ron deSanctimonious

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: ron deSanctimonious

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:22 pm
That's nutz. Clearly intended as a slam toward trans or other ambisextrous people, but with a truly bizarre side effect. Will it also be unlawful for a person to CALL someone by a nickname? Can a student choose to use their middle name? And are we really sure "Ron" is his legal name? And did his mother approve his change from "Ronald"?
No more tank, bolt, stretch and cadallac, or even Round Mound of Rebound in sports
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not even using initials, like "MJ" I guess. Apparently some Catholic schools have insisted on using "proper" names for years though. I had a couple of friends waaaay back that named their kid "TJ". Not "Thomas James", not "Teejay", but "TJ". Said at the time that's what they wanted to call him but if they named him Thomas or something the nuns at Catholic schools would make him use it. They were early 20's at the time, and maybe their judgement was skewed, or maybe they were right - I don't know, but that's what they thought. But in public school? It will be interesting to see how people react to this. I'm starting to think your fellow Floridians have been all mentally anesthetized to put up with all this without noticeable resistance.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:19 am
No more tank, bolt, stretch and cadillac, or even Round Mound of Rebound in sports
Was Barkley bald while still a minor? Bummer. ;)
O Really wrote:
That's nutz. Clearly intended as a slam toward trans or other ambisextrous people, but with a truly bizarre side effect. Will it also be unlawful for a person to CALL someone by a nickname? Can a student choose to use their middle name? And are we really sure "Ron" is his legal name? And did his mother approve his change from "Ronald"?
Great minds . . .
Ronald DeSantis, whose nickname is Ron, is making some Florida students get their parent's permission to use their nickname

Students who attend school in Florida will now need parental permission to use a nickname or preferred name in school, thanks to a law put in place by the state's governor, Ronald DeSantis, who famously goes by a nickname — Ron.

... Fox 35 Orlando reported Tuesday that parents from Orange County could have to fill out a form granting their child permission to use a different name in school, whether that be a nickname, a shortened version of their legal name (like Ron), or a preferred name altogether, according to a memo from the Orange County Public Schools Office of Legal Services to district leaders and principals that went out Monday....

But even if a parent fills out the permission slip to allow their student to use a different name in school, the student's teacher is still not permitted to address the student by the pronouns of their choosing, according to House Bill 1069....
:roll: Of course.

The article doesn't say whether this only applies to school employees or not. I know that there are limits on student civil liberties, but can the 1A rights of the nickname students and other students be negated in this instance? Will there be punishment for using alternate names and pronouns?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

When you consider the Jims, Bobs, Sams, Joes, Bettys, Liz's, etc. and yada, probably most kids will require some parental approval. An anecdote might give an idea of what my own parents would have done about that.

Sometime when I was around grade 5 or 6, I was absent - maybe sick, I don't remember. Anyway I reported the reason for my absence and the teacher wanted a note from my parents. They wouldn't write a note and eventually the teacher or principal or somebody called my pop.
Teacher: "your son was absent last Tuesday and we need a note from you."
Pop: "Did he tell you why he was absent?"
Teacher: "Yes, but we need a note from you."
Pop: "Do you know me? Have we ever met?"
Teacher: "No".
Pop: "But you know my son, right? You see him every day in class? And has he ever lied to you?"
Teacher: "Not that I know of."
Pop: "So why would you take the word of a total stranger over that of somebody you see every day and know to be honest?"

I can imagine Pop's reaction to getting a form to fill out giving permission to call me by my common name.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:08 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:19 am
No more tank, bolt, stretch and cadillac, or even Round Mound of Rebound in sports
Was Barkley bald while still a minor? Bummer. ;)
O Really wrote:
Great minds . . .
Ronald DeSantis, whose nickname is Ron, is making some Florida students get their parent's permission to use their nickname

Students who attend school in Florida will now need parental permission to use a nickname or preferred name in school, thanks to a law put in place by the state's governor, Ronald DeSantis, who famously goes by a nickname — Ron.

... Fox 35 Orlando reported Tuesday that parents from Orange County could have to fill out a form granting their child permission to use a different name in school, whether that be a nickname, a shortened version of their legal name (like Ron), or a preferred name altogether, according to a memo from the Orange County Public Schools Office of Legal Services to district leaders and principals that went out Monday....

But even if a parent fills out the permission slip to allow their student to use a different name in school, the student's teacher is still not permitted to address the student by the pronouns of their choosing, according to House Bill 1069....
:roll: Of course.

The article doesn't say whether this only applies to school employees or not. I know that there are limits on student civil liberties, but can the 1A rights of the nickname students and other students be negated in this instance? Will there be punishment for using alternate names and pronouns?
Round mound refered to the whole fat chuck, not the head.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

It would be a much duller world without "Gronk" "Beast Mode" or, if we went way back to "Crazy Legs." I know DeSantis' craziness doesn't cover adults (yet), but nicknames are a part of culture, and have changed a lot over time. They used to be more personal and often derogatory. When's the last time you heard anyone going by "Fats" "Tubby" "Slim" "Bucky" "Smelly" "Bones" etc.?

And when you look down this list, you realize how many commonly used names really are nicknames and would require parental approval.

https://www.usgenweb.org/research/nicknames.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:48 pm
Round mound referred to the whole fat chuck, not the head.
Ah, my bad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:31 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:48 pm
Round mound referred to the whole fat chuck, not the head.
Ah, my bad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley
From Wikipedia
In 2000, he retired as the fourth player in NBA history to achieve 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds, and 4,000 assists

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:25 pm
From Wikipedia
In 2000, he retired as the fourth player in NBA history to achieve 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds, and 4,000 assists
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Karl Malone
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/player ... 00-assists

Wiki:
Since his retirement, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and LeBron James have joined the 20K/10K/4K Club....
Very elite list. :-|| RMoR :-|| .

Standouts:
Rebounds: Chamberlain by far
Assists: James by nearly twice the next closest

:-|| :-|| :-|| :-||
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:25 pm
From Wikipedia
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Karl Malone
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/player ... 00-assists

Wiki:
Since his retirement, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and LeBron James have joined the 20K/10K/4K Club....
Very elite list. :-|| RMoR :-|| .

Standouts:
Rebounds: Chamberlain by far
Assists: James by nearly twice the next closest

:-|| :-|| :-|| :-||
Not bad for the chubbiest guy in basketball

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I love this- Pudding Fingers

https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-h ... ow-1819299

The protesters chanted "Go back to Florida" and "Go back to Florida, pudding fingers" through a bullhorn as DeSantis got off his campaign bus.

SIGN UP FOR The protesters chanted "Go back to Florida" and "Go back to Florida, pudding fingers" through a bullhorn as DeSantis got off his campaign bus.

Video of that moment was shared to social media site X, formerly Twitter, by The Recount on Friday

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:24 am
I love this- Pudding Fingers

https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-h ... ow-1819299

The protesters chanted "Go back to Florida" and "Go back to Florida, pudding fingers" through a bullhorn as DeSantis got off his campaign bus.

SIGN UP FOR The protesters chanted "Go back to Florida" and "Go back to Florida, pudding fingers" through a bullhorn as DeSantis got off his campaign bus.

Video of that moment was shared to social media site X, formerly Twitter, by The Recount on Friday
:lol:
... A new poll from the Republican-leaning pollster Cygnal published on Thursday showed that DeSantis is now the preferred option of just 10 percent of those polled, and he's running virtually neck-and-neck with businessman Vivek Ramaswamy on 11 percent.

Trump led both potential rivals with 53 percent support in findings consistent with the vast majority of recent polling.
:---P

TV pundit: Not one GOP FL member of Congress has endorsed Ron, not one.

:violin:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:54 pm
When you consider the Jims, Bobs, Sams, Joes, Bettys, Liz's, etc. and yada, probably most kids will require some parental approval. An anecdote might give an idea of what my own parents would have done about that.

Sometime when I was around grade 5 or 6, I was absent - maybe sick, I don't remember. Anyway I reported the reason for my absence and the teacher wanted a note from my parents. They wouldn't write a note and eventually the teacher or principal or somebody called my pop.
Pop: "But you know my son, right? You see him every day in class? And has he ever lied to you?"
Pop: "So why would you take the word of a total stranger over that of somebody you see every day and know to be honest?"

I can imagine Pop's reaction to getting a form to fill out giving permission to call me by my common name.
:D Mom gave me my nickname before I was born. It would have cracked her up to sign a permission slip for it. New note every year or only if the nickname changes? :headscratch:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Consider logistics: Each kid has more than one teacher, so if the parents send in the form to some administrative person, then they have to generate class lists of approved names. I think I would send in specified approvals: "My kid is "Einstein" in physics class, but must be referred to as "GOAT" in phys ed and "Shakespeare" in English class. Or maybe approve for him an unpronounceable name, like "Auchtermuchty"

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Iowa has been brutal for poor Ron.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:17 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:54 pm

:D Mom gave me my nickname before I was born. It would have cracked her up to sign a permission slip for it. New note every year or only if the nickname changes? :headscratch:
Same here, I was named after someone who only had a nickname, let's say Bill. There was never an intention to call me anything else, but for the sake of some strange reason they put we'll say William on the BC.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:43 am
Consider logistics: Each kid has more than one teacher, so if the parents send in the form to some administrative person, then they have to generate class lists of approved names. I think I would send in specified approvals: "My kid is "Einstein" in physics class, but must be referred to as "GOAT" in phys ed and "Shakespeare" in English class. Or maybe approve for him an unpronounceable name, like "Auchtermuchty"
Weekly name changes could be fun.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:25 pm
Iowa has been brutal for poor Ron.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 2511277056
It just gets worse:
Exclusive-DeSantis and his backers paid $95,000 to Iowa religious leader’s group, documents show

As Florida Governor Ron DeSantis scrambles to shore up his struggling run for the Republican presidential nomination, he has spent far more than any rival on courting an influential Christian conservative leader and his following in the key early voting state of Iowa.

Trailing far behind former President Donald Trump in national polls and beset by turmoil in his campaign, DeSantis and his advisers are spending heavily in Iowa in hopes of stalling Trump’s momentum by beating him in the state’s caucuses on Jan. 15, where Republicans begin to choose their next presidential nominee. The state’s influential evangelical voting base is crucial to that strategy.

The DeSantis campaign, a super PAC linked to him and a nonprofit group supporting him together paid $95,000 in recent months to the Family Leader Foundation, an Iowa-based nonprofit led by evangelical leader Bob Vander Plaats, according to campaign finance reports and a document prepared by an Iowa state lawmaker who was helping the Vander Plaats organization raise money for a July 14 presidential candidate forum....
This bribery would be bad enough regardless of recipient, but Vander Plaats is a serial LOSER:
Wiki:
... Active in Republican Party politics, Vander Plaats ran unsuccessfully for Governor of Iowa in 2002, 2006, and 2010. He was the party's nominee for lieutenant governor in 2006, losing to Democrat Patty Judge.

... Vander Plaats served as the Iowa state chair of Republican Presidential candidate and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee's 2008 failed presidential campaign....

In December 2011, Vander Plaats endorsed Rick Santorum for president....

In 2015, Vander Plaats endorsed Ted Cruz for President ...
Opps. Pander Splaats, and Fascist DerSantis hasn't even gotten his endorsement yet. Maybe eating a 1/4 lb. brown sugar pork belly on a stick will put him over the top.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Same here, I was named after someone who only had a nickname, let's say Bill. There was never an intention to call me anything else, but for the sake of some strange reason they put we'll say William on the BC.
:D Billy Pilgrim would have needed a note from his mommy.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
:D Billy Pilgrim would have needed a note from his mommy.
Nope, billy is my stage and forum name.

I would have needed the note to use Bill, the only name I have ever gone by,

Or I could have just willy-nilly changed my name to William without parental approval and over their objections without a note.