Where's Merrick?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Where's Merrick?

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I guess I don’t understand.
I do understand that Barr could use the claim that the doj doesn’t prosecute sitting presidents, although the republicans sure did want to prosecute Clinton for lying under oath - after he was boxed into a corner over a personal matter.
But I’m not hearing anything here or in the media about merrick running cover for trump.
On day one he could have done something about the Stormy payoff,
Or the theft of monies collected for the Inauguration,
Or a slew of other prosecutable crimes.
merrick waited and waited on all for the statute of limitations to give trump cover.

Some like the misuse of presidential records were unknown then, but it wasn’t long before the media began reporting it and a little longer before the Presidential Archives people requested the doj to investigate.
After doing nothing for over a year there was finally enough pressure for merrick to investigate, but it appears to be too late and still merrick has a job.

We hoot and holler about trump, yet no one says anything about merrick, other than praise for him going after the idiots who attacked the Capitol. Any AG could have done all of the above- instead merrick picked a shiny ball to distract and the media fell head over heels for it -
Leaving us with trump running for president against an old man his own doj has just labeled as forgetful and still merrick keeps his job and no one admits he’s MAGA.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I agree with you. Mostly. But everybody, including Biden and Merrick, knows that the cases are very complex, mostly ploughing new ground, and in prosecution of a very vocal, somehow still popular with inflammatory people ex-president. All true, but I think it's more fear than MAGA-ness. Biden picked the wrong guy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:22 pm
I guess I don’t understand.
I do understand that Barr could use the claim that the doj doesn’t prosecute sitting presidents, although the republicans sure did want to prosecute Clinton for lying under oath - after he was boxed into a corner over a personal matter....
They impeached him, which is the remedy Barr advocates for a miscreant sitting POTUS. Shrub's DoJ never filed charges against Bill and I don't remember Repugs bitching about that.

Even now, TRE45QN is not being prosecuted for his presidential action criminality.
The campaign finance crimes were before he was POTUS. Not federal prosecution, anyhow. It is a shame that there wasn't federal prosecution before the statute of limitations expired.
The case is being made that he had no constitutional authority to involve himself in the 2020 election nor to engage in insurrection, hence criminal charges are warranted.
The theft of the docs came after he was POTUS.

Otherwise, I agree with your Where's Merrick? post. It would have been nice to have some of this resolved or at least moved further along by now.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

IIRC, Clinton surrendered his law license to avoid prosecution.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:23 pm
Wasn't that to avoid disbarment? -0-?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:40 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:23 pm
Wasn't that to avoid disbarment? -0-?
Maybe both.
On January 19, 2001, Clinton's law license was suspended for five years after he acknowledged to an Arkansas circuit court he had engaged in conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice in the Jones case.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cl ... _acquittal
Clinton also faced disbarment before the U.S. Supreme Court, but he opted to resign from the court's practice instead of facing any penalties.
https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/news ... w-license/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill- ... y-scandal/
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 pm
I agree with you. Mostly. But everybody, including Biden and Merrick, knows that the cases are very complex, mostly ploughing new ground, and in prosecution of a very vocal, somehow still popular with inflammatory people ex-president. All true, but I think it's more fear than MAGA-ness. Biden picked the wrong guy.
Of course Biden picked the wrong guy. Merrick seems to stand behind his guy.

“At trial, Mr. Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” the prosecutors wrote in their report released Thursday. “Based on our direct interactions with and observations of him, he is someone for whom many jurors will want to identify reasonable doubt. It would be difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him — by then a former president well into his eighties — of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness.”

Merrick’s guy has turned the dem man for president into some doddering old guy whose memory is so shot that he doesn’t even know when his son died.
And Biden still thinks he has a chance.

And we’re about to be stuck with another four years of trump as president, plus all the damages he’ll do that will plague us for many more years to come.

It’s all over now.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 am

It’s all over now.
It's really not.

We're still eight plus months out from the election and Donald is going to be in the headlines a ton for the wrong reasons. Between his ever increasing campaign gaffes and that make him look doddering and demented, his incessant screeching and lying about virtually everything every time he posts or gets in front of a camera and at least two criminal trials before the election he's also his own worst enemy.

Trumpaloons were and are going to depict Biden this way regardless of the report. Trump going to get 35-40% of the vote even if he shoots someone.

Biden really just needs to stfu, stay on script and quit stepping on his own dick.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

What GoCubsGo says.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 am
Of course Biden picked the wrong guy. Merrick seems to stand behind his guy.

“At trial, Mr. Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory,” the prosecutors wrote in their report released Thursday. “Based on our direct interactions with and observations of him, he is someone for whom many jurors will want to identify reasonable doubt. It would be difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him — by then a former president well into his eighties — of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness.”

Merrick’s guy has turned the dem man for president into some doddering old guy whose memory is so shot that he doesn’t even know when his son died.
And Biden still thinks he has a chance.

And we’re about to be stuck with another four years of trump as president, plus all the damages he’ll do that will plague us for many more years to come.

It’s all over now.
Hur's phrasing is harsh, but he is recognized as being partisan, which somewhat diminishes his impact.
Hur didn't point out that Joe "is six years older than Israel."
Hur didn't allow Defense secretary Lloyd Austin to skate.
Hur didn't approve a really stupid campaign slogan.
Hur didn't mix up Macron with Mitterrand and Kohl with Merkel.
Hur didn't call Egyptian President Mohamed al-Sisi the president of Mexico - while Joe was trying to debunk Hur!!!
That is all just in the last month. Add in the months beforehand and the ones to come :o

Yeah, I know that Dolt .45 flubs even more often, but the point is that no one needs the Hur Memo in order to characterize Joe as "some doddering old guy whose memory is ... shot". There are plenty of examples, plenty.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

So, we’re sunk.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:20 am
So, we’re sunk.
:D In a normal world, but nah. Joe's reputation is sunk except that he's surrounded by great people and has ordered and passed more and better policy than Obama did, all while the economy is booming. If Joe was running against Nikki Heat, Christie, Scott or the forgettable Govs, he would lose. He would still beat Vivek and I desperately hope America is smart enough that he would beat Fascist DerSantis. None of that matters, though. He's running against ex-PINO, who GoCubsGo describes so well. The age debate is a wash, TRE45QN's way more doddering and demented, his criminal enterprise is exposed, and he surrounds himself with suck-ups, morons and assholes. They've been obsessing about Joe's competence specifically to try and negate MAGA's obvious incompetence.

Joe can definitely beat that if he follows GoCubsGo's Rx - "stfu, stay on script and quit stepping on his own dick," and if he double checks his phone's crib list of current world leaders before referring to any of them.

If I was forced to wager, I would bet on Joe > Dolt .45 by a near landslide margin. The ads trashing ex-PINO will be spectacular! Nikki Heat's ads are tame compared to what Joe's scathing team will do.

More Chaos

It's Time to Support Leaders Who Support Our Troops
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

There are three types of choices: attract-repel, attract-attract, and repel-repel. Attract-repel is the easiest, you just pick the one you like. Attract-attract is difficult but pleasant in that you can be happy with either choice. Repel-repel is most difficult because you don't like either choice, don't expect to like either outcome, but you still have to make a choice. Biden-Trump is, for most people a repel-repel. But for all the old-guy yammer and right-wing Biden-bashing, when the wishing and hoping and denying are over and it's time to vote, there will be more people hold their nose and vote to keep Biden.

Unless - the positive energy is so low people stay away by the millions and Trump's cult shows up. Then we're in deep shit.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

You're underestimating trump's repel factor. It may be the greatest ever seen, many people are saying so.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:44 am
You're underestimating trump's repel factor. It may be the greatest ever seen, many people are saying so.
Yeah, we gotta count on that.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:29 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Yeah, we gotta count on that.
So much for high minded debate in a presidential election.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Great minds . . .
I thought about posting: Biden-Trump is, for most people a repel-repel.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
A president elected for no other reason than the other guy was completely unacceptable.
What a sorry state of affairs to hope for.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:27 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
A president elected for no other reason than the other guy was completely unacceptable.
What a sorry state of affairs to hope for.
Dolt .45 is the worst ever, but hasn't that been the situation most of our lives? Radicals like us don't get champions to vote for very often.

Edit: Maybe you mean that it's sad that most of America is in this position this year. If so, I agree.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

A similar view to ours, with slightly different motivation:
Merrick Garland’s 'rigid adherence to norms' aids 'Republican bad faith attacks': analysis

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics ... 9c9&ei=102

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:02 am
A similar view to ours, with slightly different motivation:
Merrick Garland’s 'rigid adherence to norms' aids 'Republican bad faith attacks': analysis

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics ... r-BB1iqPp2
... After the release of the Hur report, Biden was reportedly frustrated with his attorney general, with one unnamed Biden donor telling Politico that Democrats "bend over backwards not to look partisan, and then they end up hiring people that are partisan but in the other direction." He added that in regard to Hur's unflattering report, "there’s no question in my mind that the villain here is Merrick Garland."
MAGA Merrick, as billy.pilgrim says.
1312. ETTD.