog, wrote in 2010 that "Judge Garland's record demonstrates that he is essentially the model, neutral judge. He is acknowledged by all to be brilliant. His opinions avoid unnecessary, sweeping pronouncements."[23] Garland has a reputation for collegiality and his opinions rarely draw a dissent.[49] As of 2016, Garland had written just fifteen dissents in his two decades on the court, fewer than his colleague Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who wrote some 17 dissents over the previous decade.[49]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland